What kind of clothes do you wear to church?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

What type of clothes do you typically wear?

Formal
25%
Casual
24%
Moderate (somewhere in between)
42%
Other (please specify)
9%

Total votes: 67

Victoria
Strawberry

Basically the same as Kaida..
Nice shirt, jeans, sneakers. sometimes a dress or skirt with flats, if I'm in the mood.. its pretty laid back.
"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power." Ephesians 6:10 <3

My best friend and I have a blog, check it out! http://bestieswithablog.blogspot.com/
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

@ Renae
I totally understand your point Renae! And I do agree that we should respect God when we go to worship Him. But, we are also no longer under the old covenant. We are new in Christ, and He is our new covenant (Luke 22:20). So where I agree that it is a good thing to where nice clothes to church, I don't think it has to be done a 'certain way'. If you and the body of believers you worship with want to make that a focus, praise God! But not every church is there yet. I know that a lot of churches are reaching a bigger crowd (the world), so they don't 'dress up', wanting everyone to feel welcome.
Though, to put your mind at ease (lol), I do wear my nicest clothes to church. I don't own a lot of skirts or dresses, but I do the best I can with what I have. I am not a naturally formal person, so I can still be pretty casual.
SparkyHappyGiraffe
Fudge Marble

I wear jeans and a nice shirt. Rarely do I wear a skirt and I only own one dress. And i don't think you have to wear the most fanciest things you own. I'd personlly feel snudy if I wore something extreamly fancy. Everyone in our church does not dress very fancy. My dad (The pastor) wears a polo shirt, nice pants, and fancy shoes. (Occasionally he wears tennis shoes, but I think it looks kinda out of place when he does that)
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

@ Liz
I'm glad you understand my point. I definitely don't think that we are still under the old covenant, and I would kindly ask that you explain what God's covenant has to do with the way we dress in church?
I still hold my view, but I do understand what you mean by welcoming people into your church, I also don't think that this should stop you from showing God respect to your fullest. If anything, you would be a great example for these new comers by the way you dress. (: sometimes, in their effort to reach the world (as you say), churches lose focus of God and respecting Him as they try to make the world feel more comfortable... this can lead to music that resembles more of the world and as well dressing to compromise with the world. I'm not saying your church does this, but for some churches this is what it might lead to.
Again this is my opinion and I want you to know that I greatly respect you for the one you uphold. (:
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

I guess I didn't really mean to say the 'covenant', but more about the requirements that God had for His people under the old covenant. For example, God had requirement after requirement for His temple, because that was where His presence was. So He required complete respect from all... But what I was trying to say, was that since we are no longer held to those things under the new covenant, we don't 'have' to do them.
Though, on the other hand, if God required His people to do it them, why would we not also want to do it to please Him now?? So, I do agree with you, we should hold God in the utmost respect.
But I guess that manifests for everyone differently. For me, it is so important that my day to day example be more reflective than just when I go to church on Sunday. (Not saying that you don't, I am just saying this for myself.) Whether that is in the area's of modesty, purity, kindness, loving others... ect.
And I also agree with you about the mega church thing. I don't personally go to a mega church, but I have visited them. I don't believe in exchanging money in the church (such as coffee bars, bookstores, ect). I don't like their really loud music (though, that is just a preference...)
I also want to state, that this is my opinion. I also respect what others believe in this area. Everyone is going to have different thoughts about stuff like this. Everyone is raised differently, and I respect that. All that really matters in the long run, is that everyone lives by the convictions that God has given them.
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

ok, now I understand, and yes God did give us a new covenant, but like in the passage of Mathew 5:17 and on,( http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?se ... ersion=NIV ) , it says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets", I believe that even though we are under a new covenent , we should not COMPLETELY disregard the other (not that you are doing this... just read the passage for clarification (: ) And yes I completely agree that we should not be a different person on sunday than on the rest of the days of the week, I just think that the day we go to the house of God is a sacred and holy one.
I TOTALLY AGREE!!!!! (about the loud music, lol) I'm so glad i have finally found a person who has the same thoughts as I do on this subject!!!!! lol (: (:
And lastly, I to think that if the Bible is unclear on a certain subject and your conscience tells you something is wrong or something is right, than follow the convictions that God has placed in your heart. (:
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

Guys, i am only 10, so for now, I have to wear what my parents want me to wear for church, but I wear either a nice dress, or a nice skirt and top. I am wesleyan
Last edited by GabrielleFandomGirl on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Mara
Pistachio

I am also Roman Catholic, so we dress formally. But, a lot of people at our church dress casually (especially during football season. everyone wears their Bronco gear :D ) My family always dresses up. On weekdays, at daily mass (we go twice a week) we wear casual clothes.
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

I am an Independent Fundamental Baptist, and wear at least a collared shirt, tie, and dress pants every Sunday service. Wednesday is somewhat more casual, as we do soul winning before the service, so then my wardrobe consists of collared shirt and jeans or dress pants. If I can, on Sundays I will wear a suit. Most of the people in our church dress nicely, though not always "formal". You can dress nice and not be in a suit or ball gown.

Now, some women in our church wear pants, but those are ones that haven't been in church for a long time, but they're good people that love God.
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
NarniaQA Guy
Cookies & Creme

For me I dress nicer than the rest of the week for Sunday, but for Wednesday I dress casual. I think as far as the main argument concerns, what does it matter what you ware? I mean, clothes are material things, when you start saying that you should dress good because its Gods house, why? I mean, when we get concerned about the small stuff, isn't that pushing God away a little? It shouldn't matter if you go into the church with manure on your shoes, because if your heart is in it for God, who cares?
Owned by Audrey, My love. <3 baecon is amazing.
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Black jeans and black shirt, w/black jacket.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

My family currently goes to a Baptist church, but we are pretty much Nondenominational. I always wear some of my best clothes to church, either a dress, a skirt, or a very nice shirt and pants. At our church, there's kind of a mixture of casual and formal, partially because at least a few of the people there have farms or ranches. But I haven't noticed anyone with old, or extremely casual clothes. I think that it is important to respect God and not wear dirty, or extremely casual clothes, but I don't think that everyone has to wear a suit and tie, or a dress. And of course, character and how you act are much more important than dress.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
jennakyler321
Cookies & Creme

Anything that's not immodest really
That's why I love my church
Jen
Gods love is like a warm cup of coffee you can't get enough
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

I wear Skinny Jeans, and a swag button up shirt, and best of all......VANS!! :P . I'm so old fashion.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

We home church... so... anything comfy! From basket ball shorts to comfy jeans... PJ shirt to button up.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

what I wear to church:
an unbuttoned button-up shirt
over a
t-shirt
with
jeans,
hair gel,
running shoes,
and a watch
NinjaThrowingStar
Raspberry Ripple

It really depends, sometimes I just wear a black skirt and t-shirt with my Vans 8) (Vans rock by the way.) Or sometimes I wear more classy dress and high heels. Just depends... Like one time I wore a 20s black dress, hat, and gloves... 8) or a clown wig... Good times!!! It really depends for me because of we have like PJ night at awana then I'm going to wear PJ's.
What is forever..? I shall see you again. Just after the mist has faded and time has stopped, over on the other side. Enjoy your journey and I'll enjoy mine.
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

i wear clothing
LOTR IS AWESOME
arwen
Caramel Crunch

I wear skinny jeans and and a shirt (duh)
and my boots or my shoes the look like converse (they're fakes)
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Well, in the US, I wear nice pants or a nice skirt, and a nicer shirt (usually a peasant blouse or something like that) But here, it's like a home church, so nicer jeans or jean shorts and a casual shirt. It's pretty laid back :D