Who should we be praying to?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Post Reply
sing
Raspberry Ripple
Posts: 607
Joined: November 2012
Location: Narnia

Who should we be praying to?

Post

I was reading ED's Q&A, and something he said made me think of this verse: 1 Timothy 2:5-6King James Version (KJV)

5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

So if Jesus is our mediator, should we be praying to him?

So what do you think? Should we pay to God? Jesus? Holy spirit? Or does praying to God include all three?

I personally just pray to God or Jesus, whichever I happen to say, but I have never thought of this before.
Image


Of course, all boys have cooties, so I avoid like them like the plague. -Helios


Music is life, that's why our hearts have beats
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

I think we should be praying to all three persons in the Godhead, prayer is about understanding and communicating with God and God is three persons.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I think we should be praying to all three persons in the Godhead, prayer is about understanding and communicating with God and God is three persons.
So if its about communicating with God, why pull Saints into it? Its like having many gods. Prayer should be reserved for God alone. Yes, I know you say its like asking someone to pray for you, but you really can't tell them face to face. You are using the same method to get ahold of them as you use to talk to God. I am really failing at understanding why bother, even if they can hear, which I don't know if we can know that.

And I just went on a rant. :|

@Sing I think I brought up that verse in EDs thread.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

If its about communicating with God, why pull anyone else into it? Why do you ask anyone to pray for you? I mean especially if you have to call or email them and can't tell them face to face?

James 5:16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. I don't see why people being in heaven has to stop our relationship with them.

As for can they hear us, I don't see why not.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Blitz
Moose Tracks
Posts: 3787
Joined: February 2013

Post

That isn't praying to others. That is asking them to pray to God along side of you.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
User avatar
Didi
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 489
Joined: August 2016
Location: In the fridge
Contact:

Post

We have one God. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are titles. Just like Dad, Mom, Sister, etc. It's just one god. Only one. His name is Jesus, and there's power in that name. We pray to Jesus, God, whatever you happen to say. You always ask in Jesus' name. When you say "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit", it doesn't work. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it doesn't. You ask in His name, because His name has the power. Just like asking your friend "hey daughter, sister, and aunt, could you help me out with this next test?". Yeah, they may be a daughter and a sister and even an aunt, but that's not their name. I'm pretty sure they'd be like what?? I know I wouldn't answer to titles; I'd answer to my name. It's the same with Jesus.

-- Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:59 pm --
Miss Friendship wrote:
Eleventh Doctor wrote:I think we should be praying to all three persons in the Godhead, prayer is about understanding and communicating with God and God is three persons.
So if its about communicating with God, why pull Saints into it? Its like having many gods. Prayer should be reserved for God alone. Yes, I know you say its like asking someone to pray for you, but you really can't tell them face to face. You are using the same method to get ahold of them as you use to talk to God. I am really failing at understanding why bother, even if they can hear, which I don't know if we can know that.

And I just went on a rant. :|

@Sing I think I brought up that verse in EDs thread.
I disagree. Matthew 18:19 says that if two or more ask God for something, He'll do it. There is more power when more are asking for the same thing. Yes, God hears your prayer alone but it is more powerful when more people are asking for it. Here's an example I heard in Sunday school: if you take some toilet paper and try to rip it, you can. It's super easy. But take two and twist them. it's a bit harder, but it's still possible. Take three and braid them. It'll take a lot to rip them in half. I know this example points more towards people sticking together, but I'm just trying to make a point. There's nothing wrong with asking others to pray for you. Or rather, with you. Because if you ask someone to pray for you and you don't even pray yourself, you obviously don't care that much about it in the first place. But in conclusion, there's power when you pray with a friend, and multiple people praying is often encouraged.
"I was born with white vans on"
"Vans weren't even popular when you were born"
K.R.E.
User avatar
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4818
Joined: February 2015
Location: Somewhere beyond you
Contact:

Post

Didi wrote:I disagree. Matthew 18:19 says that if two or more ask God for something, He'll do it. There is more power when more are asking for the same thing. Yes, God hears your prayer alone but it is more powerful when more people are asking for it. Here's an example I heard in Sunday school: if you take some toilet paper and try to rip it, you can. It's super easy. But take two and twist them. it's a bit harder, but it's still possible. Take three and braid them. It'll take a lot to rip them in half. I know this example points more towards people sticking together, but I'm just trying to make a point. There's nothing wrong with asking others to pray for you. Or rather, with you. Because if you ask someone to pray for you and you don't even pray yourself, you obviously don't care that much about it in the first place. But in conclusion, there's power when you pray with a friend, and multiple people praying is often encouraged.
Ahem. I was arguing against prayer to Saints who have died in the past, not against praying with others, or asking for prayer.
Didi wrote:When you say "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit", it doesn't work. I don't mean to offend anyone, but it doesn't. You ask in His name, because His name has the power. Just like asking your friend "hey daughter, sister, and aunt, could you help me out with this next test?". Yeah, they may be a daughter and a sister and even an aunt, but that's not their name. I'm pretty sure they'd be like what?? I know I wouldn't answer to titles; I'd answer to my name. It's the same with Jesus.
So you are saying God doesn't like to be called by many names because people don't? God is in a box now?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
User avatar
Belle
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4998
Joined: May 2012
Location: Spoilers!
Contact:

Post

Didi wrote:When you say "In the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit", it doesn't work. I know I wouldn't answer to titles; I'd answer to my name. It's the same with Jesus.
But those aren't just titles to God. They are his names. Just like your mom goes by mom to her kids, in that case mom isn't a title but a name.
Image
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

So why did Jesus say in the Great Commission. "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit." If He didn't want us to use that?

Also when Christ is baptized who is speaking from Heaven? Who is descending like a dove?

When Christ is in the Garden who is He praying to?

This idea just doesn't line up with Christ's actions and words.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple
Posts: 505
Joined: January 2016
Location: Dead and gone, but my presence lingers on

Post

What throws us is the fact the God is one God while being three persons. Thus, (and this is just my theory) we can pray to one or more of three persons and still be talking to the same God. As the three persons each have different roles it would make sense that the Christian would talk to different ones depending on the situation and message to be communicated.


Etc., etc.: I, Ninjahunter
Mickey
Peach Cobbler
Posts: 1367
Joined: June 2014
Location: Somewhere, Someplace, Sometime!

Post

God is great, and I believe you can call him God, Jesus, Holy spirit, whatever and he'll hear you. He's not just sitting there waiting to hear Jesus, and if someone pays to Father, he won't just ignore you.He'll hear you.
Image
Proud K.R.E Member
Post Reply