The Many Works of GJFH

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Connie G. wrote:This is good, Jo, I really like your insight into Odyssey as a whole :yes:
Yeah...I'm really obsessed with thinking about the town's structure if you haven't noticed. :P
Ameraka wrote:I love this exploration of who Jason is.
GJFH wrote: Jason latched on to danger, as a drug, addictive and pleasing.[/spoiler]
I like this line because it seems to explain a lot of his personality. In fact, I read an article about CIA operatives which said that they like the danger, it becomes addictive, these are the kind of people that kind of life attracts.
You can hardly do too much overthinking when writing fanfiction. :)
Thank you dear, I might have read a similar piece on the topic. Psychology is a cool subject.
PennyBassett wrote:
GJFH wrote:
PennyBassett wrote:Ooo! I'd like to see that! I've thought about posting a video of me singing on here too. (Though I might get kicked out of the soda shop for it...)
Why would you get kicked out of the SS? :)
Oh, I'm just not the best singer out there. :? I write songs tho!
That's alright! I'd love to see some of the things you've written! :)
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

*waits impatiently for more*
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Kathy0 wrote:*waits impatiently for more*
Awww thank you for standing by. :) I hope it's worth the wait. I'll upload the third part of the poem tomorrow.

Opened

On that day
our lamb was slain
suffered till' the end
only a few remained
to hear him cry
'It is Finished.' he gave

A death was mourned
his body moved
the veil was torn
and loved ones hollowed
his soul away
our Lord did face
things unimaginable
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

Wow, this is fabulous!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ Amazing job dear! You have a real gift!
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Kathy0 wrote:Wow, this is fabulous!!!!!!!!!! \:D/ Amazing job dear! You have a real gift!
Thank you! :inlove:

Opened

On that day
our lamb was slain
suffered till' the end
only a few remained
to hear him cry
'It is Finished.' he gave

A death was mourned
his body moved
the veil was torn
and loved ones hollowed
his soul away
our Lord did face
things unimaginable

who would have known
a soul could conquer death
to hope the guarding stone
could reveal it was the struggle
that was finished
a corpse out of sight
the sacrifice not diminished
not taken by the night
but opened to giving eternal life

Kathy0
Cookies & Creme

IT IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are very talented!
MnM
Raspberry Ripple

That is beautiful GJFH, and even more amazing because it's true! :D I absolutely love the last stanza! Great job. :clap:
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Thank you both.

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

C-3PO!!!
So I had some black paper and two very bright pencils, and I wanted to draw something Star Wars related. It's a sloppy piece, honestly, so it might help if you squint.

PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I like this a lot! It's got a very odd and original style. Well done!
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

These are just photos I took for fun, and told shnoodlec and Tumbler I'd post. :D

shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Awesome pictures, Jo!! \:D/
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
321tumbler
Caramel Crunch

Oooh very fancy!
Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Ditto! Super cool. I REALLLLLY need to read those books, as everyone tells me all the time... Guess I will... When I have free time... When I'm a grandma... Or retired...
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
“No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else.” P.T. Barnum
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

shnoodlec. wrote:Awesome pictures, Jo!! \:D/
Thank you!
321tumbler wrote:Oooh very fancy!
Oh goodness, thanks, l. :lol:
Jo March wrote:Ditto! Super cool. I REALLLLLY need to read those books, as everyone tells me all the time... Guess I will... When I have free time... When I'm a grandma... Or retired...
Jo, you really should! I know free time is scarce during the school year, Ican relate to that, though one of my hacks is reading when I'm waiting in a line. Also, giving up ten strict minutes here and there while studying, or when someone else is driving and I'm not in the shotgun I'll read.

Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Same here. I usually have at least one book with me, but usually more...
Jo March
"There is no such thing as impossible. The word itself says I'm possible."-Audrey Hepburn
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” –C.S. Lewis
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

here's a thing that actually isn't Jason related (although i have a few of those unpublished here lol.)

Origin Story

7:55 a.m. found Wooton Bassett on the steps of Odyssey's leading, and only comic book store at the corner of 7th and Main. Where between the cracks in the pavement, weeds were beginning to grow up, and the sun pushed its way through the holes in the fence. Wringing his hands, and hopping from one foot to the other, he glanced down towards his Avengers watch, confirming what he already had assumed. A rattle at the door startled him, the man with bushy white hair on the inside inserting the key to the lock. Wooton waved, and there was a visible sigh emitted, but the owner nodded to him all the same.

"Good morning!" Wooton said cheerfully, stepping in as soon as the door was swung open. "Mr. Morenov, My name is Wooton Bassett, and I'm kinda new to Odyssey, but I love it already. Anyways, uh, I'm here to talk to you about something business related," Morenov raised an eyebrow.

"Morning, well, I'm glad you like it. What can I do for you, Mr. Bassett?"

"It's Wooton." He said, his nervousness returning. Cracking his knuckles, he glanced around the small, thought well lit shop. Bright, animated posters covered the walls, shelves were filled with comics upon comics. Figures from various cartoons and series enclosed behind glass cases, and what looked like a Captain America action figure from 60's behind the counter. Wooton's jaw dropped. "Is that a…?" He held a shaking hand up.

"The Mego Captain America with Fly-Away-Action?" Morenov chuckled, his slightly accented voice infused with pride. "Yes, I've had that for a long time." He said as he stepped behind the display and behind the work surface, gently rubbing the blue and white fabric with the tip of his thumb.

"Where on earth did you find it?" Pulled from his temporary stupor, Wooton set the bag he had been holding down.

"Why? You want to buy it?" Asked Morenov.

"What? Oh, no." Wooton shook his head, accidentally snorting as he spoke. "Just wondering, 'cause most people don't realize how valuable those are."

"Hm. It has always been valuable to me. My papa bought it for me soon after we came to America. A friend from school had the comics and we read them together after school almost every day. On Fridays, the corner store got new ones, and I was there as soon as I could." He smiled at the memory. Wooton stepped forward to catch a better look, whistling in appreciation. "Now, what business do you speak of? What can I do? You seemed a hurry to get in." Morenov asked Wooton, whose watch let him know almost five minutes had passed.

"It's about something I made, it'd mean the world to me if you could." He reached down towards the paper bag, and Morenov leaned over, looking slightly suspicious. A dozen glossy, fresh smelling comics Wooton laid on the counter. A curly haired kid on the cover with a red helmet, standing valiantly on top of a tall building. Bold letters across the sunny sky.

"What is...PowerBoy?" Morenov wondered, glancing up at Wooton..

"This is a comic series I wrote, and even published, see?" He said, not being able to keep could excitement from his voice, turning one of them on its thin spine.

"Hmm. I see."

"I just wanted to know, possibly, if I can get to selling these here. The only other way I know of without letting people know is trying the bookstore on the other side of town. That Holstein's. But they tend to not carry books on superheroes." He shuddered.

"These are all you have?"

"No, I have more. I was thinking-"

"And who drew this?" Morenov asked, referring to the art inside. Wooton's face was beginning to turn red. He drew a hand behind his head to rub at his neck.

"Uh, I did."

"Give me time to read this and I'll get back to you. Do you have a card, Mr...Bassett?" He already was reading the first chapter.

"Wooton." Drawing in a breath, his heart thudding arrhythmically, he asked; "You mean, you'll sell them?"

"I do intend to try."

"Whew. Oh, yeah, wow. I should have somewhere..." He twisted around, fumbling until his fingers pried the flat card from his pocket. "My Great-Aunt Winifred always said-" Morenov took the card, nodding his thanks.

"Wait." Wooton said. "I got one extremely important condition. You can't tell anyone who wrote these. It's, it's something I don't people to know, they can't know, please."

"You don't want…?" The store keeper drew his thick eyebrows together. "Alright, yes, I understand. It'll be between just you and I." Of course, already, Wooton's name wasn't to be found in a single issue of PowerBoy, just that of the company printing it, and his editor.

Not terribly long after, Wooton stepped out of the shop, almost into the street. He glanced backwards to see the store owner add Wooton's own works to a display. Breathing a sigh of relief, he settled down on a bench, pulling out a worn print he had since childhood. The front cover held a messy scrawl, penned by a thick marker, the last letter's tail swooping across the page. Stan Lee had signed it more than a decade ago when he had wanted so badly to go to the Comic Conference in Anchorage and his father had scoffed at the idea. At the last moment, his grandfather had stood up and packed him a suitcase full of what he considered the essentials.

