ByeByeBrownie Fanfiction

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Aw, thank you! I really enjoy writing for them. :inlove:

By the way, I am in need of a new chapter from you soon!! :)
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper
Wooton is the best character on Odyssey ever. Fight me.

"It's not that we don't make sense, it's that we have a different way of looking at things that do make sense." ~Wooton Bassett
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Ugh yes! I'm working on it! I keep hitting walls in my writing, but I'll get it to you asap!
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Chapter 8
Connie stopped by to check on me on her way up to bed.

“You doing okay, Jules? No—I’m sorry—that’s a dumb question. Of course you’re not okay. I’M not okay. Um, what I meant was, do you need anything before I go upstairs?”

I shrugged. “Nah, I’m okay.”

The look in her eyes told me she didn’t quite believe me, but she didn’t pry. “Alright. Well, goodnight, Jules. Just holler if you need anything.”

She closed the door softly, and I could hear her slipper-shod feet padding away down the carpeted hallway.

“Wait. Connie?”

She immediately reappeared in the doorway.

“Yeah?”

“Will you stay with me? Maybe you could just talk to me for a while, you know, until I fall asleep or something? I think I’m too wound up to fall asleep, and I don’t want to be alone with the voices in my head right now. They’ve got some pretty scary things to say, and I…”

She didn’t even let me finish. “Oh Jules, of course I will!”

She curled up in the chair next to my bed and began to chatter softly. Then, before I knew what was happening, I found myself telling her my story. About how my mother, a washed-up actress herself, was so consumed with making me a star that she’d almost starved me to death. About how she’d dragged me from audition to audition, hoping I’d somehow make it big. But I didn’t.

She was constantly kissing up to casting directors and producers, literally and figuratively. I cringed inside, remembering the many nights I’d spent hiding out in the basement when she’d bring them home with her, in varying degrees of sobriety. I hated the way they looked at me, the way they talked about me, the way they touched me—like I was a piece of merchandise.

I was safe at Dad’s for the most part, though. If only for the sole reason that he couldn’t care less about me. I wasn’t part of his business plan, and therefore, he wasn’t interested. He didn’t care what I did, as long as it kept me out of his hair. And he returned the favor by steering way clear of me when he’d stagger home every Friday night after drinking too much at the company cocktail hour.

“I spent my time running back and forth between the two of them,” I explained. “I’d stay with one till I couldn’t stand it anymore, and then I’d take off for the other. It was kind of exhausting. You know, this might actually be a record for the longest I’ve ever stayed in one place.”

I paused to collect my thoughts. I couldn’t believe how candid I was being. I had never opened up to anyone like this before. Not even Buck.

Connie shifted her weight in the chair and gazed at me with concern in her eyes. “Wow, Jules, I had no idea. I’m sorry you had to go through all that. But I’m so glad you’re here now.”

I laughed lightly. “Yeah, me too, I guess. You know, I never planned on staying here. After the whole Perilous Pen fiasco, I swore I’d never set foot in this town again. But when I got back to LA, all my friends—er—well, they weren’t really my friends—more like political allies, actually. Anyway, they all totally ghosted me. There wasn’t anything left for me there anymore. No one cared if I stayed or if I left. So I left. I figured I’d hang out here until I was sick of it and then move on again, just like I always had. But—I don’t know—there’s something about this place. I think—just maybe—I might finally want to stay this time.”

“I know what you mean. I felt just the same when I first came here.”

It dawned on me that she hadn’t always lived here.

“Oh yeah? When did you first come to Odyssey?”

Then she told me all about moving here with her mom in the aftermath of her parents’ divorce. About how lost she’d felt in the strange new place that was so different from anything she’d ever known. How angry she’d been at Dad for hurting her mom the way he had, and how helpless she’d felt to do anything about any of it. But then one afternoon she wandered into Whit’s End, and nothing was ever the same after that.

“I had no idea then how my life would change, all because of that place. Because of Whit. But, no, it was God, really.”

“God, huh?”

“Look—Jules—“

What I said next really surprised her. To be honest, it surprised me, too—even though it was exactly what had been going on in my head for weeks now.

“Connie, I think I’m ready to believe.”

“WHAT?!”

She threw her arms around me, and for a moment I couldn’t breathe. Then we were both laughing and crying at the same time.

“I thought you didn’t… I mean, you never…”

I pulled Connie’s Bible off the shelf and held it up to her.

“I’ve been reading this every night. I wanted to…to see for myself what the Jesus thing was all about. I saw Him in you, Connie, and I hoped that I could maybe have that for myself.”

“You can, Jules!” she exclaimed, laugh-crying some more.

I nodded, a feeling of lightness stealing over me. Everything I’d been trying to understand—about life, about God—everything—finally it all made sense to me. He was the one who had brought me here. He was the one who’d allowed me to meet the sister I never knew I had, who had modeled so sincerely what love and forgiveness are all about. Nothing that had happened to me over the past several years had been an accident.

With my sister’s hand in mine, through tears of joy and trembling lips, I muddled my way through what’s known in Christianity as “the sinner’s prayer.” I couldn’t tell you what it was I said, or if it made any sense at all. All I know is that He heard me. And that was all that mattered.

My face hurt from smiling, and I was gasping for breath. I was a big sloppy mess, but I didn’t care.

I fell asleep that night with my heart singing.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

"It's not that we don't make sense, it's that we have a different way of looking at things that do make sense." ~Wooton Bassett
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

And here are the last two chapters!

Chapter 9
There was a memorial service for Valerie at Odyssey Community Church a few days later. I stayed home. I just wasn’t ready yet to face the onslaught of emotions I knew would be waiting for me there.

Connie went, though. It was crazy to think that she had known Valerie for years longer than she’d known I even existed.

I slumped on the couch, staring at my phone. Buck had texted me days ago, and I’d left his message on read. Perfect gentleman that he was, I knew he wasn’t going to push me to talk before I was ready.

All the same, I wondered if the silence between us was killing him like it was killing me. I missed my best friend. I wanted so desperately to talk to him. To tell him what had happened to me—how I was a follower of Jesus now. But I was scared.

Over the past few months, a deep bond had developed between the two of us—something so fragile and special—and I was terrified of doing anything that might break it. I feared my new relationship with Jesus might drive a wedge between us.

A series of loud bangs coming from the kitchen interrupted my thoughts, and I peeped my head in to investigate.

“I’m making vegan cupcakes! Wanna help?” Jillian hollered, half-buried in the cabinet where we kept the muffin pans.

“Nah, you go ahead.”

“Do you want to talk?”

I shrugged. “No, not really.”

I hated to brush her off like that, but I knew I needed space to grieve and process everything on my own. Besides, happy-go-lucky Jillian was the last person I expected to be able to understand any of what I was feeling.

I slowly climbed the stairs to my room and flopped down on the bed.

I tried to read Connie’s Bible, but just found myself staring off into space. So I began to pray. I reveled in the newfound privilege of prayer. It wasn’t like some kind of magic spell that suddenly made everything okay again, but it gave me a sense that there was a purpose in it all somehow, like what had happened was all part of something bigger than myself. And it brought a certain peace that I had never known before.

When Connie got back from the memorial service, she made her way quietly up to my room and tapped on the door.

“It’s open,” I called, rolling over to face her.

“How you doing?”

“I’m alright. I prayed for a long time, and that was really…good. How was the memorial service?”

“It was nice—“ She cut herself off. “No. No, it wasn’t. There’s nothing nice about… Well… I guess they made it as nice a tribute as they could. Poor Nelson is devastated. Buck sat with him the whole time, though. That was really sweet of him, don’t you think?”

I nodded, avoiding her eyes.

“He asked about you. He said he hasn’t heard from you in a couple of days. He’s worried about you.”

When I didn’t respond, she began again. “You know…He’s not going to stop being your friend, just because you’re a Christian now. You should give him more credit than that.”

I hadn’t expected her to be so perceptive, and it caught me off guard. My jaw must have dropped open, and I just stared at her, speechless.

“Just a thought, but…” She continued. “Have you thought about praying for Buck? He’s hurting right now, too, you know.”

I nodded, tears smarting at my eyes. I did know. It struck me then how selfish I’d been in all of this. He had been there, rock-solid for me when I needed him. Maybe it was time I returned the favor.

“You’re right,” I sniffed. “I should be praying for him. And maybe I’ll see if he wants to meet up later or something.”

“That sounds like a good idea. I’ll leave you to it.” She touched my shoulder reassuringly, then turned to leave the room.

“Wait, Connie?”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks.”

She smiled softly. “That’s what big sisters are for.”

A wave of nervous relief washed over me as I reached for my phone.

Hey
                Can we talk?

Chapter 10
I found Buck waiting for me in our special spot behind the caboose. My heart skipped a beat when his eyes met mine, and I ran to him and threw my arms around his neck. For a moment, we just held each other. I wanted to stay there forever and never let go.

