What kind of clothes do you wear to church?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

What type of clothes do you typically wear?

Formal
25%
Casual
24%
Moderate (somewhere in between)
42%
Other (please specify)
9%

Total votes: 67

Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

What kind of clothes do you wear to church?

For once, I do not have a really long post that scares people away. ;)

What do you wear, what does your church wear, and what denomination is you church?

Just one note: Please be respectful of everyone's choice regarding dress. We are normally pretty good at this, it's just a reminder to be courteous in the way we communicate with one another.

I am somewhere in between. I help with the preschoolers Sunday class, so I don't wear the most formal clothes. My church is generally on the formal side, with around a fourth of the congregation dressing fairly casually. I belong to a conservative Nondenominational church.

P.S. If someone can come up with a category of clothing that they want in the poll, I would be more than happy to put it in.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

At my church people either dress up or just wear jeans and a nice shirt, it just depends on what they want to wear. Our church does not have a denomination either.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

At my church it's up to the Family. I personally dress more up. I might wear a graphic tee but always skirts or a long dress. That's what my dad likes me to wear so I do it.
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I wear something dressy. I'm a Bible Methodist. On Wednesday its casual really. Like a jean skirt and shirt.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

Usually short shorts and a bikini. I occasionally throw a tie on too if I want to look more "formal".
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Okay. The tie automatically makes it formal.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

I a long dress, or maybe a skirt and top. on Wednesday i go to an Awana club, so i just wear jeans or maybe shorts, and a top. Awana is casual.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

I dress up. Church is God's house, and God is there(Present in the Eucharist). If you were going to meet the President you wouldn't wear your jogging clothes. Should you not look your best then to meet God?
~ Walker in Dreams
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Well, I'd disagree with the Eucharist, but that's a difference in doctrine. I'd agree with trying to look our best, but then again Christ associated with the lowest of society, and He didn't care about the outside appearance.
Kaida
Fudge Marble

Jeans, shirt, sneakers

Occasionally, I'll put on a dressy shirt, jeans, and cute shoes..
Isaiah 40:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

I just thought that I'd post more.

I also wear dresses sometimes, but my sis and I never wear just a t-shirt.

I love it when guys wear a nice button-down shirt to church! ;)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I am usually pretty casual when I go to church. Jeans, nice blouse, and all the accessories that go with that ;) Though, I will wear skirts and such (if I am feeling especially girly ;))
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

T.S. (myself) wrote:Well, I'd disagree with the Eucharist, but that's a difference in doctrine. I'd agree with trying to look our best, but then again Christ associated with the lowest of society, and He didn't care about the outside appearance.
Yes, Christ associated with the lowest of society and all. But we aren't lower society. Since we can dress up we should. I repeat my example, If you were going to visit where Queen Elizabeth lives you would dress nice. However this only works if you believe God is present in church. Since you guy celebrate with a cracker while we celebrate with God (Not to sound offensive.), I don't think we can agree on this. So I'll stop talking.
Thing is I'd like to convert you all. I believe in Roman Catholicism because I believe it's true. I don't believe it's true for me, I believe it's true period, the same way I believe the sky is blue and two plus two equals four.
Here is one of ma favorite quotations.
Tarian: Suppose it does. Then, since we disagree about that issue, let us agree to differ, but let us not impose our values on each other.
Socrates: That is another of your favorite clichés that I have never been able to comprehend. Surely you do not mean that we should not try to convince each other of the truth of our beliefs?
Tarian: Why couldn’t I mean just that? I don’t like proselytism.
Socrates: If we honestly believe what we say is true, why should we deprive each other of this great good?
~The Unaborted Socrates
By Peter Kreeft

So I'd like to convert you because it's true, and Truth is surely good. Trouble is, talking to someone who also believes what they believe is true, it's like one person arguing that the sky is orange, and the other arguing that it's blue. It seems simple and true to each but only one will be right. The way I see it a Protestant would be arguing that the sky is purple, they have some of the truth but not all.
When I write anything it should be assumed I am not trying to insult anybody and that trying to inform others of anything for their good.
~ Walker in Dreams
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Again, we differ. I would argue that we through the partaking of Communion, we do not elevate the cracker and juice, we elevate the what it represents, and remember as we were instructed to do.

However, I would look at some of the doctrines of the Catholic Church, and could say the exact same things (seeking truth) toward your beliefs, namely transubstination and the purity of Mary.

I will say now that this is a very muddled topic for me with my relatives. There's still some pain in this for me, and try as I might, I will always look at the Catholic church subjectively. I simply wanted to warn you of this in case I say something that comes across in a wrong way.,

Thank you very much for the quote. It applies quite well for today's society. I have heard it paraphrased, but this is the first time I have actually seen it.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Okay, I don't want to argue with you about this Arkán , but... If you are going to look at it from that perspective, then should you not always 'dress' as if you are in the presence of God? As Christians, Christ (God) lives in us (Gal 2:20). We are His 'temple' (1 Cor 3:16)! We, as Christians, are the church (1 Cor 12:27)! So, I'm not saying that you should or shouldn't get 'dressed up' for church, by no means am I saying that! All I am trying to say is that, I think we as Christians should be more worried about our character and how we can be an example to all who see us, not necessarily by what we wear when we go to church. We should focus more on our day to day lives, not just how we 'look' or 'act' on our day of worship.
So, where as I don't wholly disagree with you Arkán, I do to a certain extent. But, maybe I'm wrong! If you can give me accurate, biblical proof... maybe I will agree with you! :D I don't know how everyone else see's this, but that's the way I see it :)...
Okay, I'm done!!! lol Back to topic... ;)
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

I definitely see Arkan's point of view. Yes, Liz, it is MUCH MUCH more important to worry about our character, but I think that "dressing up" when we go to God's house is a great way to show Him that we respect Him enough to take care of both our inward and outward appearance. You also mentioned that we are His temple, and that is also a very good point. Christ IS living in us, just as He would "live" in the tabernacle of the Israelites and later in their temple. But did not God give specific instructions as to how the tabernacle would be arranged and the "outside appearance" of this structure? This, to me, is a BIG sign that we also have a specific way in which we should dress. And that our outward appearance (thought definitely NOT as important as the inward) does play a big role in what we tell the world about us as Christians. As well, Solomon's temple and the later temple was constructed after a systematic plan given to them in order to show others that this place would be a place where God would be honored. In the same way.. we should give a certain message through the way we dress. Anyway... this is my point of view.
Though I agree with Arkan, I am in no way a Roman Catholic, actually I make part of a Fundamentalist Conservative Baptist Church. The way I dress at church is very formal. I wear a skirt and a shirt but the rules go further. No writing on my shirts and they must have sleeves, skirts must be below the knee. No sheere, or skin colored clothing is permitted. Married women must wear a headband. Boys must have their hats OFF at all times. This is what we believe, i'm certaintly hoping that no one believes I am imposing this on you. :)
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

"Fundamentalist Conservative Baptist"? How do you agree with yourself?
~ Walker in Dreams
Renae
Fudge Marble

what????? lol

fundamentalist- "Fundamentalism is the demand for a strict adherence to specific theological doctrines which defined those tenets it considered fundamental to Christian belief"

conservative- "Conservatism is a political and social philosophy that promotes retaining traditional social institutions." (in our church though it refers more to dressing modestly and with propriety)

Baptist- there is no actual definition since there are so many things that define Baptists, but I think you allready know what they are and what they basically believe

so clarify to me what you meant by the "How do you agree with yourself?" lol :)
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

Just a joke. :D
~ Walker in Dreams
Renae
Fudge Marble

aaaahhh... interesting joke :)