Page 1 of 19

Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm
by gabbygirl17
Soooooo I was wondering what you guys believe about women wearing pants? Is it wrong? Is it okay?

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:02 pm
by godisawesomeness99
I think it's ok...

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 pm
by gabbygirl17
godisawesomeness99 wrote:I think it's ok...
How come? (lol sorry just wondering ;)

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:00 pm
by godisawesomeness99
I mean..... is there a verse in the bible that says women should not wear pants? :D

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 pm
by gabbygirl17
godisawesomeness99 wrote:I mean..... is there a verse in the bible that says women should not wear pants? :D
The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God. Deuteronomy 22:5

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:41 pm
by Striped Leopard
Who says pants are only for men? Men used to wear togas back in the early days of the church. Does that mean women shouldn't wear dresses, because they used to be men's clothes?

The thing is, although pants didn't used to be women's clothes... they are now. It's a part of our culture that women wear pants. Yes, I know, we aren't supposed to be conformed to the pattern of this world. But it's not like we go around with afros, tie-dye, and white-washed jeans, just so we can be different. It's okay to dress like the culture, just as long as in doing so, you aren't enticing others to sin. In our culture, it has become the norm for women to wear pants. It is not immodest for women to do so; therefore, I don't believe that it's unbiblical.

And besides, if we're going to pick and choose that verse out of Deuteronomy, we might as well also forbid seafood, polyester, and razors, since all of those things are forbidden in the Mosaic laws in Deuteronomy, Leviticus, etc.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm
by Pound Foolish
There is but one thing to say. Brief, but true.
What-ever.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm
by gabbygirl17
But God never changes His mind though! We are to be set APART from the world not of it! Also Men in the Bible times wore pant like things under their robes. Women didn't. Can you back up your thing with Scripture? In the Bible it says to be MODEST....pants on women is not modesty... Also if I went out in the world how could I tell which people are Christians if I looked just by the way they dress???? They wouldn't "stand out" like we are told to do in the Bible.

Also there are things that we have to "update" because of our culture....BUT that we dont need to on pants.

And PF I am sorry if this is uninteresting thing topic, but its a good matter to discuss

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 pm
by arwen
Hahaha @PF

I think I'll stay out of this one.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm
by Oliver
@Gabby pants on women are very modest!

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:52 pm
by Belle
gabbygirl17 wrote:But God never changes His mind though!
Are we still under the law of Moses? No, we aren't because Jesus became the new law, so God didn't 'change his mind', replacing the law was all of his plan from the beginning.

So, as Christian said, if you are going to pick out that verse and say that it still applies, what about the other laws of Moses?
gabbygirl17 wrote:But God never changes His mind though! We are to be set APART from the world not of it! Also Men in the Bible times wore pant like things under their robes. Women didn't. Can you back up your thing with Scripture? In the Bible it says to be MODEST....pants on women is not modesty...
Where in the bible does it say that the definition of modesty is wearing dresses?
gabbygirl17 wrote:Also if I went out in the world how could I tell which people are Christians if I looked just by the way they dress???? They wouldn't "stand out" like we are told to do in the Bible.
Standing out isn't just a matter of dressing. You can still tell someone is a Christian even if they are wearing pants, if they show the light of God. Even if a girl is wearing a skirt, it doesn't mean that she is a Christian.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 am
by NinjaThrowingStar
I do not think its "wrong" for women to wear pants. But it would be wrong for a Christian women to wear pants if she has been convicted to do other wise. This is not a matter of right and wrong, but more a matter of spiritual maturity and personal convictions. (Just like drinking, dating, movie ratings, music etc.) There are the very obvious wrongs, (drawing the attention of others to the wrong places...) and then there are the not-so-wrongs... Like jeans. For some, they personally find it wrong, but others have no problem with it.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:14 am
by gabbygirl17
God's Girl wrote:
gabbygirl17 wrote:But God never changes His mind though!
Are we still under the law of Moses? No, we aren't because Jesus became the new law, so God didn't 'change his mind', replacing the law was all of his plan from the beginning.

So, as Christian said, if you are going to pick out that verse and say that it still applies, what about the other laws of Moses?
gabbygirl17 wrote:But God never changes His mind though! We are to be set APART from the world not of it! Also Men in the Bible times wore pant like things under their robes. Women didn't. Can you back up your thing with Scripture? In the Bible it says to be MODEST....pants on women is not modesty...
Where in the bible does it say that the definition of modesty is wearing dresses?
gabbygirl17 wrote:Also if I went out in the world how could I tell which people are Christians if I looked just by the way they dress???? They wouldn't "stand out" like we are told to do in the Bible.
Standing out isn't just a matter of dressing. You can still tell someone is a Christian even if they are wearing pants, if they show the light of God. Even if a girl is wearing a skirt, it doesn't mean that she is a Christian.
Are we still under the law of Moses? No, we aren't because Jesus became the new law, so God didn't 'change his mind', replacing the law was all of his plan from the beginning
.

I already posted something about that: Also there are things that we have to "update" because of our culture....BUT that we dont need to on pants.

How can you tell if someone is a Christian if they wear pants? If you just saw them from the outside. If you saw a girl that: wore a skirt, no jewelry, very modest, and looked modest what would you think? (sorry If I am offending anyone)

Post subject: Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants? Reply with quote
@Gabby pants on women are very modest!
How?

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:44 am
by ejmade
I'm reading though the bible and when i came across that verse in Deuteronomy i wondered the same thing. In the bible men and woman both wore dresses. Does that mean we should all wear dresses because we are Christians? I wear pants, and my grandmother does and she is a very strong Christian. I will talk to her later and see what she says about this topic and then post again.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 am
by Eleventh Doctor
Also I'm curious about this, why do people need to be able to tell a woman is a Christian just by the way they dress? I hear this a lot but have never heard the reasoning behind it.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:52 am
by Striped Leopard
Eleventh Doctor wrote:Also I'm curious about this, why do people need to be able to tell a woman is a Christian just by the way they dress? I hear this a lot but have never heard the reasoning behind it.
Yes, same here. Why do you act like the Bible says that people need to recognize us as Christians just because of the way we dress?

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:58 am
by Joy
Let's reverse the scenario.
What if all the women in the world wore skirts? should Christian women wear pants/jeans just so they can look different, not conform to the world, and "stand out"?
It's the exact same thing.

I have no problem with girls wearing skirts....that's their choice that they made, or a rule that their parents made. The thing we are discussing here is whether wearing pants is wrong.
^not addressing anything with that statement, just saying.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:19 pm
by Belle
gabbygirl17 wrote:How can you tell if someone is a Christian if they wear pants? If you just saw them from the outside. If you saw a girl that: wore a skirt, no jewelry, very modest, and looked modest what would you think? (sorry If I am offending anyone)
To reverse your question a little bit, what would you think if you saw a girl who wore jeans that fit well (not too tight), a t-shirt that wasn't low-cut, and maybe a necklace or earrings, and had on little to no make-up?

Would you automatically assume that she couldn't be a Christian because of what she is wearing?

And then there's this:
Christian A. wrote:
Eleventh Doctor wrote:Also I'm curious about this, why do people need to be able to tell a woman is a Christian just by the way they dress? I hear this a lot but have never heard the reasoning behind it.
Yes, same here. Why do you act like the Bible says that people need to recognize us as Christians just because of the way we dress?
You will remember what I said in my previous post:
God's Girl wrote:Standing out isn't just a matter of dressing. You can still tell someone is a Christian even if they are wearing pants, if they show the light of God. Even if a girl is wearing a skirt, it doesn't mean that she is a Christian.

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:30 pm
by gabbygirl17
Romans 12:2 ESV /

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Also I want you guys to know that I AM NOT saying just because you wear pants I am condemning you! lol! I know people who wear pants and are Christians. :)

But What would you say about Deuteronomy 22:5??

Re: Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:03 pm
by Aaron Wiley
I can't think of anything more unacceptable for women to be doing. It SPECIFICALLY says in II James 4:2 "And let your women not wear denim, for it be a shameful thing for the house of God." and Abner 5:17 "...Like the despicable and rebellious hand maidens of Job who chose to wear jeans on the tabernacle which were smited by the hand of the Lord".

The Bible is so clear about this stuff, I don't know WHY you guys are even bothering to debate it.