“Buck, I’m so, so sorry,” I whispered, a catch in my voice.

“For what?” He pulled back to look me in the eyes.

“For being a lousy friend. For going dark on you. For—how did Connie say it?—not giving you enough credit.”

“I’m not sure I know what you mean.” He seemed bewildered by my sudden confession.

“Oh, uh… It’s nothing I guess,” I stammered, then changed the subject. “How are you holding up?”

He let out a deep sigh. “To be honest, it’s been tough. I’ve been through a lot of heavy stuff, Jules. You know that.” I nodded. “But this… Well, it’s different than all that somehow. I mean…she’s gone, Jules. It’s just so weird thinking about someone our age being…dead.”

He paused for a moment, then took a deep breath.

“And I’ve been so worried about you. When you were unconscious…I was scared. I don’t know what I would do without you. I even...well…I even tried praying. You mean a lot to me, Jules, and—“

A tear traced his cheek. For the first time, I saw a glimpse of the broken little boy I suspected he really was inside, and my heart broke for him.

“Hey-hey-hey—it’s okay. I’m here now. And I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. Look—“ My fingertips brushed the back of his hand, and his ocean eyes stared deep into mine. “Buck, there’s something I need to talk to you about. I mean, I know you said you’re not interested in all the religion stuff. So did I, I guess. But something happened to me a few nights ago, and I’d really like to tell you about it.”

He reached for my hand and squeezed it gently.

“Go ahead. I’m listening.”
I'd love to know what you guys thought of this series! What worked? What didn't? What do you want to see in my next one?
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Awe. These were so sweet! You write relational conversations so well, I really enjoyed this series! I'd be interested in reading a part 2 of this story, but if you're tired of it, obviously do whatever you want haha. I think I'd also be interested to see what you would do with Wooton and Penny. There aren't a lot of fanfics about them out there.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Aw, thank you! I really enjoy writing these, and I hope whoever reads them enjoys them, too!

We'll get some Wooton and Penny in my Christmas fic, which is turning into quite the monster and may end up being a multi-parter. o.O

Stay tuned!
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

My Christmas fic is turning into quite a long story, so I'll be posting it here instead of on the fanfiction club thread. I'm rushing to get it done, so it's a little sloppy, but I hope you enjoy it anyway!

Here's Part 1:
Penny’s POV:
“Isn’t this wonderful?” I gushed to Connie, handing her a section of the lighted garland we were stringing around the banister at Wooton’s and my new home.

Christmas had always been my favorite time of the year, and this year, it felt especially magical. For starters, Wooton and I were celebrating our first Christmas together in our new house, and we’d decided to go all out with the decorating.

“It is pretty impressive,” Connie agreed. “I mean, you guys have had practically the whole town over here decorating.”

“We wouldn’t have it any other way! We wanted everybody to be a part of the celebration. It’s going to be the best Christmas party ever!” My voice squeaked with excitement. Wooton and I were going to be hosting a combination belated housewarming and Christmas Eve celebration in just over a week. It seemed like we’d been preparing for ages, and it was finally almost here.

“Everybody at Whit’s End has been telling me how excited they are to see the finished product.” She paused, raising her eyebrows quizzically. “What I want to know is what on earth is going on with all those giant boxes out front. Why are they all covered up with tarps?”

“I told you before, Connie—it’s a surprise!”

Just then, Wooton strode casually in through the side door from the garage.

“Yeah, to go along with our other surprise.” He raised an eyebrow mysteriously and winked at me. My heart skipped a beat. Even after almost a years of marriage, his boyish charm could still give me butterflies.

“What other surprise? Come on, you guys—cut it out with the secrecy! Eugene knows what’s going on with the boxes. How come I—“

I cut her off. “That’s because he’s been working on them, Connie. It only makes sense.”

“Okay, fine. But what about this other thing? I’m always the last one to know anything about what’s going on around here.”

“Well, you won’t be this time,” Wooton said, significantly.

I giggled at Connie’s confused expression.

“What? Why? What are you saying?”

“We wanted to give you the news before anyone else because, well, we have a favor to ask you.” I felt a sudden twinge of nervousness.

“A favor? Come on, Penny. You know I’d to anything for you.”

“Go head, Wooton.” I smiled and nodded at my better half to take the floor.

He took a deep breath, then began, “Connie, we’d like to ask you to become our baby’s godmother.”

“WHAT?!” Connie’s jaw dropped, and she just stood there for a second. “Uh…I mean…Congratulations, you two!” She flung her arms around the both of us, but I sensed a degree of hesitation in her action.

“Penny wanted to tell you earlier,” Wooton interjected, “but I kind of wanted to be there, too, when she told you—so we could ask you.”

“Ask me what?” she queried absently.

“Remember?” I asked, surprised at the impatient tone in my voice. “We’re asking you to be the baby’s godmother. Will you?”

“Oh, uh, yes, of course I will!” She seemed to be looking at something far away as she spoke.

“Wonderful!” I exclaimed, unintentionally matching her half-hearted tone. “I can’t wait for Baby Bassett to meet Auntie Connie.” I tried again to sound as excited, but with limited success.

“Yeah, it’ll be great.” She was staring off into space again. “But, uh, speaking of kids, have either of you seen Jules? It’s probably about time I get her home. She has exams tomorrow.”

“I saw her talking on the phone on the front porch a while ago,” Wooton offered. “Maybe she stayed outside to help Buck and Eugene with the, uh, super-secret boxes.”

Connie shot him a look. Then, as if on cue, Jules walked through the front door, a troubled look on her face.

“Uh, Connie?”

“Hey! I was just looking for you. We should be heading home.”

“Okay, but, um. . .” She twisted a lock of hair nervously around her finger. “I was just talking to my mom…”

“Oh, good!” Connie interrupted. “Did you enjoy catching up with her?”

“Sure, but, uh…she said she’s going to be coming here for Christmas.”

“Oh!” Connie’s face turned white and twisted into an expression I’d never seen on her before. “Uh, well, that’ll be nice. Since Jillian’s out of town for the holidays, we’ll have plenty of room for her to stay with us. When is she coming?”

“Well…um…her flight gets in tomorrow.”

“TOMORROW?!”

Jules nodded, biting her lip.

“Oh boy…Uh, we’ve got to go. Like, now.” She gave me a hurried side hug as she dashed out the door with Jules in tow. “Congratulations again!” she hollered over her shoulder.

The door slammed, and I looked at Wooton in bewilderment.

“What’s wrong, babe?” he asked, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Maybe nothing.” I leaned my head back on his chest to look up into his eyes. “But…did it seem like Connie wasn’t very excited about our news?”

“I don’t know about that,” he said diplomatically. “She probably just wasn’t expecting it and didn’t know how to respond. And it probably threw her off when Jules came in and said her mom was coming to town. I mean, Connie’s almost been like Jules’s mom for the past few months, and it might be kind of, well…hard for her to see Jules with her real mom. Not to mention the feelings it might dig up about her own mom.”

I signed deeply, leaning into his gentle embrace and closing my eyes. “I guess you’re right. I just wish…I don’t know…”

He ran his fingers gently through my disheveled mess of blonde curls. “I know.”
Last edited by ByeByeBrownie on Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Awe! That was so sweet! I really want to read the next part! It was excellently set up.
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Thank you much, Penny!

Oof, this is a rough one quality-wise, but bear with me. It'll get better, I promise! Just trying to keep it moving.

Chapter 2
Connie’s POV:
My mind raced as I sped down back roads on the way to Connellsville Airport. Jules was still at school, but I had insisted on picking her mom up at the airport so she wouldn’t have to take a cab. I was now starting to regret that decision. I mean, I didn’t even know this person. I was fully prepared not to like her. She was just another one of the women my dad had thought he’d been in love with. And she was not my mother.

I wondered how my mom would have handled this situation. With her usual graciousness and kindness, no doubt. I would try my best to do the same, I decided.

But there was so much more on my mind besides the arrival of my half-sister’s absentee mother. I was kicking myself over my hasty retreat from Penny and Wooton’s house the evening before. I knew Penny would be hurt.

Sure, I was thrilled my best friend and her husband were expecting a baby. Wasn’t I? I just couldn’t make myself feel the elation I knew I was supposed to feel about their big announcement. This was going to be just one more big change I’d have to learn to deal with.

It seemed like anyone who ever meant anything to me got to change and move on in life. Eventually they all left or got married or had babies, while I faded into irrelevance. Always left behind, unchanging and alone.

Connie, get it together, I reprimanded myself. I’d been through all of this before—so many times it started to feel like a broken record, playing the same thing over and over and over again.

But then there was Jeff. That was something different. We’d been spending a lot of time together lately. Sometimes as part of a group, sometimes alone together. Although I’d sworn off dating, lately I’d begun to feel some things I hadn’t felt in a long time. I wondered if he felt the same. But, no, I didn’t want to know.

