Why do YOU believe?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Why do YOU believe?

Now, I expect most of us became Christian because our families introduced Christianity to us. Apart from that, however, what are everyone's personal reasons for believing in God?

-- Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:13 am --

Hm. It seems no one finds this topic interesting. Well, I believe in God because of different emotional experiences in my life, the bible, the billions who believe in him, and scientific evidence. However, it seems either this topic in too controversial, or it's just boring. Aaron, do you think we should shut this topic down? ;)
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I believe because God has become real to me. He protects me and i can feel His spirit sometimes.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Beautifully said! That's almost poetic.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

I became a Christian a while back when I was about 12 y/o and I always believed in God just because I lived in a Christian family and never really had a reason not to...but I hate to admit that I nearly came to the point of doubting last year when I came down with a terrible health condition and nearly went blind. I was hurt and angry that a loving God would let something like that happen to me, and for a while I wouldn't even pray. During that time a group of people I didn't even know (they didn't know me either, they had just read my story over the internet) would gather together at church and pray for me every Wednesday night, I had no idea they were doing that. It took nine months for me to get well, but nobody gave up on me, including that group of people...even when I had.
Almost a year later I went in for a check-up and the doctor told me I was no longer at any kind of risks and that I was almost as good as new! Not long after that, the pastor's wife of the church that had been praying sent me a email. She told me about how her church had prayed for the past nine months and how a few day earlier her husband had been praying for me and suddenly felt a sudden (as she had worded it) "power surge from the Holy Spirit" that I had finally come to healing. I just sat and stared at the computer screen with my mouth open.

Now how could I ever not believe in God after that? If I had gone blind, I would have deserved it for being so stupid and having such little faith. God is amazing and all powerful.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Amazing. Gorgeous. THAT IS SUCH A STORY, SUZY! But may I say that when people came to Jesus and expressed doubts, he didn't blast them with fire. He performed a miracle for them. We all doubt. Regularly. There's pain and suffering in world. Such things aren't what God intended. God isn't in them. They seem to block him from us. Jesus understands doubting. He's cool with it. Thank you for sharing that very personal story, Suzy! I am soooo touched! I'd say my own faith has been strengthened.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

"But may I say that when people came to Jesus and expressed doubts, he didn't blast them with fire. He performed a miracle for them. We all doubt. Regularly. There's pain and suffering in world. Such things aren't what God intended. God isn't in them. They seem to block him from us. Jesus understands doubting. He's cool with it..."

Those are wise words, PF...I just wish I could have heard you say that back when I was having so much trouble. Oh, and about the pain and suffering in the world- your indeed right. Sometimes I just wish I could scream the truth into the faces of all of those who are struggling and in doubt.

But now, my dear...I've noticed you haven't shared your reasons for believing. Could you tell us maybe, please?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Delighted. Actually, I did, briefly, if you'll scroll to the top. I mentioned the Bible and other things. However, to go a bit deeper, here we go...
My parents always encouraged me in Christianity, immensely. They've always been sure we're one of those go-to-church-every-sunday and always try to be on time families. They've always been willing to answer questions and so forth. However, at one point in my childhood, I developed a cold doubting of God. I would argue with my parents about his existence. Thanks to my parents gentle and loving arguments, I ended up in my Mom's arms crying and saying I believed in God again.
Sometime later, Mom got me and my first brother, our third or fourth AIO album. It included Thank You God. When Whit, then John, accepted Jesus into his heart with a "Dear Father", I did it with him. A wonderful feeling came over me.
I still have doubts from time to time. But I am discovering more and more that there's tons of philosophical and scientific evidence for God. What must take a tremendous amount of faith is to just believe in science.
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Oooooh! That's beautiful, Jeremiah! I just love what you said about listening to the episode and accepting Jesus into your heart, isn't it amazing what God can do? And thank you Jesus for Godly parents. Sometimes I think we don't realize how blessed we are to have them in our lives.
Oh, and what you said about the tremendous amount of faith it must take to believe in Science, I couldn't agree more. Its so much more confusing and troubling to live such a life like that.

