Helios: Welcome.......to the Unknown

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Helios
Butter Pecan

Pound Foolish wrote:Okay, finally read it all. Bravo. (To me for reading all that, not for your writing.)

More sincerely, your writing is lovely and has fast yet reasonable pace. And you don't post too large chunks at once. I thank you for that.

Please let me remind you, people generally start stories using the method of setting out without knowing where the story will go, which can be fun, but it tends to grow tiresome. People rarely finish these things. You need to know how it will end and how you'll get there sometime. Just a reminder.
Don't worry, Poundy, I'm not like most people, so there's a good chance I'll finish it. :P I know exactly where I'm going. The problem is finding the time to write. :)
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I would say beautiful... But that seems a bit weird, considering. But still, it was well written, and you definitely pulled me in with you talent for story weaving! Good job, Vixey! Can't wait for the next installment!
Helios
Butter Pecan

Lol, you crack me up, 'Con. :D

I'm veryveryvery sorry not to have another part ready. This is driving me crazy to be so behind. :D But since this is my unknown thread, I'll post something completely foreign that has nothing to do with Elf Girl, Buck, or Chronos. Ya ready...? Cause it's gonna be one confusing ride.... :twisted:

“Tanni! Tanni, wake up!”
It's Mason's voice calling me, and I struggle to answer. But my mouth feels dry, and I can't move.
“Tanni, wake up! Please!”
I feel his hand shaking my shoulder. I roll a little, feeling the bounce of a moving vehicle, and realize I'm in the truck. I failed to get free, and I'm still a prisoner.
“Tanni!” He brushes my hair back from my face and rubs my forehead. I groan, just enough to let him know I'm awake. He sighs with relief.
“I thought you were a goner there.”
I give a half-smile and whisper, “I thought I was a goner, too.”
We fall silent, listening to the hum of the wheels against the pavement and the whistle of the wind outside. We're moving pretty fast, from what I can tell. I wonder where we're going and what's going to happen to us. I feel bad for getting Mason into this. I'm the one Marshall wanted—poor Mason just happened to be a hanger-on.
A shiver runs through me as I recall the events of the past few hours. I had no idea things were going to get this bad. I wonder what Lloyd and Jonas are going to think when I don't show up, and the other loaders at the dock are going to know something's up.
Right?
I sigh softly. Naomi will know something, I'm sure of it. She'll get the others to help, and they'll find us eventually. I just hope eventually is long enough.
“Mason?”
“Yeah?”
“How long have I been out?”
He sighs. “Thirty minutes, maybe an hour. Not long.”
“That means Ben and Ally will be looking for me now,” I say quietly.
“Don't say that, Tanni. It'll make you cry.”
“I'm already crying,” I sniff. I realize my hand is stinging from the cuts, and there's a sharp pain in my side. I don't feel like the strong one at all right now, with tears starting to run down my cheeks and my throat closing up.
“Tanni, don't.” Mason squeezes my shoulder. “We'll be okay.”
“Mason, how can you say that?” I choke out. “We've been kidnapped by one of our own—by a human—and now we're heading to who-knows-where—and—and—” my voice breaks entirely and I turn my face away, letting the tears come. I don't hide them from Mason, and even if I wanted to, I couldn't. My head is laying in his lap, and he gently brushes my hair back again and lets me cry.
When I calm down, I wipe my eyes and sit up. The light outside the window is slowly fading. This is when I'd be sitting on the roof, watching the Unknown. This is when I'd be looking forward to meeting with the pack at Naomi's and joking around. Now none of that is going to happen.
“Mason, we have to get out of here!” I bolt to my feet and stumble from the swaying movement of the truck.
“Tanni, calm down.” He stands and steadies me. “We're gonna get out of here. Somehow.”
I don't think so, but I nod anyway. We sit down with our backs to the wall, swaying and bouncing with the movement of the vehicle. We're going pretty fast, I realize. Wherever we're headed, we're bound to be there soon.
“I wonder where we are right now,” I say, gingerly inspecting my cut-up hand. The bleeding's stopped, but it still hurts. I wonder if there's glass imbedded in it. Ouch.
“We've been moving in the circles. I think we're almost out of Slum 14#, on the inner side.” Mason brushes curly blond hair out of his eyes.
“That would be...Slum 4#,” I mentally calculate. “Doesn't Slum 4# border Wandrevir?”
“The capitol? I hope we aren't going there!” he exclaims.
I know what he means. Out in a border-slum, we hear weird stories about Wandrevir. It's heavily populated by Unba, unlike any of the slums. And Unba don't like humans in their city. If we're going there—there's bad news ahead.
“Your hand is all bloody,” Mason points out.
I nod, grimacing a little. “It hurts like the ices. I hope there's somewhere I can bandage it up soon.”
“Here.” He rips some of his shirt tail off and wraps it around and around the cuts, snug but not tight. “That should help it some.”
“Thanks.” I smile at him, but I don't feel it. I feel depressed instead. “We have to get out of here.”
“I know.” He leans back and closes his eyes. “But there's no way to do it now.”
“So we sleep on it?” I ask, almost not believing my ears.
“Look at it this way,” he says. “We'll need the strength—wherever we're headed.”
“Yeah, right.” I lean back and close my eyes. We rest our heads against each other and resign ourselves to the jolt and bounce of the truck against our bones. I don't think I'm tired, but after a while the darkening around me takes effect and I drop off.
Even in my dreams, I feel the urgency to free myself. I'm running through the streets of Slum 22#. The sky is dark overhead, but the streets are red-lit. Sirens are wailing in the background; Unba sirens, which means the patrols are on extra duty. They're looking for me, I know. I want to get to my building and hide on the roof. As I run, I see Lloyd and Jonas burst from a doorway, pursued by soldiers. I shout for them to join me, but they're grabbed and hauled away. I suddenly realize I am on my rooftop, looking down into the street and watching. More soldiers are climbing up the fire-escape, shooting blue electricity from their guns (this is a dream, after all). I hear Ben and Ally calling for me to rescue them from the fire in our apartment, because the A/C broke down. When I try to move, my feet feel frozen to the ground. I watch in horror as the soldiers pour onto the roof, surrounding me. But at the last moment, as their hands grab me and start to pull me away, I look off toward the Unknown. And there, barely visible at the edge of the horizon, is my dad. He's running toward me, with a rifle spraying bullets everywhere on my captors. Hope surges through me.
I bolt up, shouting, “Dad!”
The rumble of the truck answers me.
It's just a dream.
I sink down, still feeling the hope and adrenaline from my dream. Next to me, Mason is laying on his back, staring up at the roof. He looks at me sympathetically.
“Just a dream,” I mumble, rubbing my eyes. Depression replaces my hope.
“Yeah, I know.” He sits up and stretches. “I dreamed my parents were still alive and that my dad bashed through the back of the truck and snapped Marshall's neck.”
I wince. “I think I could live without that image in my head.” Then I sigh. “I just hope Naomi and the others figure things out soon. Maybe they're already on their way to help us.”
Mason moves to sit next to me. “Tanni, do you think we're going to die?” he asks point-blank.
I flinch. “Why do you wanna know that?”
“Because—I think I know where we're going.”
“Where?”
“I heard rumors about stuff like this happening,” he begins cautiously. “People just don't disappear and no one notices. The girl who lived across from my aunt's, vanished one day. Her parents, too. I haven't seem them since. I asked my aunt, but she said there were some things not worth repeating about the Unba. Now I wish I had kept asking. And there were others...” his voice trails off.
I lean back against the cold metal of the truck. Outside, the sky is dark, about 7 o'clock, I figure. We've been in here for three hours. The pack will know something is wrong—they'll be looking for me and Mason. Lloyd and Jonas are probably frantic by now. But the slum gates are going to close soon. I wonder how they will get past those to continue the search.
“We're slowing down,” Mason says quietly. We both hop up and peer out the window, trying to figure out where we are. Bright street lights and swooping hover cars and chariots meet our eyes. It's a big city, we can tell.
A city?
“Wandrevir,” we both say slowly, fear chilling our bones.
“It's easy to get lost in a big city,” I say. “Who would notice if we just...disappeared?
“We already have,” he responds. “No one will know where we are.”
I understand and sigh. But I can't say anything. What's there to say that hasn't already been said? I sit down again, but Mason remains at the window. He's taking everything in; and that gives me an idea.
“When they open the door to get us, you should run for it.”
He turns to look at me. “And go where?”
“Lose yourself. Try to get back home. Tell the others.”
“But—what about you?” He sits down next to me.
“I don't know. But it's better than both of us disappearing without a trace. At least you can tell them what happened to me.”
“No, I'm not leaving you,” he states firmly. “You don't know what could happen to you here. What Marshall could do to you.”
“Mason, if both of us are gone, we have no hope. But if you go and tell the others, there's a chance you could come back for me.”
“I don't take chances.” He looks me in the eye. “I'm staying with you, Tannith Drifess. No matter what happens, I'm going to protect you.”
I scowl. I want him to go back. But deep inside, I'm relieved he won't. So I smile and wrap an arm around his shoulder and squeeze him. He blushes and pulls away and we laugh, a little shyly, but knowing that we're good friends.
We both crowd back to the window, watching the traffic go by. I stare in awe at the chariots, flying scooters I've heard of but never before seen. Mason is excited about the bright streets-lights and tall sky-scrapers. Nothing like them exist in the slums. For a moment, we almost forget we're prisoners of the Unba, on our way to an unknown destination.
We plunge suddenly into darkness and the truck rattles violently. For a moment, I'm afraid we're going to shake apart. Then we break into the light again, a dim, dreary kind of electric light. The truck stops and the engine cuts out. We realize with thumping hearts that we've arrived at—wherever it is. Some place that I have the distinct feeling I'm going to want to run away from before I even get inside.
We instinctively back away from the door as footsteps approach. My uninjured hand finds it's way into Mason's. He's shaking with fear, I can tell. My own body is trembling, my legs and arms columns of jelly. We have no way of knowing what's ahead for us.

