Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Women wearing pants?

Yes, its fine
76%
No
11%
I dont care
8%
I am not sure
No votes
I guess so
4%

Total votes: 72

Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

As far as Romans what would you say to Joy's question? What if all the women in the world wore skirts? should Christian women wear pants/jeans just so they can look different, not conform to the world, and "stand out"?

What I would say about Deuteronomy is this: do you wear tassels on your clothes that are made of only one type of fabric?

@Aaron, but I thought all good Christian girls wore denim jumpers? I'm so confused :P
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

Oh, jumpers, especially denim ones.....I hardly even remember such a thing.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:As far as Romans what would you say to Joy's question? What if all the women in the world wore skirts? should Christian women wear pants/jeans just so they can look different, not conform to the world, and "stand out"?

What I would say about Deuteronomy is this: do you wear tassels on your clothes that are made of only one type of fabric?

@Aaron, but I thought all good Christian girls wore denim jumpers? I'm so confused :P

You would do whatever the Bible says! The Bible says NOT to wear mens clothes!

What?
Last edited by gabbygirl17 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Pants were men's clothes at the time that passage was written, they are no longer exclusively men's clothes. I mean should we dress exactly like they did in Old Testament times? Also calm down.
Deuteronomy 22:11-12 wrote:You shall not wear a garment of different sorts, such as wool and linen mixed together. You shall make tassels on the four corners of the clothing with which you cover yourself.
So I'll ask again, do you wear garments of one type of material with tassels on the four corners?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Pants were men's clothes at the time that passage was written, they are no longer exclusively men's clothes. I mean should we dress exactly like they did in Old Testament times?
Deuteronomy 22:11-12 wrote:You shall not wear a garment of different sorts, such as wool and linen mixed together. You shall make tassels on the four corners of the clothing with which you cover yourself.
So I'll ask again, do you wear garments of one type of material with tassels on the four corners?
Haha that would be weird! No I don't mean that! :D
Pants were men's clothes at the time that passage was written, they are no longer exclusively men's clothes. I mean should we dress exactly like they did in Old Testament times?
And to answer your question No I don't.....do you?
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

But why don't you wear clothes of one type of material with tassels? The commands to do so are 5 verses down from the verse that says woman should not wear men's clothing that you interpret to mean no pants. Why follow one but not the other? You say it would be weird to dress like we were in the Old Testament, can we maybe then say that these commands were directed to a specific people group at a specific point in time and that pants are okay today?

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:But why don't you wear clothes of one type of material with tassels? The commands to do so are 5 verses down from the verse that says woman should not wear men's clothing that you interpret to mean no pants. Why follow one but not the other? You say it would be weird to dress like we were in the Old Testament, can we maybe then say that these commands were directed to a specific people group at a specific point in time and that pants are okay today?
Before I answer I want to let you know I am only 13 BUt you didnt answer my question either
Last edited by gabbygirl17 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

Okay, let's address that verse. I was thinking about this, and I have an answer for you. There's another part of my answer, but I'll post that another day. I don't have time.
Crossdressing is really about intent. And not going to a guys store and picking out things there. That's wrong. I exclude that from what I'm going to say.
When I wear a pear of jeans/pants, I'm not thinking "I'm dressing like a guy, and I want to." No, I'm thinking "Boy these feel comfy." When I go to my friends house in a pair of jeans, my friend is most likely not thinking "Gross, Joy is totally dressing like a guy. I told her that was wrong." When I go home to my family, they are not thinking "Joy is crossdressing!!!!! She shouldn't be doing that!!!!" They will be thinking "oh, Joy got a new pair of jeans."
Society does not consider wearing jeans crossdressing. Not that we should follow everything that the society is saying/thinking, but when I go out to eat, the waiter giving me my food will not think "Woah, that girl is crossdressing. Disgusting."
I am not in any way wearing guys clothing, simply because practically no one thinks I am, including myself. That's not my intent.
Humanity is doing a whole lot different things then they used to. If I live in....the Yukon, a really cold part of Canada, I will not wear a tank top (not that I actually wear those) and short shorts (<what I said before). our environment and what happens determines what we do and wear.

I can be confusing, and an awful debater at times, but I hope what I'm saying is clear to everyone. If it's not, please say so. :)

EDIT: Thank you, Eleventh Doctor, for stealing part of what I'm saying. I won't address anything that has been said after I've finished writing all this, since I don't really have time. ;)
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Joy wrote:Okay, let's address that verse. I was thinking about this, and I have an answer for you. There's another part of my answer, but I'll post that another day. I don't have time.
Crossdressing is really about intent. And not going to a guys store and picking out things there. That's wrong. I exclude that from what I'm going to say.
When I wear a pear of jeans/pants, I'm not thinking "I'm dressing like a guy, and I want to." No, I'm thinking "Boy these feel comfy." When I go to my friends house in a pair of jeans, my friend is most likely not thinking "Gross, Joy is totally dressing like a guy. I told her that was wrong." When I go home to my family, they are not thinking "Joy is crossdressing!!!!! She shouldn't be doing that!!!!" They will be thinking "oh, Joy got a new pair of jeans."
Society does not consider wearing jeans crossdressing. Not that we should follow everything that the society is saying/thinking, but when I go out to eat, the waiter giving me my food will not think "Woah, that girl is crossdressing. Disgusting."
I am not in any way wearing guys clothing, simply because practically no one thinks I am, including myself. That's not my intent.
Humanity is doing a whole lot different things then they used to. If I live in....the Yukon, a really cold part of Canada, I will not wear a tank top (not that I actually wear those) and short shorts (<what I said before). our environment and what happens determines what we do and wear.

