The Labors of Liz - Writing

A place to discuss your own works. Whether they may be literary, visual art, or music pieces, this is the place to show off your stuff!
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

The Labors of Liz - Writing

Hey Everyone :D I just wanted to share a short story I've written. I posted it over in the Emily contest, but I know not everyone goes over there...

So here it is :) (p.s. I think it could also be considered fan fiction ;))
Change
By: Lexi

“Go to bed Andrew!”
“Alright Mom!” Andrew hollered down the hall.
Andrew stepped into his room and walked towards his bed. He pulled back his pillow and grabbed his neatly folded pajamas as he flipped on an Adventures in Odyssey episode.
As Andrew started to slip into his pjs, his ears zoned in on what was playing, “I hate this episode! Why are they always ruining Odyssey with stupid characters?!” He snarled as he yanked the blankets back and fell into bed.
Andrew leaned over to his nightstand, switching the episode to one he liked better. “Now that’s what I’m talking about,” he stated as he lay back into bed.
Andrew closed his eyes, still hearing the Odyssey playing, he slowly felt his brain relax.
Before he could fall into a peaceful sleep he jerked and opened his eyes. Instead of seeing his bedroom, he was saw a ‘50s style restaurant.
“Where am I?” Andrew asked himself as he gazed at a chrome and red cushion filled room.
“Whits End.” A deep monotone voice called.
“Huh?” Andrew looked around him and saw a girl about 12 years old sitting across the way in a little wrought iron chair. “Did you say ‘Whits End’? And who are you?”
“I did say Whits End. And I’m Emily Jones. Are you okay? You look confused.” The girl stated, her deep voice ringing.
“You can’t be serious!” Andrew gasped under his breath. He gazed around the room. It looked similar to what he had imagined. A long counter with red cushioned stools lining it, little round tables with wrought iron chairs around the room and booths lining the walls and windows.
“What did you say?” The girl inquired, slipping into the same booth as Andrew.
“Did you say your name was Emily?”
“Yes I did. Emily Jones.”
“You can’t be! Your voice is completely different!”
“What? I’m pretty sure I’ve always had this voice.”
“No you haven’t! And what about Matthew?!”
“What about him? He’s probably off doing his stupid little detective investigations. I prefer going to the mall myself, but-”
“You’re not a detective?!”
“Uh, no. I find that line of work silly and pointless. If you were smar- Wait! Where are you going?” Emily asked as Andrew stumbled out of the booth and ran towards the front door.
“This can’t be happening! It just can’t!” Andrew yelled from across the room.
As Andrew ran past the front counter, a young woman wearing a green sweater yelled after Andrew. “Are you okay young man?” Her voice resembled what one might picture a mouse to sound like.
Andrew paused in his escape. “Are you Connie?!”
“Yes.” Connie said in a confused tone.
“You can’t be! You sound nothing like Connie!” Andrew whined.
“I can assure you that I’m Connie. Just ask my husband.”
“Husband?! Don’t tell me you married Jason!” Andrew asked, flabbergasted.
“Jason? Whit’s son? Don’t you know he died in the Vietnam war? I’m married to Richard.”
“Jason’s dead?! And who is Richard?!”
“Richard. Richard Maxwell.”
“What? You married him?” Andrew rasped.
“Are you okay? Can I get you some water or something?” Connie asked, concern showing on her face.
“I just need some air.” Andrew muttered, stumbling towards the front door.
As he pushed open the front door, he could hear the familiar bell above the door ring.
“Well at least that’s the same.”
Andrew started to walk towards McAlister park. He stepped onto the pavement only to get knocked to the curb by a passerby on a bike.
“Hey! Watch it, kid!” Andrew yelled as he fell backwards.
“I’m so sorry! I didn’t see you there! Are you okay?” The boy asked, his squeaky voice penetrating Andrews ear drums. His brown hair neatly slicked back, and his thick glasses slipped down to the tip of his nose. One could obviously see that the boy was the nerdy type.
“It’s okay. I’m fine.” Andrew announced, standing up and wiping the dirt off his bum.
“The name’s Andrew.” Andrew said, holding his hand out to the young boy.
“I’m Jay.” Jay said, taking Andrews hand.
Andrew stood there momentarily with his mouth agape. “What did you say?”
“I said, ‘I’m Jay.’ Are you okay?”
“No, I’m not. I gotta go!” Andrew stumbled across the street, running into the woods of McAlister park.
“What’s wrong?!” Andrew yelled as he fell against a tree in the depth of the woods. “Everyone is completely different! Emily isn’t a detective, but a girly girl. Connie is married to Richard Maxwell! Jay is nice and a nerd! And everyone’s voice has changed! Am I dreaming?!”
“No, you aren’t” A female voice announced.
“Who said that?!” Andrew gasped, jumping up and looking around frantically.
“I did.” The female voice stated.
“Where are you? Show yourself!”
“You are sowing what you have reaped, Andrew.”
“What?!”
“For years, every Adventures in Odyssey album that has come out, you have whined how some character has changed or you don’t like the new characters. Instead of listening to the lessons, you have whined about unimportant details. So now you have received your wish. Everyone is different.”
Andrew fell back against a tree, head in hands.
“What have I done? Is there anything I can do to fix this?!” Andrew exclaimed looking up at the sky.
“Because of your attitude, you have ruined Odyssey for many people. Be content Andrew. We all change. Even Odyssey.”
“But can I fix what I’ve done?!”
“Be content.” Then the voice disappeared.
Andrew looked around him, and saw a girl with long black hair walking through the trees. “Hey!” He yelled, and ran up to the girl.
“Can I help you?” The girl asked, her mature voice sounding.
“Hi. I’m Andrew. Who are you?!” Andrew asked taking the girl by her shoulders.
“I’m Camilla.” She said, her concern showing. “Do you need something?” She said, shrugging Andrew’s hands off her shoulders.
Andrew closed his eyes for a moment. ‘Of all characters!’ he thought. Camilla was his least favorite.
“I just wanted to say…”
“Yes?” Camilla said, her eyebrow raising.
“I just wanted to say I like you… just the way you are.”
“Um… Thank you?”
“You’re welcome. Bye!” Andrew declared as he turned away.
“Strange boy.” Camilla muttered under her breath.
Andrew broke into a run as he made his way back to Whits End. “I must make things right!”
Andrew ran across the street, yelling the whole way “I like you just the way you are!”
Andrew ran up the steps of Whits End and burst through the door. All heads turned towards Andrew. He panted for a moment, trying to catch his breath.
“Andrew?” Emily asked, her dirty blonde hair bobbing.
“I just wanted to say- I like you just the way you are! All of you!”
The floor broke from underneath Andrew, and he started to fall.
Andrew jerked and sat up in bed. He looked around him, noticing the clock reading 1am.
“Wow, what a dream!”
Andrew laid back down in bed resting his head on his pillow. On his nightstand, an Adventures in Odyssey still played.
“This is a- a Twilife Zone episode!” Andrew gasped, sitting up quickly, he flicked the adventure off and lay back down.
“Note to self: Never put a Twilife Zone episode on before bed.” Andrew muttered as he flipped over in bed and fell asleep.

The End.
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

In a word: Amazing.

Ok...maybe more than one word, I am a huge fan of anything written (books, poems, short stories) but it takes a LOT to get me into something. Liz, your story was great! After reading the first two lines I just had to drop everything and concentrate. It was a wonderful idea, and was masterfully written! Excellent job!
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Ahhh! Thank you so much Renau! That is so sweet! I'm si glad to hear that is was captivating :) That has been a big focus in the writing book I've done over the school year... So that makes me really happy! Thank you!
Renae
Fudge Marble

Your quite welcome Lizzy (: You have the makings of an amazing author :D
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

To all who read my labors:
I would just like to announce that I have a short story in the works. I'm still working out a few kinks, but it's almost finished! I'll probably release it in two parts, because it's a bit longer than my last one.
Thank you!
Lexi
Renae
Fudge Marble

YES!! *does happy dance and then sits at Lizzy's feet until she finishes the next story*
Is it dooone yet?!?! ;)
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Liz'alike wrote:To all who read my labors:
I would just like to announce that I have a short story in the works. I'm still working out a few kinks, but it's almost finished! I'll probably release it in two parts, because it's a bit longer than my last one.
Thank you!
Lexi
Nice! Can't wait to read it! :D
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Hero
Written by: Lexi
Edited by: Humby
April-May, 2013

John sat back from his desk and ran his hand over his military hair cut. He looked down and reviewed the letter he had just written.

Dearest Laura,
November, 1944
I’m writing to you with urgent news that probably should’ve been delivered to you a couple months ago. I just didn’t know how to tell you. This is my best effort at reiterating my experiences…

Two months earlier:

How had things turned so bad so quickly? Sergeant John Hanover and his small squad of men had been searching a small Philippine island for any inhabitants. That's when they had been attacked by a few Japanese scouts.
Not long after taking out the Japanese scouts they heard the distinct stomp of boots in the distance.
John now crouched with his men behind a military jeep that was partially hidden in the tropical foliage.
“What are your orders, sergeant,” asked a quaking voice.
John looked to his left at Private Ronald Hodges. He gazed into his friend’s hazel eyes and saw the fear shining out. John looked around him at all his men. The same fear leapt from each pair of eyes.
“Not till they’re a little closer, soldier,” John said, looking back at Ronald with a half smile.
“I can’t stop shaking, John.”
“I know, Ron… I know.”
Silence hit them. The sound of their enemies’ marching troop halted.
“Sir?” A quivering voiced called from behind.
“Alright men, it’s time! Take up arms!” John yelled just as a grenade exploded 500 yards away instantly sending shrapnel through the air.
“Get down!” John yelled, shoving Ron’s body below him.
John looked up, seeing a large palm tree crash to the ground.
As the tropical scene exploded John noticed something. Ten yards from where John and his men were taking refuge behind the jeep, a young girl stood in the midst of an array of tropical flowers, tears falling down her smudged face.
“They’re getting closer, sir,” one of his men yelled. “Do we open fire?”
John leapt up, running towards the young girl. “Wait there!” John called back over his shoulder.
“Sergeant, get down, they’re shooting!” Ron cried out.
Another bomb went off 300 yards away. John threw up his arm to block his face from any debris. Ten yards seemed like a mile with the island seeming to fall apart around him. He was almost there!
He swooped up the girl and shielded her body from the grenades exploding all around. He turned back towards his men.
Time seemed to slow as John ran back. He could feel the heart beat of the young girl cradled against his chest. His heartbeat rang with hers. Thump, thump. Thump, thump.
John flew forwards as a grenade went off behind him, his arms wrapped tightly around the child as they crashed to the ground. The only thing he felt was their heart beats intertwined. Thump, thump. Thump, thump.
Dazed, he stumbled to his knees. Thump, thump.
“GOD,” he screamed, “HELP ME!” He staggered forward, numb from anything but the steady thump, thumping of his heart mixed with the child’s in his arms.
He heard a muted cry off ahead of him. “John!” His mind felt so far away. He could feel his body stumbling, but all he knew was that he had to keep moving.
John fell into his mens’ arms, feeling someone take the child from his embrace.
“Save the girl,” John gasped as the world started to turn black.
“We’ve got her Sir. Stay with us! Stay awake, serg-”

I flashed in and out of consciousness. I vaguely remember the sound of my men shooting then all sounds ceasing. Ron was talking to me as they put me on a stretcher.
I really don’t remember much beyond that. Not until I woke up that is-

Johns eyes fluttered open, his vision distorted.
“Ugh. Where am I?” John slurred, his world slowly spinning around him.
“He’s awake, Doctor,” someone with a heavy French accent announced.
John could hear the faint sound of footsteps coming towards him, “Hello there, Sergeant. You’re in a military hospital, to answer your question.”
Johns eyes slowly focused on the man who was talking to him. He was an older man, grey starting to brush his temples. He sat down in a chair beside John's bed.
“Who are you?” John muttered, blinking his eyes hard in the effort to keep his focus.
“The name’s Dr. Randal. I’m the one who took care of you when your men brought you in. Quite a story they told me. From what I heard, you're a hero, sergeant.”
“A hero? What are you talking about?”
“You risked your life to save a young child, John.” A concerned look spread across the doctor’s face.
John closed his eyes, trying to remember. Then memories started flooding in, his nightmarish escapade, slowly coming back to life in his mind. “How is she?”
“She’s fine, son, just fine. Last I heard they were trying to locate her family.” John could hear relief in the doctor’s voice.
“That’s good,” John groaned as he tried to sit up in bed.
“Whoa now! You better lie still, young man. You’ve been through a lot of trauma.”
John winced, feeling a sharp pain ripple through his body. He settled back down on his pillow, gasping from the effort. “Level with me, Doc. How am I?”
Dr. Randal ran his fingers through his hair, and looked up at the ceiling. “Well, Sergeant… I have good news and bad news.”
“Doctor, I said level with me.”
“Bad news is shrapnel hit your leg, son. I did every thing I could, but when the infection set in… I had to take it.”
John squeezed his eyes shut, clenching his fist. “My leg?”
“I’m so sorry. I did everything I could.” The doctor gazed on his patient with compassion. “Good news, son, is that you’re going to be just fine. It’s really a miracle that you’re even awake and comprehensive.”
John opened his eyes, looking the Doctor straight in the face, “Thank’s for saving me, Doc. I’m much obliged.” John turned his head, feeling his world grow dim.

My world seemed to collapse around me when the Doctor uttered those words. My leg is gone. I guess I should be thanking God that it wasn’t both of my legs. Or even my life.
The days dragged by. I read a lot from a Bible they gave me.
But I thought of you more than anything else. I tried so many times to write you, but it always seemed in vain. I would start, then be unsure what to say. So much has changed. How could I break this horrible news to you?
But out of all of this, Laura, I do have some good news. The doctor says I am well enough to travel. I ship off for America next week. I hope this letter gets to you before I return home. I would hate for you to see me without being warned.
I close this letter with much love, darling. I can hardly wait until I can hold you in my arms once more.
Your husband,
John

