Ask Arnold

What's your favorite color? What's your most embarrassing memory? From the usual questions, to the bizarre, here is where you can ask any question of others, so grab a chair and chat!
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I actually like Saxon Math. It can be rather challenging, and sometimes I don't get every concept at first, but I think it goes at a pace suited to me.

None. Let's just say I was inspired by the Eugene Sings song "I'll Never Sneeze Again".
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Arnold, you do Saxon too? Cool.

How mortified would you be if I published all of your old blog posts from two-four years ago?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Sheesh that would be brutal.
When do you do your devotion?
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

What blog are you referring to?

I must confess I don't really do a "formal" devotion of any sort, though I probably should. I typically pray to and talk to God right before I fall asleep.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I forget the web address, but I recall you mentioning a blog you did from Alex Jefferson's perspective.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Oh, yes. It was rather abysmal, but I wouldn't be TOO mortified if you decided to republish the posts.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

If you could go back and talk to a famous historical person, who would you see and what would you talk about/ask him or her?
If you could go on vacation with a famous person (contemporary person), who would it be?
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:If you could go back and talk to a famous historical person, who would you see and what would you talk about/ask him or her?
You mean I can only pick just one? :P Here's five, in no particular order, along with reasons why I would want to meet them:

Socrates -- Just to potentially see the Socratic method put to action by the master himself.
Richard Nixon -- I personally find him the most fascinating and contradictory President.
Beethoven -- The Third Movement of his 9th Symphony may be my favorite piece of music ever.
Shakespeare -- Just cause he's Shakespeare.
CS Lewis -- My favorite Christian writer.
HomeschoolCowgirl wrote:If you could go on vacation with a famous person (contemporary person), who would it be?
Um... I'd probably have to say Bob Dylan, or any of the veteran Pixar directors.
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I did saxon math for many years and I found it fine. If you are into children's literature (one of my biggest passions in life) please read the time quintet by Madeline L'engel or at least the first two. A Wrinkle in Time and a Wind at the Door. Two of my favourites. Also the ones you named are super grand. Also did you like Chronicles of Narnia? I LOVE LOVE LOVE A Horse and His Boy. That book and A Wind at the Door changed my world view. I tried to read A Mere Christianity but couldn't get through it, it bored me. I've seen Psycho, I'm not much of a movie watcher it is the only Hitchcock I've seen I had to see it for a media studies class. I hated it and couldn't shower when I was home alone without panicking for quite some time.

Oh yeah I have to ask a question rather than just commenting on all your answers to old questions. I am just now realizing how old this is, oh well I don't care. When are you most happy?
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I never finished the Chronicles of Narnia. When I was young, it was rare for me to finish even the simplest of chapter books in a reasonable time, so I would often stop in the middle, discard the book, and pick up something else. I am happy to say that now, in my old age, that habit has died away. Perhaps I will one day get to finishing up Narnia (I read the first two and had a strange fascination with the beginning of Magician's Nephew, but I always found the end boring as a 7-year old, and didn't finish it until about a year ago, for school), though I will confess that it's not my highest priority in the world of reading right now. I've never seen Psycho, as it's the only famous Hitchcock movie I'm not allowed to see.

I'm typically most happy after I've worked hard at something, completed it, and feel at least semi-satisfied with it. Lately, that has applied to drawing more than anything else. I'm a spectacularly bad drawer. Seriously, I'm not just being humble here. I'm one of the worst drawers I know, and that's saying something when you consider that I've always been a bit more intrigued by art that your average Joe. Still, I'm determined to be, at the very least, a passable drawer. I got a book, Drawing on the Right Side of Your Brain, that has helped me quite a bit, and I ideally spend about an hour on drawing per day. Every time I complete a complex drawing of any sort, I feel a little bit elated for about 10 minutes, almost regardless of how bad the proportions are (Like young Van Gogh, proportions are my biggest struggle. As far as our artistic similarities, that's about it. :P). I'm hoping this is a passing phase, and that as I get marginally better I'll feel more frustrated with bad proportions and make a real effort to improve them. For now, however, I'll stay focused on the painful ordeal that is drawing a straight line. :P