"I'm taking him." Grandpa Bassett said, and that was that, no matter how his father had fumed. In the chaos surrounding their family, Wooton had been unable to escape, and this allowed him to breathe again. His grandfather was far more patient than he was used to people being. Grandpa Bassett may not have been a superhero fan but he wholeheartedly endorsed his grandson's love for them.

By the time he, Wooton, was in high-school he started his own mini-series, sending them, or the artwork, as often as every month to his grandfather, and receiving the best of feedback. During the days he could hardly be motivated to do anything, he just laid on his bed watching cartoons, sometimes flipping through the Bible Grandpa Bassett had given him. There was always a villain present, evident in the battles he wrote out with his characters, evident with the heaviness that weighed him down.

The devil is roaming the earth, he was told, seeking to devour, seeking to deceive. Could a monster like that exist? He asked.

"Monster...is an interesting term. He was once an angel, you know. I don't want you to think he isn't smart, that isn't fully aware of what he's doing. He's real, you know, but our King is too, and He cannot be overcome. Jesus conquered death, you know that, Wooton. Good will win in the end." His grandfather said, leaning forward in his office chair. There was such a fierce look in his brown eyes, then. The passion with which he spoke Wooton wanted so badly to feel.

His father said they were myths and fables and whatever word he could throw.

Wooton still struggled afterwards even with his faith. There was also the problem of trying to find a way to incorporate hope and truth within his stories, but writing them filled him with such happiness he kept at it. There was the villains, the heroes, there was the light there.
----------------------------------
the part about the Captain America Figure isn't 100% true. that would have been made during the early seventies, but for the timing here, i moved it back at least five years. this was intended at first to only capture when and how Wooton's comics first became popular, but there's so much behind all that, about why he's so invested in superheroes. i debated including his mom in this one, but i didn't want to complicate the story.
and also! i feel like we've been missing a lil' bit of his authenticity lately.

let me know what you think.

Jo March
Raspberry Ripple

Wow wow wow wowowowow. GOOD JOB. This is super well done!!!
Jo March
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

although i love writing fic, and i don't think i'll give that up for a while, i figured it was time to post a bit from an original wip. i'd love to hear what you guys think.
He was standing by the balcony. It was a secluded apartment that one of their suspects had been hiding in for the last month, chaos had calmed, the circus of police and federal agents diminished.

Graves and Williams had done it again.

“Can I tell you something?” He asked, suddenly putting her off. She had expected a look of triumphance, not the way that his lips were firmly pressed together.

“I don’t, can you?” Dylan asked lightly, already her interest piqued.

“Yes. I think so.” He seemed to have missed her ill attempt at humor. Walking the length of the balcony, Damien shut the door firmly, craning his neck around to see if they were in the clear before sitting heavily on the fountain’s edge. “I know you’re not gonna take this seriously. I’m talking here, though. I’m vulnerable.”

“Vulnerable?” Said Dylan, her voice thick with disbelief. “Damien. I’m not your therapist.” It was low, and she knew it. Damien shook his head, smoothed down the front of his suit jacket.

“”S not what I meant.” He swore. “Graves, there’s people in the agency who want to see me dead.”

Dylan battled down the urge to spill her words, the exclamation that wouldn’t help. He’d been undercover for a while, and there was probably two to three people who knew anything about it, herself included. There was a small enough chance he was paranoid.

“What do you mean? Which people?” She asked.

“I don’t think I should say.” He leaned over, glancing at his loafers. Dylan let out a long suffering sigh, earning her a hard glance, Damien’s eyebrows lifted. “Not crazy. I swear.”

They descended through the stairwell. During the time they had been gone, the sun has began to fall westward, leaving a golden hue against Maiden Lane. She lead him into one of the city’s hole-in-the-wall cafes. Dimly lighted, thick curtains separated rooms from each other. He bought her a cup of coffee, cleared his throat.

That was it.

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

i've been on a kick lately, so here's a poem i wrote about hiking. ya girl is just about to head back to colorado springs !!

Steep paved ground
feet on the mount
the sun begins its low rise,
all our breath is coming in
short.
Above, blush toned skies
have turned over the dark
The valley below lies in shadow
hidden away
we step quickly
over knots of dark root and packed earth
the air has been tightened.
Thoughts shifted
to a summit
drenched in dew
hemmed in by the silent giants
the clustered natives.
Together, we grip strength
closer, closer,
while the sun (rising) paints color
victory in sight, night receding