God's Name

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

God's Name

Why do some members use any of these words? Curious. Using God's name is all right as long as it is used reverently, these are the phrases:
Oh my God, Oh my gosh, gosh, my gosh, gee, golly, Good God!, Great God!, ThankGod!
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Gosh, gee, and golly aren't a big deal to me, because even though they started out as slang for God's name, most people don't even remember that, and they sound so dissimilar to God's or Jesus's name that even I don't remember their etymology unless someone raises the question. But yeah, using the name of God as an expletive or exclamation is definitely not okay, because that is the name by which we know our God, and His name should not be reduced to being another word that we use when feeling a strong emotion.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Even slangs can be sin. God's name as a slang? Never.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

That's what I just said.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Gosh and Golly don't bother me that much, but gee and geez do, but some of my family even says it, so... :P

I say Oh my word at times as well.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

I use thank God. it isn't a swear word unless implied to be, but I use it in sentences like "It stopped storming, Thank God!"
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

TigerShadow wrote:Gosh, gee, and golly aren't a big deal to me, because even though they started out as slang for God's name, most people don't even remember that, and they sound so dissimilar to God's or Jesus's name that even I don't remember their etymology unless someone raises the question. But yeah, using the name of God as an expletive or exclamation is definitely not okay, because that is the name by which we know our God, and His name should not be reduced to being another word that we use when feeling a strong emotion.
Yes, basically this. I personally don't use any derivative of God's name as an exclamatory word, but it doesn't particularly bother me when other people do, because 99% of people don't realize the connection or actually mean God's name when they say them.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Belle wrote:Gosh and Golly don't bother me that much, but gee and geez do, but some of my family even says it, so... :P

I say Oh my word at times as well.
Oh my goodness & Oh my word is OK.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Saying Thank God is slang?
I say that, meaning, "Thank God" is - it's like an expression of, well, thankfulness to God for something that happened -- at least that's the only context I have used/heard it used...
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I say gosh and goodness, but that's about as far as I go :P I think that "gee" and geez" are way too close to Jesus to use them. But that's just my opinion.
Wakko
Pistachio

Gosh and goly don't bother me what so ever. I don't believe that you should use God's name in vain, but I don't believe that Thank God is taking His name in vain. I can't remember the last time someone used the word gee seriously so, I don't really have a problem with it. =p As for geez the only time I ever hear anyone say it, (or I use it) is when they're quoting Napoleon Dynamite. \:D/
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Well, "Thank God" can be used in vain if someone isn't actually thanking God. If they are, though, then it's a legitimate expression of thanksgiving to the Lord.
Wakko
Pistachio

That's what I meant to say. =p
Blitz
Moose Tracks

It is interesting. My teacher in Bible Doctrines said that the reason people use God as a swear word because it actually packs a punch. God is God which means his name matters.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

John Henry wrote:Even slangs can be sin. God's name as a slang? Never.
God's name is holy and should never be used, even loosely, for any purpose except in the highest of reverence.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

I believe I have caught myself breaking the 3rd Commandment and uttering the phrase "OMG" about twice in my life (they were both at a pretty dark time in my life, incidentally). However, that is obviously one of the most offensive things you can say, and I feel very much ashamed for ever saying it at all. I will admit to saying "oh my gosh" all the time though, and I personally don't really consider it a sin, because it's obvious that you're making a concerted effort to not say "OMG", or else you would just say it. That's pretty much the entire purpose of the word "gosh", and to say that they're both equally offensive is basically saying that we can use the words "God" and "gosh" interchangeably, which I don't believe we should. Still, I can sort of see how others would be offended, in the same way that people are sometimes offended by substitutes for swear words.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

I tend to use oh my God quite a bit, sadly, though I'm trying to stop. I do often say oh my Lorde, after the singer. xD
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

I saw a cartoon; the little kid was standing next to his dad who was sitting in a chair, and the dad says, "Heck? Heck is where you go if you don't believe in Gosh"... :? It's like a euphemism, which isn't much better than saying the real thing...
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
ArnoldtheRubberDucky
Butter Pecan

It's not like a euphenism, it is a euphenism. But tell me, what do you think the purpose of a euphenism is? Not just for God's name, but for anything. If a euphenism is "nor much better than saying the real thing", why do we have them at all? The truth is, there are people who swear, and people who don't swear. And when someone says a euphenism, their purpose is generally to distinguish themselves from people who do swear. Like, "I'm not the type of person who would say Oh my God, so I'm going to say Oh my Gosh. They may mean the same thing, but someone somewhere decided "gosh" was less offensive than "God", and we should probably abide by that definition. So, by all means, don't say Oh my gosh, but don't act like it's just as offensive as the alternative when that's the only purpose for the word: to be less offensive.
Sir Arnold, Knight of the Order of Augustine, Debate Vampire
Mr. Yorp wrote:You don't need a degree to shovel manure.
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.