Accounts by the Countess

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Accounts by the Countess

So! I've been trying my hand at some short stories. So no continuation here, guys. :P

I don't think anyone really bothers reading these back-in ramblings shoved into the Gallery, but hey, IN CASE ANYONE DOES, I'll post it. I let Ox, WD and Mandy read it, and they all liked it, (or seemed to) so if anyone else also has the courage to risk it...

The Perfect Wedding:
The wedding was well underway. The hushed expectant silence of the audience was normal. Everything was normal. Completely.

Ten year old cousin: Why can’t weddings be a bit more in’resting?? The bride walks in in a trail of white. Everyone cheers, kind of. A few wipe away some tears, which I can never grasp. I feel like askin’ WHO DIED? Unless marriages are a sort of funeral. I should ask mother about that sometimes.

The mother of the bride leaned back in her seat and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath. Finally. Finally. What a lot of work a wedding takes. I had forgotten, I had. I will never understand why some people insist on having weddings so utterly flawless. And oh no. The cake! The cook better have remembered to take it to the freezer immediately. I will suffer the consequences if she didn’t. Just like Diana to insist on an ice cream cake for a July wedding.

And there’s the groom. And the groomsmen. Dear me, I hope no one notices that slight wrinkle in Danny’s cuff. At least it isn’t the groom. He, thank goodness, has the sense to look spotless.

To think this day has really arrived. Goodness knows how I worried over that girl’s future. We never did know whether or not she’d leave her crazy nonsensical whims of youth behind. But thankfully, it would appear, she is settling down now. Jack really is a good man. Successful, mature, reserved without being too much so…. just the sort of guy Diana needs, even though she was quite stubborn about admitting that. Well, all seems to have turned out fine in the end. And there she comes. She looks quite happy. And so does Jack. There couldn’t be a more perfect, or happier couple. Or wedding,” and the mother contentedly congratulated herself on her part in bringing this about.

Random Guest #86: They tell me Diana didn’t wish to put much expense into this wedding. Humph. By the look of it, she spent all the leaves on the tree. I have never seen such detailed design. The bridesmaids are decently dressed. There is no telling how much that cost, however. I shan’t even dare guess. This just goes to show the lengths one will go to in order to out-do the last ceremony. The maid of honor is Emily Williams? Who’d a thought?! Rumor had it that Diana and Emily had a falling out years ago. And then again, the Westmonds have always insisted on having airs about their wedding party. The Williams family has connections. And there’s Diana herself. Her face looks too flushed. A bride should contain her excitement, if you ask me. Her dress is perfection, I’ll grant you.

The mother of the groom: So the moment Jack’s been awaiting forever is alas… here. I can’t decide if this day is bitter or sweet. I despise the word bittersweet, so I won’t use it. This is a delicate subject. I am losing Jack…TO ANOTHER WOMAN. And yet, it makes him happy. Maryanna Charles sighed pitifully. Diana is a rare woman. I suppose Jack was wise in not taking my advice when Diana refused to notice him. He never did give up. I don’t really think Diana knows what she is getting. She might think she does, but she doesn’t. Well Maryanna, don’t fret now. These things must happen. Diana’s smile. It is enchanting. Yes, I can see how Jack fell for her. It’s time I let go. They shall be very happy.

The maid of honor: This is actually happening. I am watching my best friend leave me forever. Already she seems in another world. I wonder if we will belong to the same planet after this is all said and done. I doubt it. Why does marriage exist if it has the ability to tear friendships apart? And Jack. What does she see in him anyway? I suppose its love. It always is. Love appears to do really strange unpredictable things to you. I should tell myself not to make the same mistake as allowing love to complicate your life. But it would probably be no use. All girls fall sooner or later into this trap. Diana herself believed that…at one time. Why do things have to change? WHY? I can’t think about this anymore. I belong to the party of the blissful bridesmaids who exist for the sole purpose of making the beautiful bride outshine us. Diana does look lovely. And I am thrilled for her, even if it drives me wildly insane to part with her.

The Minister: This is quite a crowd. Between the two, they certainly have many friends. I do hope this marriage lasts longer than the last one I performed. After five months, the marriage help and counseling has started already. And there she comes. She looks happy. And knowing Jack, marriage counseling will be many years down the road.

The Best Man: What in the blazes is Jack thinking? This whole ordeal is completely ridiculous. Marriage?! And what blasted idea got me involved anyway?! Never again. Would the world end if I took this suit off? Wow now. She is something to look at. Maybe marriage isn’t so bad after all.

The Groom: This is a dream. It has to be. But if it is, I never want to awake. Oh, all the people! Why must they be here? Ah, of course. They want to see the most beautiful creature who ever existed. No one would miss that. Does she know how much I love her? I’m a poor communicator, but she must know. She must.

The Bride: This is a dream. THIS IS A DREAM. If only I could convince myself of that. But no, its real, too real. Here I am, preparing to walk up that isle. THE ISLE. Oh horrors. What a wretched design the carpet has by the way. No, no, I will not distract myself. Think Diana, focus. Emily. One last hug from my best friend. Why does this feel like I am bidding her farewell forever? Who knows, maybe I am. Brides have been known to die on the honeymoon before. Maybe I will be one of those fortunate few.
What an uncomfortable dress this is. But it’s perfect. It sweeps the floor exactly so. I couldn’t have been content with anything less. Although, if it was completely up to me, and I did not fear tossing myself headlong into the fate of those who go against the norm, I should have chosen black. Black. I would wear that color with pride, for today is a funeral. A funeral of my entire life up to this moment.