Yo, yelsew...I promised, didn't I? :P Tell me whatcha think, y'all. Is this unknown or what? *snickers*
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Ooh, another story to look forward to! I am a little confused--for example, who are the Unba? Are they aliens? Why are the humans living in slums, and why were Mason and Tanni kidnapped? It's really good. I want to know more! You are gonna drive me crazy. ;)

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I feel like I stepped into a galaxy far, far away... Will we see Sasquatch soon?
I suppose I am a bit confused, but you also didn't make it where I couldn't follow... I assume, in time, your world will start to take shape and I will know what the what you're talking about! lol
Can't wait to read more :)
Helios
Butter Pecan

Ameraka wrote:Ooh, another story to look forward to! I am a little confused--for example, who are the Unba? Are they aliens? Why are the humans living in slums, and why were Mason and Tanni kidnapped? It's really good. I want to know more! You are gonna drive me crazy.
Unba: defined as non-Earth dimension humans with super powers, strange coloring of the hair and eyes, and a brilliantly haughty look. They think they're the peak of evolution...er...something like that. So when they invaded the human-inhabited planet of Niobe, they kinda set up an occupation, forcing all the humans into slums. Mason and Tanni are the unfortunate victims of a new and frightening wave of kidnappings that have been going on for a few years. Their capture, Marshall Hancock, a traitor to his humankind, took them because it pays good money. And because he's EVIL!!! :twisted: I'll probably kill him off in some gruesome manner later on. :) That is, if I post anymore in the near future. I have another section of Elf Girl ready.
Liz'alike wrote:I feel like I stepped into a galaxy far, far away... Will we see Sasquatch soon?
I suppose I am a bit confused, but you also didn't make it where I couldn't follow... I assume, in time, your world will start to take shape and I will know what the what you're talking about! lol
Can't wait to read more
NO!!! THERE WILL BE NO SASQUATCH!!! :twisted:

Well...maybe a little. ;)

This is a section from the beginning of the story, but most of the introductory information had been given already. I know it's a little confusing, but I did this because the original group of people reading it already have the first part and I didn't want to have to post the entire section all over again (one of my friends made an infamous comment when I did so...we all yelled at him for having a foul mouth... *shudders of over recollection*)

So yes, anyway, the world will become more clear (that is, if anything I do is clear...) :D

Without further ado (which is in itself further ado)...

Fleeing

Date: February 2, 4092
Time: 05:00 AM by Apollo's Chrono (09:02 AM by Hecate's Chrono)

My feet pound a steady rhythm into the ground, matching the wild thump thump of my heart inside my chest. I can barely breathe for the terror burning through my veins and making my body tingle with fear. The splash-splash of my feet through the blood registers only as vague background noise among the cluttered horror in my mind.
Framed for murder...framed for murder...framed for murder...don't stop! Keep going! You have to escape from this place, from these people! From the ones who want you dead...
Technically they didn't want me dead, since it would have been frightfully easy to kill me off along with everyone else. No, they wanted something more, and that something more involved framing me. But what else do they want from me?
I don't want to know right now and frankly, I don't care. All I care about is escaping—hiding—saving my life before I become one with the dead.
That last phrase is one I heard growing up, along with the command, “If you feel afraid or threatened in some way, don't stop to reason it out. Just run.”
Which is what I'm doing now.
I slither around a corner, almost losing my balance again in the slick blood. My hand reaches out to slow my momentum and I streak red against the silver wall. Oddly enough, the blood doesn't seem to be coagulating like it ought to. Instead, it's still in wet liquid form—like paint.
Another bright flash to my right reminds me that the cam-drone is still following me, snapping photo after photo. I don't understand how it can keep up, since even though my progress is hampered by the slippery street, I'm still running fairly fast. For a second I wonder if someone is behind the camera lens, watching me, but I immediately dismiss the thought. Cam-drones are only A.I.s—artificial intelligences.
Without warning, the sky overhead explodes into fireworks which reflect off the crimson streets and bloodied walls with a garish light. I stumble and fall forward on my knees, my hands sinking wrist-deep into the muck. I'm now stained from head to toe in blood—other people's blood. I don't even feel revulsion at it anymore, just a tingling, overwhelming sense of fear.
Don't stop. Keep going. Keep going. Get yourself out of here!
I lunge to my feet and continue my mad run. My soaked clothes are weighing me down, so I skid to a stop, pull off the long skirts and yank away the collared blouse. Now I'm wearing only the thin long-sleeved shirt and the leggins that I always have under my skirts. Both articles of clothing are fairly well soaked with blood, but they're tight and cling to my skin. It would take precious time to remove them, not to mention the fact that I don't want to go running around a bombed-out city in nothing but my underwear.
Leaving the clothes laying in the muck, I continue running, now free from the restrictive garments. The wind blows my hair out behind me in long, blood-streaked waves. I don't know where I'm going and to be truthful, I don't particularly care at this point. My brain is hard-wired to run and to keep running until I reach a safe spot or drop dead from exhaustion.
“You there! Halt!”
The sound sends thrills of shock rippling through me. I skid to a standstill so quickly that a huge wave of blood splashes out in front of me. Fear races freely through my veins as thoughts crowd my mind.
A human? Alive? I haven't heard a voice since I awoke in the blood in Shining Square. Who is it and how did they survive?
Then I recall the words: “You there! Halt!” I suppress a silent groan. It must be the police coming to arrest me for mass murder. Even at that tense moment, one part of my brain reasons, Well, now you'll be with Buck again.
But going to jail is not the kind of reunion I want with Buck.
I hear the man—just a single man—approaching me from behind. He has a gun pointed at my back, ready to fire should I run for it. How I know this, I'm not really sure, but I know it as certainly as I know what I'm going to do when he gets close enough.
His footsteps come nearer, sloshing their way through the blood. They stop a few feet away from me and I can distinctly hear him reaching back for a pair of handcuffs.
Closing my eyes, I take a deep breath and whirl into him. My elbow catches his rifle-arm, which is braced against his hip, and knocks the gun from his hand. Before he can react, I land three decisive blows to his face and upper chest. He jerks back from the force of my strikes and I advance on him, grabbing his shoulder and neck to pull him in for a knee to the stomach. Unfortunately, the slipperiness of the street underfoot causes me to lose my footing (again) and release him as I tumble to the ground. He slides back a few paces, still bent double, then topples over in the blood and hits his head on the curb.
Momentarily dazed. Good. But now that they're searching for me, where can I run to hide? They know I'm here.
My eyes rove up and down the street, as if expecting the answer to my dilemma to be etched across the walls. Instead, I spot a police rover (an enclosed, two-man vehicle that hovers about five feet off the ground) at the end of the block. He must have arrived in it, but how come I didn't hear him coming?
Never mind. The point is that you, the fleeing fugitive, now have an escape route.
I dash toward the rover, leaving the policeman lying in the street. My mind has fixed on to the rover and its possibilities for escape, and I have no thought for anything else.
I'm halfway into it when I hear a voice calling behind me: “No, wait! Let me come with you!”
Instinctively I turn, ready to fight. One part of my mind wonders abstractly why I didn't grab the policeman's rifle while the other debates the issue of whether I should kill this person or take them with me. But my mind goes blank when the person I see is a girl around my own age.
She's running frantically toward me, slipping and sliding in the blood, panic etched across her face. I can't turn my back on her. She's probably survived the massacres and is now fleeing for her own life, terrified and heartbroken.
“Hurry up!” I call to her, my voice cracking from the strain of speaking. “I can't wait forever!”
She reaches me at that moment and scrambles into the rover. I slam the door behind her and turn to find that she's climbed into the pilot's seat.
“You know how to operate this thing?” she asks, seeing my confused expression.
“No, you go ahead,” I mumble. The effect of the past few hours are beginning to catch up with me, and I barely see her concerned face as she asks, “Are you feeling all right?” My ears are ringing, so I'm not sure I even heard her correctly.
My body hits the floor of the rover, landing in a blood-smeared heap as I lose consciousness.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

A great chapter! I'm glad she's escaping the planet, and I'm interested in finding more about this new person, whoever she is. And wondering where Buck is in all of this. :)

Helios
Butter Pecan

Your wish is my command...in one of those questions. :D

Another Meeting

Time: 012:35 by Apollo's Chrono (16:37 PM by Hecate's Chrono)