My feelings scared me. I tried to push them out of my mind, but they kept popping back up somehow. I didn’t want to get hurt. And I also wanted to make sure this was real—that I wasn’t just making something up to fill a void or meet expectations.

But there was no time to think about that now.

This is it, I said to myself as I pulled into the arrivals lane, heart pounding. She was waiting by the curb with a pile of suitcases that made it look like she’d brought her entire house with her. I honestly wasn’t sure what I’d expected her to look like. Why had I never asked Jules to see a photo of her?

I had to restrain a gasp as her image came into focus. She was drop-dead gorgeous. Dark hair fell in loose waves past her shoulders, and a Hollywood smile flashed across her face. Sharply clad in a well-cut blazer and dark-wash skinny jeans, she looked like she’d just walked out of the boardroom of a hot new tech startup, not an airport.

It startled me to realize that she couldn’t have been more than 10 years older than I was, though she looked like she could’ve been younger than me. I wondered if she’d had any plastic surgery.

“Over here!” I rolled down the passenger window and waved as I put the car in park.

“Connie!” She clacked over to me in her high heels and smothered me in a hug. “Oh, hi! I’ve just been DYING to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you.”

“Same here!” I almost squeaked out the words, trying to match her enthusiasm. “Um, is it alright if I put a couple of these bags in the back seat?” I asked, frowning at the rapidly-filling trunk of my tiny hatchback.

“Oh, sure! Wherever it’ll fit works for me! Sorry, I usually take Uber Black—you know—with those huge SUV’s so there’s usually PLENTY of room.”

“We’ll make it work.” I forced a laugh, cramming in the last of her bags and slamming the trunk before it could all come crashing down on me like an avalanche. “Ready to head out? You go by Jan, right? Is it alright if I call you that?”

“Well, actually, I’m going by Gigi now.” She slid into the passenger seat, and I started the engine. “It’s short for my middle name, actually—January Garnet Faulkner’s my full name, you know. See, garnet is the birthstone for January—weird, right? But what can you do? Anyway, my agent thought I should start using a different first name. I mean, January is such a mouthful, and Jan is just—well, it sounds like somebody’s grandma. Don’t you think?”

“Yeah, sure. I mean, I guess so…” This was going to be a long car ride.

I felt my throat tighten as we neared Whit’s End, where we’d planned to meet up with Jules. As nervous as I’d been to meet Jules’s mom, I think I was even more anxious to see how mother and daughter would react to seeing each other for the first time in months. And in the back of my mind, there was a nagging feeling that Gigi wouldn’t be going back to California alone.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Just a wee short chapter :)
Buck’s POV:

I stifled a yawn and slouched further down in my seat, canceling out every sound except the ever-so-slow tick, tick, tick of the clock at the front of the room. Mrs. Sanderson was explaining something about isolating the x in a radical equation, but I wasn’t really paying attention. Algebra was my last class of the day, and also my least favorite.

My eyes drifted over to the empty desk a few rows ahead of me, next to Brad Ralph. Valerie’s old desk.

We’d never really been friends. I mean, to be honest, she’d never really been friends with anyone, unless there was something in it for her. But even so, her loss was something we all felt acutely.

My heart went out to Brad. For some reason I would never be able to comprehend, he’d been absolutely crazy about her. And he just hadn’t been the same since, well…the accident. None of us had, really.

I worried about Jules, almost constantly. I was used to being in control of my situation. But I had been powerless over what had happened to her that day. I couldn’t stand to think about what it would have been like to lose her…

I shifted restlessly in my seat, fingering the worn scrap of paper in my pocket. Another note from my mother. I’d discovered it only a few days ago, tucked under one of the ribs inside the hope chest she’d left me. I hadn’t shown it to anyone yet, but I’d read it so many times I had its contents memorized. She had probably written it only a couple of days before she died.

“It won’t be long now,” she wrote. “The doctors won’t say it to my face, but I know it’s true. It’s okay, though. I’m ready now. After so many years of running away from Him, I’ve rediscovered the peace and forgiveness that can only be found in Jesus Christ. I can only hope that someday you’ll find it, too, my Bucky Bear.”

Her words brought to mind something Felicia had said to me: “Something changed in her those last couple of days. She drifted in and out of consciousness, but she seemed so calm and peaceful. During one of her waking moments, she turned to me and said, ‘He’s forgiven me, Felicia. He’s forgiven me!’ She’d had a falling-out with her father many years before; I can only assume she was talking about him.”

Felicia was partially correct about that. Except it wasn’t her father my mother had been talking about. It was her Father. God. She explained as much in the letter.

It gave me a lot to think about.

The bell rang, startling me back to reality, as a swell of teenagers flooded out into the hallway.

“Jules!”

Spotting her in the crowd, I jogged over to her and wrapped her up on a too-tight hug, then pulled back, embarrassed. Since the accident, I had almost hated to let her out of my sight. It didn’t make sense, but I had this idea that if the people I cared about were always with me, they’d be okay, because I was somehow always okay.

“Hey, Buck.” She absently twisted a strand of hair around her finger.

“You nervous about seeing your mom again?” I guessed.

She nodded. “I’m supposed to meet up with her and Connie at Whit’s End.”

“I’m heading that way, too. Could you use some company?”

I offered my hand, and she took it.

“Yeah, I’d like that.”
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

Aw that was so sweet! I'd never thought about adding to Buck's mom's story arch, and you did it in a beautiful way. As always, I'm excited to read the next part!
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

I promise that somewhere down the line some of this will actually be decent. I just have the attention span of a goldfish and keep getting distracted by new story ideas, and as such, I can write nothing but garbage at the moment.

Chapter 4
Jules’s POV:
Buck and I walked hand-in-hand down the sidewalk toward Whit’s End, our boots crunching on bits of snow and ice and salt. We didn’t talk much—we understood each other’s silence.

In my mind, I rehearsed over and over how it would go when I was face-to-face with my mom again—what she’d say, what I’d say. I hadn’t been able to think about much of anything else since her phone call the night before. It baffled me that I was so rattled by this. I would have expected my reaction to her visit to be nothing more than stone-cold indifference. But instead, I felt a nervous anticipation. Longing, even. It surprised me to realize that I missed her. A lot.

I’d been so angry with her when I left LA. I was bitter and hurt and lonely, and I’d resigned myself to never feel anything ever again. Since coming to Odyssey, though, I’d opened my heart in ways I never thought possible. Here, I’d found love, acceptance, purpose. And now, I was grappling with how my mom fit into all of it.

“Connie said they’re in the Little Theater,” I said aloud, more to myself than to Buck, as I nearly dragged him down the hallways and corridors of Whit’s End. My pace had quickened with every step until I was almost at a jog. I stopped short, heart pounding, just outside the doorway to the small auditorium. Strains of old, familiar Christmas carols wafted from behind the closed double doors, triggering flashbacks to other times, other places…

“Hey.” I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped back, startled. Buck. I’d almost forgotten he was there, though I was still gripping his hand for dear life, as if it were my only anchor to reality. “Everything’s going to be okay.”

He stroked back a lock of hair that had fallen across my face, his fingers lingering against my cheek.

“I know.” My voice quivered as I blinked back nervous tears. I took a deep breath, squeezed his hand once more, and opened the doors.

Mom was seated at the piano onstage, her fingers flying across the keys, while Connie looked on in amazement.

“Mom?”

The music stopped abruptly, and she wheeled around toward the sound of my voice.

“Jules!”

I bolted down the aisle, bypassing the steps and leaping right onto the stage. We threw our arms around each other, and she squeezed me so tight I could hardly breathe. She pulled back suddenly, grasping my shoulders at arm’s length, studying me.

“My beautiful, beautiful girl!”

“I missed you so much,” I whispered, sitting down next to her on the piano bench and running my fingers across the keys. We just sat there in silence for a moment, the air thick with all the words we left unsaid.

Finally, I broke the silence. “Would you play ‘Silver Bells’? You know, like you used to?”

“That always was your favorite, wasn’t it?” A warm smile spread across her face, and she began to play, the crystal-clear tones of her voice mingling with the tinkling of the keys. She nodded to me at the chorus, inviting me to join in on the harmony.

Suddenly, we weren’t in the Little Theater anymore. I was a little girl again, clad in fleece pajamas, sitting cross-legged on the living room floor, singing my lungs out while Mom coaxed the magic out of the keys of the worn, old baby grand piano she’d rescued from an old movie set somewhere. Nobody else could make it come alive like she could. I squeezed my eyes closed, losing myself in the memory.

Buck’s POV:
I hung back in the shadows, watching as the rift between mother and daughter slowly began to mend, salved with the simplicity of a song.

What I wouldn’t give to have known my mother, I thought.

