Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Post Reply

Women wearing pants?

Yes, its fine
55
76%
No
8
11%
I dont care
6
8%
I am not sure
0
No votes
I guess so
3
4%
 
Total votes: 72

User avatar
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple
Posts: 638
Joined: May 2012
Contact:

Post

CreativeThinker101 wrote:
fodo14 wrote:I hope women wear pants.........
Wait... what? Why? Are you saying they don't look better in skirts?
No I'm saying I hope they wear something, but who cares he they wear pants.
User avatar
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 339
Joined: May 2012
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Post

gabbygirl17 wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote:So far, Sparky, almost everyone has a agreed that wearing jeans is fine. So no worries. Actually, wearing tight jeans isn't necessarily so wrong either. It doesn't reveal any actual skin, and after all, there's nothing you-know-what-ual about legs.

But tight jeans show your figure. Causing people (males) to not really look at the right things....
Agreed. I'm fine with females wearing pants, but when it becomes so tight that not much is left up to the imagination, I don't find it totally innocent anymore. I mean, sure, I'm partly to blame for filling in the rest with my imagination, but it wasn't very thoughtful of the girl/woman to make that easier for me.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
User avatar
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough
Posts: 1862
Joined: September 2012
Location: NC, USA

Post

@ Gabby: Oh, okay :D That's cool!

Vision Forum: http://www.visionforum.com/about/default.aspx
I really like a bunch of their material. They're really good!
Image
User avatar
Floral Filly
Caramel Crunch
Posts: 196
Joined: February 2013
Location: The Stable

Post

Joy wrote:Okay, let's address that verse. I was thinking about this, and I have an answer for you. There's another part of my answer, but I'll post that another day. I don't have time.
Crossdressing is really about intent. And not going to a guys store and picking out things there. That's wrong. I exclude that from what I'm going to say.
When I wear a pear of jeans/pants, I'm not thinking "I'm dressing like a guy, and I want to." No, I'm thinking "Boy these feel comfy." When I go to my friends house in a pair of jeans, my friend is most likely not thinking "Gross, Joy is totally dressing like a guy. I told her that was wrong." When I go home to my family, they are not thinking "Joy is crossdressing!!!!! She shouldn't be doing that!!!!" They will be thinking "oh, Joy got a new pair of jeans."
Society does not consider wearing jeans crossdressing. Not that we should follow everything that the society is saying/thinking, but when I go out to eat, the waiter giving me my food will not think "Woah, that girl is crossdressing. Disgusting."
I am not in any way wearing guys clothing, simply because practically no one thinks I am, including myself. That's not my intent.
Humanity is doing a whole lot different things then they used to. If I live in....the Yukon, a really cold part of Canada, I will not wear a tank top (not that I actually wear those) and short shorts (<what I said before). our environment and what happens determines what we do and wear.

I can be confusing, and an awful debater at times, but I hope what I'm saying is clear to everyone. If it's not, please say so. :)

EDIT: Thank you, Eleventh Doctor, for stealing part of what I'm saying. I won't address anything that has been said after I've finished writing all this, since I don't really have time. ;)
Joy is right. Unless you shop in a guys store for your clothes, it's not crossdressing. I wear jeans everyday! I wear them to church, because I don't like dresses. I ocassionally wear dresses and skirts, but it doesn't matter if I wear jeans to church, because no one cares! Alot of the girls at my church wear jeans. I'm not against any of you who think it wrong, I'm just saying my opinion. :) Look at my signature. God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...
No offense, gabby and others. Just my opinion.
Image
Love God, and Love Horses. ~My motto
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti
Posts: 3342
Joined: June 2012
Location: Kidsboro
Contact:

