Eleventh Doctor Q&A

What's your favorite color? What's your most embarrassing memory? From the usual questions, to the bizarre, here is where you can ask any question of others, so grab a chair and chat!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Eleventh Doctor wrote:
Miss Friendship wrote:
GJFH wrote:Do you personally think communion should be open or closed?
Very much closed, I think that's how the Church has historically practiced it and the New Testament has a lot to say about the serious nature of taking communion unworthily.
When you say unworthily, are you referring to a Christian who has yet to be baptized or pre-destination?
Would you say you believe it would be wrong for a Christian to serve in the Military? (This question is more personal)
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I do mean one who has yet to be baptized but also for me I'm Orthodox which means we practice closed communion with only other Orthodox.

I think this is a complicated question. I think a Christian can serve in the military but the Early Church was pretty clear that doing so was pretty damaging to the individual and required that they be denied communion for a time as penance.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I don't think we're able to fly here or in heaven. Flying equals angels since media.
Why not? Since when is heaven incapable of something like that?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I wasn't saying it's impossible just speaking against the often portrayed view of heaven that we're all angels.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I wasn't saying it's impossible just speaking against the often portrayed view of heaven that we're all angels.
Which I never indicated in the least bit....

If you could fly, how often would you do it?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I know you didn't, sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Well it would depend on how fast I could fly and whether it required concentration to keep flying. Because if I couldn't fly very fast or if I could suddenly fall then there wouldn't be much point in flying.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Favorite fictional book released so far this year? Nonfictional?

Do you think it's possible a third party candidate like Gary Johnson may attend the debates this year? If so would you see that as a positive or negative?

Is the two party system good in principle? Is it permanently broken, currently broken, or in good overall shape but simply with poor candidates this election?

What do you think was the view of the Scribe who recorded Beowulf on Beowulf's culture?

Favorite comic book or series?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Pound Foolish wrote:Favorite fictional book released so far this year? Nonfictional?
I rarely read books the year they come out, I usually wait until they go down in price. I had to think really hard about one I had read that came out this year. I read Borderline by Mishell Baker which was one of my favorite books of all time actually. It's a noir urban fantasy set in LA about a double amputee with mental illness problems that makes those issues both part of the story but also doesn't define the characters by those issues. As far as nonfiction, I don't think I've read a non-fiction book published this year. I'm currently reading A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War about Tolkien and Lewis' experiences during WW1.
Pound Foolish wrote:Do you think it's possible a third party candidate like Gary Johnson may attend the debates this year? If so would you see that as a positive or negative?
I think if there was ever a year where it was possible this is the year. I would view his inclusion as a positive since it would raise the awareness of third parties to a whole new level and make them viable, especially in local elections where the third parties need to start.
Pound Foolish wrote:Is the two party system good in principle? Is it permanently broken, currently broken, or in good overall shape but simply with poor candidates this election?
I think a two party system is one of the worst things in politics, the founding fathers never intended for there to be political parties so when they formed in the second election of our country the system broke right then and there. If we didn't have such a strong national myth around the founding fathers and the writing of our Constitution I would be arguing for a complete overhaul of our political system but as it is we have to work with what we've got because despite drastically different interpretations of it everyone in our country, no matter where they are on the political spectrum, view the Constitution as one of the greatest political documents ever; the conservative side going so far as to claim divine inspiration.
Pound Foolish wrote:What do you think was the view of the Scribe who recorded Beowulf on Beowulf's culture?
I do not know enough about Beowulf to say.
Pound Foolish wrote:Favorite comic book or series?
Either the Saga or Ms Marvel comics.

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

What do you think about the gaffe Gary Johnson made in regards to Aleppo and his handling of that mistake? Do you think it'll affect his chances in the election?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I don't think he ever had a real chance of winning the election. It was an embarrassing gaffe, he really should have known about Aleppo but the media and individuals rushing to chide him have continually shown their own ignorance of the issue by calling it Syria's capital or saying it is occupied by ISIS. Also in the interview after he was told that Aleppo was a city in Syria he articulated a clear and sensible position on Syria, something the other candidates haven't done. I also doubt Trump knows what Aleppo is and Clinton is one of the key figures responsible for the crisis there so overall I think the issue has been overblown.

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

How do you usually conduct research for your debates? I'm assuming you don't always the internet since you probably prefer verifiable resources you are able to reference.

Which book was your favourite as a child?
Do you mind if I ask if you have any siblings?
Besides an avid debater, who would you like to be known as?
Do you mind if I ask if you're currently living in the U.S?
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Actually I pretty much always use the internet, when I first started debating I was still using books but there's plenty of verifiable sources on the internet now. As long as the online source is credible and is part of a peer reviewed organization I'm fine with using sources from the internet. When I'm conducting research I generally look at different think tanks and mainstream news outlets for information. I also have a couple journals, such as the Economist, the Atlantic, or the New Republic that I reference a lot.

My favorite book as a child was probably Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe

I have two siblings, both younger, a brother and a sister.

I'd like to be known as an Orthodox Christian

I just moved back to the US from Toronto.

Didi
Cookies & Creme

Can I call you Ed?
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

You can call me ED

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Do you believe Entertainment should have a point?
What would you consider quality Christian entertainment?
Do you ever listen to mainstream music?
Would you say Social Media has led to the degradation of morals and respect? Or perhaps it's only a platform for people to display their disrespect?
I was having a discussion about this the other day and I'd like to hear your thoughts :) .

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

GJFH wrote:Do you believe Entertainment should have a point?
Yes, I think it should promote truth and beauty.
GJFH wrote:What would you consider quality Christian entertainment?
Having worked in the Christian entertainment for several years I don't consider entertainment that identifies itself as Christian to be good, at least I haven't seen any yet.
GJFH wrote:Do you ever listen to mainstream music?
Pretty much exclusively, I listen to some church music but no contemporary Christian music.
GJFH wrote:Would you say Social Media has led to the degradation of morals and respect? Or perhaps it's only a platform for people to display their disrespect?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by degradation of respect?

As for morals, no I don't think it has I think our morals are pretty much unchanged from the age before social media.

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

What are your thoughts on Driverless cars?
Do you think America would be better off with a smaller or larger government?
Who are your politicians you admire and respect?

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think driver less cars are amazing and will usher in a new age of road safety and practically eliminate congestion. We should be getting them on the road as soon as possible.

I think America would be better off with a smaller government, in fact I think America should be divided into a dozen smaller countries, we're just too big geographically and culturally to be ruled from one capital.

Ron and Rand Paul are two politicians I admire and respect. Not many others.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Have you ever done any gardening?

What's your favorite type of flowers? What about of weeds?

Can one believe in demons without believing in God?

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I have done gardening before, when I lived in Texas the local homeschool group had a communal vegetable garden. I planted sunflowers in England and did some gardening in Alabama and here in Virginia too.

My favorite type of flower is sunflower.

I guess one could, I mean one could believe there are evil supernatural things in the world without believing in God. Not sure why they'd separate the two though. You could also believe in other gods and also demons.