Connie slipped quietly off the stage, making her way toward the door. I followed her lead and ducked out of the theater behind her.

“Oh, hey Buck. I didn’t see you in there.”

I shrugged. “I didn't want to intrude on their moment. I just wanted to keep an eye on her for a little bit—you know, to make sure everything went okay.”

She nodded. “She’s lucky to have a friend like you.”

“She’s lucky to have a sister like you,” I countered, tacking on, “and don’t you mean ‘blessed’?”

“Well, yeah, I suppose I do.” She sounded a little surprised, and a little pleased. But I thought I caught a hint of sadness in her eyes, too.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

It's [kind of] a new chapter!

Chapter 5
Jules's POV:
We were just starting to clear the table after dinner when the doorbell rang, and Connie ran to answer it.

"I'll wash, you dry?" Mom tossed a dish towel at me, and I snatched it out of the air.

"Sounds good to me!"

She rolled up her sleeves and plunged her hands into the sudsy water.

I gasped.

Covering her left forearm was an enormous bruise, all blue and purple, fading into a sickly shade of yellowish green in the center.

My eyes locked on hers, and she jerked her sleeve back down, grimacing.

"Mom, what happened?"

"It's…nothing."

"Did Ricky do that to you?"

Ricky had been her boyfriend for as long as I could remember. He was some kind of big-shot producer she'd met at an audition back in the day. He had a bit of a temper at times, and he was used to getting his own way. My mind flashed back to the nights when he'd come back late and drunk. I would lock myself in my room and pretend to be asleep, but I could hear everything that happened.

She shrugged. "It's fine. Really. Just a little bruise, that's all."

"I wouldn't call that little. Mom, if he's hurting you—"

"Just…let it be. Okay? Now let's—"

"But Mom, I—"

"I mean it, Jules!"

"Fine." I heaved a heavy sigh. "I just… Never mind."

We finished the dishes in silence.

When we were done, I wandered into the living room and flicked on the TV, wondering what had become of Connie. A movie came on, and I microwaved some popcorn.

"Want some?" I held the bag out to Mom, who had come in and sat in the recliner chair on the other side of the room. "If you come sit over here, we can share." I patted the space next to me on the couch.

"Sure. Thanks." She dug her hand into the bag and pulled out a handful of popcorn. "You know," she said between munches, "these rom-coms are all the same. Give me five minutes, and I'll be able to tell you what the whole plot's going to be."

"I know. But you know you love them anyway."

She rolled her eyes and laughed. "Yeah, you're right."

And just like that, we were carrying on like nothing had happened. But I couldn't shake the gnawing ache in the pit of my stomach.

When the movie paused for a commercial break, she turned her attention toward me.

"Everybody at Whit's End seemed nice."

"Yeah, they are. They're all kind of like my family now." The words came out before I realized what I was saying. An uncomfortable smile twisted her lips, and she changed the subject.

"That Buck's cute."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't get any ideas."

"Come on, don't tell me you don't think he's adorable," she persisted.

"He is, Mom, but…"

"But what? I saw the way you two look at each other."

I heard the front door creak shut and hopped up off the couch, thankful for the distraction.

"There you are, Connie! I was wondering where you went. Who was at the door?"

Connie's POV:
We were just starting to clear the table after dinner when the thought crossed my mind that I should probably give Penny a call. I'd been so busy all day that I hadn't really had time to think about it. But I figured I should at least apologize to her for my abrupt exit the day before and congratulate her for real; see how she was doing, if she needed anything and all that.

Then the doorbell rang and I ran to answer it, the thought quickly forgotten.

I flung the door open, expecting to see a package of something or other that either Jules or I had ordered for Christmas. Instead, I was startled to see Jeff standing there.

"Hi, Connie!" He waved cheerfully, if not a bit awkwardly. My heart made an unexpected thump.

"Jeff? What are you doing here?" I asked, smoothing away the unruly strands of hair that had escaped my ponytail. I was suddenly aware that it had been hours since the last time I'd looked in a mirror.

"You asked me to come by and drop off my copy of the book for small group Bible study. Did you forget?"

"Oh! Yeah—Right, the book! I ordered it… It's just, uh…Amazon…" I was babbling.

"I know. You told me."

He smiled, holding the book out to me. I grabbed at it clumsily, desperate for something—anything—to do with my hands.

"Yeah…So, uh…thanks again for letting me borrow it. Mine should be here in a couple days, so…" I was babbling again. Help me.

"So how's everything going with Jules's mom?" he asked in a confidential tone.

"It's been alright so far." I stepped out onto the front porch, closing the door behind me. "But I have this feeling that there's more going on than I know about. It's making me nervous. I feel like she's here for more than just a visit, if you know what I mean."

His brow furrowed thoughtfully. "You mean you think she's here to stay?"

I shook my head. "No…I mean…I think…I think she's here for Jules. To take her back to California, I mean."

"Hmmm." He cocked his head. "Has she said anything about it?"

"Well, no… But I just have this feeling…"

"Hmmm," he said again. "Maybe you should just ask her about it. You know, get it all out in the open."

"I thought about that. It's just…I'm scared, Jeff. I can't lose Jules. Not after everything we've been through together."

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I blinked them back as hard as I could, annoyed at myself for showing so much emotion.

"Aw, Connie…" His dark eyes flooded with concern, and he touched my shoulder soothingly. "It'll be okay."

"It'll have to be," I sniffed, taking a step backward and blinking my eyes dry. "Anyway, thanks for listening. I'm sorry for being such a spaz on you."

"Never." He chuckled, smiling softly. "And anytime."

"Well, I should probably, uh…" I turned and reached for the doorknob.

"Wait—um… there's something I wanted to ask you."

My heart jumped into my throat. "What?" I croaked.

"The pilot association I'm a part of is having a Christmas banquet at the Connellsville Convention Center Friday night, and I was wondering if you might want to be my plus-one."

"This Friday night?" I almost choked.

"I'm sorry it's so last-minute. It's just that I wasn't even sure if I'd be able to make it until a few days ago, and I…" He went on, fidgeting with the buttons on his jacket, but I didn't hear a word he said. I just stood there staring at him, blankly, for who knows how long.

"So…will you come?"

"Come where?" I blinked and shook my head as if I'd just been startled awake.

"Earth to Connie. Earth to Connie. Come in, Connie." He cupped his hands around his mouth, using his best space commander voice. "The pilot association banquet? This Friday? Will you come with me?"

"Oh…uh…yeah, sure." I blundered, still struggling to catch up to reality.

"Great!" He brightened. "I'll pick you up at 7."

I giggled nervously, finally recovering myself a bit. "That sounds great. Thanks, Jeff."

He smiled. "Well, uh…I'd probably better let you go. Have a good night, Connie."

"Thanks. You too." I returned his smile and slowly closed the front door as he walked away down the sidewalk.

Stepping back into the house, it seemed like everything shifted into slow motion, like I was under water. Jules and Gigi were in the living room watching TV. Jules shot up soon as I entered the room.

"There you are, Connie! I was wondering where you went. Who was at the door?"

"Oh, uh, it was just Jeff…"

"Jeff?" She raised an eyebrow mischievously.

"Yeah, uh…he was just bringing over a book for small group." I held it up like it was a piece of evidence or something.

"Oh, okay." She seemed satisfied with my answer. The commercial break ended, and she plopped back down on the couch. "Wanna watch with us?"

"Sure, but, uh…"

"What, Connie? You look like you just saw a ghost."

"It's just that he…uh…he asked me to go to a banquet with him on Friday for the pilot association he's in."

She let out a shriek. "Connie! That is so exciting!"

My cheeks flushed, and I stared down at the carpet. "It's not that big of a deal."

"Oh, come on! I've only been waiting for this for…oh that's right—FOREVER! Do you have a dress to wear? Nope—nope, we'll need a new one. It has to be perfect. Mom, where did you get that one dress? You know, the one you wore to the gala for that charity Dad's company sponsors?"

She was talking a mile a minute. Gigi sat plastered to the couch, a look of bewilderment in her eyes.

"Slow down, Jules." I flopped down in the big armchair that used to be my mom's favorite. "We can talk about this later, but I'm exhausted and just want to veg out for a while."

"Whatever you say," she sighed, turning up the volume on the movie.

It was one of those generic rom-coms that if you've seen one of them, you've seen them all. And I was sound asleep in minutes.

Gigi's POV:
No matter how used to travel you are, it's always strange staying in someone else's house. It's not like a hotel where everything is a pre-packaged one-size-fits-all. Instead, everything still seems to belong to someone else, even if it's been reserved especially for you.

I surveyed the nice little array of fresh towels and toiletries Connie had set out for me in the guest bathroom, making a mental note to thank her later. I yawned, realizing how thoroughly exhausted I was. It had been a long day.

I selected the fluffy white washcloth on top of the stack of pristine linens and began to wash my face. As the warm, damp cloth moved across my skin, I watched the layers of makeup disappear until there was nothing left of the mask that I wore to pretend I was something better than I really was. Leaning over the sink, I stared at the blank, unremarkable features in the mirror. Nothing special. Nothing desirable.

My forefinger traced the splotches of patchy blues and purples that covered the skin of my left arm. The bruises would heal like they always did. But the words cut deeper.

"You are nothing without me," he'd said. "You wouldn't survive a day on your own." And he was right. I couldn't. No matter how many times I had tried to run away, I always came crawling back.

And this time would be no exception. I had come here to avoid the inevitable, but deep down inside, I knew it was just a stall tactic. In a week or two, I'd be back there in the same mess of a life I'd been living.

I was terrified to go back there alone. But if I knew my daughter, I wouldn't have to. I knew she would jump at the chance to come back with me—get out of this sleepy little town and back to the world of glamour and excitement. Or so I thought.

Instead, I barely recognized the beautiful, confident young woman Jules had become—a far cry from the lost little girl I once knew.

She'd made a home for herself here. Without me. I envied her. And Connie. They both seemed so happy in their simple, uncomplicated little world.

If only I could go back. Start over. Fix all the things I'd done wrong. Make her stay.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Is this story getting too boring? I've been a bit bored with it myself. BUT MY FAVORITE PARTS ARE STILL TO COME. Alas.

Anywho, this chapter was actually a fun challenge for me, as it comes from the POV of a character I've never written before. I'd love to know what you guys think!

Chapter 6
Eugene’s POV:
“I think this will do the trick for your star, Wooton,” I said, flipping the switch on the laser beam I’d constructed behind the wooden stable in the Bassetts’ front yard. “It should be visible for a radius of several miles after dark.”

“Oh wow, really? That’s fantastic!” Wooton took a step back to admire my handiwork. “Thanks again for all your help with this, Eugene. We couldn’t do it without you.”

“Oh, it’s nothing, I assure you.” I chuckled modestly. To be honest, I hadn’t expected to so thoroughly enjoy working with Wooton and Penny on their festive endeavor. We were so different in so many ways, yet their creativity inspired my own.

“Now, didn’t you want me to take a look at the motion sensor for the audio recording?” I pursued.

“Oh, yeah, that’s right!” Wooton replied. “It was a great idea you had to ask Whit to record himself reading the Christmas story. His voice is just so mellow and soothing… But anyway, when I hook up the recording to the motion sensor, it plays back sounding less like Whit and more like Alvin and the Chipmunks.”

“Curious,” I observed. “What format are you using to upload the recording to the--?”

I was interrupted by a sudden slam of the front door as Penny shuffled out onto the front porch, balancing three precariously-stacked mugs.

“Who wants hot chocolate?” she hollered in a sing-songy tone.

“You don’t have to ask me twice,” Wooton volunteered enthusiastically, dashing to her assistance. “Here, let me help you.”

“No, no, I’ve got it, Wooton. You’re going to make me—” It was too late. “Spill.”

“Oh, no! Penny, are you okay? Did it burn you? I’m so sorry, babe!”

“It’s okay, Wooton,” Penny replied, her tone indicating she was still a little annoyed.

Although Penny had managed to escape being scalded, all three mugs now lay empty, though somewhat miraculously unbroken, at her feet, their contents splattered all over the deck.

“I’ll come help you pour some more,” Wooton offered, scooping up the mugs and contritely trailing his wife inside.

Left alone without further instructions, I took the opportunity to go check on Buck, who was working somewhere in the maze of boxes and figurines littering the front lawn. I found him in the midst of a thoughtful pause, sitting on the ground with his arms wrapped around his knees, surveying the nativity scene.

It was a truly magnificent piece. Unlike the figures of wire, plastic and paper maché that composed the rest of the décor, the nativity was a masterpiece, hand-sculpted by an Italian artist as Wooton’s surprise Christmas gift to Penny. The craftsmanship was exquisite, astonishingly lifelike in every detail.

Buck appeared so deep in thought that he didn’t even notice my presence. I cleared my throat so as not to startle him.

“Oh, hi Eugene. Sorry I didn’t see you there. I was just…thinking.” He paused thoughtfully. “You know, that nativity scene reminds me of the one year we spent Christmas in Chicago.”

“How so?” I queried, sitting down beside him. My curiosity was piqued. Though Katrina and I made a conscious effort not to pry into his past life, we felt quite privileged whenever he chose to share its details with us.

“Mr. Skint took me to this holiday market one night. Just outside it was a life-size nativity scene— just like this one.” He nodded toward Wooton and Penny’s display. “I snuck off for a few hours the next afternoon just to go see it again. I felt drawn to it somehow, I guess. It was just so beautiful. Almost magical. But nobody had ever told me what it all meant. It was just a pretty picture, like everything else on that trip.”

He paused, gazing off into the distance, and then went on.

“That was my favorite Christmas I can remember—before I came here, at least. We stayed in a big, fancy hotel with a huge Christmas tree in the lobby, and we opened presents on Christmas morning—‘just like normal folks,’ Mr. Skint told me. He got me a brand new fishing pole and took me ice fishing out on Lake Michigan that afternoon.”

He sighed deeply.

“We left town the next day, probably with a load of cash that should have been spent on some other kid’s Christmas presents.”

“Hm.” I nodded, unsure what to say. After a few moments of silence, I ventured to ask, “Do you ever miss him? Skint, I mean?”

“Sometimes I do…” He paused. “And then I get mad at myself for feeling that way. I mean everything he ever said to me was a lie. None of it was real.” Another thoughtful pause. “But this—“ he gestured broadly. “This is real. This is something I want to hold on to.”

“Buck, do you…” I began tentatively. “You see, Katrina and I have been—that is, we would like to—“ But I didn’t get the chance to finish.

“Eugene! Buck! Where are you guys?” It was Penny and Wooton returning with the hot chocolate.

“Over here!” I called from where we sat, casting an apologetic look toward Buck. Our conversation would have to wait until a later time.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I'm really enjoying this series, so please continue it! I always look forward to the next chapter, so I wish you would update more, but I get how long it can take to write chapters and stuff. Obviously...
MonkeyDude
Cookies & Creme

This looks really good! I'll try and read it when I get the time!
*Finger guns aggressively*
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

Woof, this is kind of a long one for me. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. XD Let me know what you think!

Chapter 7
Connie’s POV:
“Jules, where did you put my hairspray?” I hollered from the top of the stairs.

“Oh, sorry, it’s in my room on the dresser,” she yelled back up at me.

“Naturally,” I muttered, rushing off to give my hair a quick touch-up before Jeff arrived.

“Hey, wait!” Jules called after me. “Step out on the stairs to I can see you!”

I reluctantly obliged, struggling to keep my balance atop my high heels, which were already pinching the feeling out of my toes.

“Wow, Connie, that dress is killer!” She gushed.

I shot her a questioning look. “That’s a good thing, I hope?”

She giggled. “Of course it is. You look amazing.”

“Well, thanks, I guess,” I responded doubtfully, dashing off to my room before she could make more of a fuss over me.

I hoped she was telling the truth. Whatever I looked like, I felt like a fish out of water. The flashy red evening gown I wore was definitely a far cry from my typical sweater and jeans combo. I’d picked the simplest option Jules had presented to me at the mall, but it was still the fanciest (and most expensive) dress I had ever owned.

In addition to the dress, Jules had insisted I wear lipstick, which was about as foreign to me as the menus at La Chalet. It felt strange and sticky against my skin and made me feel immensely self-conscious every time I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror. It looked good, I guess. It just didn’t look like me.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror above my dresser, barely recognizing the person staring back at me. Am I forgetting anything? I asked myself, trying to collect my racing thoughts.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, nearly startling me out of my skin. With trembling fingers, I grabbed my shimmery black clutch purse and began a hasty descent down the stairs.

Jules stopped me short at the bottom.

“No, no, no—go back upstairs for a minute or something.”

“Why?” I shot her a confused glance.

“You can’t come to the door right away. You have to make him wait a little bit.”

“Again, why? And wouldn’t that be…rude?” I protested.

She rolled her eyes. “You’re late for everything else anyway.”

“Hey, I’ve been working on that. And besides—”

She cut me off. “Connie. Just shoo.”

And with that, she waved me away upstairs.

Back in my room and not quite sure what to do with myself, I sat down on the edge of my bed and strained to hear as Jules welcomed Jeff inside.

“Hey, Jeff! Come on in. She’ll just be a minute.”

She introduced him to Gigi, and he greeted her cordially. It amazed me how effortlessly he was able to make conversation, even with a complete stranger.

How long is “a minute or something”? I wondered, nervously fidgeting with my necklace. After a while, there was a lull in the conversation, and I decided it had been long enough. I stood, looked myself over in the mirror once more and headed for the stairs.

