Is Lying Always Wrong?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Miss friendship, I'm confused with why you keep bringing up Ananias. Isn't he the one who was killed for lying about donating money? That's not lying for a good cause it is very different.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Donating money isn't a good cause? He did donate money, but not everything he said he did. And he was struck dead for what we call today a "half truth" or a white lie....so I think the NT is clear. Lying is always wrong, no exceptions.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

But the lie was to protect himself and let himself have more money. The lie wasn't for a good cause.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

OK, yes, I don't think his lie in any case was right, but the fact is he was killed for it. I don't think we can take a sin and say "well since we are using stealing to feed the poor" it makes it right. Sin is still wrong. Yes maybe those rich people should be giving, but it would be wrong for us to steal their wealth even for a good cause. The same goes with lying. I don't see any allowance made for "lying for a good cause."
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

All I'm saying is it doesn't make sense to use him as an example for your point. If Robin Hood were real and God killed Robin Hood then I'd be interested. But Ananias is a different sort of case all together. I'm still out on whether I believe it is ok to lie to protect someone else, I'm leaning towards what I believe bout killing yes to protect someone else if it comes to that but not to protect yourself. That is in theory though I probably would lie in reality because I'd be scared.
Woody
Cookies & Creme

But Robin Hood is real:

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Robin hood was probably real, but that picture isn't proof.

Why did Jesus deceive people?
Last edited by Mr. Yorp on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woody
Cookies & Creme

The picture is a joke, Mr. Yorp. It's from a show called Doctor Who(the show Eleventh Doctor got his name from.) It's a time travel show, and the picture is a promo pic for an episode they with Robin Hood.

And did I say Jesus deceived people? I'm fairly certain he didn't, but I will think it over to see if I can think of an instance. I do, however, believe that Samuel was given express orders from God to deceive King Saul, as I mentioned earlier in this debate.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Luke 24:28
And they drew nigh unto the village, whither they went:and he made as though he would have gone further.
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

My mom just told me a cool story. She was raised in the Dutch Christian Reformed Church and said this conversation came up a lot in those circles because of their parents' experiences in the war in Holland. Most people my mom knows say yes lie to protect others, but every once in a while someone would take the opposite stance and when they did they would bring up this story:

Once there was a woman who hid a Jew but believed that lying was wrong. The Jew was hiding under her floor boards under her table with a long table cloth over it. The Germans came and asked her are you hiding a Jew and she said yes. They asked her where and she said under the table. They looked under the table cloth, did not see anything, got made at her for teasing them and left. This story suggests that God will protect you if you do not lie because you believe it is obedience to Him. That said, I still think it is ok to lie to protect another. Just thought it was a cool story to share.
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I think it's not only okay but the right thing to lie to protect the innocent and persecuted. Since we're talking about World War Two here is an example from my tradition. http://jewishcurrents.org/march-31-moth ... paris-4518

Mother Maria of Paris was a Russian nun who lived in Paris during WW2 and helped many Jews flee the Nazi persecution. She would give them false baptism certificates from her parish so they had paperwork saying they were Christians so the Nazis wouldn't arrest them.
Why not tell the truth and fight to defend? It's a lost cause, but a cause nonetheless.
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

OK everyone, is stealing ever right in particular cases? Suppose the only way you could keep your family from starving was by stealing some food. Or Jews....whatever you prefer. Would you do it? I am asking Woody, ragtag, Eleventh, Tiger, Yorp...anyone involved in this conversation who believes its OK to lie. I want an honest answer about how far of protecting your loved ones goes. So far its OK to kill and lie if you are protecting. So what about stealing??

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

My grandfather lived on a house boat in Holland and the Nazis forced his father to use it to cart around the things they stole from Jewish people and my grandpa (when he was a boy) stole a coin set that the Nazis had stolen from the Jews. My sister still has it today. Personally I think that was wrong because it didn't serve any purpose to save anyone or anything, but I do think it is interesting that we seem to drop our morals when it comes to a "bad" person. Oh we can steal if it is from a "bad" person. No big deal. I think the fact that our brains does this is dangerous. I also think we should aim not to steal, but if it was steal or watch my loved one die i probably would steal. I am curious though to see what others say.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

To protect my loved ones or innocent people? Yes, I would steal, especially if I was stealing from a corrupt government that led people into desperate situations through its own incompetence or greed. It would be a hard decision, and I would certainly feel guilty, but I'd rather have a mark against me than watch my family, friends, or anyone else die without doing anything about it. One could argue that you're being unfaithful to God by disobeying His commands, but aren't you also being unfaithful to God by not valuing life enough to do something to protect it? It's not an easy situation.

Miss Friendship, I understand why you're trying to take the high road, but the thing is, you really don't know what you'd do in that situation until you're in it. It's not this easy "well, I'd always do what's right!" kind of thing. We live in a world where people are or have been in situations in which moral lines are blurred so as to be almost unrecognizable; to suggest that they can still find some kind of black and white "good vs evil" answer to their problem seems kind of disrespectful to what they're going through or have been through.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I wouldn't steal, to do so would be wrong. Juxtapositionaly whoever has and does not give to the starving is sinning too.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Is picking corn from a field and eating it, that is not yours, that you did not plant, stealing?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Yes, unless the planters left it there for you or hungry people in general.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Why did the deciples take corn while travelling? Jesus did not say anything about it? Even the Pharisees said nothing about it.
Last edited by Mr. Yorp on Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Can you cite some verses and I'll respond to that?

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Or David, didn't he steal food from the temple?