So You Wanna Be Rich?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Most people don't get rich by trotting on the poor. Generally they do that when they are rich and only a few actually can do that.
Besides the point, most verses about rich if you go into them are about trusting wealth instead of God.
Rich is very relative. The 'one percent rich' doesn't even include celebrities, athletes, etc.
Anyway after that thing on rich, I personally don't focus on wealth much. Don't have much anyway lol. Money should be used to God's glory never on something bad.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

It's an open-ended question, I'd like to hear anyone's thoughts. Lots of things are bad for the environment. My laptop is bad for the environment. Plastic, gas, milk, whatever. It'd be hard to think of a purchase that legitimately helps the earth. Do you have any specifics in mind?

-- Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:26 pm --
Blitz wrote: Rich is very relative. The 'one percent rich' doesn't even include celebrities, athletes, etc.
Anyway after that thing on rich, I personally don't focus on wealth much. Don't have much anyway lol. Money should be used to God's glory never on something bad.
I agree, bad things are bad. But what is it you're thinking is bad to spend money on?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

That depends on the person etc. There are soo many things. I can hardly start...
Debate Vampire

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I don't think it is possible to not be bad, just to be as good as we can. So I'll probably always have some unethical purchases but just strive to be more and more ethical as my life goes.
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

Rethinking this as I'm taking economics and reading a book on Christianity and money... I'm actually going to agree with MF more. 0_______0 Of course, nothing is impossible, but that doesn't mean being rich is a... blessing. When we money, we can become very materialistic. Look at the US in general, things are a big part of our lives. What the new Apple device is and 10 reasons why we need to have it, why we need to have a new car and a new tv and a new laptop to add to our stack of computers; new clothes and hair styles and make up; new music and albums and speakers... We can become obsessed with it. The US has money (compared to most of the rest of the world), and we know it. We spend it... a lot.

That doesn't seem right or Christian to me. We are to die to ourselves and live in Christ. We aren't to feed our pleasures by buying whatever we want, we are to literally DIE to those wants and do what Jesus wants us to do. Maybe that is buying a new car. *shrugs* But most likely it's helping others, giving, charity work, etc. If we are "blessed" with money, we should use it wisely. Unfortunately, our sinful minds and this world are very good at trapping us into spending money on pointless things we don't need. (like a NEW iPhone even tho our old one works perfectly fine)

Now, if you are richer than the average person in the US, this temptation to waste money with just increase. Instead of being able to avoid materialism because "You can't afford it", now you can literally afford everything and you have to /really/ deny yourself the supposed "pleasure" of more stuff in order to do what Christ wants you to do. Right now, I guess I'd say I'd view being rich kinda like being homosexual. It's a terrible temptation that can be difficult to ignore or get rid of, but if you can say no to your pleasures and yes to Christ, you will be eternally rewarded for it... you'll be a very special martyr- killing part of yourself in order to live in Jesus.

So yes, you can be rich and be a Christian. But, no, it is not easy.
xo eht haiasi-
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I'd agree with Isaiah and go a bit farther. When one even donates money, it shouldn't be for self satisfaction. It should be for the glory of God. The use of money is aimed to please God, before pleasing ourselves. Not that God doesn't want us to enjoy life by any means as shown by Ecclesiastes. If you need a refocus on how to spend money, go to Ecclesiastes.
Debate Vampire

NinjaHunter
Raspberry Ripple

"It's a terrible temptation that can be difficult to ignore or get rid of, but if you can say no to your pleasures and yes to Christ, you will be eternally rewarded for it... you'll be a very special martyr- killing part of yourself in order to live in Jesus"

Meh. I think it's more like being single: a double-edged sword that will bless or curse you, depending on what you do with it. That being said, if you have it you might as well enjoy it.

So far though the only post I fully agree with is aragtaghooligans. Everyone else seems to be harping on wealth too much and missing the point: God wants us to depend on Him, not ourselves and certainly not our stuff. Arguing about how much wealth one should have or what one should do with said wealth is a distraction in my mind.