Oh I do wish this wedding wasn’t so maddeningly faultless. Suppose one of those annoying expensive vases that my interfering aunt insisted on purchasing should fall over and smash into a trillion pieces? Oh glorious. If only there was a blemish somewhere. But no, I shouldn’t wish that. Mother worked so hard for this day. And she should, at least, derive some pleasure from this day.
There is father approaching now. I wonder how he feels about giving his daughter away. Doesn’t he have a heart?! Why doesn’t he stop this from happening?! He COULD. Does he realize the power he has in his hands to set me free? Oh. Oh. OH. I always was brave, but how can face THIS? But I mustn’t falter. I have given my word. A Westmond never goes back on their word. I will marry Jack if it’s the worst mistake I make. It IS the worst mistake. I already know that. And yet, I have to go through with this. I HAVE to. There are no alternatives. No other options.

If I only possessed my courage from former days gone by, I might have the nerve to call this whole thing off. But no. I lost that long ago. A part of me died and it cannot be resurrected.

There you go now. Imagine yourself as queenly and beautiful. Brides are to look that way, especially down the isle. And smile, try. Ugh, this smile feels so pasted. Oh yes, I must look at Jack. He is watching me. And even smiling himself faintly. That is rare. But then, he must be congratulating himself on adding a wife to his successful career. It was the added touch he needed to complete his perfect life. And everyone was sure Diana Westmond would make Mr. Jack Charles an excellent wife. Oh yes, she would hold his household together. I heard the talk. Nothing escaped me. I really wish I hadn’t. Maybe I wouldn’t feel so pressured to be that upstanding excellent young woman if so.

Oh I hate this. I abhor it. One step. Another. Don’t stop. Don’t faint. Keep going. Breathe slowly. Remain calm and composed, yet full of anticipation. Oh, WHO CARES HOW I LOOK. But no, I mustn’t let anyone suspect how I feel. How I feel about making the most frightening decision of my life….

And there. I am here… at the altar. The altar where I sacrifice my dreams, my hopes, my past, my present, my future and my happiness. It will be gone forever, in the same breath that I utter that fateful “I do.”
The minister is starting. Oh I can’t focus on this. No, must I really endure an entire message on how I must be a good wife?! Oh I wish I could have just a moment’s escape. A moment to think again. If I could only re-wind time, I should simply not arrive today. Then again, I went through the same struggle this morning. No I would not repeat that. Although I would give anything to be able to be home again. Without Jack. Without my family. Alone. ALONE. Oh blessed word. To slip away into my lovely forest and feel the caressing winds against my face. To look up at the moon and imagine myself dwelling in the starry temple that rests in the land of the moonlight. To think thoughts that make sense to no one but me.

I wish I could faint. That would delay things considerably. Who knows, maybe the disgrace would convince Jack to find a more suitable partner. Or suppose I would turn around and face the crowd and boldly declare that I cannot marry Jack because I do not love him? Oh yes, it would be a sensation. A crowd like this deserves to see a spectacle to break up the monotony of their life. It would give them something to rage over in secret delight for a few months.

Oh. Oh. We are rising to our feet. How did I just stand? This seems so dream like. Oh no, it isn’t. It’s real. Too real. I CANNOT go through with this. Oh my heart is screaming. Everything is screaming. I’m suffocating. SOMEONE HELP ME. Why does the Minister sound so faraway? Oh...those words… so final, so utterly ultimately terminating. Jack. He’s said them. It’s my turn. No. NO. NOOOOO.

“I do.” The bride smiled serenely. It was over. The crowd all echoed the same sentiments in their thoughts. It had been the perfect wedding.
And yes, feel absolutely free to criticize anything you like. :mrgreen:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Wow.... Mmm..... Sounds to me like the groom is the only one who wants the wedding to happen at all!

PS: If you're talking about the central walkway in a church sanctuary, it's an AISLE. If you mean an island, it's ISLE, like "the British Isles".
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Everyone is supposed to want the wedding, except the bride. But yeah, the others were pretty neutral about it. :P

You're right, thanks. I'll fix that. ;)
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

WAIT, the bride isn't supposed to want the wedding????
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I am going to hope that's sarcasm. :P

HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

No... I don't get it, why wouldn't the bride want to get married?? She apparently said "yes" to this guy, so why does she act like she hates the idea?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So the bride is tired of the drudgery of home and feels pressured by her family to get married. So she finally gives in and accepts a nice guy, but she really doesn't love him as she should, and so the terror that is expressed through her thoughts is only natural. But she feels stuck, she can't back out of the situation without making a scene, and so she goes through with it.

I'm afraid this is the story of some brides, but probably more common of arranged marriages.

HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Ok. I guess I didn't get the inferences as I should have :P
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Well you can blame that on the author for not properly writing the story. :mrgreen:

MnM
Raspberry Ripple

This is really good Miss Friendship! I genuinely enjoyed it. I loved how you used a perfect number people to express the meaning of the story without making it excessively long. :clap: