Why Go to Church?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Why Go to Church?

Why should I go to church? I can pray at home, I can hear a sermon at home, do my own Bible Study at home, sing and play music at home... so why bother? Isn't it just about Jesus and me anyways?
xo eht haiasi-
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Don't forsake the assembly of the brothers. The fellowship. The Bible is filled with Christians working together. Why would God set up the structure for the church, if it wasn't needed. Not to mention giving. Oh there are a lot of reasons, if you stop to think about it.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

The main reason is fellowship with other believers. You know, encouraging them. Was this sarcastic? 0_o
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm thinking the Ox might have been serious.
Personally, I don't think attending church is necessary, certainly not for salvation or anyone's attempts to appear holy.
The members of a church arrive as broken and sinful people, whether or not they acknowledge it though the purpose of church I believe, is to strengthen and encourage faith. Churches should provide resources for those in need for need and be an outreach.
One reason for attending would be for the outreach. If you wanted to wanted to serve with different missions and organisations it seems natural to refer to church. Of course you can always do this on your own or through another group, such as Awana ;) .

And you might be a new believer. The church has always been an emblem of Christianity and is constantly attracting desperate and lost souls. Through literature and media, it has stood standing as a haven on earth against the forces of evil.
There are more reasons for attending, like Blitz mentioned, though I don't think you do have to attend church. Fellowship and worship can be gained from other ways. :)
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Well the church is a mandate set up by Christ. Christians are referred to as part of the church and being the church themselves. Churches are truly the main form of branching ways to grow in your faith.
Debate Vampire

GJFH
Peanut Butter Cup

Blitz wrote:Well the church is a mandate set up by Christ. Christians are referred to as part of the church and being the church themselves. Churches are truly the main form of branching ways to grow in your faith.
Yes, that's true, and I think I referred to that. Churches are in fact the main form and contain steady ground for discipleship and scripture training. I just don't think church is necessary, though even if it is helpful.
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us - Romans 8:18

It’s not enough to be against something. You have to be for something better. – Tony Stark
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Isaiah the Ox wrote:Why should I go to church? I can pray at home, I can hear a sermon at home, do my own Bible Study at home, sing and play music at home... so why bother? Isn't it just about Jesus and me anyways?
Are you considering becoming a hermit?
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Didi
Cookies & Creme

Bethany Shepard wrote:Are you considering becoming a hermit?
I was actually. It would be nice. :wacky:
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
AuntSarah
Caramel Crunch

the word church means a group of christians so we don't really ''go to church'' we go to be with church, you don't have to come to church to become a christian and you don't have to be in a church building I help out with child care on sunday evenings at a friends neighborhood church which meets at someones home the supportive and loving people that you are around at church can really help with a lot of things it is also nice to be able to talk about what you believe don't you like talking about your fandom to other fans? I can not believe I just compared the church to a giant fandom woah it is awesome to be able to talk to people who know more about the bible then you do and are stronger Christians then you to help you in your walk and being able to pray with and for one another is amazing I also think that it can reach out to non-Christians better then just 1 person because you can preach at someone you know but its harder to pull random people off the streets and bring them to your house for church when you just stay at home you are not doing the thing that God tells us to do be ministers to all the earth when you are in a church you can welcome new guest and pray with them but you are not doing as much of that by yourself sitting on the couch

here are some verses about church attendance

Hebrews 10:25
25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Colossians 3:16
16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts.

Matthew 18:20
20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Romans 10:17

17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.

so thats what I think!
Aha suh dude
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Matthew 18:20
For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

This is not about what I think you mean actually. It isn't taking about a special presence of God when we are together, but talking about specific decision making for the church and/ or discipleship between two people. Not exactly applicable to a church setting.
Debate Vampire