"Legalist" Q & A

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

"Legalist" Q & A

You all know me – the infamous legalist who judges people and treats people harshly. :D I will not use harsh language like I did in my previous trashy posts (esp. the ones before July 18, for that time I was more interested in being bold, than being polite. Things have changed since then. A few beliefs of mine are slightly revised, but nearly the same.

Now, I do not take the title of legalist anymore, but to you I am a “legalist” – one who is too strict., but ask anyways.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why do you care so much about what others do?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Would you agree with this definition of legalism?

Legalism, in Christian theology, is a usually pejorative term referring to an over-emphasis on discipline of conduct, or legal ideas, usually implying an allegation of misguided rigor, pride, superficiality, the neglect of mercy, and ignorance of the grace of God or emphasizing the letter of law at the expense of the spirit. Legalism is alleged against any view that obedience to law, not faith in God's grace, is the pre-eminent principle of redemption.

What do you think caused you to reconsider your legalism? I mean, what was the fateful event on July 18?

Do you think that God approves of legalists and legalism (don't be offended, I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm just asking)?
Last edited by ArnoldtheRubberDucky on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Wakko
Pistachio

If it's not because of your family. Than why do you hold yourself (and everyone else) to such strict standards?
EDIT: Do you celebrate Christmas?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Why do you care so much about what others do?
Give out my opinions, that's all. But, I do get carried away.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Would you agree with this definition of legalism?

Legalism, in Christian theology, is a usually pejorative term referring to an over-emphasis on discipline of conduct, or legal ideas, usually implying an allegation of misguided rigor, pride, superficiality, the neglect of mercy, and ignorance of the grace of God or emphasizing the letter of law at the expense of the spirit. Legalism is alleged against any view that obedience to law, not faith in God's grace, is the pre-eminent principle of redemption.

What do you think caused you to reconsider your legalism? I mean, what was the fateful event on July 18?

Do you think that God approves of legalists and legalism (don't be offended, I'm not saying he doesn't, I'm just asking)?
1. There is such a definition, but I'm not that type. Just, one who is strict.
2. I was originally a very rude and mean person when I came to the SS. It went so strong, I used harsh language at Sammy about here tattoes - hurt her feelings. We got reconcilied, however while I was being banned I read some of my posts, and saw that I was too mean and rude.
3. Yes, when it is Salvation by Works, or Phariseeism (Pharisee means Sepratist, BTW, just throwing this in). However this "legalism" we're talking about is strictness.
Wakko wrote:If it's not because of your family. Than why do you hold yourself (and everyone else) to such strict standards?
EDIT: Do you celebrate Christmas?
Partly, because of family. The Holiness Movement is one of the most "legalist" denominations.

Yes, what's wrong with celebrating our Lord's birth? We don't celebrate it in a fancy way, that's all.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

So you think God approves of salvation by works?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

Does your family encourage you to judge and condemn people you barely know, or is that an idea you picked up on your own? (Sorry if I seem confrontational, I didn't see any of your "judgement" posts, so I have no idea how harsh they actually are.)

Do you think the Torah is more important than the Gospels, or are they equally important, or are the Gospels more important than the Torah?

Do you believe in John Wesley's idea of "Christian perfection"?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

TigerShadow wrote:So you think God approves of salvation by works?
No. Ephesians 2:8-10.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky wrote:Does your family encourage you to judge and condemn people you barely know, or is that an idea you picked up on your own? (Sorry if I seem confrontational, I didn't see any of your "judgement" posts, so I have no idea how harsh they actually are.)

Do you think the Torah is more important than the Gospels, or are they equally important, or are the Gospels more important than the Torah?

Do you believe in John Wesley's idea of "Christian perfection"?
1. Actually, most of my ideas are from my family.
2. Actually, the Gospels are more important than the Torah. In fact, another reason why I do not mention inward is because nobody debates about inward stuff such as pride or hatred.
3. Yes, Did you read his Sermon? Sermon#40? or that Book called A Plain Account of Christian Perfection.
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I must confess I did not read his sermon or the book. I just heard about the idea somewhere and wondered if you agreed with it. Do you consider yourself or anyone you know to be a "perfect Christian"?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why do you get carried away? What makes you so upset over the actions of others?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie