Duggar Debate

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Belle wrote:Tbh, I'm sick of people now criticizing everything the Duggars do. Amy has her baby, and Josh and his sister make an announcement, and people are mad that it isn't his wife and how dare his sister make the announcement with him.

Then it's their wedding picture. Michelle and Jim Bob got married at 17 and 19. AHhh, how dare they be so young that's just so wrong..

I wish the media would just stop covering them so much. Their show is cancelled, now please just let them fade away into obscurity.
That's not what we're criticizing, though? i'd like to see where people are criticizing those things, because I haven't seen it whatsoever. The things that we and everyone else are talking about both in this thread and other places deserve to be criticized.

And the media did kind of stop covering them, it just started back up because TLC officially canceled the show recently. I'm sure it will all fade back down again soon.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Audrey wrote:
Belle wrote:Tbh, I'm sick of people now criticizing everything the Duggars do. Amy has her baby, and Josh and his sister make an announcement, and people are mad that it isn't his wife and how dare his sister make the announcement with him.

Then it's their wedding picture. Michelle and Jim Bob got married at 17 and 19. AHhh, how dare they be so young that's just so wrong..

I wish the media would just stop covering them so much. Their show is cancelled, now please just let them fade away into obscurity.
That's not what we're criticizing, though? i'd like to see where people are criticizing those things, because I haven't seen it whatsoever. The things that we and everyone else are talking about both in this thread and other places deserve to be criticized.

And the media did kind of stop covering them, it just started back up because TLC officially canceled the show recently. I'm sure it will all fade back down again soon.
No no, I don't mean here. I agree with what you're criticizing here. :P I meant on the regular news. Yeah, hopefully it'll stop soon. >_>
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Did you read the curriculum Clara posted?
Yes, I read it.
ClaraOswald wrote:For example: the abuser could say "oh she was immodestly dressed so it's not my fault".
I read it as saying the abused could find fault with the choices she made in letting this happen. Not that the abuser can walk away free in any case, but maybe I'm wrong. But I don't think we can all point to this curriculum and point to it as the common cause, no more than we can say, "They have all read the Bible. Thus the Bible must encourage abuse." The truth of the matter is that they sinned. You don't just "sin" if you are have a good relationship with God. Somewhere along the line they fell, and kept falling, until it got to what it did. Maybe this curriculum, is teaching things wrongly, I'm not arguing with that. I just think it's a poor argument to blame this as the cause.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

This curriculum made me sick. I do agree with Belle though that (although I want continued general criticism of not acting upon abuse and of curriculum like this) trying to find dirt to dig up about one family in particular is just cruel especially when some of their "dirt" isn't really important.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Miss Friendship wrote: I read it as saying the abused could find fault with the choices she made in letting this happen. Not that the abuser can walk away free in any case, but maybe I'm wrong.
I want to believe that's what Gothard and Co. meant when they wrote it, but the way they wrote it gives room for people to justify their actions.
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

I don't like the phrase "in letting this happen" people do not let themselves be abused.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

So, in light of the more recent events, do you guys think that Anna is doing the right thing in staying with Josh? Or should she leave him, as she has every right to do?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

ClaraOswald wrote:So, in light of the more recent events, do you guys think that Anna is doing the right thing in staying with Josh? Or should she leave him, as she has every right to do?
Not sure what's right in that situation anymore. But if she did leave, where would she go, what would she do? Wouldn't that make the situation somewhat worse especially for the children?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

Oh, dear Lord, not this topic again. Can we not just leave their business that we know noting about alone?
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Bethany Shepard wrote:Oh, dear Lord, not this topic again. Can we not just leave their business that we know noting about alone?
I'm afraid the SS enjoys chewing over this too much. After all, what's better than scorn for biblical-conservatives-that-don't-turn-out-to-be-so? :|

*hides in some jungle in Africa*

SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Agreed...why are people still talking about this?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

SirWhit wrote:Agreed...why are people still talking about this?
Cause people love role models falling. And gossip.
Debate Vampire

Everyone (Blitz doesn't count) fears ninjas, except for one: I, Ninjahunter

Can you change me from the monster you made me? Monster: Starset
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

I know it's not my business. But if the same situation happened to me, I would leave him. Cheating is 100% not okay in my book. Even if they did talk it out, I don't think any relationship could be the same or near as good after something like that. I feel sad for her because honestly, it's likely that she's being pushed to stay with him, whether it be because of the kids or because divorce simply isn't an option in that family. I wish her and her family the best no matter what.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Blitz
Moose Tracks

Would you stop complaining about others opinions? You know a lot of people stay even if the other person cheats. Nothing is really irreparable. I mean aren't we supposed to forgive ever thing?
Debate Vampire

Audrey
Cookies & Creme

Blitz wrote:Would you stop complaining about others opinions? You know a lot of people stay even if the other person cheats. Nothing is really irreparable. I mean aren't we supposed to forgive ever thing?
How was I complaining? Just offering an opinion on the question that was asked.

I do believe some things are irreparable; they can be repaired in a way or partially, but never how they once were.

We are supposed to forgive everything. The fact that Anna has forgiven Josh is remarkable in my opinion, I don't know if I could. But forgive and forget is not in the Bible. Yes, we should forgive so we are no longer bitter; that is in the Bible. But that doesn't mean that we then have to, say, move back in with an abusive or cheating spouse, or continue to live with a brother who violated you in extremely inappropriate ways. You can forgive, wish them the best in their lives, and then MOVE ON, all while still having forgiven the person. Forgiving does not mean that you then have to continue being with the person even after their mistakes. It means to stop feeling angry or resentful towards someone.
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

*pops in*

I think that might be true if he wasn't striving to change. He's purposed to temporarily separate himself at a rehab center to get help. I think if he wasn't trying, it might be different.

*pops out*
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Woody
Cookies & Creme

So this broke yesterday.

"You'll never be far, I'm keeping you near, inside of my heart, you're here." ~Owl City, Gold
Tarol
Peach Cobbler

OH MY GOODNESS. I got to "Jezebel" before I realized what this was. THAT WAS AWFUL. xD
xo eht haiasi-
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

I'm confused, he said he tries to be like Jesus or Mike Pence, but what's the difference?
Blitz
Moose Tracks

I had a feeling that was a joke. When I hit the whole Jezebel thing.... And the five times per night..... Ugh.... Now I'm gonna have to go puke. *Goes and shudders in a corner.
Debate Vampire