Men & Women, Who Should Be Ordained?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

And it means a servant...

http://biblehub.com/greek/1249.htm
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

From your own source: /diákonos ("ministry") in the NT usually refers to the Lord inspiring His servants to carry out His plan for His people – i.e. as His "minister" (like a deacon serving Him in a local church).
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I minister to my family's needs everyday... and i also minister to my church by helping there... but it doesn't mean I'm preaching and teaching the men in church.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Guess that's another difference between your church and the Early Church.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Source? You can't just say that...

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Your own source says it is like a deacon serving in the church. That word is used to refer to Phoebe.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

True. This is what it says... but I don't see that "teaching the men" enters the equation anywhere. It was like I figured... ministering to the sick and the poor. We don't have reference to anything more.

"a deaconess (ministra, Pliny, epistles 10, 97), a woman to whom the care of either poor or sick women was entrusted,'

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I was more referring to the authority part than the teaching part. She was in charge of this ministry, not just part of it but entrusted with this ministry.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I see. I would agree with that.

Audrey
Cookies & Creme

I have a genuine question instead of a rebuttal for now (*gasp*).

Why can't women be ordained? I want to hear both Biblical reasons and your own personal reasons as to why not, if that's alright.

I don't know if I'm missing these verses or if you're just drawing them for the same passage where it says women shouldn't speak or something.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

That's a good question, I don't see anything wrong with women being ordained personally but my Tradition says no. I don't understand that fully so it's something I need to research more.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I come from the same background... And I have very strong opinions against women ordination. For one thing, they step out of their place of under man's authority. God created Adam, and then under him in submission comes Eve. And along with the verses mentioned prior of forbidding women to speak in church... its clear a woman's place is under her husband, not in a pulpit instructing him. (Of course ever since feminism swept the nation a century ago, this thinking has changed quite a bit)

1 Peter 3:1-22 - Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands;
Colossians 3:18 - Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
1 Peter 3:5 - For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:
1 Timothy 2:12 - But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Yeah a hundred years ago, that's when it all changed. There were never any female judges in the Bible. It is quite clear that in the Bible there are men and women, just like there are slaves and freemen, Jews and Gentiles.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

*sarcastically*

Oh yeah completely changed.

Even when Deborah in the Bible had a bit of authority in her hand, what did she do? She went and called Barak...and made sure she was submitted to some man. How downright foolish! She had a chance to rise up and go against Men who have cruelly treated women since the beginning of time!

Women are nothing but slaves!!! (when they submit to a man) Thank God we have been liberated and no longer need Man to direct our ways on this earth. Its a Woman and Her God completely free and independent!

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

You and I obviously read the story of Deborah very differently, well that and pretty much the whole Bible :P

You know what parts you didn't remove :P

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

:) Agreed.

What parts didn't I remove? What?

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

All those bits that got removed during the Reformation.

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

If I may add a bit to Blondie's list, we shouldn't be ordained because:

11. Men aren't physically suited to the rigorous demands

12. Men sometimes smell bad

13. Men are too gossipy

That list amazing, Blondie. It made me realize how sexist some reasons against women priests are. Still, I'm with the majority in that Catholics don't allow for women priests. But why?

Well, Jesus only chose men to spread the Word. "But Jesus was just staying in the perimeters of the expectations and traditions of the day" Yeah, Jesus was all about sticking with that stuff and not offending people.

So that tells me why, but... why? What exactly is it that prevents women being priests? They'd be equally good priests so it's not that. I really have no idea.

But at least with Catholics they can still join religious orders. (Nuns.)
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I have to nitpick a bit and say that while the Apostles were all men Jesus had many women disciples. It was the women disciples who first spread the news of the Resurrection, telling the good news to the Apostles making them Equal to the Apostles.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

*clarifying*

Is there even a question about that? God created man and women equal. But they were created for different roles. God works through women all the time, but He chooses a man when it comes to leadership in the church, in the home etc.