Post

CreativeThinker101 wrote:I have nothing to say on this matter. Frankly, I'm still marveling over the fact that you guys have made 77 posts debating the subject of whether or not women should wear pants.
As Sammy would say: Time. For. Like. Button.
I think we can stop ganging up on Gabby, almost no one agrees with her. So let's give her a break. It's obvious jeans are fin. Period. End of story. Gabby, thank you for this interesting discussion, and please realize nobody thinks there's anything wrong with your ideas. Dress however you like, girl.
As to my statement about tight jeans, people... The premise you've put forward is you need to avoid tight jeans because they'll cause men to, ahh, react. Frankly, this sounds like another form of self-flattery, though I'm sure you don't realize it (Oh, I need to always dress modestly or boys will so-oh notice and slip up.)
Right. I'm sure there's not vanity there. (Not that there's anything wrong with vanity. *smiles into mirror*)
Anyhow, personally, I'm a guy (despite my awesome new look) and I never have emotions which feel a thing like lust. I sometimes notice and appreciate tight jeans, but in the way I would notice a lock of hair dyed pink, or a pretty mole, or a cute bow.
Now, let's admit something: if you're pretty, and most girls are, then you can arouse lust. Period. There's no way you can dress to prevent that. And some men will drool at even the tiniest provocation, like tight jeans. However, you can't walk everywhere wearing a savannah. So, you have to find a middle ground. And what that middle ground is... is a matter of opinion.
Dress according to your style. Your conscience. Your heart. And let no one tell you that you can't.
One get's sick and tired of seeing the way girls get pushed around. And that's why I've posted so much here, Mr. Thinker.
And that's what it means to be an individual.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
User avatar
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio
Posts: 1010
Joined: May 2012
Location: Touring Canada and the USA
Contact:

Post

For the record, I have several pairs of skinny jeans that I bought in the girls section, because they were cheaper than in the guys section.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
User avatar
Renae
Fudge Marble
Posts: 819
Joined: August 2012
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

Post

And I have also bought gym pants from the men's section because the women ones were not allowed at my school... :?

And by the by lb.Foolish (<<see what I did there ;) ) , I reeeeaaaallly liked what you said right here:
So, you have to find a middle ground. And what that middle ground is... is a matter of opinion.
Dress according to your style. Your conscience. Your heart.
Image
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
User avatar
Jason
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 354
Joined: May 2012

Post

Pound Foolish wrote: So, you have to find a middle ground. And what that middle ground is... is a matter of opinion.
Dress according to your style. Your conscience. Your heart. And let no one tell you that you can't.
One get's sick and tired of seeing the way girls get pushed around.
To an extent I agree with you. I realize that this topic is mostly about pants but it has also entered discussion about modesty. To an extent I agree with your above statement. However, on the flip side I don't. Parents play an important role in establishing what is appropriate to wear and what isn't. What a peron wears says a lot about what a person values. You are right that it is a choice, but that choice sends messages.

My other thought is that schools often have dress codes. To say to "Not let an one tell you that you can't" are you saying to rebel about schools, and parents for that matter? While I can't say that schools are entirely correct with everything they do, the Bible does say to honor the authority that has been placed over you. And I needn't mention that the Bible says to honor our parents right? Now I do realize that individualism is important, and at some point we begin establishing our own image. But it still comes back to; The choices you make both in clothing and actions, reflects the image that you create for yourself.
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

And all those considerations should factor into your decision and yes if you're going to a school with a dress code then follow that dress code, I went to a college with a somewhat strict dress code and I followed it, and yes your parents should guide you in your decisions. And of course what decisions you make affect the image you're presenting. I think the point that my side has been trying to make is that there is no one right decision that the Bible clearly dictates that says how we should all dress.
Last edited by Eleventh Doctor on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti
Posts: 3342
Joined: June 2012
Location: Kidsboro
Contact:

Post

Well one of us boys has to take the girl's side, Jason, you male chauvinist. :P
Thanks, Eleventh Doctor. And Aaron, that's hilarious. I have to go there to get my Emily-green tutus, as well.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
User avatar
Renae
Fudge Marble
Posts: 819
Joined: August 2012
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

Post

@Le Brother of mine
I totally agree! See that's why I ended my quote just THERE. :D

And like I've said before, at this point in my life its about what my parents say. In some areas I may not think as strict as they do, but I still obey. On the other hand, sometimes I even choose to put my boundaries further than what my parents require. (ex. I'm allowed to wear pencil skirts but I choose NOT to, personal conviction. Same goes with heels and mascara...)
Image
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
User avatar
Jason
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 354
Joined: May 2012

Post

Pound Foolish wrote:Well one of us boys has to take the girl's side, Jason, you male chauvinist. :P
Thanks, Eleventh Doctor. And Aaron, that's hilarious. I have to go there to get my Emily-green tutus, as well.
I'm not taking a side "against girls", I'm taking a side for modesty. You make it sound like enforcing modesty restricts freedom, and puts girls down. That's where I disagree. Modesty simply makes people focus on what's on the inside instead of drawing attention to specific features.

As to the subject of women wearing pants, I would have to agree that that verse is more restricted to that time. Fashion today is idfferent, and there are girl's pants and guys pants. The bigger issue is when Guys wear women's clothing.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti
Posts: 3342
Joined: June 2012
Location: Kidsboro
Contact:

Post

So why say all that to me? Was I taking a stand against modesty? Nnnn-nope. If you think so, tell me where.
I suppose that's true Jason. But we all know men shouldn't wear women's clothing except tutus and except maybe dressing as Snow White for a costume party.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
User avatar
Jason
Cookies & Creme
Posts: 354
Joined: May 2012

Post

Pound Foolish wrote:So why say all that to me? Was I taking a stand against modesty? Nnnn-nope. If you think so, tell me where.
I suppose that's true Jason. But we all know men shouldn't wear women's clothing except tutus and except maybe dressing as Snow White for a costume party.
Because from some of your comments it's hard to tell where exactly you stand... Maybe I got the wrong impresssion, however from these quotes;
So, you have to find a middle ground. And what that middle ground is... is a matter of opinion.
Dress according to your style. Your conscience. Your heart. And let no one tell you that you can't.
One get's sick and tired of seeing the way girls get pushed around.
Well one of us boys has to take the girl's side, Jason, you male chauvinist.
I got the impression that you sided more towards (?) and more or less against what I had to say.
User avatar
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip
Posts: 3588
Joined: May 2012
Location: Michigan

Post

Pound Foolish wrote:
I firmly believe that the principles behind old testament laws apply to us just as much as they did to the Israelites, as they come from God who is unchanging.
So tell me, TS, what principle is selling your daughter into slavery based on?
This doesn't really apply to what I had in mind. Slavery is permitted throughout the Old Testament, as is divorce, but neither is endorsed or encouraged by God. It was not made to be a part of the law, God chose not to forbid it. It's the absence of law, not the presence of law.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
User avatar
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle
Posts: 4766
Joined: February 2013

Post

And the gold medal in mental gymnastics goes to T.S.!

So there are no laws concerning slavery in Exodus or Leviticus? Because if there were that would mean a presence of law right?

Also just out of curiosity do you wear clothes of only one material with tassels? Because that is endorsed, encouraged, one might even say commanded by God in the Old Testament.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
User avatar
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip
Posts: 3588
Joined: May 2012
Location: Michigan

Post

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So there are no laws concerning slavery in Exodus or Leviticus? Because if there were that would mean a presence of law right?
I didn't say that. I said (or at least tried to say) that there were no laws that said slavery must go on. There are plenty of laws that regulate slavery or deal with slavery, but none that force its existence.
Eleventh Doctor wrote:Also just out of curiosity do you wear clothes of only one material with tassels? Because that is endorsed, encouraged, one might even say commanded by God in the Old Testament.
No, I do not. And yes, that was commanded by God. But the law relates to the Israelites, in Israel, before the birth of Christ.We are not bound to follow it. Christ fulfilled the law so we do not have to. The principle, or founding idea of the law, or you might say the intended result of the law, was for the Israelites to distinguish themselves from the rest of the world. It has been suggested that clothing made of multiple materials was associated with prostitution. If this is true, it makes sense that God would not want His people to be associated with the world in this way.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti
Posts: 3342
Joined: June 2012
Location: Kidsboro
Contact:

Post

Jason:
To say to "Not let anyone one tell you that you can't" are you saying to rebel about schools, and parents for that matter?
That long paragraph of yours (a few posts back) was quite a bit to make out of one quick statement. Anyhow, think what you like about me calling you a chauvinist, but what it comes down is sometimes... well, often... I'm not in the mood to be serious. In any case, I have no idea if people should rebel against dress codes. I don't go to a public school, and I have no idea what I'd do if I were a girl in such a situation... especially since I'm not a girl, so that makes it even more difficult...
As to parents, again, we all need to act according to our conscience and heart. And if that means following how your parents tell you to dress, then go for it. I'm sure you'd go much farther than that in this girls-must-dress-as-parents-deem-wise-and-good philosophy. But as for me, I'm done. I know you'll find a way to disagree with me, and this has been lovely, really. But one's interest only goes so far, and I've said my piece.
T.S. (myself) wrote:No, I do not. And yes, that was commanded by God. But the law relates to the Israelites, in Israel, before the birth of Christ.We are not bound to follow it. Christ fulfilled the law so we do not have to. The principle, or founding idea of the law, or you might say the intended result of the law, was for the Israelites to distinguish themselves from the rest of the world.
I'm sure selling your daughter into slavery would differentiate you from a lot of people in the rest of the world. But frankly, I doubt the daughter would care. And all the laws over the Hebrews and Christians come in one way or another from God (after all, they're right alongside important laws on *ex and such that hadn't been around before.)
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
User avatar
Floral Filly
Caramel Crunch
Posts: 196
Joined: February 2013
Location: The Stable

Post

Pound Foolish wrote:As Sammy would say: Time. For. Like. Button.
I think we can stop ganging up on Gabby, almost no one agrees with her. So let's give her a break. It's obvious jeans are fin. Period. End of story. Gabby, thank you for this interesting discussion, and please realize nobody thinks there's anything wrong with your ideas. Dress however you like, girl.
As to my statement about tight jeans, people... The premise you've put forward is you need to avoid tight jeans because they'll cause men to, ahh, react. Frankly, this sounds like another form of self-flattery, though I'm sure you don't realize it (Oh, I need to always dress modestly or boys will so-oh notice and slip up.)
Right. I'm sure there's not vanity there. (Not that there's anything wrong with vanity. *smiles into mirror*)
Anyhow, personally, I'm a guy (despite my awesome new look) and I never have emotions which feel a thing like lust. I sometimes notice and appreciate tight jeans, but in the way I would notice a lock of hair dyed pink, or a pretty mole, or a cute bow.
Now, let's admit something: if you're pretty, and most girls are, then you can arouse lust. Period. There's no way you can dress to prevent that. And some men will drool at even the tiniest provocation, like tight jeans. However, you can't walk everywhere wearing a savannah. So, you have to find a middle ground. And what that middle ground is... is a matter of opinion.
Dress according to your style. Your conscience. Your heart. And let no one tell you that you can't.
One get's sick and tired of seeing the way girls get pushed around. And that's why I've posted so much here, Mr. Thinker.
And that's what it means to be an individual.
I think he's right. We should give her a break. If I offended you gabby, pardon me and any others I may have offended as well. I will now, take my leave. :)
Image
Love God, and Love Horses. ~My motto
Totally His
Chocolate Chip
Posts: 35
Joined: December 2012

Post

Can I say something really quick?
When I go shopping, it's really hard to find modest dresses. I like wearing nice jeans over short dresses and low necks... Just saying.

I know there are stores that are better than others, but their hard to find!
The greatest single cause for atheists in the world today, is Christians. Who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, and walk out the door, and deny him with their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.
Post Reply