Is Lying Always Wrong?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Mark 2

And it came to pass, that he went through the corn fields on the sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the ears of corn. 24 And the Pharisees said unto him, Behold, why do they on the sabbath day that which is not lawful? 25 And he said unto them, Have ye never read what David did, when he had need, and was an hungred, he, and they that were with him? 26 How he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and did eat the shewbread, which is not lawful to eat but for the priests, and gave also to them which were with him? 27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath. (KJV)
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why do you think they're stealing here? They could have either gotten permission or bought the corn. Or it could be part of the fields farmers in Israel were suppose to leave for any to take.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

But David was definitely stealing.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

When was that?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

It is cited in the verse York gave do you want me to actually find a quote from Kings about it?
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

When? What does that have to do with anything?
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Maybe he thinks it is no longer relevant cause it's from the OT? I'm not super sure I'm a touch confused.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

OK another question for the ones of you who would steal for their families. You are facing a Roman Empire now who says you either deny Christ or they burn your family alive. What do you do? So far you would kill, lie and steal to protect them.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I still want to know why you guys think it is ok for David to steal but not me.

-- Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:33 pm --

but to answer your question, the fact that we admit we'd do stuff that is sin shouldn't surprise you after all. Peter denied Christ THREE TIMES. And was forgiven. I mean we aim not to sin, but we are still human.
Woody
Cookies & Creme

aragtaghooligan wrote:I still want to know why you guys think it is ok for David to steal but not me.
He... didn't steal.
1 Samuel 21:1-6 wrote:Then came David to Nob to Ahimelech the priest: and Ahimelech was afraid at the meeting of David, and said unto him, Why art thou alone, and no man with thee?
And David said unto Ahimelech the priest, The king hath commanded me a business, and hath said unto me, Let no man know any thing of the business whereabout I send thee, and what I have commanded thee: and I have appointed my servants to such and such a place.
Now therefore what is under thine hand? give me five loaves of bread in mine hand, or what there is present.
And the priest answered David, and said, There is no common bread under mine hand, but there is hallowed bread; if the young men have kept themselves at least from women.
And David answered the priest, and said unto him, Of a truth women have been kept from us about these three days, since I came out, and the vessels of the young men are holy, and the bread is in a manner common, yea, though it were sanctified this day in the vessel.
So the priest gave him hallowed bread: for there was no bread there but the shewbread, that was taken from before the Lord, to put hot bread in the day when it was taken away.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Sorry I remembered it wrong how embarrassing :( thanks Woody
Woody
Cookies & Creme

No problem. We all have memory lapses. I have more than my fair share of them. xP

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So you are saying ragtag, that it's ok to deny Christ himself as long as you repent later?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Not that it is ok but that I'm not surprised humans do things that aren't ok because we are human.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Well actually the scenerio I just described was very common back in the time right after Christ. They threatened Christians with terrible fates if they would not renounce Christ. Yet, many of them did not back away under fierce persecution and remained faithful in spite of severe painful deaths. I am disappointed that Christians today don't think they could do the same. Back then to become a follower of Christ, was like signing your death sentence. In the 1500's being re-baptized as an adult was a crime punishable by death. The Devil has tried persecution against the Christians for some time... And I fear he has found even a more successful way of getting us down and to recant our faith. Through easy comfortable wealthy life---we are off our guard and the church of today is preaching many a false doctrine...they teach its OK to disobey Jesus's commands and it won't effect your salvation. Many are falling to this. The World is joining forces with the Church in a calm unsuspecting sort of way. Separation is a thing of the past.

Tiger, so maybe I am trying to live a high moral life. But from this verse in Luke 14:26 I think its exactly what Jesus wants.
If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, HE CANNOT BE MY DICSIPLE.
So its Jesus who put the standard up that high, and so yes, obeying Jesus's teachings is more important than protecting your family or anyone else.

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I trust that Jesus blood covers my weakness. I am weak as all get out so than you Jesus.