Warm water brushes against my skin and I inhale deeply the scent of soap and lavender bath salts. Startled, I open my eyes. I'm floating in a round pool sunk into the floor of a silver-glowing chamber with late afternoon sunlight gleaming through the latticework windows.
How did I get here? Where is here, anyway?
I sit half-way up, water streaming from my hair and splashing into the pool. Subconsciously, I reach back and squeeze more water from my hair, wringing it like a towel and shaking the droplets off my face. Then I remember the last thing I saw.
The rover—the girl—the blood in the streets. She took me away—to here?
I jerk my hands toward my face, peering at them through watery eyes. There are faint stains of red under the nails and in the deep lines in the palms. Besides those, there's no sign that seven hours ago I was sloshing my way through blood and guts. Even most of the blood has washed out of my hair.
The door to the room creaks open and I dive beneath the water, covering my body with the silver-tingled bubbles. A familiar figure steps through the door.
The girl I rescued.
Like I noticed earlier, she's about my age—maybe a few years older. She's shorter than me, with a strong, sturdy build, and short arms and legs. The skin on her square-shaped face is clear except for a light brown mole on the chin, and her blue eyes, round and startling in contrast to her dark hair, shine with intelligence and health.
In short, she hardly resembles the panicked, fleeing girl I saw earlier in the bloody streets. And speaking of blood, there's no sign of it on her. She must have washed it off already.
“You're awake,” she says. Her voice is clear and youthful, almost as if she's singing the words.
I slide deeper into the bubbles and nod.
“I brought you a new change of clothes,” she continues, laying a long blue cotton robe down on a nearby chair. “And there's food in the kitchen, when you're hungry.” Then she comes closer and sits down on a little bench next to the pool. I feel a little uncomfortable, because she's a stranger, but I'm also fairly certain that if it came down to a life-or-death struggle, I would easily leave the victor. Besides, she's probably the one who undressed me and dumped me in here—I don't have much more to be embarrassed about at this point.
“You're not native to Hecate, are you?” she asks.
“No,” I reply, the first word I've spoken in hours. “I'm...from the Vulcan Fire planets.”
“So far away?” She raises an eyebrow. “But I guess the festivals bring a lot of travelers in.”
“Festivals?”
“The New Year's celebrations,” she says. “You know, because of the time difference between the planets, Hecate celebrates New Year's a month late.”
“It's the second of February,” I point out. “That would be fireworks two nights in a row, if you started on the last day of January. Besides, it was broad daylight when they went off.”
She looks at me and some of the panic from earlier returns to her eyes. “It was strange this year. Things happened that didn't usually happen.”
“Strange,” I echo. “So I've heard. But why the massacre?”
She gasps. “I don't know! I didn't even notice until I came out and saw the blood and the bodies. I mean, I was sleeping because I'd stayed up the night before working and I was dead-tired. Somehow I slept through the fireworks and everything, but when I woke up and it was so quiet, I went outside. That's when I saw you fighting that guy and—”
She stops suddenly and stares at me. “You aren't dead! How did you survive?”
“I don't know.” I feel helpless and uncertain now, floating in a pool of soapy water and having in intense conversation with a complete stranger who's somehow managed to survive a massacre that probably killed everyone she knows.
She's still staring at me, her blue eyes wide with surprise and horror. “How did you survive?” she repeats in a strained voice.
I stare back, feeling just as horrified as she looks, but not at all for the same reason. I'm horrified that I'll give my secret away. I'm a government fugitive—again—and I don't even have the proper ID for the fake name that Buck didn't have time to give me. Ashley Quinn's just one of my aliases—a very useful and ambiguous one at that. But I can't use it anymore—for a while, anyway.
So what do I tell this girl about my secret fears when I can't even tell her my name?
“I don't know if I can tell you,” I say warily. “I don't even know who you are.”
“Alexis Shinale,” she introduces herself. She shakes my sudsy hand. “I'm a native of Hecate. One of the last ones,” she adds sadly.
I swallow hard. “I'm sorry about what happened.”
“Why should you be?” She shrugs in a hopeless kind of way. “It wasn't your fault.”
Was it?
The question runs through my mind, insisting it be heard no matter how hard I try to block it out. Maybe the struggle shows in my face or maybe I really do ask the question aloud. Anyhow, Alexis gives me an odd look.
“What?” I ask, sensing a level of confusion and concern mingling inside of her.
“I've seen you before,” she says, a light coming on in her eyes. “On a police bulletin board.”
Alarm shoots through and I almost rocket out of the pool to flee for safety. Thankfully, I remember in time that I'm only in my birthday suit, so I merely sink lower into the bubbles and reply cautiously, “Really? How strange.”
“You're the escaped mechanic from Hendricks Moon Base,” she says in an awed tone. “Ashley Quinn, right?”
The cat's out of the bag, so there's no use in denying it. I nod slowly, my fists clenched under the water.
“You're a fugitive,” Alexis continues. “A wanted girl.”
“Yeah, that's me.”
She looks at me again but this time her face is sad. “Now you're a doubly-wanted fugitive. They'll blame you for the massacre. You were there.”
I shrug as casually as I can though my heart pounds with fear and anxiety. “I'll avoid them. With a score of planets to hide on, how can they find me?”
Alexis stands resolutely. “You won't go alone. I'll go with you.”
I stare at her. “What? Are you nuts? If they find me, you'll be arrested for harboring a fugitive.”
“I've done that already,” she says in a reckless kind of way. “Besides, I have nothing to lose.”
“What do you mean?”
She faces me squarely, her eyes dark with pain. “I lost my family in the massacre. I'm all alone now.” Then she whirls around and stalks out of the room, letting the door slide shut behind her.
I scoot deeper beneath the bubbles, contemplating Alexis' final words. “All alone now.” Just like me. Now that Buck is gone and I don't know how or when I'll get him back, maybe I should team up with her—
Maybe she can help me rescue Buck.
It's a far-fetched idea, but one that brings me hope. Briskly, I step out from the pool, dry myself off, and begin to dress.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I'm glad Elf gets a break, for a little while at least. It's interesting that Alexis wants to go with her. Does she trust that she's not responsible for the massacre? Or should we trust Alexis? Perhaps Elf's (justified) paranoia has rubbed off on me. She appears to be helping, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. :) Can't wait for the next chapter!

Helios
Butter Pecan

Ah, the plot thickens, eh? I'll leave you to guess as to Alexis' true loyalties. ;) Rest assured, her colors will be revealed at some point (in about a billion years, given my writing habits) I'm working on the next chapter right now, but it's coming slowly because there's tons of dialogue and character-building in it. I'm better at descriptive writing, introspection, and BLOODY KILLING SCENES!!! :twisted: Okay, maybe not that last one. ;)

To tide everyone over until I get the next part out, here's the actual beginning of the thing with Tanni and Mason (note: Mason doesn't appear in this part, but there are tons of other funsies) :D

Pack: Sunset's Flame (this is not the actual title..I mean the Pack is, not the Sunset's Flame. I just stuck that on there to make it sound cool, lol)

