Methodist QA

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

If that's the case why doesn't your Bible have all the books that Council declared to be part of the canon?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

The criteria were:
1. Was the book written by one of God's prophets?
2. Did the book contain miracles to affirm God's acts?
3. Did the Bible tell the truth about God?
4. Was the book powerful enough to be life changing?
5. Did the early Christians accept the book?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Where are those criteria from? And why don't you accept the Council of Hippo?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

What do you mean?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I mean who said those were the criteria for whether a book should be in Scripture or not?

And the Council of Hippo included the Deuterocanonical books, why does your Bible exclude them?

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

I don't know

My Bible doesn't exclude them.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

How many books are in your Bible?

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Then it doesn't have the Deuterocanonical books included by the Council of Hippo

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

? Define the Deuterocanonical books...
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Sorry, my bad, should have defined them earlier. 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, Tobit, Judith, Wisdom of Solomon, Ecclesiasticus, Baruch, the Letter of Jeremiah, Prayer of Manasseh, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees. Plus some additions to the books of Daniel, Esther, and Psalms. These were all said to be part of the Bible at the Council of Hippo.

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Oh, okay.
Wikipedia wrote:The term deuterocanonical is sometimes used to describe the canonical antilegomena, those books of the New Testament which, like the deuterocanonicals of the Old Testament, were not universally accepted by the early Church, but which are now included in the 27 books of the New Testament recognized by almost all Christians.
Kind of confusing there...

That is what the Council of Hippo was about, to verify if books were accurate. They found some to not be accurate, and removed them.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Wikipedia is inaccurate as per usual, the usage they ascribe for deuterocanonical is not accurate. Yes the 27 books of the New Testament are agreed upon by almost all Christians; Protestant, Catholics, and Orthodox. However the Council of Hippo included in the Old Testament canon those books I posted above, they were agreed upon by both the Orthodox and Catholics for most of Church history but then the Protestants removed them. So if you are not using the canon from the Council of Hippo where does your canon come from?

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Who wrote those books?
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Various people, obviously no one person wrote all of them. Do you want to find out the authors to all of them?

Also my earlier question for you. The Bible is a series of letters, poetry, liturgical hymns, histories, laws, and prophecy. All of those writings didn't just happen to end up together, so who put them together?