Bridget Redefined

Your membership into the Adventures in Odyssey Club grants you a special key! Here is the place to discuss all of the club exclusive episodes.
Peachey Keen
Caramel Crunch

Bridget Redefined

What did you all think of this episode? I liked it quite a bit and I think it's Bridget's best episode. It certainly seems to explain why she was insulting people in Man of the House with no repercussions.
ASmouseInTheHouse
Cookies & Creme

I also liked this episode, mainly because I can relate to it in some ways.
There's word going around about a goof in this episode. On Aiowiki, it says under the goof section on this episode "It had been previously established that Bridget works at Burger Barn. In this episode, she is working at Burger World." However, I listened to all Bridget's episodes, and in every one, it is clear that she works at Burger World. Not once is it mentioned that she works at Burger Barn.
"Next up, Mark Morgan's message to all math maniacs in the middle school is meaningful if you mingle by the mezzanine for a momentous mix of methodological mayhem and a menagerie of multiplicative inversions. Ha ha ha! I bet I could say this backwards. Inversions multiplicative of menagerie a and mayhem methodological..."
Bob
Caramel Crunch

What's interesting about the episode is the presence Mr. Perkins has, even though he's not physically there, being seven thousand miles away. Bridget flagrantly disobeys her mother, who is actually with her and probably even right next to her, but the moment he's onscreen, you can perceive the shift in the atmosphere, and that she is now, and only now, in deep trouble.

This is something of a dysfunction in the family relationship. I don't know if Mrs. Perkins is naturally a light disciplinarian or if she let up a bit after her husband left the country, but we see that she's unable to control her children to a degree that's unusual for an Odyssey parent. Even Rodney obeyed and feared both of his parents to an extent, when they got serious, but we don't see that level of authority here. Wyatt is naturally agreeable and tends to cooperate anyway, but when Bridget bucks, it takes her father, the center of her world, to check her.
A classic never goes out of style.
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

ASmouseInTheHouse wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 am
I also liked this episode, mainly because I can relate to it in some ways.
Agreed. I found this episode super relatable, and it applies to many other situations than just a military family.
Bob wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:44 am
What's interesting about the episode is the presence Mr. Perkins has, even though he's not physically there, being seven thousand miles away. Bridget flagrantly disobeys her mother, who is actually with her and probably even right next to her, but the moment he's onscreen, you can perceive the shift in the atmosphere, and that she is now, and only now, in deep trouble.

This is something of a dysfunction in the family relationship. I don't know if Mrs. Perkins is naturally a light disciplinarian or if she let up a bit after her husband left the country, but we see that she's unable to control her children to a degree that's unusual for an Odyssey parent. Even Rodney obeyed and feared both of his parents to an extent, when they got serious, but we don't see that level of authority here. Wyatt is naturally agreeable and tends to cooperate anyway, but when Bridget bucks, it takes her father, the center of her world, to check her.
This is an interesting observation. I personally see this as more of a relationship issue than one of discipline or control. You referred to Bridget's father as the center of her world, and he is exactly that. A lot of girls have stronger relationships with their dads than with their moms. Bridget's dad is her hero. She looks up to him more than anyone in the world, and she fears his disappointment more than any form of discipline.

That being said, Bridget's behavior does definitely imply some level of dysfunction, but nothing outside of what you'd expect from her family situation. To me, the tensions here actually provide a nice level of believability. It can also be noted that the Perkinses are not believers at this point, so we can't expect them to act quite like the typical Odyssey family (which is another aspect I LOVE about this family).

On the whole, I thought this was a really solid episode, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Perkins family story arc develops.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper
Wooton is the best character on Odyssey ever. Fight me.

"It's not that we don't make sense, it's that we have a different way of looking at things that do make sense." ~Wooton Bassett