Don't look.
That's right, don't look.
See those eyes over there?
They're watching. Always watching everything everywhere. Nothing escapes.
Always.
Everywhere.
At least, that's what I've heard.
But you can't believe everything you hear.
I hear a lot of things. Some things I believe; some I choose not to. They're just too weird, or ludicrous, or horrific to believe. I'm not a doubter or anything. I just prefer to believe in only the good, and not think about the evil.
Like those eyes. They might be good; or they might be evil. I don't know yet. But I have the feeling I'm about to find out.
Let's forget the eyes for a second.
It's nighttime. I'm sitting on my rooftop, gazing out into the Unknown. We call it that because no one who goes out there ever comes back. So no one knows what's out there. It's a desert, at least the part I can see. A few scraggly cactus-like plants; lots of rocks and sand; and a dull red sky to crown the affair.
I sigh, and brush my long red hair away from my face. It's been a long day. I work hard, but sometimes—well—sometimes it's not the way I think it should be. I have a family to support: my two siblings, and sometimes I'll pay the rent for my elderly neighbor. She doesn't get around much, and she rarely works. I do what I can to help out.
But my job doesn't pay much. The factory I work in manufactures machinery parts for an Unba weapons' factory. My job is to load the boxed parts into a truck, which takes them to the interior of Slum 14#, the one that's one ring in from Slum 22#, my city. I won't complain; it's a good job. But it still doesn't pay much. And besides, who wants to help make weapons for the enemy? That is what the Unba are; our conquerors. Planet Niobe has never been the same since they showed up.
Enough of that. I need to go inside. Ally and Ben, my 8-and-9-year-old siblings, want me to tuck them into bed.
I go down the fire-escape to reach my house. Everyone uses the fire-escape when traveling between houses. I can't see the Unknown from the windows of our 17th-story house, which is why I go to the roof. Besides, no one goes up there except me.
I step into the front room. The lights are off, but I can make out the couch, end-table, and a small television that furnish the space. It can't fit anything else. To the right is the kitchen, on the left is my bedroom. And straight ahead is a small hallway that leads to two more small rooms, almost closets. Those are my siblings' rooms.
I go to Ally's room first. She's already in bed, but she wants me to put the blankets on.
“I like the way you do it, Tanni,” she tells me. “You make it all snugly, like Mama used to do.”
“I know,” I sigh. I don't mind; Ally and I are great friends, even if she is seven years younger than me. I tuck the blankets around her, patting them to make them smooth. She giggles delightedly as I bend down to kiss her goodnight.
“You warm enough?” I ask, as Mama used to.
“Uh-huh.” Blue eyes shine back at me. I smile and brush back her brown bangs that forever fall in her eyes. She closes them, a smile resting on her face as she drops off to sleep.
I go to Ben's room next. At 9, he's starting to think he doesn't need me to tuck in him. But he's still a little boy, so I do it. And secretly, I think he wants me to do it.
“All ready, Ben my boy?” I ask, stepping in.
He nods, then stretches all his arms and legs down straight, as if preparing to be embalmed. I tuck the blankets around him, tickling him to make him laugh and try to pull my hair. We tussle a little, me rolling him under the blankets as he squeals with laughter and thrashes around.
“Okay, okay, play time tomorrow,” I laugh at last, holding his arms down.
His face is adorably mischievous as he says, “But you're not home tomorrow. You have to work!”
“I know, but I'll be home early. 'Kay?” I wink and grin, and he winks back.
“Okay. I have school, anyway.”
“That's right, little man. Late to bed, late to rise. So let's get you properly tucked in.”
With that finally accomplished, I kiss him goodnight and watch his eyes drop in sleep. A warm feeling stirs in me. My little brother, after all. I'm 15, but Ben and I have a stronger bond than most kids like us.
I still have an hour to burn before I have to go to bed, though. I go back to the front room and plop down on the couch. It would be fun to watch some television; not that there's anything positive to view. The Unba don't have any sense of human humor, if they have any humor at all.
I go back outside and stand on the fire-escape. The sun is still setting, and I'd love to watch it from the rooftop. But it's nearing time for the Unba curfew patrols. They might see me, something I'd like to avoid. I could go see my friend Naomi. She lives in the next apartment building, and next to my good friends Shane and Sloane. The Unba patrol won't catch me between buildings.
I hope, that is.
It only takes me five minutes to get to the bottom of the fire-escape (since few people use the front steps when they're conducting secret activities) and cross the dim alley between the buildings. The Unba patrol almost catches me, but the light isn't good and they're not very quick. I chuckle to myself and continue on.
Naomi's apartment is on the third floor. I mount the fire-escape and tap on her bedroom window. She appears a moment later and lets me in.
“Well, wasn't expecting you!” she says in her lighthearted tone. “What did you do this time, Tanni? Break into an Unba weapons' supply cache?”
“What?” I stare at her.
She chuckles. “Eh, I'm joking. Lighten up, Tanni. Most of the time you only come to see me when you're in trouble.”
“Depends on what you mean by trouble.” I plop down on her bed. “I have an hour to kill. What's been up over here?”
“Nothing much.” She sits down at the desk and fiddles with a pencil. “Shane almost got caught last night when he sneaked into the stock-room. Don't know what he was looking for.”
“Trouble, as usual,” I snort. “How'd he get away?”
“The usual,” she grins. “Hid on the rafters until the guards went into another room. Then down he dropped, slammed the door, and ran out laughing maniacally. I do believe he'd burn the place down if he could.”
“Oh, spare me,” I moan mockingly. “Did Sloane tell you that?”
“Of course. The all-illustrious Shane was hiding again. Missed work, I hear. Not that I blame him. Working in the ration office and all that. Everyone knows they're part of the Unba plots, trying to make us weak so we can't fight against them. Like the Revolutionaries,” she adds, with a dreamy look on her otherwise-mischievous face.
I shake my head. I don't care about the Revolutionaries. The Unba leave us alone pretty much, and I don't think about the people who mysteriously disappear with no explanation. That doesn't fit in with my view of the world.
“So, where's Sloane?” I ask.
“He's—oh, here he is. Come on in, Sloane!” she calls, nodding at the door. It opens, and in walks Sloane Parker, the younger twin of Shane Parker.
At 14, Sloane's already taller than I am. He's also platinum blond, blue-eyed, and fair skinned. I think he should be more tanned, since he works near the Unknown in one of the few gardens our slum boasts of.
“Hey, Tanni.” We bang fists; the typical greeting of our little group. He sits down next to me.
“So, what news?” Naomi asks, spinning in circles on her swivel chair. She's going to get dizzy in a second.
“Shane's still out; he and Jonas are leading the curfew patrol a royal time of it.”
We all laugh at the thought of outwitting those stupid Unba.
“Is Jonas coming over here tonight?” I ask when the laughter subsides.
“Yeah, he has something important to tell us.”
“Since when has Jonas ever been important?” Naomi snorts. “The guy's a failure in life; he's what, 18?”
“And still acting like a 12-year-old,” Sloane finishes.
“Oh, you're one to talk,” I retort. “At least he gets his work done.”
“Hey, I do my fair share,” Sloane defends himself. “What with the Unba doing their best to work us to death, at least I'm still alive.”
“Guys, we can talk about this later,” Naomi cuts in. “They'll be here soon. And we mustn't say anything to upset them.”
Sloane and I grin at each other. We're old friends, and we all know that Naomi is always upsetting someone.
The door bursts open again, and in pop Jonas and Shane. Unlike his twin, Shane is shorter, more muscular, and tanned. Exceptionally tanned, for someone who spends most of his time away from the sun. His hair is brown, his eyes a darker blue, and his smile not quite as charming. More mischievous.
“So, you made it, Tanni,” Jonas greets me. There is that slap-bam noise that accompanies five fists banging in unison. Shane and Sloane laughingly groan over their sore knuckles and flop back on the bed on either side of me.
“Yuck, guys, get off!” Naomi leaps from the chair and onto the bed, bouncing the three of us. I roll off and onto the floor, facing Jonas, who has taken a seat against the wall. Shane and Sloane flop down on either side of me. Naomi remains on the bed.
“Time to get started,” Jonas says, glancing at his watch. “We only have a few minutes.”
We quiet down. This is the moment we spend our day anticipating; the moment when everything comes to a stand-still; the moment when we stop goofing around and acting silly, and become more subdued so that we can hear about the news from outside. Jonas is the primary source, so he begins.
“There's been some strange activity going on far out in the Unknown. Beyond the desert, I think. Rumor has it, the Unba are conducting experiments out there.”
“You wanna investigate?” Shane asks with a sly smile.
“Not exactly.” Jonas grins. He looks at Naomi. “You work in the stock room at the manufacturing plant. A lot of shipments go out from there.”
“Keep my eyes open. Got it,” she say. “What about the rest of you?”
“I'll be on the streets, as usual,” Jonas says. “Tanni, what time do you get off work?”
“4, 5 in the afternoon,” I shrug.
