The School of Alexandria

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

The School of Alexandria

What do you think about these people e.g. Clement of Alexandria, Origen, Caius of Rome.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I've read some Clement of Alexandria, he wrote good things but also held some heretical beliefs. Origen was much the same. What do you think of these people?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

What heretical beliefs?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

He didn't believe that God created the universe Ex nihilio.

He also believe that in some way Christ was created.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Origen's allegorical interpretation got him there - usually (not always) allegorical interpretation can be wrong & dangerous. He believes that the 3 baskets on the baker's head represent the Trinity.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So what do you think of these people?

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I don't know yet. What do you think of Clement of Alexandria?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I was actually referring to Clement when I said He didn't believe that God created the universe Ex nihilio.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Really, maybe he was too much influenced by Stoic Philosophy. Yet, as I understand Wisdom & 4 Maccabees have Stoic Philosophy (source: Alfred Edersheim "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah".)
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Yeah, that's a possibility. Some of the Greek philosophy was good and could be baptized into Christianity but not all of it.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Philip Schaff says that Origen was very modest in his ideas...I'll give a quote later.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Origen could have been very modest, doesn't make him any less wrong.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Yes, he probably was the strangest in his ideas. Did you know that he believes that the 3 baskets on the baker's head represent the Trinity?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I had not heard that before