John sat back from the small desk, closing his eyes. He only hoped Laura would take the news well. He couldn’t help but dread the thought of seeing her. What if she didn’t love him anymore? What if she couldn’t take the sight of his pant leg pinned up at his knee? The ‘what ifs’ taunted him. He would just have to wait and see what happened.
To be continued...
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I'm really to impatient a person to wait a while to put up the second half... So here it is ;)
John stepped off the train, a crutch under one arm. This was his stop. He looked around, hoping there might be some chance his wife was standing there waiting for him.
He looked on as he saw a young man step off the train one car down. He too had paused, searching the many anxious faces in the crowd. John noticed his face light up as he lunged forward towards a young woman trying to push her way through the crowd of people. John watched as the young man wrapped his arm- one arm? John gasped as he realized that this soldier had also lost a limb. Yet the young woman didn’t even seem to notice. She just continued hugging him, showering his face with kisses.
John once again turned his face towards the crowd of people, just hoping that Laura would be waiting for him.
She wasn’t there.
John pushed his way through the crowd and started down the familiar streets, walking towards the little cottage he had purchased for himself and his wife shortly before he was deployed.
When he reached the cottage he stood there, transfixed. Its white siding, partially covered in ivy, was chipping in spots. The small front porch held a little white swing that he and Laura had spent many an evening sitting in.
John hopped down the slate path and struggled up the stairway to the front porch. He paused at the door, taking a deep breath to calm his excitement. He was finally here.
Grasping the door handle firmly, he slowly turned it.
He stepped into their small living room. The old and mismatched furniture made him feel instantly at home. To his right was a little kitchen with a small round breakfast table sitting in the farthest corner. He imagined his wife sitting there morning after morning drinking her coffee.
He walked through the living room, past their circular wrought iron stairs that led up to the two loft bedrooms upstairs. He made his way through the house, all the while silently seeking out his wife. He slipped down a short hall and walked towards the back door.
Upon reaching his destination he peeked out the window. There stood his wife, diligently taking down the laundry from the clothes line. Her brunette hair blew into her face from a slight breeze and she gently brushed it aside.
John stood there, hypnotized by her beauty. He had always wondered how he had managed to find someone so perfect as Laura. Yet this is who God had blessed him with. He had always been thankful for that.
Laura pulled the last item off the line then bent down to pick up her basket. As she turned towards the house John backed away from the door. He struggled back down the small hall, slipping into a small coat closet, wanting to surprise his wife.
John could hear the back door open, then saw his wife breeze past his cramped hiding place. He slowly opened the closet door, careful not to let it or his crutch make any noise. He saw the bottom of his wife’s legs whisk up the last few steps of the stairs to the loft.
John quietly went into the kitchen, took off his hat and sat at their small table. He quickly became impatient and stood up, slowly moving back into the living room. “What is she doing up there?” He mumbled, anxious to see her.
John sat down on one of the couches, gazing at the large picture on the wall. It was of him and Laura on their wedding day. He stood there in full uniform with his arm around Laura’s waist, a slight smile on his face. Laura stood beside him, grinning, her white veil pulled back from her face and her wedding dress trailing around her and John’s feet. It had been a beautiful day. Everything had been perfect. They had kept the ceremony small, only close family and friends. They had wanted it to be intimate and special.
A small cry sounded, pulling John out of his momentary trance. John looked across the room at the small love seat and noticed a bundle of sheets. “What in the world?” John murmured under his breath as he stood and made his way across the room.
There laying with a wall of sheets around it was a small baby. John sat beside the bundle, laying down his crutch and picked up the baby. “What do we have here? Is Laura baby sitting you?” John remembered all the years he and Laura had grown up and how she always had managed to have someone’s baby in with her.
The baby’s bright blue eyes stared back up at him. Dark brown fuzz adorned its small delicate head. John sat there and rocked and cooed the baby until it fell back into its peaceful slumber.
John could hear Laura’s foot steps above his head, so he carefully laid the babe back on its makeshift bed and headed as quick as he could back into the kitchen.
Sitting at the small kitchen table, John could see his wife descend down the stairs. She didn’t seem to notice him. She reached the bottom of the stairs and started to turn towards the baby on the small couch, but paused in mid step. She gasped, then jerked towards John.
“John? John!” She cried and flew towards him. He started to stand, but was too slow. She flew into him, knocking him back into his chair. “How long have you been here?!” She cried, quickly dragging a kitchen chair right beside him.
Wrapping his arms around his wife and pulling her into his embrace, “Since you were taking down the laundry. I wanted to surprise you.” He grinned.
“You’ve been here this whole time? And you didn’t let me know? John Hanover, I could just smother you right now!” She declared, a fake pout appearing on her face.
“I hope with kisses,” John said, a grin continuing to spread across his face.
“Don’t make me slap you!” But quickly she leaned her head up and gently kissed his lips. Her hand brushed the edge of where his leg should have been and she pulled away, looking down.
