ProtoMitch!

If it ships, it fits! Think Jennie is a match made in heaven? Think Jason and Tasha are meant to be? Here's where to discuss your OTP!
Patterson
Strawberry

ProtoMitch!

I was listening to some early episodes the other day and stumbled upon Connie's perfect husband!

Robert aka "ProtoMitch" from Go Ye Therefore.

Here are 11 reasons (that's right, you get one extra) why ProtoMitch is perfect for Connie:

1: He has no last name. This way Connie can remain Connie Kendall.

2: He's a Christian who's on fire for God. Seriously, he and Connie put gospel tracts in library books!

3: He's not old like Jason. Jason was 8 when his brother left for the Vietnam War. I know Odyssey time is wonky, but it's still too weird.

4:He's an obscure classic character, just like Jeff Lewis. Perfect for shoehorning into modern AiO!

5: His name is Robert, just like Connie's ex. Connie by no means has any leftover emotional damage reguarding men named Robert.

6: He's not a bush pilot or a spy (that we know of anyway...) He is much less likely to have an untimely death and leave Connie a young widow.

7: He is voiced by Steve Burns. Sharing the same voice actor as Rodney Rathbone means that he will be available to record everytime this common odyssey character is already in an episode.

8: As far as we know, he's not already married. Take that Mitch fans!

9: Unlike Mitch, he can return before cats go extinct.

10: He will not be confused for real-life racecar driver Jeff Lewis. Fortunately, Robert is an extremely uncommon name in that profession.

11. Without detailed explaination, it will confuse Mitch shippers to no end. The entertainment value alone for the AiO fandom will be worth it. For extra entertainment value, he could be recently divorced from a woman named Maureen.

#ProtoMitchIsPerfect
Polehaus53
Cookies & Creme

Good topic, Patterson! I actually listened to "Go Ye Therefore" recently and this did cross my mind.

Robert is introduced less than a minute into the episode with Connie's line, "Robert, this friend of mine from church, got me reading this book about evangelism". We then hear him star alongside Connie for two scenes in the episode. The book Evangelism Made Easy (by an author whose name I'm too lazy to attempt typing because it was complicated and even Whit has trouble pronouncing it) gives several tips on how to evangelize which Robert and Connie do together. The two of them seemed to get along well during this, but I got the impression that Connie was pretty annoyed with him after they got kicked out of the bookstore. But then again, maybe they still spoke to each other after that. Robert has only been heard in this episode, so I am finding it difficult to make any solid assessments.

I'll now respond to some of your points.
Patterson wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 5:47 pm
2: He's a Christian who's on fire for God. Seriously, he and Connie put gospel tracts in library books!
He is indeed a Christian. But when I was listening to him, I initially kept getting reminded of the character Seth Young; one who might go to questionable extremes for the sake of evangelism. The character of Seth Young has been discussed before in this topic if anyone wants to throw in a few words there. However, upon thinking it through, I now think that it might not be fair to make this comparison, considering that Robert has only appeared in one episode and his behavior in this one instance probably shouldn't define his character. So, I'll just leave it at he is indeed a Christian; which I think is already a great start.

Patterson wrote:
3: He's not old like Jason.
I'll keep this brief, since this touches on the complex issue of character ages and Odyssey Time, two subjects that I generally do not invest much energy in because they confuse me too much. :mad:
Yes, they are both undoubtedly close in age. That'll make things easier, because then you won't have to run complex calculations like you would when Jason and Connie are shipped. :D

Patterson wrote:
4:He's an obscure classic character, just like Jeff Lewis. Perfect for shoehorning into modern AiO!
YES! I am always in favor of returning characters from the old days of AIO to the modern times. Robert definitely would work perfectly as a random character to bring back. And like you said in another point, it would bring Steve Burns back! \:D/

Patterson wrote:
10: He will not be confused for real-life racecar driver Jeff Lewis. Fortunately, Robert is an extremely uncommon name in that profession.
I am not very familiar with racecars or drivers, so I had no idea that Jeff Lewis was the real-life name of one of them. That's pretty cool. But yeah, I can get behind this point. Let's lessen the confusion! Hmm, I wonder if Jeff Lewis has ever listened to Adventures in Odyssey...

So, overall, are Connie and Robert good shipping/couple material? Perhaps. I would not be opposed. However, I think that I would need to have Robert to modern AIO before we make anything official. I would definitely be interested in hearing from him again. :yes:

Thanks for the topic, Patterson, I enjoyed thinking about this!
-Signed, PolehausFifty-three

Member of The Emily Rules Klub (est. 2012)

“We have it translated in every language: (กฎของเอมิลี่, Emily es la mejor, 艾米莉规则, Emily Quy tắc!, エミリーは最高です, emilyyay ulesray!, Эмили Правила!, Emily é a melhor, एमिली नियम!, Emily est la meilleure!, إميلي هي الأفضل!, Emily Kuralları!, אמילי שולטת!, Emily Regeln!, 에밀리 담당!, Si Emily ang pinakamahusay!, എമിലി രാജ്ഞിയാണ്!, એમિલી નિયમો!) that Emily RULES!”~The E.R.K.