“Good. You'll stay on the roof as usual. I have some binoculars you can borrow. Just scan the Unknown for any sign of Unba.”
“There's a work team that's going out tomorrow,” Sloane offers. “I could go with them.”
“Good idea,” Jonas says. “So, we've all got our jobs to do.” Then he grins. “Now that we've gotten our serious work done—”
“As serious as you ever get, Jonas.” Naomi swats him on the head. This starts a swatting match between them, until Jonas misses and hits Shane.
“Hey!” Shane jumps on Jonas. They wrestle across the floor, grunting and yelping in boy-fashion. Shane grabs his brother's ankle and pulls him into the mess. Naomi and I laugh until our sides ache. Her mom comes banging on the door and tells us to be quiet.
“Yes, ma'am,” she smiles, like the good little girl she is. She turns to the boys. “Now, you heard it, boys. We have to be good now.”
The boys grin and sit up, straighten their clothes, and run their fingers through their sweaty hair. Shane winks at me, and I roll over on my side, giggling wildly. He is so crazy; a perfect compliment to my more (ahem) sedate nature.
“Oh, why do we always have to be quiet?” Sloane whines. “I wanna make more noise.”
“You boys make more noise than a gorilla,” Naomi snaps back.
“Do not! Kiss my snake, you mean little girl!” Jonas retorts.
“You haven't got one. The Unba took it away from you for “animal abuse”, you dirty big boy,” she quickly points out.
“The Unba took away everything I had; everything!” Jonas sobs wildly. He flops over with his face buried in his hands and howls loud enough to bring the walls down.
“Thus have you been sent into the world, and thus will you leave it,” Shane intones solemnly. He folds his hands and makes the most serious face he can muster up. His brow draws down and his lips form a solid line. “Let us pray for Jonas' soul.”
We all quiet down, and even Jonas sits up, his face wet with fake tears and his shoulders still heaving. The solemn moment is shattered when Naomi shrieks, “LIGHTS OFF!”
Shane hits the light switch and we roll onto the ground. We crouch in the dark as our hearts beat quickly. Below, the Unba patrol tramps past the window. When they pass, Jonas raises himself and peeks over the sill.
“They're gone.”
We sit up and breath a sigh of relief. Shane smirks and pokes Sloane in the stomach. Jonas snatches a pen from Naomi's desk and scribbles on his hand, then shows it proudly to her. She sticks her tongue out and smashes his hand into the floor. I pull the rubber band from my hair and shake the red strands down over my face. Then I jump at Shane and Sloane, who are playfully wrestling across the floor.
“Yikes! Wild red baboon from the Unknown!” Shane shrieks. He and Sloane put their hands over their faces and began wailing like sirens.
“Stop that infernal noise!” Naomi pushes Jonas' head onto the floor and leapfrogs over him and onto the twins. I trip over her outstretched legs and thump to the ground. My head bashes into the door-frame with a bone-rattling crunch.
“Kids, quiet down in there!” Naomi's mom shouts from another room.
“Yes, ma'am,” we chorus heartily. Shane and Sloane push each other and grin. Jonas sits up, holding his “aching” head.
“Justice is served,” Naomi smirks. She and I clamber up onto the bed. I reach down to grab my rubber band from Shane, but he shoots at Jonas.
“Hey, give it here!” I launch off the bed. My fingers wrap around the band at the same time as Jonas', and he lets it go, snapping my fingers.
“Ow! Stop it, you!” I punch him lightly in the stomach. He keels over, moaning pathetically in an obviously fake way.
“Oh, Tanni, you're so mean to me. What'd I do for you to be this mean?” he whines.
“It's not what you do; it's who you are,” I shoot back.
“I can't change me.” He bolts up with an annoyed look. “I like me. Who wouldn't like me?”
“The snake,” Naomi giggles. We all go off into uncontrollable laughter, except for Jonas.
“If I still had it, you'd be kissing it,” he says, pointing a finger at Naomi. “You girls are so mean. I thought girls were supposed to be nice.”
“What'd you except?” Sloane puts in. “They live around you.”
We all tumble onto the floor, laughing until our sides ache. It's a joke in our group: Jonas is the leader and craziest of all of us; Naomi is just a tad bit less crazy, but more sarcastic; Shane is the brash one, always getting (or almost getting) into trouble; Sloane (usually) has the most sense of all of us; and I'm the serious one. Well, as serious as any of us get.
“Well, this has been fun, but I have work tomorrow,” Jonas finally says. He stands up, stretches in an exaggerated fashion, and lets out a long sigh. Then he opens the door, and we all gasp as cold air rushes over us. We'd forgotten how hot and stuffy it gets in there with all five of us.
“Let's go, bro,” Shane says to Sloane. “After all, Naomi needs her beauty sleep.” He ducks in time to miss the eraser she throws at him.
Jonas winks, puts his fist out, and we all put ours to touch his.
“Pack rules!” we shout, thrusting our fists up and out. Then the boys climb out the window, one by one. They can't go out the street door, since it's past curfew. I hope they make it home in one piece; the last thing we need is for someone to get injured or arrested by the patrols.
“See you tomorrow?” Naomi asks as I perch on the window sill.
“Yeah, see you at work,” I wave back. Then I swing myself out and onto the fire-escape. It's easy to slip from one building to the next. When I reach mine, I look back at Naomi's window and wave again. She waves back, and I smile. It's our little goodbye sequence; we do it every time.
I hurry up the fire-escape to my 17th-story apartment. My feet rattle the iron grates as my heart leaps. We're going to have so much fun tomorrow. Jonas will spend most of his down time running through the streets, wreaking havoc on the Unba. Shane and Sloane are his partners-in-crime. Naomi's house is where they always hide. And I'm the sentry. I like that part.
The house is quiet when I enter. I wince; this means the A/C is broken—again. I'll have to fix it, since it takes too long to get a repairman. I sigh; this can wait til later. I'm tired, and it's time to get some rest.
I go to my room and shut the door. My pajamas are hanging on a wall-hook, but instead of undressing I walk to the window and sit down on the sill. The wall of Slum 22# greets my eyes. I wish I could make a hole in it, so I could see into the Unknown. That's what fascinates me the most: what lies beyond. I know everything in my city. I'm bored of it. The Unknown offers a whole new range of possibilities.
And besides, it might hide me from those eyes.
Yes, the eyes.
I can still see them.
They're waiting. I don't know why, but they are. They always do.
I want to forget them, but they follow me everywhere. That's why I haven't done anything yet. It might be something natural to be followed, or it might be my imagination. I've never heard the Parker twins or Naomi or Jonas talk about the eyes. Or my siblings, or even my parents.
My parents. I almost wish they were to explain things. Ally isn't the only one who misses Mama and Dad. Mama died two years ago; Dad hasn't been around since. I think he works in the Human Revolutionary, but I don't know for sure. He doesn't talk about it. He sends me money sometimes, and lots of love. Too bad he isn't here to give it in person.
I cup my chin in my hands and let my mind drift back. Back to when life was simpler, when I didn't have a job, and when Dad was here. He has red hair, too, and a big smile like Ben's. I miss him. But, one day he'll come back. When the Revolutionaries destroy the Unba conquerors, then we'll have freedom and hope for the days to come.
That's part of why I help Jonas against the Unba. Personally, I don't want to get involved. I'd prefer to let others face the fight, and I'll be happy to build a normal life afterward. But helping Jonas is fun, and takes my mind off the more depressing things of life. Besides, I smile to myself, he is kinda cute. Curly brown hair, sparkling blue eyes, a cleft in his chin...
Do I sound like I'm gushing? I don't mean to. After all, those eyes are still watching. I definitely wouldn't want anyone to think that I'm starting to “get dull”, as we call it. It means to be an adult. Most of the time I'd prefer to be a kid. I want to stay the way I am. But sometimes—especially when I'm with Jonas—I find myself thinking it wouldn't be too bad to get older. To fall in love. To get married and have kids. My parents did, and they seemed to like it. I can't stay a kid forever, even though it's been great. Of course, life would get even more complicated, but I can handle it. I was born strong, Mama used to tell me. I have the Drifess constitution. I am Tannith Drifess, after all.
It's late. I really need to sleep now. I stand up, stretch, and sigh. Heavy thoughts like these don't usually enter my mind. Only once in a while do I step back from the hectic pace of life to think about where it's going.
I grab my pajamas and rip off my clothes. I leave them in a ring on the floor; I'll get to them in the morning. Tugging on my nightclothes, I pull the rubber band from my hair and shake down the red locks. Shane's earlier comment about wild red baboon runs through my mind and I laugh at myself. I do kinda look like that sometimes. And act like it, too.
Plopping down on my bed, I pull the covers up to my chin and close my eyes. I can almost imagine Mama smoothing down the blankets like she used to. A lump forms in my throat, but I swallow it back. This is no time to get weepy-eyed, I tell myself sternly. I have to be strong for the kids and lead the way. After all, I'm the oldest. Even if I do act like a crazy person sometimes, I never would give up my responsibilities.
There are those eyes.
I can see them even with mine closed. They are everywhere.
Everywhere.
Always.
Watching.
I don't know why. But I don't care now. I roll over and bury my face in the pillow. My mind shuts down and I drift off to sleep.

Long, I know. But hopefully one can chew on this for a while as I burn through my sleep trying to finish the next chapter for Elf Girl. ;) Latah!
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Hm, what could these eyes be? And is Tanni going to go out into the Unknown? This is a nice lighthearted chapter. I assume things are going to get darker (from your earlier chapter. :) )
I can't wait to see what happens next.

I love your writing; I can definitely see a published novel in your future--one of these, perhaps. Have you published anything yet?

Helios
Butter Pecan

Ah, the suspense! :)

Yes, quite darker. And also lighter. This is supposed to be dark events from a light-hearted perspective. Something I've never tried before. ;)

Not yet, but I'm considering self-publishing stuff on Amazon. You know, like e-books and stuff. Only problem is, my work is virtually unknown. I'd need to build a fan base. :D

Next Elf Girl sequence! :)

Planning

Time: 17:13 PM by Apollo's Chrono (21:15 PM by Hecate's Chrono)

I'm sitting downstairs at the kitchen table eating a bowl of stew while Alexis, who says I can call her Lexi, packs a small cooler with non-perishable provisions. We don't really have a plan at this point for what we're going to do. I'm inclined to try to rescue Buck while she just wants to get as far away from here as possible. The ongoing debate at the moment is what ship we should use to leave Hecate Arrow.
“Your emirl ship won't work,” Lexi says, wrapping several small loaves of bread in foil. “For one thing, it's all the way on the other side of the city and it'd take hours to reach it at night, in the dark, while the police are swarming the streets around Shining Square.”
“Don't you have one nearby? Your family probably had a ship they used for short-range excursions to the other Hecates,” I point out.
She hesitates. “I—I don't want to go back to my house in the city.”
That, I should explain, is a slightly confusing thing about Lexi. It seems her family had two houses: one in the city surrounding Shining Square, and a vacation one out in the mountains. That's where we are now, in the Silver-clad Hills, which is about three hours away from the main city and the Square.
I assume that her family ship is located somewhere within the city and I agree that I, too, don't want to venture back in there. I'd get arrested on first sight and Lexi—I don't know what would happen to her and I don't intend to find out.
Not unless I'm trying to rescue Buck, anyway.
“So we'll need to procure a ship from somewhere else.” I nod to myself, absentmindedly stirring a crust of bread around in my stew. “You would know better than I would where we could get one.”
“I can't fly it if we do get it,” Lexi objects. “You'd have to do that.”
I smirk. “I doubt there's a ship in this galaxy I can't fly.”
Lexi sits down and regards me thoughtfully. “For a teenage girl, you sure seem to know a lot about a lot.”
“I learn quickly.” I swallow a spoonful, toying with a stray slice of potato on my tongue. Usually, I'd be very careful revealing information to a stranger, someone I've known for less than four hours technically speaking. But Lexi is one of the nicest people I've ever met, and besides, she's just lost her whole family in one fell swoop. She needs the companionship, even if it means I give away a few of my secrets.
It's not like I was planning to do anything else with them.
Oddly enough, I feel comfortable telling Lexi practically anything. She's not the sort of person you can easily mistrust.
I have an idea, one that sounds like it should work. “We'll steal a ship.”
Lexi stares. She must be an ordinary honest citizen of Hecate Arrow. That will change as she spends time in the company of a wanted fugitive who has no problem with stealing, lying, and killing to survive.
Okay, maybe I'm not exactly the scoundrel and rogue I'm make myself out to be. Still, I sometimes ride a rather thin line between good and evil.
Some of us walk in the darkness. Others walk in the light.
I shake my head, unable to identify the origin of that quote. Is it from my childhood? Or something someone here said?
Lexi interrupts my thoughts. “I guess it doesn't matter much at this point. We just need to get out of here. We can leave it on another planet and buy one there.”
I nearly choke on my food. “Buy? That's like, six grand in ayae creds alone, not to mention the forged documents we'd have to get from somewhere. It's just easier to steal a ship—without proper documentation—and use that until you need another one. Or until you run into a black marketer who can get you exactly what you need for a very high price and no questions asked.”
“You do this a lot, don't you?” Lexi raises her eyebrows curiously.
I shrug. “Not excessively, but yeah. I've stolen a few ships before.”
“Why?”
“It's in the business of being a fugitive and wanted criminal and all that.” I wave my hands, accidentally flinging globs of stew through the air and onto the floor. “You learn to avoid the authorities at whatever cost. Stealing is the least of your worries, I can tell you that.”
She gives me a look I can't quite read. It has traces of surprise, repulsion, incredulity, and fear, but it also has admiration. I've managed to impress Lexi with my brief introduction to the life of a hunted girl.
“So how does this stealing thing work?” she asks, apparently having up her mind to go along with it.
“It's simple.” I swallow a mouthful and think for a moment, casting about for a way to explain it. “We need a cruiser, one capable of reaching another planet in a few hours. Once we escape Hecate Arrow, we should head for—for—” I stop for a moment, trying to recall the name. “For Vulcan Fire Five. I know of a good place there that sells high-quality jet-speeders. Perfect for evasion, dog-fighting, and hiding. Stolen models are usually imbedded with a special radar-scrambler. The best ships are actually on V-F Three, but I can't go back there.”
“Oh?”
“Unfortunate incident in one of the public landing facilities.” I frown. Somehow I have only a vague impression of my flight from Vulcan Fire Three. I know the emirl ship took me to meet Buck. We argued, I changed clothes—but it seems something is missing from the whole picture. I just can't put my finger on it.
“You didn't really answer my question,” Lexi says. I jerk back to reality and give her a confused look. “About the stealing thing,” she reminds me.
“Oh, yes. Sorry, I get sidetracked sometimes. Rabbit trails.”
“Rabbit trails?” she laughs. I'm startled by her laughter because it transforms her from a silent, wary, brooding young woman into a lighthearted and bubbly girl. And of course, I've never heard her laugh until now. Having your family taken from you in a single night doesn't give you much reason to laugh.
I know that all too well.
“Rabbit trails is an expression,” I explain. “One I used a lot when I was a child.”
“How old are you, anyway?” she asks, seemingly forgetting that we were talking about ship-theft a second ago.
I hesitate, not because I don't want to answer her, but because for some reason I can't readily bring my age to mind. One would think that I would always know how old I am, since I'm not really all that old. I mean, the younger you are, the easier it is to remember your age because you have so few years. After an awkward moment I answer, “Sixteen. I'm sixteen.”
“You know a lot for a sixteen-year-old,” she observes. “How long have you been...a fugitive?”
I hesitate again. Usually I'd be able to spit out the years in a heartbeat. I've done it often enough with Buck. But why can't I seem to remember the dates like I used to?
“Several years,” I answer finally. “I—it's been a while.”
“Understood.” Lexi nods. “So, about the ship-stealing...”
“Um, yes!” I'm glad to return to a subject that doesn't require too much brain power to discuss. “I don't know where you'd find a good-range cruiser in this area, but once we locate a hangar, I'll sneak in and get what we need. You should hide somewhere nearby so we can take off as soon as possible. And we'll need to install our own radar-scrambler for the time being, until we ditch this ship.”
Lexi's face darkens. “I know of a good place. Not too far from here, actually.”
“Where?”
“The silver mine prisons.”
I raise an eyebrow. “Sounds dangerous.”
She snorts. “Is that irony?”
“If you mean, it's ironic because I'm a dangerous person to be with, then yes.” I grin suddenly and she grins back. “I do have a sense of humor, you know.”
“I don't doubt it.” For a minute she looks like she might laugh again, then her face becomes serious as she says, “It is dangerous. It's connected to the police-station by a tramway underground, so there's a guard at all times.”
“I can handle that.” I imagine taking out the guards, my knives flashing through the air, the feel of the wind in my face as I make my swift and deadly assault. The gruesome pictures I'm conjuring up are merely memories of what I've done before.
At least these are memories I still have.
“So that's our plan,” Lexi finishes. She looks a trifle dubious and I don't blame her. It sounds half-baked, a patchwork of a plan as my...my....
That's weird. I don't remember who used to say that. Was it a friend? A family member? An enemy?
“Yeah, that's it,” I echo. “We'll need to start as soon as possible. The longer I stay here the more danger we're in.”
“I kind of got that impression already,” Lexi says with a hint of impatience. Then she gives a half-smile as way of apology and stands up to continue packing our provisions.
Having finished my food, I push my bowl away and stand, stretching my sore and aching muscles. The bruise on my back feels tight and swollen despite my long, hot soak in the bathtub earlier. It would ease my mind if I could examine it again, but we don't really have time for that. We need to get going.
It would also be nice if I could get a few more hours' sleep, I tell myself. But again, we don't have time for that. I can sleep once we escape.
I chuckle darkly to myself, speculating on all the unknowns that Lexi and I will have to meet in our race for survival.
I'll sleep if we escape. If we don't, I'm dead.
Then I remember Buck and what Lexi told me about the silver mine prisons. If we have time, I might be able to get to him through the tramway.
It's a big if, yet one I wouldn't hesitate to take. I know Buck would want me to flee, to save my own life. But I can't just leave without talking to him. Too much is happening that I don't understand. Too much that I can't control or even predict. I need him.
A lot.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Poor Elf! I hope she finds Buck soon and that they both escape. I can't wait to see the silver mine prisons and find out just how dangerous they are. :)
Helios wrote: I'm considering self-publishing stuff on Amazon. You know, like e-books and stuff. Only problem is, my work is virtually unknown. I'd need to build a fan base. :D
I have looked into that too. I'm not totally sure how to go about it, especially marketing. How do you get fans if no one knows about you? The catch-22 of the new author. Advertising might cost $ I don't have, and I'm not sure how to go about getting a good book cover etc.