My breath caught in my throat as he came into view. He looked absolutely stunning. His ebony suit superbly complimented his dark eyes, enhancing their boyish sparkle. I gripped the stair rail as I made my descent, careful to avoid any missteps.

Our eyes met, and my heart gave a weird thump. I was grateful when he spoke first.

“Wow, Connie, you look beautiful.” He sounded sincere enough, but I couldn’t be sure if he meant it, or if he was just being polite.

“Really?” I half-croaked, unintentionally crinkling up my nose at the compliment. “Uh, I mean, thanks. You look great, too. Really, really great.” No, no, no, no. Too much. I felt my cheeks flush. My eyes flickered over to Jules, imploring her to come to my rescue. She read my signal and snapped into action.

“So, uh, how long are you party animals planning on staying out tonight?” she asked, interrupting the awkward silence I’d created.

“As late as our parents will let us, I suppose,” Jeff joked back. “What do you think, Connie? You don’t turn into a pumpkin at midnight or anything, do you?”

I laughed stiffly and opened up the hall closet to rummage for my dress coat, suddenly wishing I’d remembered to have it dry cleaned. I fished it out and flung it over my left arm, fumbling for the other sleeve with my right.

“May I?” I hadn’t heard him come up behind me, and the closeness of his voice startled me. I nodded silently. Then, ever-so-gently, he lifted the offending sleeve and guided it over my flailing arm.

“Thanks.” I forced another awkward laugh and then just stood there for a moment, staring up at him. Why had I suddenly lost all ability to speak and act like a normal human being?

“So, are you ready to go?” he finally asked.

“Huh? Oh! Uh, yeah.”

“After you, then.”

He swept the door open and gestured for me to go on ahead of him.

It took extra concentration to keep from crashing down the front steps in those wretched shoes, but I made it without mishap.

He followed me out to his sleek, black Mazda and held the door open for me as I ducked into the passenger seat.

An instant later, he was beside me in the driver’s seat, starting the engine.

“Are you cold?” he asked, holding one hand experimentally in front of the heat vent. “I can turn up the heat if you want.”

I shrugged. “Nah, I’m good, thanks.”

“Okay, just promise me you’ll tell me if you’re not comfortable.”

I nodded. I did, in fact, feel quite uncomfortable, but it wasn’t because of the temperature. I noticed my hands were trembling as I locked my seatbelt in place. Why was I so nervous? It was just an evening out with a friend. Nothing to be nervous about, right?

He turned the radio dial to the Christmas music station, and I felt a silly smile spread across my face. Most people teased me about my soundtrack of choice during this time of year, but Jeff indulged it gladly.

I caught the answering sparkle in his eye as he shifted the gear and started to back out of the driveway.

“Hey, listen.” His voice was calm and reassuring—I figured he must have sensed my nervous energy. “I’m so glad you agreed to come with me tonight, Connie. There are going to be some really great people there that I can’t wait for you to meet.”

“Like who?” I asked.

For some reason, I hadn’t considered the fact that I’d potentially be meeting dozens of strangers at this event. Strangers who would ask me all kinds of questions about my career, my relationships, where I was going in life. All the kinds of questions I never had a good answer to.

“You’ll just have to wait and see.” His answer broke into my thoughts.

“Wait and see what?”

“You asked me who I wanted you to meet tonight.” He paused briefly. “Are you feeling okay? You seem kind of distracted.”

“Yeah, I’m okay. There’s just a lot on my mind right now.”

He nodded knowingly. “Yeah, I know. I guess I was just hoping tonight might help take your mind off everything.”

I smiled gratefully. “Thanks, Jeff. I really appreciate that.”

“You’re going to have a great time tonight. I promise.” His smile gave me butterflies.

Suddenly, before I could stop myself, I blurted out, “Hey, can I ask you a question?”

He shrugged agreeably. “Go for it.”

“Okay, um…” I took a deep breath. It was too late to back out now. “Is this…like…a date?” The words tumbled out like melted ice cream from a spilled milkshake.

He raised an eyebrow and took his eyes off the road for a brief moment to venture a glance at me. “Would you like it to be?”

“Um…yes? NO. I don’t know…maybe?” I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat.

He laughed. “Well, which is it?”

“Well, uh…I’d kinda rather hear what you think first, so I don’t embarrass myself.”

“So I’m on the hook now, huh?” He laughed again.

“I’m sorry, I just—” He didn’t let me finish.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. I was just kidding.” He took a deep breath and then continued. “To be honest, it’s an easy answer for me. Yes, Connie. Without a question. You are an amazing woman, and I would be honored if you might consider me as, well…more than a friend.”

“Oh, wow, uh, okay.” I started to babble, a million thoughts racing through my mind all at once.

He immediately looked concerned. “Was it okay that I said that?”

“No, no, no,” I stammered. “I mean—yes, it’s totally okay. I just…didn’t expect it.”

“Why not?” He looked a little bewildered. “You mean a lot to me, Connie. And I hope I’ve shown you that.”

He had shown me, hadn’t he? The late-night text conversations when I’d wake up missing Mom. The random grocery deliveries that always seemed to show up at exactly the right times. The hours-long talks about God and about life. He’d invested a lot in me over the past few years. And he’d come to mean a lot to me, too.

“You have, Jeff. And I…” I couldn’t think of the right words to say. “Thank you.”

He looked at me and smiled, his eyes meeting mine and filling in the rest of the unsaid words between us.

Surprisingly, it didn’t take us long after that to slip back into our typical easy, friendly chatter. I was almost sorry when we pulled up at the valet stand and had to go inside.

My eyes widened as we entered the enormous, brightly-lit room. Every inch of the place was decked out in holiday splendor.

“It’s beautiful,” I gasped.

“I knew you’d like it.”

I hoped he didn’t find my amazement too childish.

A man in a white tuxedo walked by, carrying a tray of delicate stemware filled with bubbly amber liquid. Jeff stealthily swept two glasses from the tray and handed one to me. Following my questioning gaze, he stooped down and whispered, “It’s sparkling cider.”

I giggled a bit foolishly and took a sip.

The rest of the evening went by almost in a blur. Jeff made me feel instantly at home with everyone he introduced me to and invited me to join in on every conversation. I couldn’t imagine anything I had to say was really all that interesting, but it didn’t seem to matter to him. He hung on my every word, as if each one were of utmost importance.

But then again, he was always like that—attentive and considerate, always making sure the other person knew they mattered.

And with every new acquaintance, I felt myself growing more and more proud to be by his side.
I don't even ship Connie and Jeff. Like, what in the world is going on here, fellas? :mad:
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

Carl
Caramel Crunch

ByeByeBrownie wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:23 pm
Woof, this is kind of a long one for me. I can't decide if I love it or hate it. XD Let me know what you think!

Chapter 7
Connie’s POV:
“Jules, where did you put my hairspray?” I hollered from the top of the stairs.

“Oh, sorry, it’s in my room on the dresser,” she yelled back up at me.

“Naturally,” I muttered, rushing off to give my hair a quick touch-up before Jeff arrived.

“Hey, wait!” Jules called after me. “Step out on the stairs to I can see you!”

I reluctantly obliged, struggling to keep my balance atop my high heels, which were already pinching the feeling out of my toes.

“Wow, Connie, that dress is killer!” She gushed.

I shot her a questioning look. “That’s a good thing, I hope?”

She giggled. “Of course it is. You look amazing.”

“Well, thanks, I guess,” I responded doubtfully, dashing off to my room before she could make more of a fuss over me.

I hoped she was telling the truth. Whatever I looked like, I felt like a fish out of water. The flashy red evening gown I wore was definitely a far cry from my typical sweater and jeans combo. I’d picked the simplest option Jules had presented to me at the mall, but it was still the fanciest (and most expensive) dress I had ever owned.

In addition to the dress, Jules had insisted I wear lipstick, which was about as foreign to me as the menus at La Chalet. It felt strange and sticky against my skin and made me feel immensely self-conscious every time I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror. It looked good, I guess. It just didn’t look like me.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror above my dresser, barely recognizing the person staring back at me. Am I forgetting anything? I asked myself, trying to collect my racing thoughts.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang, nearly startling me out of my skin. With trembling fingers, I grabbed my shimmery black clutch purse and began a hasty descent down the stairs.

Jules stopped me short at the bottom.

“No, no, no—go back upstairs for a minute or something.”

“Why?” I shot her a confused glance.

“You can’t come to the door right away. You have to make him wait a little bit.”

“Again, why? And wouldn’t that be…rude?” I protested.

She rolled her eyes. “You’re late for everything else anyway.”

“Hey, I’ve been working on that. And besides—”

She cut me off. “Connie. Just shoo.”

And with that, she waved me away upstairs.

Back in my room and not quite sure what to do with myself, I sat down on the edge of my bed and strained to hear as Jules welcomed Jeff inside.

“Hey, Jeff! Come on in. She’ll just be a minute.”

She introduced him to Gigi, and he greeted her cordially. It amazed me how effortlessly he was able to make conversation, even with a complete stranger.

How long is “a minute or something”? I wondered, nervously fidgeting with my necklace. After a while, there was a lull in the conversation, and I decided it had been long enough. I stood, looked myself over in the mirror once more and headed for the stairs.

My breath caught in my throat as he came into view. He looked absolutely stunning. His ebony suit superbly complimented his dark eyes, enhancing their boyish sparkle. I gripped the stair rail as I made my descent, careful to avoid any missteps.

Our eyes met, and my heart gave a weird thump. I was grateful when he spoke first.

“Wow, Connie, you look beautiful.” He sounded sincere enough, but I couldn’t be sure if he meant it, or if he was just being polite.

“Really?” I half-croaked, unintentionally crinkling up my nose at the compliment. “Uh, I mean, thanks. You look great, too. Really, really great.” No, no, no, no. Too much. I felt my cheeks flush. My eyes flickered over to Jules, imploring her to come to my rescue. She read my signal and snapped into action.

“So, uh, how long are you party animals planning on staying out tonight?” she asked, interrupting the awkward silence I’d created.

“As late as our parents will let us, I suppose,” Jeff joked back. “What do you think, Connie? You don’t turn into a pumpkin at midnight or anything, do you?”

I laughed stiffly and opened up the hall closet to rummage for my dress coat, suddenly wishing I’d remembered to have it dry cleaned. I fished it out and flung it over my left arm, fumbling for the other sleeve with my right.

“May I?” I hadn’t heard him come up behind me, and the closeness of his voice startled me. I nodded silently. Then, ever-so-gently, he lifted the offending sleeve and guided it over my flailing arm.

“Thanks.” I forced another awkward laugh and then just stood there for a moment, staring up at him. Why had I suddenly lost all ability to speak and act like a normal human being?

“So, are you ready to go?” he finally asked.

“Huh? Oh! Uh, yeah.”

“After you, then.”

He swept the door open and gestured for me to go on ahead of him.

It took extra concentration to keep from crashing down the front steps in those wretched shoes, but I made it without mishap.

He followed me out to his sleek, black Mazda and held the door open for me as I ducked into the passenger seat.

An instant later, he was beside me in the driver’s seat, starting the engine.

“Are you cold?” he asked, holding one hand experimentally in front of the heat vent. “I can turn up the heat if you want.”

I shrugged. “Nah, I’m good, thanks.”

“Okay, just promise me you’ll tell me if you’re not comfortable.”

I nodded. I did, in fact, feel quite uncomfortable, but it wasn’t because of the temperature. I noticed my hands were trembling as I locked my seatbelt in place. Why was I so nervous? It was just an evening out with a friend. Nothing to be nervous about, right?

He turned the radio dial to the Christmas music station, and I felt a silly smile spread across my face. Most people teased me about my soundtrack of choice during this time of year, but Jeff indulged it gladly.

I caught the answering sparkle in his eye as he shifted the gear and started to back out of the driveway.

“Hey, listen.” His voice was calm and reassuring—I figured he must have sensed my nervous energy. “I’m so glad you agreed to come with me tonight, Connie. There are going to be some really great people there that I can’t wait for you to meet.”

“Like who?” I asked.

For some reason, I hadn’t considered the fact that I’d potentially be meeting dozens of strangers at this event. Strangers who would ask me all kinds of questions about my career, my relationships, where I was going in life. All the kinds of questions I never had a good answer to.

“You’ll just have to wait and see.” His answer broke into my thoughts.

“Wait and see what?”

“You asked me who I wanted you to meet tonight.” He paused briefly. “Are you feeling okay? You seem kind of distracted.”

“Yeah, I’m okay. There’s just a lot on my mind right now.”

He nodded knowingly. “Yeah, I know. I guess I was just hoping tonight might help take your mind off everything.”

I smiled gratefully. “Thanks, Jeff. I really appreciate that.”

“You’re going to have a great time tonight. I promise.” His smile gave me butterflies.

Suddenly, before I could stop myself, I blurted out, “Hey, can I ask you a question?”

He shrugged agreeably. “Go for it.”

“Okay, um…” I took a deep breath. It was too late to back out now. “Is this…like…a date?” The words tumbled out like melted ice cream from a spilled milkshake.

He raised an eyebrow and took his eyes off the road for a brief moment to venture a glance at me. “Would you like it to be?”

“Um…yes? NO. I don’t know…maybe?” I squirmed uncomfortably in my seat.

He laughed. “Well, which is it?”

“Well, uh…I’d kinda rather hear what you think first, so I don’t embarrass myself.”

“So I’m on the hook now, huh?” He laughed again.

“I’m sorry, I just—” He didn’t let me finish.

“Hey, don’t worry about it. I was just kidding.” He took a deep breath and then continued. “To be honest, it’s an easy answer for me. Yes, Connie. Without a question. You are an amazing woman, and I would be honored if you might consider me as, well…more than a friend.”

“Oh, wow, uh, okay.” I started to babble, a million thoughts racing through my mind all at once.

He immediately looked concerned. “Was it okay that I said that?”

“No, no, no,” I stammered. “I mean—yes, it’s totally okay. I just…didn’t expect it.”

“Why not?” He looked a little bewildered. “You mean a lot to me, Connie. And I hope I’ve shown you that.”

He had shown me, hadn’t he? The late-night text conversations when I’d wake up missing Mom. The random grocery deliveries that always seemed to show up at exactly the right times. The hours-long talks about God and about life. He’d invested a lot in me over the past few years. And he’d come to mean a lot to me, too.

“You have, Jeff. And I…” I couldn’t think of the right words to say. “Thank you.”

He looked at me and smiled, his eyes meeting mine and filling in the rest of the unsaid words between us.

Surprisingly, it didn’t take us long after that to slip back into our typical easy, friendly chatter. I was almost sorry when we pulled up at the valet stand and had to go inside.

My eyes widened as we entered the enormous, brightly-lit room. Every inch of the place was decked out in holiday splendor.

“It’s beautiful,” I gasped.

“I knew you’d like it.”

I hoped he didn’t find my amazement too childish.

A man in a white tuxedo walked by, carrying a tray of delicate stemware filled with bubbly amber liquid. Jeff stealthily swept two glasses from the tray and handed one to me. Following my questioning gaze, he stooped down and whispered, “It’s sparkling cider.”

I giggled a bit foolishly and took a sip.

The rest of the evening went by almost in a blur. Jeff made me feel instantly at home with everyone he introduced me to and invited me to join in on every conversation. I couldn’t imagine anything I had to say was really all that interesting, but it didn’t seem to matter to him. He hung on my every word, as if each one were of utmost importance.

But then again, he was always like that—attentive and considerate, always making sure the other person knew they mattered.

And with every new acquaintance, I felt myself growing more and more proud to be by his side.
I don't even ship Connie and Jeff. Like, what in the world is going on here, fellas? :mad:
Great fan fiction! Keep writing! (btw, if you want to enter a fan fiction contest, see here: http://odyssey-news.com/2020/08/28/my-f ... mpetition/. It's my website). I am writing a fanfic about Mandy and Trent, and I don't really ship the either, oh well :mad:
Buckles shipper. Visit my Odyssey website at http://odyssey-news.com/.

Trista: Isn't it great to be an indevidual now, not just someone who wears what society tells them to wear?
Jules: But your telling my what to wear.
Trista: Of course, I'm your publicist, it's my job.

~#902 California Dreams, Part 1~
ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

WHAT? A new chapter?? It's a Christmas MIRACLE! :D

Chapter 8
Jules’s POV:

The moment the front door closed behind Connie and Jeff, Mom popped up from the couch and tossed her magazine aside. “So what are we doing tonight?” she asked brightly. “Girls’ night in? What do you say we make some cookies or something?”

“Yes, please!” I agreed. “Connie and I tried to make peppermint hot chocolate cookies last week, and they bombed so bad. How bout you and I give them another try?”

“Oooh, that sounds delicious! Do we need to run to the store to pick up any ingredients?”

“Nah, we’ve still got plenty from last time.”

“Perfect!”

She followed me to the kitchen, where we were soon lost in a flurry of mixing and measuring, sprinkled liberally with laughter.

“I think the batter’s just about ready,” I proclaimed, stirring in the last of the chocolate morsels. “Would you go grab a few cookie sheets from the cabinet over there, Mom?”

I gestured with a spatula, almost accidentally flinging a clump of batter across the room.

“This one?” She asked, standing on tiptoe to peer into the cabinet above the stove.

“Yep! Grab those two over there on the left.”

I took advantage of her turned back to take a small sampling of our concoction.

“Hey, did you just lick that spoon?”

