Go to Church?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Go to Church?

An interesting topic of discussion came up in the Christmas Day thread where several people said their churches were simply rebroadcasting sermons online. What do people think about watching sermons online instead of attending church? On a broader topic what is the point of physically attending church?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

Okay, yes, to be clear, I said that, but the purpose of broadcasting it (that was provided) is so that people who were /unable/ to attend church could still hear the sermon--not so they could 'get out' of attending church. You know, like if they were sick or out of town. I think this is a thread already, why we should (physically) attend church, but I believe it is for fellowship with other believers in the context of the church, for the purpose of edifying and encouragement. My two cents.
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I figured that was the usual purpose, my own parish posts the sermon portion of our service to YouTube precisely so people who were sick/unable to attend can see them.

I was just curious to see what people's reasons for physically attending church were. To go off that I notice you didn't talk about the sacraments specifically communion, or would that be part of the fellowship with other believers?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

I actually hadn't thought of that atm, but yes, that too.
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Many churches that I know of provide an online sermon for those who aren't able to go to church. However, it isn't just marketed towards the sick and elderly, but really anyone who didn't want to or couldn't physically be there. There isn't a huge emphasis on involvement among the couple churches I've been to lately, so I can see why some people would have the attitude of "why get dressed up, drive all the way there, and sit through it, when I can just sit here in my pajamas and eat cheese doodles while watching the sermon." I even think that way some times, not saying it's right though. :P
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Do you think the main point of Sunday services is the sermon?

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Do you think the main point of Sunday services is the sermon?
No.

I think the main part should be the fellowship with other Christians. But I know for many it is the service. As I don't have much fellowship at my church at home (literally none because I know no one), and only a little at my church at school, I don't often feel driven to go.

Plus, as a student at a Christian university, I have required chapels throughout the semester. As such, I get my sermons, I get my fellowship, and I get my Christian community all week.

I don't know really where I'm getting at with this post. :P
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

How would you define fellowship?

What do you think the role of communal worship is in Christianity?