I can be confusing, and an awful debater at times, but I hope what I'm saying is clear to everyone. If it's not, please say so. :)

EDIT: Thank you, Eleventh Doctor, for stealing part of what I'm saying. I won't address anything that has been said after I've finished writing all this, since I don't really have time. ;)

How come society has to determine what we do?? God should not society! I am not saying your dressing to look like a man or anything...But what would you guys say to a conservative girl who thinks pants are wrong?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

@gabbygirl No I don't wear clothes of one material with tassels and I think it's fine for women to wear pants. None of us know everything, I'm just bringing up questions I think need to be considered.

I would say this to a conservative girl who thinks pants are wrong. "Oh okay, that dress you're wearing looks nice." More power to you if your personal convictions lead you to not wear pants but to take that personal conviction and try to say girls who do wear pants are defying God is not very nice, let's all be a bit nicer?

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:@gabbygirl No I don't wear clothes of one material with tassels and I think it's fine for women to wear pants. None of us know everything, I'm just bringing up questions I think need to be considered.

I would say this to a conservative girl who thinks pants are wrong. "Oh okay, that dress you're wearing looks nice." More power to you if your personal convictions lead you to not wear pants but to take that personal conviction and try to say girls who do wear pants are defying God is not very nice, let's all be a bit nicer?

I am REALLLLLLY sorry guys! :oops: I just wanted opinions and this has turned into a HUGE debating thing.... :( :(
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

There's nothing to be sorry for, we're just trying to understand your position more. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with your position, for yourself.

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Eleventh Doctor wrote:There's nothing to be sorry for, we're just trying to understand your position more. And like I said, there's nothing wrong with your position, for yourself.

:) Thanks I'm sorry if I'm confusing lol ;) I am a pastors daughter so......haha :mrgreen:
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

Perhaps I shouldn't have added that part in about society, now that I look at it. hehe.....
What our world is today, in contrast to what it was a few thousand years ago, is extremely different. Women have jobs. Women are in the army. Women play sports.
Humans have adapted, and always will. Things change, and always will, until Christ returns.
You (I'm talking about people in general, not you, gabby) don't have the mindset of dressing like a guy, nor do you shop in a guys clothing store. Are you crossdressing? Usually, no.
The world has changed. So has clothing and the definition of dressing like a guy.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Do you guys think women should be allowed in the Military? And Yeah times are changing and society (but God never changes) I probably shouldnt have pushed my beliefs down everyones throat lol! ;) I'll be more careful
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I think women have already been in the military for a long time and have been in combat situations too. And if Deborah can go into battle woman today should be able to too.

Jimmy Barclay
Caramel Crunch

Aaron Wiley wrote:I can't think of anything more unacceptable for women to be doing. It SPECIFICALLY says in II James 4:2 "And let your women not wear denim, for it be a shameful thing for the house of God." and Abner 5:17 "...Like the despicable and rebellious hand maidens of Job who chose to wear jeans on the tabernacle which were smited by the hand of the Lord".

The Bible is so clear about this stuff, I don't know WHY you guys are even bothering to debate it.
Garrett......you made my day :P :P

I think it's a personal preference, if you feel they're inappropriate don't wear them. But don't try to impose your personal convictions on others. Granted there may be improper style's of pants for women, but seriously, I don't think all women need to walk around in Charlie Chaplin like pant's ;) I think girls look awesome when they wear skirts/dresses to church and other occasions, but also think they look great in pants as well(Yes, even *gasp* jeans buwahaha, :lol: )

Jimmy Barclay: Faithful companion of Drama Queen, aka Renae.

"And besides, it's salmon patty and broccoli night.......yulghth"
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Jimmy Barclay wrote:
Aaron Wiley wrote:I can't think of anything more unacceptable for women to be doing. It SPECIFICALLY says in II James 4:2 "And let your women not wear denim, for it be a shameful thing for the house of God." and Abner 5:17 "...Like the despicable and rebellious hand maidens of Job who chose to wear jeans on the tabernacle which were smited by the hand of the Lord".

The Bible is so clear about this stuff, I don't know WHY you guys are even bothering to debate it.
Garrett......you made my day :P :P

I think it's a personal preference, if you feel they're inappropriate don't wear them. But don't try to impose your personal convictions on others. Granted there may be improper style's of pants for women, but seriously, I don't think all women need to walk around in Charlie Chaplin like pant's ;) I think girls look awesome when they wear skirts/dresses to church and other occasions, but also think they look great in pants as well(Yes, even *gasp* jeans buwahaha, :lol: )
I already said I was sorry if it seemed I was forcing my things down your guys throat ;) I guess its a personal conviction......maybe..... It seems when I "debate" these things I sometimes question myself :(
Jimmy Barclay
Caramel Crunch

Lol, I didn't see that. In the time it took me to write my post there was 10 more replies lol. I'm not judging you for your convictions, in fact I commend you for standing up to what you believe.

Jimmy Barclay: Faithful companion of Drama Queen, aka Renae.

"And besides, it's salmon patty and broccoli night.......yulghth"
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Jimmy Barclay wrote:Lol, I didn't see that. In the time it took me to write my post there was 10 more replies lol. I'm not judging you for your convictions, in fact I commend you for standing up to what you believe.

Haha yeah there was alot of posting here! its fine! Thanks but I feel bad for having people think I was trying to force me beliefs lol.