Outward Adornment

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Outward Adornment

Leviticus 19:19
‘You shall keep My statutes. You shall not let your livestock breed with another kind. You shall not sow your field with mixed seed. Nor shall a garment of mixed linen and wool come upon you.'

1 Peter 3:3-4 (NKJV)
Do not let your adornment be merely outward—arranging the hair, wearing gold, or putting on fine apparel— rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.

1 Timothy 2:8-10 (NKJV)
I desire therefore that the men pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting; in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works.

What are your thoughts on Christianity and Fashion? Seeing as the Old Testament refers to clothing, as does dress in the New Testament, I would assume its a discussion to have. Is being "up to date" in fashion prideful, or a sign of exuberant wealth that should be spent elsewhere? What are the benefits and problems with having a longing for good fashion? Is it only women who need watch what they think/do when it comes to fashion? What do you think?
xo eht haiasi-
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

First things first. When you pray, do you lift up holy hands? :wacky:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Fashion is evil, and those who wear clothes dated after 1919 (as that is the chapter and verse prohibiting mixed linen put together) should be burned at the stake.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I usually raise my hands several times as I pray. Talking about prayer would be a good discussion actually, but that's not the topic here.

I /would/ say "seeing as you are SDA you probably do believe that" (since it seems you still mostly hold to OT laws), but I shall quiet my trolling ways and just mention it this way in order to make it sound less rude. 0=)
xo eht haiasi-
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

You're absolutely right. All my clothes are from 1918 or earlier.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Um...pardon my ignorance, but what is SDA?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
PennyBassett
Fudge Marble

I would say the main concern is priority. So many Christians, men and women, put fashion over God. That's obviously not right. And those verses don't say to not look nice, they're simply saying our focus needs to be on God.
"Let me get this straight. I bet all those non-friends of yours try to embarrass you about your love for that stuff, right? So, you almost feel like you have to hide your treasures away and can only take them out in secret on rainy days when your mom goes to the store to get more liver and nobody is around to berate your sensitive spirit. Is that what you’re saying?" -Jay Smouse
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

TigerShadow wrote:Um...pardon my ignorance, but what is SDA?
It stands for Seventh Day Adventist.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Huh. How did I not think of that?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love