Joel Osteen

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Do you like Joel Osteen?

Poll ended at Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:42 am

Yes
9%
No
82%
A little bit
No votes
Take it or leave it
No votes
Who cares
9%

Total votes: 11

Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote:
John Henry wrote:He's strange...He looks strange.
Someone call CNN. I'm actually in agreement with John Henry.

That smile and that hair... -shudder- I know we shouldn't judge others' appearances, but personally, I think that in many ways he looks like a middle-aged Ken doll.
Hahahahahahah. Tiger wins the Internet.

Okay. I'm just going to be blunt and say I truly believe there is a special place down under for this man, as well as others like him. That's a serious statement, I'm well aware. And not all prosperians (made that word up -- don't judge) are like this. However, the majority of them are about as much of a Christian as Lucifer himself. It's all about money and numbers to them. They've created a God based on the American Dream, and chopped up and molded a "feel good gospel" to go along with it. They aren't actually teaching about God... They're trying to fill their pockets.

That is all.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Yeah, Korean Churches teach a type of "Prosperity Gospel".
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Korean Churches? Is that a specific denomination?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I think he just means that most korean ethnic churches teach that gospel.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

That's a pretty bad stereotype considering how many different denominations have churches in Korea.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Even in America there are churches that are korean churches. They speak mainly korean. And I agree it is a terrible stereotype.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

We have missionaries in South Korea, and we are not a prosperity mission board.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I mean Korean Presbyterian Churches.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Which of these 100 Korean Presbyterian denominations teach the prosperity gospel? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyteri ... outh_Korea

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Oh come one, the word blessing in Korean is either 복 or 축복. But, 복 means blessing by money & etc. 축복 simply means blessing. But, sometimes the word blessing is mistranslated. My relatives on my mother's side of the family are Presbyterians...
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Okay the word is mistranslated sometime, do you have quotes from Presbyterian pastors where they teach the prosperity gospel? Do your relatives believe in the prosperity gospel? And even if they do, maybe not judge all Korean Presbyterians by a few?

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

And wouldn't you know it, I make a remark comparing Joel Osteen to a Ken Doll and lo and behold, I found this article: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/man ... 47362.html
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Let's get back to topic - Why does Mr. Olsteen say that the Apostles are wrong?
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

If you read the source I posted, you'd have your answer. (It's from a Christian website, I think.)
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Okay, Mr Osteen - how did he do his hair?
Wakko
Pistachio

With hair gel? Does it really matter how he does his hair?
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I think it does. That hair might be possessed. No one's hair can possibly look like that through any act of nature.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

TigerShadow wrote:I think it does. That hair might be possessed. No one's hair can possibly look like that through any act of nature.
Hahahahahahah. Tiger is still champion.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

TigerShadow wrote:I think it does. That hair might be possessed. No one's hair can possibly look like that through any act of nature.
Oh no! Let's prepare the hair gel remover.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

What are we gonna do?