She had turned around just in time to catch a glimpse of me raising the spoon to my lips.

“Why would you think that?” I responded, doing my best to suppress a guilty smile. “But if I did, that means the cookies are all mine now, right?”

“Not a chance! Give me that bowl!”

She lunged for the bowl, and I sprang back, knocking over the bag of flour on the counter beside me. The white powder flew everywhere—all over me, all over the floor, all over my mother. I froze for a second, fearing she’d be angry at me for ruining her new Gucci sweater. But instead, she burst out laughing. I laughed too. We both laughed until we couldn’t stand anymore and crumpled into a heap on the flour-coated floor, our arms wrapped tightly around each other.

“Oh Jules, I’ve missed you so much!” Mom exclaimed as soon as we’d calmed down enough to breathe. “I can’t wait till you’re back home with me after the holidays and we can do stuff like this all the time again.”

It took a moment for my brain to register what she’d just said.

“Back…home? We? Wait, Mom, what are you talking about?”

“Ooops…” She slapped her hand over her mouth. “There goes the surprise. I hadn’t meant to say anything just yet. I wanted to wait for just the right time…but I guess now’s as good a time as any! Jules, baby…I got an extra plane ticket so you can come back home with me. We can spend New Year’s together! Isn’t it wonderful?”

I blinked hard. “Mom, I—Why would you do that?”

She looked dumbfounded. “What do you mean, Jules? Why wouldn’t I? I mean, you’ve been gone for quite a while now, and I…” Her voice trailed off, but when I didn’t respond, she continued. “I know how much you love L.A. this time of year. We could take a post-holiday drive down Christmas Tree Lane, you know, just like we used to. And Ricky’s club is going all out for their New Year’s Eve bash this year. Rumor has it Jet Balentine is going to be there. Jet Balentine! And then after the holidays, we could start the new year with a cruise. How does Cozumel sound? Or Barbados?” She paused, a smile frozen on her face. “Jules, are you even listening to me?”

I sure was listening, but I hadn’t the faintest clue how to respond to what I’d just heard. I just sat there, my mouth hanging open in stunned silence. A nervous look crossed her face.

“What’s wrong, Jules?”

I started to speak, then swallowed back the barrage of angry words that threatened to explode out of me.

“Jules?”

I had to say something.

“I don’t get it.” I shook my head. “I just don’t get it, Mom.” My heart pounded and my eyes burned, blinking back tears. “You never cared where I was or what I did back in LA, and now you want me to leave everything I have here and come back with you at a moment’s notice?”

“Jules, I—” I didn’t let her finish.

“It was always all about you and your ‘career’ and the next person you needed to schmooze, and I was always just your accessory. Well, how’d that work out for you, huh?” The words bit more than I intended them to.

“Jules—” Her lip quivered, and her eyes brimmed. “How can you say that? I love you. I always have.”

She placed a hand on my shoulder, and I jerked away.

“I’m sorry, I can’t do this. I gotta go.”

My old fight-or-flight instincts kicked in, and I ran upstairs and barricaded myself in my room.
Let me know what you think!
Last edited by ByeByeBrownie on Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper

ByeByeBrownie
Strawberry

This chapter could probably use a bit more editing, but I was too excited to be finished with it to hold off posting. Ngl, it's probably my favorite chapter I've written so far. I hope you enjoy!

Chapter 9
Connie’s POV:

We were mostly quiet during the drive home. It was after midnight, and I had to fight to stay awake as my eyelids grew heavy.

The tires ground to a halt in the driveway, and Jeff hopped out and jogged over to open the passenger door for me before I even realized the car had stopped. He walked quietly beside me toward the front door—close, but not too close. We hadn’t revisited our conversation from the drive earlier that evening, and I could feel his eyes on me, watching for any hints of what I wasn’t saying out loud.

Our eyes men, and he shifted his gaze toward the house, which was aglow with Christmas lights. “The house looks great,” he observed. “Jules and Buck did a great job with the lights.”

“Yeah, but I couldn’t watch when they were doing it, though.” I cringed at the memory. “They scared me half to death crawling around up there.”

We reached the doorstep and stood there silently, his serious dark eyes gazing down on me. I fumbled with my keys, not sure why my fingers suddenly seemed incapable of holding onto anything.

“You…you know what else scares me?” I faltered, continuing my previous train of thought.
“What?” He stared back at me, bewilderment shadowing his gaze.

Suddenly, I was reaching for his hand. “This. This scares me.” What was I doing?

I searched his eyes for some hint of what he might be thinking. He stood so close to me that I could feel his warm breath on my cheek. I wished he would just pull me in and kiss me. Tear down my carefully-constructed defenses. But I knew he had too much respect for me to ever do something like that without my express permission. And that thought scared me even more. Maybe this was real.

“You know what?” He looked down at my hand, turning it over in his, lacing his fingers through mine. A chill ran down my spine.

“What?”

“It scares me, too.”

Goosebumps.

“It does?”

“You bet it does. I mean, you did reject me once already, didn’t you?”

I giggled, then recovered my serious tone. “Look—” Deep breath. “I’m trying to run a business and go to school and raise a teenager and…”

“…And you’re just not ready yet. I understand.”

“No, wait, Jeff…” I couldn’t let go.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it. I want you to take all the time you need to think and pray about it.” He squeezed my hand, a twinkle in his eye. “I’m not going anywhere.”

Hmm, pray about it. I felt a prick of conscience. It seemed like I’d been too busy to pray about much of anything lately—just blundering from one panicked moment to the next.

I opened my mouth to say something but couldn’t find the words.

“Thanks, Jeff,” I whispered finally.

His fingers slipped slowly through mine as I turned to let myself into the house.

“Goodnight, Connie.”

“Goodnight, Jeff.”

I closed the door behind me and leaned against it, breathing deeply. I closed my eyes. God, what do I do about this? I prayed silently.
A sudden, soft rustling sound drew my attention, and my eyes snapped open. The house was dark, aside from the soft glow of the Christmas tree lights. But as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I noticed the silhouette of a person seated on the floor beside the tree.

“Jules?”

She turned toward me, a rather blank expression on her face. “Oh, hey Connie.”

“What are you doing up?”

She shrugged. “Couldn’t sleep.”

“Something on your mind?”

“Not really…”

“Which is Jules-speak for ‘Yes, really.’ What’s bothering you?”

“How do you always do that? You’ve been hanging around Mr. Whittaker too long.” She paused for a moment, like she was pondering what to say next. “It’s…my mom. She wants me to go back to LA with her.”

“What?!” My heart began to pound, and I couldn’t keep the alarm out of my voice. “Are you going to go?”

“I don’t want to. I really, really don’t want to. But I’m worried about Mom. Her boyfriend Ricky… He’s been…hurting her. If I go back…maybe I could…I don’t know…protect her? Help keep her safe?”

“Jules…” I knelt down on the carpet beside her and took a shaky breath. “You know you can’t do that.”

“I know. But I just…” She buried her head in her hands. “I don’t know what to do, Connie.”

“Has she reported him?”

She shook her head. “I’ve been begging her to for a long time, but she won’t do it. She’s left him a few times…but she always goes back.”

I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. So much weight resting on a little girl’s shoulders. It seemed like I was always finding out new parts of my sister’s story, but I had a feeling there was so much more I would never know.

“I’m so sorry, Jules.” I paused for a moment to collect my thoughts, then began again slowly, “One of the toughest parts about growing up is realizing that we can’t always protect the people we love. We can pray for them and be there for them when they need us, but ultimately they make their own decisions.”

“I know,” she whispered, tears shimmering in her eyes.

“Do you want me to maybe pray with you about it?” I offered.

“Would you?”

“Of course I will.”

I laid my hand on her shoulder and spoke aloud to our Father, the great Healer of broken hearts.

When I was finished, I gave my sister a gentle hug and got up to make my way upstairs and to bed.

“No, no, no, sit back down.” She patted the carpet next to her. “I'm sorry, I kind of made this all about me, didn't I? How was your night? I want to hear all about it.”

“Okay, okay,” I relented, sitting back down again. “Well, first of all, there is no need to be sorry.”

“And…?”

“And…it was really…good. Great. Really great. But confusing. And everything’s so complicated.”

“Complicated how? Connie, Jeff is a great guy, and anyone can see he’s crazy about you.”

“Really?” Deep down inside, I knew she was right, so why did I feel so much embarrassment at hearing it out loud?

“Yes, really! You know, this may be total speculation on my part, and it’s going to sound weird coming from me, but maybe you should take a chance and trust somebody for once.”

I smiled and nodded slowly. “Maybe I should.”

She could be remarkably insightful for a 16-year-old.

We sat together in silence for a few more minutes, before heading upstairs and to bed. I drifted off to a fitful sleep, my heart, body and mind exhausted.
Shiyanne Rylie Steele

Buck and Jules Shipper