How charismatic should we be?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
sing
Raspberry Ripple

How charismatic should we be?

So yeah, the topic pretty much says it, but I'll expound a little.

I'm gonna use raising your hands during a song for a example.

I have grown up in a church that has like a total of 2 families that show any emotion. Everyone else is like stone statutes. And actually that is something that I have really really struggled with. Like I really want to raise my hands during a song or something, but people just don't do that, so there is this little choice in my head telling me "you just don't do that sing" and I don't, but I always wish I could. Abd I think that's really sad. But I also think you can go to the other extreme. Sometimes I wonder if people just raise their hands on any song that has any nice words and it's like no big deal at all. You are just doing it cuz that is way everyone else is doing,and it makes you seem like a super holy awesome Christian.

What do you all think? I would LOVE to hear all opinions

Of course, all boys have cooties, so I avoid like them like the plague. -Helios

Music is life, that's why our hearts have beats
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I feel its a personality thing. I don't think there is one type of worship that is right and all the others are wrong. Look at how people show love to each other. Some are very emotional and expressive and some are more reserved.
Paula
Peach Cobbler

Nice topic idea ;)

So the church that I'm attending now is very charismatic. We have people up front dancing and having a great time praising God, and I really do enjoy it. As for the raising hands during worship...Some people may do it because everyone else is doing it, but it really is an act of worship, and an act of receiving from God. Now I have been to churches and they raise their hands, but I could tell that it was just for the pleasure of raising your hands. How anyone can tell the difference is beyond me, but I think when you see it you know. I myself don't raise my hands during worship often, but when I do I'm at total peace and I feel joy. I have a hard time doing things like that, because I'm afraid about what others will think of me, and that's a really big issue for some Christians. We need to get over that fear of being judged and just worship God, because that's one of the main reasons why we're here.
Fast & Jelly are at it again. This time they face the evil fast clickers. Can fast be faster? Is Jelly too slow to turn them into jelly? Find out this week on Fast & Jelly! --> Penguin
"update your signature, Paperclip's term ended ages ago" -Swah
Happy now?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I am really reserved usually so I don't care much for that. I do like to do hand motions for songs that have them and clap.

I do have one thing. When worshiping God, we should think about why we are doing what we are doing. If we are doing it for our own fun or pleasure or for worshipping God.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
sing
Raspberry Ripple

aragtaghooligan wrote:I feel its a personality thing. I don't think there is one type of worship that is right and all the others are wrong. Look at how people show love to each other. Some are very emotional and expressive and some are more reserved.
Very good point
Paula wrote:Nice topic idea ;)

So the church that I'm attending now is very charismatic. We have people up front dancing and having a great time praising God, and I really do enjoy it. As for the raising hands during worship...Some people may do it because everyone else is doing it, but it really is an act of worship, and an act of receiving from God. Now I have been to churches and they raise their hands, but I could tell that it was just for the pleasure of raising your hands. How anyone can tell the difference is beyond me, but I think when you see it you know. I myself don't raise my hands during worship often, but when I do I'm at total peace and I feel joy. I have a hard time doing things like that, because I'm afraid about what others will think of me, and that's a really big issue for some Christians. We need to get over that fear of being judged and just worship God, because that's one of the main reasons why we're here.
Yeah, I struggle with that a lot too, but when I do so something like that, I always have such joy, abd it's like, I don't care what others think, I'm just praising God with my whole heart! :-)

Of course, all boys have cooties, so I avoid like them like the plague. -Helios

Music is life, that's why our hearts have beats
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think one can be as charismatic as one wants as long as one keeps in mind 1st Corinthians 14. Tounges must be interpreted and that God is a God of order.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

I hope you know this ED, but that's not exactly what they meant as "Charasmatic." (I don't think) But, besides that, what do you mean by order? Do mean everything must be planned out years ahead, and that babies should not be allowed during a service, in fear they will disrupt the sermon? Or is it that spontaneity and dancing aren't allowed?
xo eht haiasi-
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

This is what I got from Charismatic, perhaps that term can be defined.

Planning out years in advance isn't a bad thing but my denomination has been using the same order of service for 1,700 years so I might be a bit biased. I never said anything about no babies, my denomination actually has babies in our service and they participate with us in communion, which for us is the main focus of the service not the sermon.

As for spontinaity and dancing what do you think the 1st Corinthians passage says about that?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I've found that spontaneity and dancing can be horrible for a church. In Ghana, most churches can dance and sing for two hours. Now come sermon everyone is a sleep. Yes, fine they aren't bad, I am not a fan of dancing, but moderated also.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset