Duggar Debate

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

I believe Eleventh is referring to what he perceives as their attempts to keep Josh's actions concealed from police, which is illegal, as opposed to not informing the mass media.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

As Tiger said, I'm not saying they needed to alert the media but the police, by not doing so they broke the law.

They didn't go to the police, they were wrong. That's all I'm saying.

I would argue that the Duggars didn't educate their children in that regard. The ATI material they use would not have taught them this is wrong.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

It is interesting how not judging others goes out the window at times like this.
LIVE in color, but 1968 color nonetheless
--A very misguided Panasonic viewer
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
I know Martin is smiling down.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I'm simply saying that there were actions that should have been taken that were not and that ATI teachings seem to promote this kind of activity, by the Duggars own admission.

It is also interesting how some who are so quick to condemn homosexuals are rushing to the defense of a child molester.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I'm simply saying that there were actions that should have been taken that were not and that ATI teachings seem to promote this kind of activity, by the Duggars own admission.

It is also interesting how some who are so quick to condemn homosexuals are rushing to the defense of a child molester.
I am not rushing to his defense. I am simply saying that that's alot to lay on the head of a fourteen year old boy.
In the movie "The Bad Seed", the mother fears that if she reveals her daughter's murderous activities, she will be placed in an institution and be examined. They have reasons.
TigerShadow wrote:
I think Disney should focus on making their line more ethnically diverse instead of focusing on more white girls.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I'm not actually laying any of those on Josh's head. He was 14 after all, I think the blame lies with the parents first for not instructing their child, then for covering this up, and finally not getting help for Josh or the girls.

So I've asked this before and you didn't answer, by citing The Bad Seed are you supporting the nature over nurture view?

DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:I'm not actually laying any of those on Josh's head. He was 14 after all, I think the blame lies with the parents first for not instructing their child, then for covering this up, and finally not getting help for Josh or the girls.

So I've asked this before and you didn't answer, by citing The Bad Seed are you supporting the nature over nurture view?
Whoa, whoa, whoa! I am not a big believer in that stuff, but I think that the parents actually were fearfull of their child's future and thus started trying to cover it up. To them, it probably seemed like a perfectly good idea at the time, until he did it again, and by then they were up to their ears in cover ups, so confessing by then would have been even worse.
TigerShadow wrote:
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

True, they did what they thought was good at the time and confessing after having covered it up would have put them in an even worse situation. I can empathize with the parents for having to make such a hard decision but they still made the wrong decision.

DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:True, they did what they thought was good at the time and confessing after having covered it up would have put them in an even worse situation. I can empathize with the parents for having to make such a hard decision but they still made the wrong decision.
For once, I totally agree. I think they were scared out of their wits.
TigerShadow wrote:
aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Can we just freeze dry this beautiful moment of agreement to cherish forever?
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

aragtaghooligan wrote:Can we just freeze dry this beautiful moment of agreement to cherish forever?
I second this. :lol:
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
DredgeAmazing
Cookies & Creme

aragtaghooligan wrote:Can we just freeze dry this beautiful moment of agreement to cherish forever?
First, let's freeze dry this brilliant sarcasm.
TigerShadow wrote:
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

DredgeAmazing wrote:
First, let's freeze dry this brilliant sarcasm.
Believe it or not, she was being serious. Maybe you can't comprehend that, but yeah...
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

aragtaghooligan
Fudge Marble

Uh, Dredge I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm a really not very sarcastic human. I can barely comprehend the sarcasm of others. I love it when people are nice to each other and try to get along and I was truly and sincerely reveling in you mutual comprehension of one another.
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I was doing a bit of research the other day (idk why I just sort of ran into a few articles and kept going), and I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. Bill Gothard, who *used to* run ATI, which is the curriculum that the Duggars use and used way back then as part of their homeschooling, has some things on sexual abuse, that almost make it out to be the victims fault.
And there's a strange pattern going on here. Doug Philips, founder of Vision Forum, used this curriculum with his family, and look at all the trouble he got into. Then Bill himself was found to have molested sixteen year old girls in his office. Ouch. Mind you, this was 20-30 years ago. And it didn't get reported, until last year. Then out comes this thing with Josh. Does it have anything to do with this curriculum that millions are reading? Maybe.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Thank you for posting this curriculum, I've been looking for a way to post this on here. I think this curriculum did contribute to the series of events you've mentioned.

Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

How would it? How could does this curriculum make allowance for abuse?

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Did you read the curriculum Clara posted?

Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

For example: the abuser could say "oh she was immodestly dressed so it's not my fault".
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Tbh, I'm sick of people now criticizing everything the Duggars do. Amy has her baby, and Josh and his sister make an announcement, and people are mad that it isn't his wife and how dare his sister make the announcement with him.

Then it's their wedding picture. Michelle and Jim Bob got married at 17 and 19. AHhh, how dare they be so young that's just so wrong..

I wish the media would just stop covering them so much. Their show is cancelled, now please just let them fade away into obscurity.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~