Helios
Butter Pecan

Gah! *gasps as if coming up from a thousand-meter dive* I haven't been on in almost a month in this area! O.o I'm working on Elf Girl as fast as possible...which isn't very fast, I'll admit. Never fear, I'll get there! But to tide everyone over, I'll post more Pack! ;) (and the silver-mines are very, very dangerous...look up Hecate if you're curious to find out why..) :twisted:

Ben wakes me in the morning.
He flies into the room, jumps onto my bed, and bounces up and down while hollering at the top of his lungs, “GET UP GET UP GET UP!”
I jerk awake, eyes flying open and hands landing on his neck. I could strangle him, but I don't want to hurt him. Instead I tickle him until he falls off the bed, laughing and shrieking with delight.
“Play time! You promised!” he shouts. He rolls away from my clutches and runs wildly around the room, making as much noise and damage as he can.
“Yeah, I know, but I'm not dressed for that!” I tug the blankets up to my chin. “I need to get dressed. Clear out, please!”
He scampers out, his feet swishing through my clothes from last night.
“I was going to wear those, you know!” I yell. But I'm laughing, too. I don't care if my clothes are messy or not.
I jump up and shut the door, then rush through my morning preparations. Outside, Allie and Ben are singing and jumping over the furniture in the main room. They want breakfast, and they're letting me know it.
“Okay, okay, I'm coming!” I yank the door open. They pause, halfway over the couch, and flash mischievous grins at me.
“I thought you were going to let us starve,” Ben says too innocently.
“Not today, little man.” I run my fingers through my hair, shake it down, and head for the kitchen.
“Come on, we need to hurry. Did we oversleep again?” I glance at the clock on the wall.
“Nope, you did,” Allie says sweetly. She plops into her chair and plants her elbows on the table. “You look beautiful, Tanni.”
“What do you mean?” I ask, giving her a question-mark look as I pull cups from the cupboard.
“Your hair,” she points. “I like it out. It's a nice color.”
“Wild red baboon,” I laugh. “That's what Shane said last night.”
“Tanni, when can we visit Shane and Sloane again?” Ben asks. “I wanna play with the big boys.”
“Not today,” I smile at him, apologetically. “I have work, you have school, and they have—work, too.”
I set the bowls and milk jug on the table. Allie and Ben dig in with spoons, mismatching ones, I note with a smile.
We eat quickly, one eye on the clock, the other on the door. Unba patrols come by and knock on every door, making sure everyone's out and about by 9 o'clock in the morning. Speaking of which, it's 5 minutes to 9.
“Time to clean up.” I jump up, grab the dishes, and plunk them into the sink. “Grab your stuff, we're heading out the door now.”
They bolt back to their rooms. I wipe off the table with a wet rag, drape it over the side of the sink, and then notice my reflection in the shiny surface. My hair is lovely, I'll admit. I run my fingers through it, wondering if Jonas notices, then let it fall back onto my shoulders.
I run to my room, grab my jacket and knapsack, and a rubber band, then tear into the living room. Allie and Ben are waiting for me, coats on and backpacks slung over their shoulders.
“Ready?” I ask, pulling my jacket on.
“Ready,” they answer in unison. How cute, I smile to myself.
Just then, I remember the lunches in the kitchen. I made them last night before I went onto the roof. I grab them out of the fridge, give two to my siblings, and tuck the other two into my knapsack. Then I go into the living room.
I open the main door, which is right next to the kitchen door. This is the door we're supposed to use, but rarely do except in the mornings. A chill of fear sweeps through me when I see the Unba patrols ascending the stairs, knocking on doors and calling for people.
“Come on, kids, let's go.” I quickly usher them out, shutting the door behind me. We rattle down the metal steps, easing past the patrols. Only the one at the end stops me.
“On your way out?” he asks.
“Yes, sir.” I look at the ground, my heart beating a little faster than usual. My siblings crowd behind me.
“What are your names?” He pulls out an electronic data-pad to check me.
“Tannith, Benjamin, and Allison Drifess.”
“Yup, checks out. You're clear to go.” He waves us on, and I gladly move away. Allie creeps up behind me and takes my hand.
“Weren't you scared?” she asks, her voice a mere whisper.
“Of course I am.” I smile, my lips trembling. “Don't worry, Allie, your sister is always brave when it comes to the soldiers.”
She sighs contentedly and walks closer to me. Ben is trying to puff up and look brave, but I know he's as scared as I am. I don't like the patrols, it's obvious. But I ignore them, and they ignore me, pretty much. Only people like the Parker twins and Jonas get attention.
Speaking of attention—
“Hey, Tanni!”
I groan inwardly at the voice. It's one I know all too well, the voice of Lloyd Bannister, the tall, handsome, dark-haired guy from my building who makes every girl swoon. He always picks on me on the way to work. I'd say he likes me, if I didn't know him well enough to know that he doesn't like me because my dad is a Revolutionary. It's not common knowledge, so don't ask how he knows. All I know is that he does, and my hope is that he won't tell.
“You're early today,” he smirks, planting himself in front of me. We've reached the bottom of the stairs, but he won't let me off.
“I know, Lloyd,” I sigh. I look over his shoulder and try to communicate my disinterest.
He doesn't take it. “You know, I was thinking we could talk sometime today. We have so much to catch up on.”
“You know, you live right above me,” I point out. “You talk to me everyday—right here! So hurry and say it. I have to go.”
“Okay, fine.” He crosses his arms and grins. I know he won't move until he's said it, and I need him to move if I'm going to get off the stairs. So I sigh inwardly and hope it won't take long.
“I heard about your dad, you know.”
I quirk an eyebrow. “I know. You remind me of it everyday.”
“No, you don't understand.” His eyes shift around, and he leans closer. “I heard that the patrols picked him up on his way in last night.”
My breath catches. “What do you mean, on his way in?”
“He was coming to see you. But somehow the patrols got word of who he was, after he passed the checkpoint, so they ran him down—and that's the last anyone's seen of him.”
I recoil back against the metal railing, shock overtaking my sense. My siblings crowd close to me, afraid. Lloyd looks more serious than I've ever seen him.
“We need to move,” he whispers, taking my arm and pulling me into the street. “The patrols can't find us together.”
“What do you mean, together?” I ask numbly.
“They know I saw what happened. I risked my safety coming to tell you. Quick, into this alley, all three of you. We have to keep quiet.”
We scuttle into the darkness, fear hammering in our hearts. I'm slowly coming back together, pulling myself up. I need to remain calm. I'm surprised Lloyd is helping me, but you never know people until it comes right down to it, I guess. He looks very serious now. I get the feeling he's in danger and he knows it.
“Okay, I have it from some good friends that since I'm in danger, you probably are, too. Tanni, you gotta be careful today, at work, in the street, at home. Hide whenever you can, don't look anyone in the eye, keep a low profile.”
“Does Jonas know what's going on?” I ask, my breath coming a little faster.
“Not yet.” Lloyd glances out the alleyway. “I'm still looking for him—oh, quick, here come's a patrol! You two, scram!” He waves my siblings away, then jerks me up against the wall.
“Lloyd, what are you doing?!”
“Quick, we gotta make it look like we're dating.”
“Yuck! Okay.” We lean against the brick wall and wrap our arms around each other, and I lay my head on his shoulder. We're hoping the patrol won't notice anything unusual about two teens in a dark alleyway.
“Hey, you two, get a move on it!” The lead man spots us and jerks Lloyd out of the alley. I stumble behind him, losing my balance and falling down.
“Oh, Beth, I'm sorry!” Lloyd quickly picks me up as the patrol marches off.
“Beth?” I query, my eyebrow raised. “They're not going to fall for that. The guy who yanked us out is the one who checked me coming down.”
“Oh, no! They'll know I was bluffing!” Lloyd lowers his voice. “You go on to work. I'll tell Jonas and the others, and make sure your siblings make it to school.”
“Thanks, but...” I look at him, my heart still beating fast from fear. “Lloyd, why are you helping me? I thought...you know...you didn't like my father.”
“I don't,” he says seriously. “I don't like him in prison.” Then he smiles, pats my shoulder, and takes off into the alley.
I shrug, a little uncertain, but hopeful. Now I really need to get to work. I join the rest of the citizens moving through the streets, hoping to blend in. Naomi joins me as I pass her apartment. We both smile and nod, but say nothing. It's not safe to. We don't know who's listening in the street.
Or who's watching. Like those eyes. I can't see them, but it's daytime, after all. And Naomi seems to make them disappear. I smile, shake my head, and forget the eyes. I can worry about them later.
We arrive at the doors of the factory and go into the break room. I hang up my jacket and knapsack on a hook, take down my uniform, and put it on. My hands are still a little shaky from the morning's activities. I look over at Naomi, who's braiding her hair back. I'd like to tell her what happened, but I'm afraid. Afraid for her, for Lloyd, for myself and my siblings. I don't know what's going to happen if I tell, so I keep quiet.
I head to the loading dock, where the trucks are already pulled up. I'm still thinking about how Jonas will react to the news. I hope he'll think up a good plan to protect my remaining family members. I don't mind myself in danger, but I hate to put my siblings through it. And there's old Mrs. Buecre to think about. Who's going to take care of her if I go? I remember suddenly that I forgot to check her this morning. Oh, well. I have work off at 4. I'll see her then.
My thoughts are so occupied I don't even notice where I'm going. Umph! I ram into my boss, both of us staggering from the impact.
“Whoa! Sorry, Mr. Satchthel,” I say, backing up and turning red.
“Watch yourself, Tanni,” he says gruffly. But then he smiles, and I know all's forgiven.
I hurry on to my dock, paying more attention to my surroundings. My loading partner, Mason, is already hard at work, checking labels on the boxes that are carried by conveyer belt out to the dock.
“Hey, Tanni, this one goes to truck 9#, there at the end,” he tells me, pushing the box toward me.
“Thanks.” I hoist it up, steady my balance, then move off toward the end of the row. Mason and I load trucks 9# and 10#. Usually I do the loading, since I'm taller and stronger. Mason's only 13, after all. He's a little young for this kind of work, but he doesn't have a choice. His parents are dead and his aunt takes care of him. She can't afford to send him to school, so he got a job here. I look after him a lot, though he's not as close a friend as Naomi and the others.
I hand off my load to one of the placers on the truck and go back for another box. I will admit, this job gets a little boring at times. Something with a little more bounce to it, like Jonas' job of running errands for the bank, would be more fun. But this job is stable, simple, yet requires a strong back and sturdy legs. Perfect for me.
Halfway through the morning, Mr. Satchthel comes out with a message that someone's on the phone for me. I tell Mason I'll be right back and then hurry into the office.
I pick up the phone from the desk. “Hello?”
“Tanni, it's me!” Lloyd's voice sounds desperate. “I don't have much time, I think they're on to me. Look, I told Jonas; we'll meet you at the east gate at 4 this afternoon. Be there!” He hangs up before I can reply. My hands shake as I put the phone down. This is getting much more serious than I could imagine.
“Tanni? Everything all right?” Mr. Satchthel is standing in the door.
“Oh, yes, everything's fine,” I say. I smile brightly. “That was my boyfriend.” I walk out, knowing that I didn't lie to him. Lloyd is my boyfriend—in that unromantic sense, anyway. I didn't even like talking to him until today. But sometimes, life changes in a single moment.
I go back to the dock. Mason is still there, as usual, the trucks are still being loaded, and everything looks normal. Yet, I feel different inside. Something's happening to me, changing me. I already feel older than I did this morning, waking up. I'm getting dull now, I guess.
Oh, forget it. Those eyes will be back soon. I don't want them to see me as I am now.
I grab up the next box and hustle it to the truck, hoping these thoughts will leave my mind.
“So, Tanni, who was that on the phone?” Mason asks when I come back.
“Oh...my boyfriend.”
“You're dating?” He gives me a funny look.
“Not really...” I try to make sound like I don't want to talk about it. “I mean...we just met this morning...he wanted to check on me.”
“Oh.” Mason looks confused, but doesn't say anything. I lug off the next box, hoping my heart will stop beating so rapidly and my cheeks won't burn red. Then Mason will know something is up.
When I come back, I look around to make sure we can't be overheard. “Look, I have to leave early today...can you cover for me?” I lean in close. “I'm gonna meet up with him, and it has to be at 4.”
“Sure, I can do it,” he agrees.
“Thanks, Mason!” I skip off with the next box, my body light with excitement. It'll be fun, I tell myself. It'll be just a normal meeting. Then we'll go to Naomi's house and laugh it off. I hope Lloyd will come, too. I never thought of him as being part of the pack, but he just might fit in. He'll have to hide from the patrols somewhere. Then I think of my dad—and a chill of fear dampers the excitement.
Lunch time rolls past without a stray from the norm. Naomi and I eat together, laughing and talking. I don't tell her anything; it'll come out tonight. We exchange sly glances, however, at any mention of the Unba. We have our jobs to do, and she's doing her's, I hope. I don't ask if she knows anything yet. It can wait.
I notice Mason sitting by himself at the end of the table. He does that a lot, since he usually doesn't bring a lunch. I dig into my sack and pull out a small, wrapped parcel. Then I stand and walk quietly over to him.
“Mason?”
“Yeah?” He looks up, and I can see the tears in his eyes. But he's too brave to cry. I place the parcel in front of him, and say softly, “I didn't forget this time.”
His face creases in a smile. “Thanks, Tanni.”
I smile back and pat his shoulder. Then I move back to my seat with Naomi. I feel older again, like I did this morning after Lloyd called. It's true I “mother” Mason a little. But I also take care of him in practical ways. He doesn't get much to eat, at work or at home, so I try to fill in the cracks. It's not ideal, but I do my best.
After lunch, Mason and I go back out to the loading dock. A third of the loaders are clustered around one of the trucks, examining something. Curious, we go over to take a look.
“Like I said, it's just a rumor, but it sounds plausible,” Hayden Forsenthe is saying as we walk up. He's standing inside the truck, in front of a box with strange markings on it.
“What's going on?” I ask out loud.
“Tanni,” Bethie Mills grabs my arm in a grip like a vice, “Hayden says that your dad was seen in the city last night. And that he's responsible for designing a prototype of a new bio-weapon that's sitting in that truck.” She points to the box behind Hayden.
My stomach drops out. I feel like throwing up. What does my dad have to do with this? More important, what am I going to say?
Mason squeezes my hand. He's worried, too. He knows a little about my dad, and he's a Revolutionary sympathizer. He's going to join up in four months, when he turns 14.
“I—um—don't know anything,” I stammer after a moment. I pull away from Bethie, feeling like everything is going to be blown in a minute. “I haven't seen my dad in a while.”
“He writes to you, doesn't he?” Hayden asks.
“Some,” I admit. “But I don't know anything.” I back out of the crowd, wishing I hadn't spoken up.
They're not backing down.
“C'mon, Tanni, you know something.” Marshall Hancock, the flirt of the entire factory, eases up to me. “It's not like you to hold back on us.”
“Look, guys, I really don't know anything. I just work here, after all.” Mason and I are quickly backtracking. “We can talk about this some other time, I need to work, goodbye!”
We bolt away to our dock, hearing the ripple of conversation behind us. I wipe sweat from my brow and breath a little easier.
“That was close,” Mason whispers. I nod.
“Yeah, we should get going at 4, both of us. They might try to use you to get information from me.”
Mason looks horrified. “No! They're humans, like us. Only Unba would be that mean.”
I want to believe him. I really do. But—I have the gut feeling he's wrong.
And those eyes—supposing they're Unba eyes? Watching me, waiting for when I'm alone and unaided, waiting to take me like they did my dad? Ready to sink their claws into my entire family? Or my friends? Or my coworkers?
Or maybe they already have. And that's why I have this feeling.
Maybe—one of the humans will betray me.
And I'm in a trap. Should I meet Jonas and Lloyd at the east gate? And risk them getting in trouble?
Oh, wait, Jonas is always in trouble. That narrows it down to Lloyd, my new “boyfriend”, sorta. He wants to help me. He's risking everything to do this. Can I turn that down? No.
So, my ultimate decision is yes.
Whatever happens, I need the slum cute guy and the slum crazy guy on my side.

