Joel Osteen

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Do you like Joel Osteen?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 am

Yes
9%
No
82%
A little bit
No votes
Take it or leave it
No votes
Who cares
9%

Total votes: 11

Whitfan
Strawberry

Joel Osteen

I like Joel Osteen because he knows how to get people excited about their day/week/year. If you like him, what is it you like about him? If you don't like him, what don't you like?

I am only asking this to get opinions, and not people telling me not to like him. I just want to see different views on this subject. I still like him.
Last edited by Whitfan on Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't give up on your faith. Love comes to those who believe it. And that's the way it is."
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I don't like Joel Osteen because he preaches the prosperity gospel. So for instance this is a false teaching from Osteen. "God has already done everything He's going to do. The ball is now in your court. If you want success, if you want wisdom, if you want to be prosperous and healthy, you're going to have to do more than meditate and believe; you must boldly declare words of faith and victory over yourself and your family" We are not promised success, wisdom, prosperity, or health in this life. Scripture says expect to be persecuted and suffer trials, not get everything we want.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
GratiaDei
Cookies & Creme

Who's Joel Osteen?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

This is one of those rare occasions where I entirely agree with 11th. =P

I think Mr. Osteen has done much more harm than good as the leader of the largest church in America. He makes promises to people that are not based on the Word of God, and he is very negligent in presenting the full gospel on his programs. He preaches prosperity and happiness much more often than he preaches Christ. I do not appreciate his ministry.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I have never watched him but I saw the cover of several of his books... in the prosperity section. *rolls his eyes*
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Whitfan
Strawberry

So, most of you don't like him. That's fine. I do and most of you don't. Your choice. You can like who you like. It's not wrong for me to like him. And it's not wrong for you to not like him.
"Don't give up on your faith. Love comes to those who believe it. And that's the way it is."
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So you have no problem with the prosperity gospel?

Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

It's not morally wrong if you truly believe in what he says and not simply to feel good. Do you? Does what he says make logical sense? Can you logically refute what Eleventh and Christian said?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

So, as an example, if I truly believe that being a cannibal is the morally right thing to do, than it is and I can do that free and clear?
Whitfan
Strawberry

Guys I am not saying what you all said is wrong. Some don't like him, and some do. I believe in the prosperity gospel just as I believe in the gospel that talks about the devil and sin. Please do not make assumptions about what I believe and don't believe. Let's agree to disagree.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

My goodness, Whitifan, you're terribly uncomfortable with debating. (A lot of Protestants on this site are, really, though not quite as much as you perhaps.)
You say you believe in this "Prosperity" thing I've never heard of so at least you answered one of Eleventh Doctor and A's questions. If you believe this, shouldn't you be willing to defend it? Isn't truth worth defending? Isn't that part of the point of being Christian?
Did Jesus come to earth to say, "I am the way, the truth, and the light, but I don't want to force that on anyone, we all must be tolerant, if you don't like that idea let's agree to disagree"?
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

*Is debating on entering this debate because she has a lot to say... Hm*

Basically, I'm against it. But... whatever. If you want me to join I will, I guess.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Whitfan, if the prosperity gospel is true then why did all of the Apostles, except for John, die of persecution? Why did Christ say on the mount "Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Our reward is not here on earth, when did Christ ever promise us prosperity?

I don't agree to disagree because Joel Osteen is a false teacher who leads astray millions of people.

Whitfan
Strawberry

I do believe in the prosperity gospel because everyone has wealth in their lives. Not necessarily money. But family, friends things like that.

I just think it is something that we should debate, but learn to respect others opinions. Since I like Joel, you guys should respect that. If you like something I don't, I will still respect that. I am on another forum where I started the thread Joel Osteen and people were trying to get me to not like him and I am not gonna let that happen here. I would never brow beat you into liking certain things.

brow·beat, brow·beat·en (-btn), brow·beat·ing, brow·beats
To intimidate or subjugate by an overbearing manner or domineering speech; bully.

All I say is that Joel likes to get millions of people pumped up and happy. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so. So, what if he doesn't talk about the devil. I know that's wrong to you guys. But he doesn't want to preach what everyone else preaches. IMO, he preaches what he preaches.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

The prosperity gospel is not talking about family and friends, it is talking about money and possessions. From Osteen "God wants us to prosper financially, to have plenty of money, to fulfill the destiny He has laid out for us." That goes against the gospel message and Christianity, do not store up treasures here on earth. I'm not saying he needs to preach fire and brimstone or talk about the devil but he needs to stop teaching things that go against the teachings of Christ.

Yes, teaching people to just be pumped up and happy is wrong. 2 Timothy 4:1-4 "I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables." Osteen teaches to itching ears, the Gospel is not easy to hear or to understand. So yes what he is doing is very wrong.

I'll be honest, I suspect I will never convince you to not like Osteen, but I will not let you lead others on this forum astray with false teachings without challenging you.

Whitfan
Strawberry

I just made a poll about this to see how many people do like him. And you will not either make people like, or not like him. You will respect their decision to like him, or not. Please respect them. And please tell me in a quote how I am making people like him? If you can't, please be quiet.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I do believe in the prosperity gospel
All I say is that Joel likes to get millions of people pumped up and happy. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so.
I'm not saying you're trying to get people to like Osteen, you are how ever trying to say that the prosperity gospel is good and that there is nothing wrong with what Joel Osteen does. I am saying the prosperity gospel is false and that Osteen is a false teacher. So no, I will not respect a false teacher who is leading millions astray with false doctrine or those who defend him.

Whitfan
Strawberry

Eleventh Doctor wrote:
I do believe in the prosperity gospel
All I say is that Joel likes to get millions of people pumped up and happy. Is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so.
I'm not saying you're trying to get people to like Osteen, you are how ever trying to say that the prosperity gospel is good and that there is nothing wrong with what Joel Osteen does. I am saying the prosperity gospel is false and that Osteen is a false teacher. So no, I will not respect a false teacher who is leading millions astray with false doctrine or those who defend him.

I didn't say respect him. I said respect me for liking him. You or anyone else can't and won't convince me to like him or hate him. It's my choice. I understand you don't like what he preaches about. Now let me ask you a question: do you not believe in tithing? I know that's what he wants us to do to help in helping people all over the world. And yes you can prosper not only in money, but in your faith. Or life, love, family, your job.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Why should I respect you for liking a false teacher?

He wants you to tithe with the end result that you will benefit financially. That is not the gospel.

The point of the Christian life is not prosperity, either in money, love, or job wise. I ask again, if the Christian life is to result in prosperity then why did the Apostle die horrible deaths? Why was the early church persecuted? James says to count it joy when we face trials, Osteen's teachings are antithetical to that.