A question for catholics

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
sing
Raspberry Ripple

A question for catholics

So I have no experience whatsoever with Catholic church services, and I hope this is an ok question to ask, but I've always wondered. What exactly is mass? I've asked my parents, but they both didn't know. If you would satisfy my curiosity it would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Of course, all boys have cooties, so I avoid like them like the plague. -Helios

Music is life, that's why our hearts have beats
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

For future reference: since you're talking about religious matters, this topic ought to have been started in the Church subforum.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
sing
Raspberry Ripple

Oops. Sorry

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

Mass is the celebration and memorial of Christ's life, death, and resurrection. It is the highest form of worship in the Catholic faith. In it we celebrate the Eucharist which we believe becomes the physical body and blood of Jesus Christ as said in Scripture. It is divided into two main parts: the liturgy of the words, and the Liturgy of the Eucharist. During the Liturgy of the Word 2-3 readings from the Bible are read, generally one from the old testament, one from the new testament, and one form the Gospels. In the Liturgy of the Eucharist the Paschal sacrifice happens and the bread and wine are transubstantiated into the Body and Blood of Christ. That's basically what it is but there is so much more. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
sing
Raspberry Ripple

So basically it is kinda like communion?

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

It's the true communion first instituted by Christ yes.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

But it's also the normal church service of the Catholics, so not just communion.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
sing
Raspberry Ripple

Thanks for what you've said, I really appreciate it. :-)