Is Lying Always Wrong?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

As they say, a half-truth is a whole lie. He was still being asked to deliberately deceive someone.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I thought it's already been established on here that the OT, for the most part, is not for us today. Although when it comes to war, you all quickly jump to the OT for examples like David. When someone brings a point out from the OT, like Mr. Yorp, suddenly the OT is not for us today. Excuse my bluntness, but has anyone considered this inconsistency?

When it comes to lying, it's clearly forbidden in the New and Old. Yes, God have made an exception in the Old, but so He did with war, and divorce, and animal sacrifice, things He now forbids in the New Testament. Ananias was killed for a half-truth.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

The examples Mr. Yorp brings up are from Levitical law, which no longer applies to us today. David and Samuel's behavior is not a now-defunct system of law; it was ordained by God, which indicates that even though He does not like either war or dishonesty, He uses them for His purposes.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

TigerShadow wrote:which indicates that even though He does not like either war or dishonesty, He uses them for His purposes.
Right. But Jesus raised the standard higher, because now we have a means of grace and the Holy Spirit, something that wasn't full understood by the OT prophets and patriarchs. God allows many things to happen to accomplish His purposes, for example He uses evil men to bring persecution on His church so He can purify it. But that doesn't mean we now have the allowance to go become that "evil leader."
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Blitz
Moose Tracks

The OT is not irrelevant. Unless, the Bible specifically says a rule in the OT is no more it is still applicable.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

How specific does the Bible have to be? Cause I don't remember it saying anything specific about stopping the rules about no mixed fabrics or four tassels on all your clothes, also will you shave your beard when you get one?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I think that the passages in Galatians about the Mosaic law being a "curse" that was lifted from us when Jesus died is specific enough.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Various times Paul said that the outward limitations of the OT were lifted from us.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

If deception is always wrong, there is no way we can play games such as chess.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Can you expand on this point?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

You are deceiving your opposition into thinking you are making a certain move when in reality you wish to do something completely different.

Is it wrong to have a light on a timer while you are gone from your house for long periods of time?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

What do you think? Do you think those are the same as lying?

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

No, I do not.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Okay then it doesn't pertain to the topic of this thread.

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

Deception is okay then?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Is it? Do you think playing chess or putting lights on a timer are wrong?

HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Mr. Yorp wrote:If deception is always wrong, there is no way we can play games such as chess.
Or play Mafia on here!
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

As discussed yesterday on the Chat, lying is part of the Mafia game... Although it does bother me. I suppose since it is not real life...but...

Connie G.
Peach Cobbler

As goes the saying, "He's so honest, you could play chess with him over the phone."... ;)
Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow.

"Why does Connie shower all of the time?" ~CGM_Games
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

Does that make sarcasm wrong? *gasp*