Favorite Odyssey Couple?

If it ships, it fits! Think Jennie is a match made in heaven? Think Jason and Tasha are meant to be? Here's where to discuss your OTP!
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

WHY?! Give me reasons for why they would go well together! I haven't heard any yet!
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

*Joins the battle* I like that idea!
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

YES!! PennyBassett, I am SOOO on your side!! Buck and Olivia does NOT work!
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
Autumnal
Chocolate Chip

Wait, Buck/Olivia? wHY?…Although I really want to hear why you think they'd make a good couple.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Same!! But I haven't heard any! It's just something people say if they don't ship him and Jules.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Autumnal
Chocolate Chip

I kinda want Buck to figure out his life and all before I ship him with anyone, to be honest. But I can't say I like Jules/Buck that much either.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

See, once you get the past the fact that Jules obviously has a crush on Buck, they would actually make a wonderful couple. They both have had past issues and struggles that, if not as a couple they could at least work through together as friends. They have the same love language. Most people don't realize it but their love language is acts of kindness/service. We see this when Buck does things for Eugene and Katrina around the house, when he paint's Whit's End, when he walks Jules home, and even how angry he gets at Vance when he sees that he's not treating Jules right. Evidence of this being Jule's love language is proven by how much she's affected by June saving Connie's school things and you can tell she's appreciative of Buck for walking her home. They understand each other. They get how hard life can be. They have/are both struggling with depression. And could help one another through some of those challenges. And well, they care about each other, as proven in The Ties That Bind. You can tell that Buck likes her by how he treats her in comparison to how he recklessly flirts with girls like Camilla or Emily. Then, can we all agree that Jules has a crush on Buck? Cause, well, she does. So, yeah. That was longer than I planned on it being but if anyone has reasons for why Buck and Olivia would be good together I'd love to hear them!
Autumnal
Chocolate Chip

I can do walls of text too! =D
I kind of just saw them doing those things because they're not rude people. For the most part. Yeah, you should tell someone to be nicer to someone else when they're being unnecessarily cruel, you should probably walk someone home because it's the polite thing to do, you should say thank you because they went out of their way to be polite. It's not becuase you're interested in them, but because you're a decent person that way.

I think half of the reason why Buck likes helping other people is because it's his way of saying thank you and sorry at the same time; not necessarily to say, "I care about you." It certainly is possible that it is him saying that (we don't really know that much about him, after all), but we don't know that for sure. I think it's also addressed that Katrina and Eugene want him to stop trying to help so much because of his motives for doing so? He didn't really do any of that in GRC. Whether or not it's due to circumstances, or his time in juvenile detention, we can't be sure.

Not gonna try to refute the "Jules has a crush on Buck," point because it's pretty possible. He's the heartthrob of every girl out there. I'm not completely sold on Buck knowing specifically what he's doing when he's flirting with other girls, however. What probably happened was that Skint taught him what to say to younger girls, and how to make them like you, lowerig their guards, but not really telling him the part about the "flirting," thing. Skint knew Buck was a charming person, and he likely used that for all it was worth. He didn't stop it (he's toned down from it, probably because he got chastised by Eugene for doing it) because it made people like him. Just…not for the reasons he probably thinks. He's probably around sixteen now and I really doubt he would deliberately be toying with twelve to thirteen-year-old girls' emotions.
Didi
Cookies & Creme

Good point, Autumnal.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Ok first. Don't you ever say that Buck is sixteen again, because he's not. He's fourteen. Yes, ok Odyssey ages are weird. But he's definitely still fourteen. He's still in middle school. And while there was some truth to what you said, I'm still hooked on the idea that Buck's love language is acts of service. I agree that it may not be completely accurate, however, it's our best guess.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Fam, I'm taking six classes and stressed 24/7. I wanted to give a good explanation for my trashiness. Let me have this. :P
Autumnal wrote:I kinda want Buck to figure out his life and all before I ship him with anyone, to be honest. But I can't say I like Jules/Buck that much either.
First of all, yes. This. If I'm going to ship Buck and anyone, regardless of who it is, it's going to be when he's in a place of emotional and spiritual stability and greater maturity. Any relationship Buck has, friendship or romance or anything else, is going to be a pretty slow burn. Someone like Buck should realistically take a long time to trust people and let them in to see his vulnerabilities and insecurities; any relationship he has is going to be built on a sturdy foundation.

