Methodist QA

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

John Henry wrote:Not braiding it. Curling as in purming.
I believe you mean Perming, which is permanently curling your hair, but there are many many ways to curl your hair without chemicals, and even some without using heat, like a curling iron.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

John Henry wrote:Not braiding it. Curling as in purming.

I don't think it's wrong. Perms come out. But they can be harmful to your hair so I personally won't get one. My hairs to long haha
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So you believe that once someone believes and accepts Jesus into their heart they don't sin again?

Makes sense to me, I don't know any Christians; Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox who would disagree with your statement about only Jesus saving you.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So you believe that once someone believes and accepts Jesus into their heart they don't sin again?

Makes sense to me, I don't know any Christians; Protestant, Catholic, or Orthodox who would disagree with your statement about only Jesus saving you.
No, you're going to mess up. You're not proclaimed perfect when you get saved. Only Jesus was spotless. You'll sin again, not that you want to, but because you're human.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Would you say there are denominations of Christianity that say works are what save you?

Can you expand on the idea of your belief in the Bible's authority over us? In what ways is that belief different than other denominations?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

If you can sin again, how can you be forgiven for that? Do you have "get saved" again?

Do you believe in Sola Scriptura? And if you do where is it supported in the Bible?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

11th- Yeah, there is. The Mormons believe works get you to Heaven.

The Bible has major authority over us! It's God's letter to us. We have to obey it and follow it. & Jehovah Witnesses don't believe in some things about the Bible. There's different people that don't believe some of the things in it.

Jehoshaphat- When you get saved you strive to serve God and be like Him. But since we're not perfect, you're going to slip and mess up. In scripture it talks about God will be there when you fall. You're not
"unsaved", but you need to ask God to forgive you and help you. Unless, of course, you back slide and keep sinning and don't repent then there's a problem.

Sola Scriptura is where you believe everything for Salvation is in the Bible. It is. Why wouldn't God include it? He gave us the Bible to tell us how to be saved. God inspired people to write the Bible. It doesn't make sense that He'd leave you guessing and making things up for Salvation.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Your explanation about the Bible's authority over us made a lot of sense and cleared up some confusion I had, thank you.

I think Jehoshaphat is asking where specifically in the Bible it lays out the doctrine of Sola Scriptura. Neither of our traditions are Sola Scriptura and we're not left guessing or making things up without Sola Scriptura.

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Gotcha. :) The Bible says scripture is God-breathed. God told people what to write down for the Bible.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So was there any involvement of the writers beside being instruments of God?

Also how was it decided which books had been inspired by God?

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

What do you mean?

& Do you mean that some books aren't inspired by God?
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

The Doctor is asking if the writers played any important part besides being the instrument of God.

And yes not all books are inspired by God. Only the books in the Bible are divinely inspired she is asking who gets to decide which ones are.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Yeah, they were God's messengers and told His gospel.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The other part of my question was who decided which books were inspired by God? I mean the Bible as we have it now didn't drop out of the sky one day.

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

God did. Over time the Bible was put together.
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

WHo was the Bible put together by? I mean who got to decide the canon of scripture?
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

I'm guessing this denomination is a part of the conservative holiness movement?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

jehoshaphat wrote:WHo was the Bible put together by? I mean who got to decide the canon of scripture?
I think as time went on the Bible was put together.
Mr. Yorp wrote:I'm guessing this denomination is a part of the conservative holiness movement?

& Yes it is. :)
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Put together by whom? The Bible is a series of letters, poetry, liturgical hymns, histories, laws, and prophecy. All of those writings didn't just happen to end up together. Did God drop it out of the sky one day to every church? Obvious hyperbole but what really did happen?

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

The Bible was standardized by church leaders at a meeting in Hippo in 393.