.....*sigh* Ah, young romance. So much fun to write! ;)
Last edited by Helios on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

So there's a love triangle building here. It should get interesting as both these guys are involved in...whatever danger Tanni is facing. "The slum guy and the cute guy." :)

It's interesting how she suddenly notices she's feeling older. I have a feeling she's going to grow up even more than she's had to, working and taking care of her siblings.

What do the Unba look like? I'm not sure if I remember a description of them (I didn't re-read the previous chapters).

In a sentence near the end: "They might try to use you to get information me.” I assume you would have a 'from' in there. ;)

Helios
Butter Pecan

Yeah...definitely working the tri angle here. :P

Unba look like humans...sometimes they have odd hair-and-eye colors, like pink or neon green or purple or stuff. But they look pretty human (except you can tell the difference...Unba have a certain light in their eyes...like between elves and men) :D

Oh, thanks for catching that from! :D I'll edit it.

Here's the next piece of Elf Girl...I know...it's been a while. But I am working on these! :D

Sneaking

Date: February 3, 4092
Time: 20:00 PM by Apollo's Chrono (01:02 AM by Hecate's Chrono)

Suppressing a yawn, I peer out the window of the police rover into the gathering darkness of Hecate Arrow. The sun won't be showing his face until well into the morning, so Lexi and I have the cover of night as we slip silently down the Silver-clad Hills and into the mining camp prison between the Hills and the city—I still don't know the city's name and I really don't want to know.
“I'll drop you off at the prison entrance,” Lexi tells me. “Everyone's on vacation since it's the festival time and there's virtually no one here. There should be only guard on duty right now.” She yawns, a reminder to us both of how late it is. Yet it's not all that late. It's a little shocking to realize that less than twenty-four hours ago, she was a normal girl with a normal family, and I was your typical teenage fugitive with a handsome, dashing guardian.
Okay, scratch the dashing part. But Buck is definitely very handsome. My cheeks burn red-hot whenever I envision his sparkling green eyes, his finely-outlined features, the strength and character in his warm smile—
“We're here.” Lexi's voice jars me back to reality. I pull myself from my thoughts and open the rover door. A chill wind is blowing through the dark rows of two-storied buildings on either side of the road. The wind tugs at my loose hair and the skirts Lexi lent me earlier. Overhead, the sky is starless and utterly devoid of light.
“I'll be back in about thirty minutes,” I say to Lexi. “You pull around behind the hangar like we planned. Get everything ready to jump aboard as soon as I open the doors. I don't know how much time we have left.”
“Got it.” The door closes and Lexi zooms away, leaving a trail of silvery dust in her wake. I turn and descend a flight of steps into a tunnel that leads to the mine prison. I'm not really sure why they have prisons for the mines—it's not as if I pay much attention to Hecatian customs.
But I remember reciting the entire Code of Handmaidens when I was only five years old. Why did I pay so much attention to that at such a young age?
It doesn't matter now. I just need to get through the prison administration offices and into the hangar bay. The darkness lurking in the corners of the corridors makes it difficult to find my way around, but eventually I find the correct hallway to the hangar. Passing down this hallway, I notice a door marked: “Tramway Entrance”.
Tramway. It connects to the police-station where Buck is.
I hesitate, uncertain if I should take the risk of alerting the guard while trying to get to the station. I want to see Buck—maybe I can break him out (I doubt it). Still...if I could see him for just a few seconds—
My hand grasps the door handle and I swing it upon. A long, dimly-lit stairway stretches down before me, invites me to take the plunge into the unknown.
Plunk plunk go my footsteps down the stairs, one after another, like the rhythm of my beating heart. A cold draft pushing up the stairwell makes me shiver and pull my arms around myself. I'm wearing the typical Hecatian attire: the thin cotton skirt under a thicker jean skirt, the thin long-sleeved shirt with the collared shirt over it. Still, the layered clothes aren't enough to keep out the chill that spreads though me. The bruise on my back stretches even tighter as icy fingers creep up my sides.
I'm okay, I tell myself. Nothing but a minor feeling of discomfort. I can handle this.
When I reach the bottom of the stairs, I open the door and peer cautiously into a wide corridor with a single light bulb running along the ceiling. The corridor stretches in both directions for several hundred feet. On the left is a dead-end; on the right is the solitary guard Lexi warned me about.
He has his back to me as he faces the control booth for the tramway, which begins just a few feet from where I am. I note his thin body armor and single hand-gun in a holster at his side.
This will be easy enough. My hand reaches down to grasp the knife satchel.
There's nothing but empty air.
I left it behind! In the street when I was running away!
I close the door and slump against it, a heavy sigh in my throat. How could I have been so stupid? So short-sighted? I left my only real weapons above-ground in a city swarming with police who want to arrest me—or kill me. Now I'm weaponless and I never noticed it until now.
Buck would be so disappointed.
But he didn't teach me to fight only with knives—he taught me to use my head, to devise my own strategies and to use my own techniques.
Removing my outer shirt, I roll it into a long tube of cloth. Then I push the door open again and tiptoe up behind the unsuspecting guard.
With a flick of my wrists, I swing the tube up and over his eyes, tugging hard. He stumbles back with a startled cry as I grab hold of his hair, yank his head back, and slide my arm around his neck. There's a short struggle but a few seconds later I lay him flat on the floor. He's unconscious—I think. Using the shirt again, I bind his wrists tightly behind his back. Then I take his gun holster and sling it over my shoulder.
The temporary adrenaline rush from taking him down leaves me cold and shaky. I've killed people before, don't think I haven't, but this seems different somehow.
Never mind that. Get to the tramway. Get to Buck. Get out of here.
I step into the control booth and, in the dim half-light, examine the controls. They appear simple and straightforward for the most part, but that could be a problem. I've heard these systems are rigged to shock any unauthorized users. Don't ask me how they do it—all I know is that it's safer to hot-wire all the equipment I come across.
As I'm bending over the control panel, fiddling with wires, an eery feeling begins to creep up my spine. I whirl around and look up and down the tunnel. Nothing's there.
I can feel it. Something—coming. Is it...it can't be...
A thin, chilling moan echoes faintly off the stone walls. I freeze where I stand, icy tendrils of fear riveting my boots to the floor. The moan echoes once more, then again. Now it has a dark, almost demonic sound to it. Cold terror grips my heart.
It is...it really is...she's coming...
With a speed I didn't know I possessed, I start the tram and hurtle down the tunnel. The wind whistles in my face—a cold, unfriendly blast of stale air. I don't suppose they have anything like proper ventilation down here. But I don't spend much time pondering that.
If it's her...if she's coming...then the old ones are awakening again. But how? They've been dead for centuries. Why are they returning now?
It's a question I can't answer, one that haunts me for the entire tram ride. I almost miss the end of the tunnel looming up ahead of me. Just in time, I kill the accelerator so that the tram eases to a stop at the police station.
Two guards are standing watch, silhouetted in the stark light of a single light bulb. They stiffen at the sight of the tram and stalk toward it, their hands reaching for their side-arms.
Before their eyes adjust well enough to see me in the dark, I whip out my own pistol and shoot them both. To my surprise, the bullets drill little holes into their necks. Blood oozes out as their bodies hit the floor.
Weird. I thought it was a stun-gun. But it's too late now.
I step off the tram and kneel by one of the bodies, fumbling for his security-access card. Once I have it, I open the door leading up into the police-station proper. The stairs are almost identical to the ones at the silver-mine, and soon I'm peering into a brightly-lit hallway that stretches out on both sides of the door.
This is where the plan falls apart. I've been so busy thinking about seeing Buck, I forgot to count in the fact that I can't just wander through the police-station. My face is on wanted posters, after all! If I get caught, I'll have virtually turned myself in.
Then I notice the unnatural silence pervading the halls of the jail. Even at this time of night, there should be the occasional click-clack of shoes against the floor, the shuffling of tired janitors, the clearing of the night guard's throat, maybe a quiet comment or two from the secretary heading home late.
Yet there's none of that. Only silence. What does it mean?
This is making me feel vulnerable, like I don't know what's going on. (I don't) Something weird is happening.
An icy touch from behind startles me. I jump and whirl around at the same time, pushing the door open further and tumbling into the hallway where I land on my back. The doorway yawns dark and silent before me.
Nothing there. Yet I felt it! How can I...did I feel...her?
The question is too disturbing to let it linger long in my mind. Scrambling to my feet, I slam the door shut. The sound echoes hollowly throughout the hallway. I cringe—anyone within a hundred feet would have heard that. Yet why does it remain so quiet after the echoes die out?
When no one comes running, I venture down the hallway to the right and peek around the corner. Completely empty—no one in sight. There's a guard station kiosk a few feet away, so I walk over to it and use the dead guard's card to access information about newly-detained prisoners. Looks like Buck's holding cell isn't too far from here. I glance at the clock in the corner of the screen—just enough time to see him before I have to get back to the silver-mine prisons.
A few minutes later I thrust open the door to Cell-block D. There's no fear of anyone finding me—the place is completely deserted. Still, a cold shiver runs down my spine as I step up to Buck's cell. In the half-light, it's difficult to make out whether he's in there or not. I squint into the darkness, my hands hovering inches from the energy-laced bars.
“Elf?”
I hear the movement of him sitting up. A moment later he steps into the light, his eyes dark in his pale face. He's wearing a gray T-shirt and shorts—the prison uniform. My stomach twists as I notice the bruises and cuts on his exposed skin.
“Elf, what are you doing here?” he asks. “I told you to run!”
“I did.” I clench my hands into fists, wanting to clutch the cell bars but knowing I'll receive a painful jolt if I do. “I ran straight into a massacre.”
“I heard about it.” He's silent, his eyes roving around the cell. Maybe he's wondering where all the guards are and how I got in without being discovered.
My hoarse whisper breaks the silence. “Buck, they think I did it.”
His head jerks toward me, fear evident on his face. “Elf, what are you doing here? If they catch you, they'll kill you!”
“They tried already,” I reply with a flash of my usual anger. “I killed them instead. Don't you think I know how to take care of myself?”
“It's not about that.” Buck runs his fingers through his thick dark hair. “It's just that—the longer you stay here, the more chance they have of getting you. And if they do, they won't just kill you. They'll torture information out of you first.”
I stare at him, my eyes communicating my disbelief. “What for?”
“Whatever you were doing at Hendricks Moon Base.”
“That again?” I groan. “Why does everyone keep harping about that?”
Buck regards me gravely. “You're looking for portals. That draws attention.”
“No one at Hendricks knew that,” I argue.
“They also didn't know you'd be on Hecate Arrow. But they framed you for the massacre anyway,” he retorts. He begins pacing around his cell, his bare feet slapping harshly against the metal floor. “Look, Elf, you need to leave. You need to get as far from Hecate Arrow as possible.”
“What about you?” I ask. “I can't just leave you!”
“Forget about me.” He waves dismissively. “They'll let me out in a few days.”
“When you're dead,” I snap back.
Buck whirls and gives me a dark look. “I played dumb,” he says harshly. “It's not hard when I really have no idea what you've been up to. But seriously, Elf—get out of here while you still can. They've already set up a cordon around the planet. Leave—please.”
I'm silent. What's to say? If Buck had asked me to stay, I'd have done it no matter the consequences. But he's telling me to leave. I know he's just trying to keep me safe.
So why does it hurt so much to hear him plead?
“Where should I go?” I ask quietly.
“Vulcan Fire Five,” he replies immediately. “Get a ship. Get out of here. And don't come back.”
He looks me in the eye as he says that last sentence, and I can see that's killing him to tell me to leave. But he does it because he must. He is, after all, my bodyguard, though right now he's not doing a very good job of guarding me. He always has to keep my best interests in heart—even when it tears him apart to do so.
“Fine.” I step back from the cell. “I'm leaving.”
Then we both hear it—that faint, chilling moan that echoes up the hallway behind me. I whirl, my blood turning to ice in my veins. No, not her, not now!
“It's not possible.”
Buck's shocked voice echoes my thoughts. When I look at him, his green eyes are so wide with horror, they're like saucers trying to overtake his face.
The moans deepen in pitch, almost like a lion's growl. They seem to be getting closer to the cell-block.
Buck screams at me. “Go now! Get out!”
“What about you?” I scream back. No way am I leaving him in here with—her!
“I'll survive. Just go!” Buck reaches through the bars and pushes me away from him. His right arm touches the bar in the process and I hear the skin sizzle and crackle. The smell of burnt flesh fills the room.
“Go!” Buck yells at me, his face twisted in pain. Then he grimaces and grabs the wound with his left hand. Without another word, I turn on my heel and run.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

O.o Wow! I've been gone for a while, but catching up on your works has been wonderful Vixey!
We'll break my thoughts of this into two sections:

Elf Story:
I love the ever thickening plot! I especially like the new character you've thrown in ;) You're description of her is head on! I can't wait till Flabby comes into the picture!
Also, who is "her"??? You're killing me leaving it at such a suspenseful spot!

Tenni Story:
I've really enjoyed reading the beginning of the this story. Things are falling into place and making WAY more sense!
Just as an inconsequential note: I love that you made Tenni's hair red :D I love red hair!

Keep up the great work, Punzy! You are so gifted!
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

I too am wondering who the 'her' is. You are a master of suspense!
And I'm glad Elf found Buck, although it looks like they might get separated again....:( I wonder if they'll ever settle down and live happily ever after. It's not looking good at the moment. :)

Blitz
Moose Tracks

Finally some one who likes red hair. :D
Great story Helios.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Hey, I like red hair. :) I was always jealous of people who have it (but never brave enough to dye it red myself ;) )