John blushed and looked away.
“Ron- your friend- wrote me. He told me what happened,” she said, laying her hand on the side of his face and drew his eyes back towards her own. “It was hard to handle the news at first. It really shook me up.”
“I’m sorry, Laura. I really am.” John started to cry.
“Oh, honey.” Laura wrapped her arms around him, crying too. “You know something? I moped around the house at first, feeling sorry for myself. Then I thought ‘What if he hadn’t saved that child? What if he had let her die?’ It was then that I realized what a wonderful man I had married.”
“But our lives will never be the same. I’ll never be normal again. We’ll never be normal again.”
“What’s normal with a couple of quacks like us?” She laughed through the tears.
“That’s true.” John laughed too, then grew serious again. “It was really hard when the doctor told me the news. It took every ounce of my being not to blame God for this.” He gestured towards his stump. “Laying there day after day waiting for my body to heal… There was this constant urge to just scream with rage. I would read the Bible they had given to me, but it never seemed to help.” Laura continued to look up at him, her topaz eyes gleaming with tears. “Then one day I stumbled over that verse in John- the one about laying down your life-”
Laura grinned. “‘Greater love has no one than this: than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.’ I found that verse too.”
“Really?” John asked as Laura nodded. “God surely does have a hand in this, doesn't He?” John stated, truly amazed.
Just then the baby from the living room cried out. “Oh, Lili! I forgot all about you!” Laura cried, jumping up and running into the living room.
John stood too, slowly hopping over to the door frame and leaning against it. Laura had picked up the child and was cradling it in her arms, looking down at her and cooing softly.
“Who’s is she?” John asked nonchalantly.
Laura looked up at him seriously. “Whose do you think?”
“My guess would be a neighbor’s kid.” John said, playing on her sarcasm.
She continued to stare at him with a straight face, then looked down at the baby in her arms and started to laugh. “She’s ours.”
John choked, then stumbled towards the couch. “Ours?” He gasped.
Laura grinned as she walked over to the couch and placed the baby in his arm. “Yes, Sergeant Hanover. May I say something, sir?” She asked playfully as she sat beside him.
“Permission granted.” John muttered as he stared down at the blue-eyed baby with new wonder.
“I tried to write you several times once I found out I was pregnant, but all my letters were returned.”
“I wish I had known.” John looked up from the baby, and into Laura’s eyes. “Did you get my letter?”
“What letter?” Just then the mail slot on the door flicked open and a letter slipped through. Laura stood up and walked over and picked up the letter. “Look what we have here!” She held up the letter John had sent her several weeks ago. They both laughed.
John once again looked down at the baby in his arms. She yawned, opening her tiny little mouth extra wide and fidgeted with her arms. “You called her Lili. Why that name?” John asked.
“Actually her full name is Jalili. After the girl you saved.”
“Jalili? How do you know her name?”
Laura stared at him with confusion. “You never talked to Ron, did you?” A look of realization spread across her face,“You were still delirious when he left.”
“He could have at least written me.”
“No, he couldn’t, John,” she sighed. “I received news right after I got his letter that he’d been killed in action.”
“Ron? Are you sure?” John asked, his body stiffening from the news.
“I’m sure. I’m so sorry.” She sighed as she put an arm around his shoulder.
John sighed, relaxing his shoulders. “It’s okay.” He wiped his face free of the few tears that had fallen with his free arm. “He was a Christian. I know I’ll see him again... someday.” John looked away from his wife and back down at Lili. “Thank you for naming her that.”
Laura smiled softly, then looked down at baby Lili also. “There wasn’t any other name that I would’ve picked.”
John smiled, turned his head and gently kissed his wife. She placed a hand on his face and pulled away slowly. With a smile she said, “I can’t wait until she’s old enough to tell the amazing story about her daddy. A true hero.”
The End
Thoughts? Opinions? Critics?
I'm still pretty new at this, so don't feel bad if it wasn't that great (I would actually appreciate the critical opinion.) I want to grow in my writing... And I can only grow if you tell me what I did wrong ;)
BTW, thank you if you took the time to read that!
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

That was a awesome story, Lexi!!!
LOTR IS AWESOME
Ameraka
Fudge Marble

Wow, what a great story! Your description is vivid; I can see what's happening, the description of John's thoughts and reactions makes you really sympathize with John's character.

My book, Justice Lost, is on Amazon Kindle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM1XFCI
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Really?? Thanks :)
And I'm glad... I was afraid that it wasn't... (we're our worst critics ;) lol)

@Oliver: Thanks :D
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

you should write more stories for us to read, Lexi.
LOTR IS AWESOME
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I definitely will, Oliver :D
Unfortunately it will have to be after this summer :?...
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

Ok well I can't wait to read them when you do write them. :)
LOTR IS AWESOME
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Thanks Renau and Oliver :D
I'll try as hard as I can to write them! haha
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Nice job with the stories, Liz!
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
susan12
Vanilla

Hi, I am susan and your story is really great!! Actually my brother name is Andrew and your is relating to him lol. He Literally fell from bed last weekend! lol