Anyway, as to why I ship Buck and Olivia...frankly, I don't exactly know why. I haven't given it a whole lot of thought because my entire AIO fandom life has been submerged into a vat of glorious Trandiness from which I shall never surface, so that's the kind of thing I could actually give you an informed opinion on.

But there's just something about it that I like. Buck is laid-back, snarky, street-smart, and a bit of a rebel, but a lot of that is just surface-level stuff. He's emotionally sensitive, something of a loner (probably owing to trust issues), independent (he likes handling things his way), perceptive, and good-hearted. Olivia is a take-charge go-getter with a massive savior complex and a generally sunny and friendly disposition. She's passionate, she's kind, she's bright, and she's kind of a control freak.

I like that they clearly balance each other. Buck is a fairly outspoken realist who isn't afraid to deal with a strong personality like Olivia's; she could benefit from having someone who can be a patient voice of reason and will be honest with her without being aggressive about it. Meanwhile, Olivia is a strong-willed, fierce person who comes up with ideas and goes after them, and I think Buck would benefit from being around someone who's so optimistic. I think they'd at least make a pretty great team of friends, romance or not.
PennyBasset wrote:Ok first. Don't you ever say that Buck is sixteen again, because he's not. He's fourteen.
Okay, there's really no need to sound so offended. =P She just made a conjecture about his age; she didn't say he's like, a worthless piece of human garbage or something.
PennyBassett wrote:But he's definitely still fourteen. He's still in middle school.
To be fair, he was in juvenile detention for an untold amount of time. It's not really unrealistic for him to be a little older than the average middle schooler.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Autumnal
Chocolate Chip

Maybe he's fifteen, then? Can I say that? cx

He's almost definitely older than fourteen, though because of the time he spent in juvenile detention. I agree wholeheartedly that Odyssey ages are super funky but they know what age to make their characters after a certain event happens. And fourteen is too old to be in middle school too, isn't it?

Hm, thanks for your comments about Buck/Olivia, TigerShadow! I'm still not super into it but I can understand it better now.
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I've honestly stopped trying to figure out Buck's age. He acts like a fourteen year old tho. And btw, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything I just wanted to be over dramatic about things for a second.
Shadow
Peach Cobbler

TigerShadow wrote:Just gonna throw this out there, but...

Buck/Olivia.

-is attacked-
Agreed. Olivia would be perfect for Buck. *is killed*
I'm Monty Whittaker's greatest fan. member of the K.R.E
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

*Penny is found standing over him with a bloodstained knife.*
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Autumn wrote:And fourteen is too old to be in middle school too, isn't it?
Not at all; it's exactly the right age for an eighth grader. I was fourteen for almost all of my eighth grade year, since my birthday's in September.
PennyBassett wrote:And btw, I wasn't trying to be mean or anything I just wanted to be over dramatic about things for a second.
I mean, fair enough, but when you do that you have to give some indication that you're not being serious, like a smiley or something. We can't see or hear you; all we have is the words you type.
PennyBassett wrote:*Penny is found standing over him with a bloodstained knife.*
-Tiger utilizes her mod powers and hauls Penny off to jail because murder is illegal- ;)

So if anyone needed further proof that I am a 100% proven dumpster diver for Trent and Mandy, here you go.
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

As much as I respect and Understand Trent and Mandy are end game. I kinda like Jared and Mandy. *Hides Behind Wall.*
*Finger guns aggressively*
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

That's okay. I'm just going to duel you to the death using an essay I've had constructed in my head for just such an occasion. ^_^
truAIOfan
Cookies & Creme

Agent.MontyWhittaker wrote:
TigerShadow wrote:Just gonna throw this out there, but...

Buck/Olivia.

-is attacked-
Agreed. Olivia would be perfect for Buck. *is killed*
I agree! :D I think that is a perfect idea! I don't really care for Buck and Jules together.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.” -Corrie Ten Boom
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

Well Okay then. \:D/
*Finger guns aggressively*