P.S- If you ever have a little point of doubt from time to time, come talk to me about and I'll knock a little bit of sense into your head, okay?;)
AIOluver36
Chocolate Chip

I became a Christian at the age of 4 but it wasn't until about a year ago that I had a true relationship with God.... I was struggling with tons of stuff a year ago but through all the struggles that I had to deal with God showed me His amazing love and forgiveness!!! Every day He reminds me that He loves me and that He is always with me through the sun and the rain!!! I always stand in awe of His love for me and that He would sacrifice His only Son so that we might gain the free gift of eternal life.....
"Never Be Afraid To Trust An Unknown Future To A Known God" ~ Corrie Ten Boom
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

I always was a "Christian" Girl who prayed went to church sang a song. I knew he loved me with all my heart and I loved him. It was weird though. For awhile I told my friends about what happened at my church the day before. It was a Christian Private School but everyone thought that it was crazy. I was out of control struggling with problems. So worried to go pray or anything at church. I also was very angry and struggled with keeping friends. I still suffer from those choices. Then finally Jesus worked with me through a 7yo who was doing more than me. I thought over and said I should be a good example. So I went up to the alter for the first time. Then the next week I got the Baptism of the Holy Ghost and 2 weeks later I got baptized. It has made such a difference in my life. I'm not perfect but I feel him around me all the time.
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

That's just... beautiful, Hannah. Thank you for sharing that. And thank you too, AIOluver. Nicely said.
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

Pound Foolish wrote:That's just... beautiful, Hannah. Thank you for sharing that. And thank you too, AIOluver. Nicely said.
Thanks I am glad to share. It's a pleasure to share my Salvation experience we serve A Amazing God don't we? He's great!
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Sage
Caramel Crunch

Can I reply to this or is it too 'old?'
“It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh.”

Emily Rules!
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Sage wrote:Can I reply to this or is it too 'old?'
No, you're fine here. Go ahead and share. :)
jennakyler321
Cookies & Creme

Last year when I listened 2 a sermon on the radio about Revalation it really moved me
Jen
Gods love is like a warm cup of coffee you can't get enough
Starflower1234
Cookies & Creme

My parents and grandparents are Christians, so I've been surrounded by Christianity my whole life. I prayed to become a Christian around 8 or maybe younger, but I never was really serious about my faith. Then, when we moved to a different church, I started listening to the sermons. Before that I had always just been in children's church, but I was now too old for children's church, but the church we moved to was family integrated. When I started listening to the sermons, I realized that I wasn't really living for Christ, and I began to doubt if I was even really a Christian. I still struggle with doubt sometimes, but God is helping me through it, and I now know that I am a Christian. I am so thankful that God moved us to that church, because he used those sermons to help me really start to want to live like Christ. I'm still asking God for help to let me live every moment showing God's glory, but he has helped me a lot over the years.
I made a promise, Mr. Frodo. A promise. "Don't you leave him Samwise Gamgee." And I don't mean to. I don't mean to. - Sam from The Fellowship of the Ring movie
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you! - Sam from The Return of the King movie
cbriggs45
Vanilla

I grew up in a church family. like i am betting most here. but God wasnt real to me. i saw the two-faced people in church and most would amen and turn around and not have any success.

when i finally had my age of reason moment when i could make my own choices. I did, i soon realized what i could do good and what i couldnt i could manipulate people very very very very very very well. i used that to further my life.

at 18 i met the love of my life and between having a grreat time with her for four years, problem arose and we separated for a few years, in the separation time i learned even more how to use people to get what i wanted and was in a realllly dark spot but making amazing money for a person my age so when me and my girlfriend got back together we were both matured and able to understand that life wasnt about filling our pleasures and more building people up. time went on and things went south not with us but with life when God isnt your number one you are not under His grace.. things were forced on her. and she was in a fight for her life.. HCM (if you google it you'll understand) she died in march of 2013.. but 2012 was when i turned back to the things i grew up with.. it wasnt until her death in 2013.. when i finally came to God. like i say growing up in church doesnt mean you are part of the church. being in a building doesnt make you what that building produces unless you choose it to manifest in you.

Here I sit a less rough around the edges Kid who no longer thinks like a guy who ran the streets and lived that life... Now he lives like s Kings kid.. God paid off all my debt so I am debt free prospering Giving Help getting help gaining knowledge I may not always be on top of my life but i am far better then i use to be.

I smile when people see me for who i was... only because that mean is dead and Christ lives in me now..

longer then i think you wanted. but i love telling my testimony.