Random Works by Mr. Clever

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Random Works by Mr. Clever

Hey y'all! Not coming to you guys again with poems. Thank God. Found an old short story and thought it was kinda neat. So I finished it! Here is the first chap! Tell me what y'all think
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith
Mr. Clever
Cookies & Creme

Boredom had struck Katlin like an oncoming train. Katlin never seemed to be satisfied with New York. It was so big but so boring. Yes crazy things happened but for someone of her personality, a reader and adventurer, it didn't offer much for her.
Katlin plopped on her couch and glanced around her apartment. Through the window, light shined into the room. It illuminated beautiful things such as her vase of flowers on her coffee table, but also unveiled all of the dust floating around.
She looked over to her o-so small kitchen and spotted the picture of her family on her fridge. She missed them so much but she couldn't show it. They didn't believe she could make it to New York. She had to show a brave face and pretend everything was alright when it wasn’t. She slowly exhaled and continued to look around the room. If it wasn't Saturday she would either be busting counters and cooking up meals at the diner she worked at called Dan’s Diner or studying till her brains popped out. But alas it was spring break and she was finally able to relax.
Katlin then looked at the corner of her apartment where she pilled up all the books she had read.
“I really need to get a bookshelf.” She thought to herself. After gazing at her books she was stuck with an idea. Katlin jumped off her couch, slipped on her favorite pair of flats, and bolted out the door. Once she exited her apartment complex the sun flooded the building and blinded her temporally. She quickly regained her vision and perceived the usually bustling and busy streets of New York.
Instead of facing the floods of people she took an alley way into a less busy street. She made her way through the crowds, bumping into people, spotting all sorts of different people. She made her way down the street till she finally reached her destination, Miss Mandy’s Magical and Magnificent Books. Examining this book store made here burst with excitement.
As she pushed open the door her ears were met with the satisfying sound of small bells. When she entered a woman with beautiful, flowing, silver hair greeted her. She had half of her hair in a bun and the rest having. On her face she had unnoticeable wrinkles and she wore cat eye glasses. It was Miss Mandy.
Katlin! I was wondering when you would pop in! I’ve missed you!” Said Miss Mandy.
“Hi Mandy! I’ve missed you too. My work and Studies have kept me locked up but I am finally free! Er-well I mean temporarily.” Katlin said softly. “So do you have any new good books?” She asked.
“A few. They're over there in that corner of the store. You can check them out. I’ll be right back. I need to…uh, get something out of the basement.” Mandy announced her departure and quickly made her way down stairs in the back of the store. Katlin found this quite odd but shrugged it off. She made her way to the section of new books but looked at a few others as she shuffled through the tables pilled with books. She slowly made her way to the corner of the story. There weren’t many interesting looking books. The saying goes “Don’t judge a book by its cover” but Katlin couldn’t help but do so. Books with titles such as The Amazing Insides of Worms and How to Properly Set Up a Ladder seemed so drool.
One book in the very corner of the store caught Katlin’s eye. It was a rather hefty book. About the size of a dictionary. The book was a hardcover, covered in a deep purple, the binding was gold, and small designs of vines in gold covered the book. Katlin slowly picked up the book, surprised by its weight. She noticed one detail she did not perceive while approaching it. On the side of the book was a lock.
“Seems as though I need a rather odd shaped key?” Katlin thought to herself. Rather perplexed by the book, Katlin decided to buy it.
“Miss Mandy! I would like to buy a book…It’s from the corner of the store?” Katlin yelled in an attempt to revive Mandy’s attention. After a few seconds Mandy finally answered.
“Sorry honey! I am looking for a…scrunchy! Yes! My hair is a mess and…I can’t find my scrunchy! Just place the money in the book on the counter. I trust you.” Miss Mandy yelled from downstairs. Katlin looked for a price but couldn’t fine one. For a book of its size and quality, Katlin decided to pay 30. Even if that was too much, Mandy deserved all the money she could get.
“Goodbye Miss Mandy! I’ll stop by sometime soon!” Katlin waited for her to return but didn’t receive any. Confused, Katlin left the store.

~~~

As Katlin strolled home, her book seemed to get heavier and heavier as she walked. Not only that, Katlin had began to become paranoid. Hearing strange sounds in allies, getting strange stares. Katlin was rather repulsed by this and decided to make haste on her walk home.
Katlin soon reached her apartment door. Katlin slid in her key and gave it a good turn. As she begun opening her door she noticed something out of the corner of her eye. A strange little boy at the end of the hall that she just came from. She ignored this and contained into her apartment.
Katlin dropped her keys on the counter, slipped off her flats, and dropped once again on her couch. The book was set infrotn of her and Katlin began to thump of what to do.
“I could pick the lock? No. What are you Katlin, James Bond? Hmm . . . Create a key mold! Nah. Maybe I just rip it open?” After debating herself in her head, she finally came to the conclusion to attempt to pick the lock. She pulled out a bobby pin from her hair and bent the pin.
“There goes another one. I think that was my last? I swear, I buy a pack of 300, I loose 250 in one day.” Katlin said mumbled to herself. The thought of bobby pins brought Katlin’s mind to a memory that hadn’t been accessed in years…

~~~

“Hey Katlin, wanna help me?” Asked Belle.
“Umm, what with? Homework!?” Screeched Katlin. Katlin was wearing a pink cardigan, and shirt with a puppy on it, and she kept her hair up in about 20 hair clips with flowers on them.
“Yeah sure . . . later though. Could I have one of your hair pins?” Belle asked.
“Okay! Can I put your hair up?” Questioned Katlin.
“No. Follow me.” Belle lead Katlin to a less busy hall in the school. They stopped infant of the janitors closet.
“Uhh Belle, this is spooky Jim’s closet? The other kids said he’ll throw his teeth at us if we touch his stuff.” Katlin whispered. Belle bent the hair pin and began moving it around in the lock.
“Well, spooky Jim snitched on me. Me and Rick started pushing each other around he and he a teacher. Now I have detention for a whole week. My dad is gonna kill me.” As Belle explained her face furrowed. Belle would sometimes mention her family and always followed with getting quiet. Katlin tried asking her about it but all she did was show Katlin some bruises on her body. Katlin never understood what this meant.
Suddenly, the door clicked and slowly creaked open.
“Perfect.” Belle exclaimed as a grin spread over her face. Belle entered the closet and started looking around. After a minute of searching, she found a yellow soap bottle used to clean floors. Belle proceeded to pull out a small bottle of her backpack. She slowly uncapped the soap.
“See, add a little honey, and cleaning the floors will be impossible. Only make them stickier and dirtier. Now Mr. Old, grumpy, fat, Jim will learn his lesson!”
“I wont be the one learning the lesson here!” Yelled Janitor Jim! Both girls screeched and screamed in surprise.

~~~

Katlin revisited the memory and got lost in her work. To her surprise, she pulled out the hair pin to find it completely mutilated. Katlin shrugged and dropped the hair pin. Sitting back on the couch, hugging the book close to her chest, Katlin began again to stare blankly at the wall.
As Katlin sat she began hearing voices. First she attributed them to the people next door, but these voices intrigued her. They sounded different. Like little pockets of air were between every syllable. And their voices seemed to be filled with more bass so you could almost feel them more than hear them. Katlin slowly made her way to the door and pressed her ear against the wall next to it.
“Yes I swear. A little Elamef entered this quarters with the Egap. I put my life on it.” Said a voice sounding like a young boy’s, but it sounded like it was going through a fan.
“If you are wrong, you are sent back to the Noisnemid for the last time. If the Egap is in here we must destroy the little Elamef. If the Elamef doesn’t have the Egap, we will also destroy it and you.” Though Katlin was confused, she decided the best option was to escape. She quietly ran to the fire escape, as not to alarm them of her knowing. Running past her coffee table, she snatched the book , guessing it must be of some importance. She made it on the window onto the fire escape just intimate to hear her door explode. She quickly pressed her back to the wall outside of the window. Millions of thought raced through her brain. But one thought remained, Run and hide!
“We all change. When you think about it, we’re all different people, all through our lives. And that’s okay, that’s good, you gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be. I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I swear. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.” - Matt Smith