Is it wrong for women to wear pants?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Women wearing pants?

Yes, its fine
76%
No
11%
I dont care
8%
I am not sure
No votes
I guess so
4%

Total votes: 72

Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

In this day and age it would look weird to see men wearing those around the mall, don't you think? I also noticed that all of those pictures were from or about a time a hundred + years ago.

Some more recent pictures:
As you can see *coughs* men this day and age look ridiculous in dresses and skirts. Maybe back two thousand years ago, it would have looked better, because that's all they knew. And Eleventh Doctor, would you like to go to school wearing one of those outfits?
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

O.o I just saw men in kilts..on Saturday.... Just saying...
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

@Connie Kendall That's exactly my point, why is men's fashion allowed to change but women still need to wear skirts and dresses to be considered modest? I realize you allow for pants some of the time but I don't understand why it needs to be that big an issue. Fashions change and I don't get why others here say women have to stick with the fashion from not just 100+ years ago but 1,000+ years ago.

As for the question of whether I'd wear something like this, I would. This is how the clergy in my church dress.

King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm not saying woman have to wear skirts to be modest. I very rarely wear skirts. I'm just saying that woman shouldn't be wear revealing outfits, that's all. Trust me, I am not one for wearing skirts every. single. day. I would die. I was just trying to say that some people feel that wearing skirts is more modest, and that is perfectly fine. I respect that, and understand why they do it, but I don't feel that is directed for me. Skirts aren't always modest, same with pants and shorts. We just need to be careful, that's all.

For the picture, would you wear that out in public? I understand in a church, but how about the mall?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

When going to the mall I would not wear the full vestments, probably just the cassock.

It would also be useful if I wanted to meet the Secretary of State.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

What, you could only meet the Secretary of State if you're wearing a dress? O_O
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

:P I of course didn't mean it that way. I was more making the point that Connie Kendall seems to think I would be embarrassed to wear the vestments of my church outside the actual church building when in fact I would not mind wearing them to meet with the Secretary of State.

Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

No, that's not what I meant :) I was saying that it would just be a bit.. weird... to see men in skirts and dresses out in public. This topic is about the question, "Is it wrong for women to wear pants?" not "Is it wrong for men to wear skirts?" ;)
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

You're right the topic is, should women wear pants? And my whole, long convoluted, point is why are the people who are saying women should only wear dresses, and yes I realize you're not one of them, using the fashion sense of 2,000+ years ago to say that is what is modest on a woman? And if that's the case then why shouldn't men be held to the same standard of having to wear what men wore 2,000+ years ago? I would agree with your general idea that women should be allowed to wear what they want and want to know if its weird to see guys in what they wore 2,000+ years ago shouldn't we have some empathy for women not wanting to be confined to only clothes women wore 2,000+ years ago?

Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Again, all I am saying is that if some woman feel that they need to wear skirts and dresses, then I respect that. I wasn't saying that woman are "held to the same standard" that they were 1000 years ago. I am just saying we, as woman, need to be careful to dresses modestly. If some woman feel that to dress that way is to wear skirts, then that is fine. If others feel that they can wear pants and shorts, well, then that is fine too.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

This is all very interesting. But going back to Arwen's comment ( though I never thought I'd hear myself say that) she's quite right (never thought I'd say that either.)
Just because a lot of people do indeed believe women shouldn't wear pants doesn't mean it's more sensible than doubting the morality of breathing. And it's really not much more sensible.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

Excellent, excellent points, Doctor. I don't really have much to add besides my agreement.
Connie_Kendall wrote:Again, all I am saying is that if some woman feel that they need to wear skirts and dresses, then I respect that. I wasn't saying that woman are "held to the same standard" that they were 1000 years ago. I am just saying we, as woman, need to be careful to dresses modestly. If some woman feel that to dress that way is to wear skirts, then that is fine. If others feel that they can wear pants and shorts, well, then that is fine too.
I also agree with this.

"We...need to be careful to dress modestly"

I agree that modesty is very important, but how do we define modesty? Our styles of dress change drastically around the globe and through time. We cannot apply a universal standard to everyone, so choice in dress must be left to personal conviction. You may have meant this in your post, but I just wanted to clarify.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

I just meant that if someone feels that what they are wearing is revealing to much, then they should change it. I, myself, don't feel comfortable wearing any pair of shorts that is wider than long. That is just to high. But shorts 3 or 4 inches above the knee are okay (in the U.S.) I believe that it's just a personal conviction in most cases, but there is some stuff that, Christians at least, shouldn't be wearing. Certain shirts, swimsuits, shorts, and skirts, you know what I mean.
Sage
Caramel Crunch

How can people in this century even question if women should wear pants? That is wrong on so many levels.
“It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh.”

Emily Rules!
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I think it would be absolutely GORGEOUS if ALL the lady would wear these!! :mrgreen:
They're SNAKE PANTS! They're pants from the Future...future...future...future...future... (Not in stores til 2040)
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Sage wrote:How can people in this century even question if women should wear pants? That is wrong on so many levels.
Do you mean that questioning it is wrong or that women wearing pants is wrong?
Sage
Caramel Crunch

Questioning the right of women to wear pants. It's like debating women being able to vote. Debate and discussion on many (appropriate) topics is healthy and enjoyable. Even women's rights! But not when it comes to pants...seriously??
(No offense, I hope I'm not coming off as unkind.) Frankly, I'm just very shocked.
“It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh.”

Emily Rules!
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

You haven't been in many conservative circles if you've never come across people who don't believe it's right for women to wear pants... :P
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Sage: Oh ok! Nope, you're not coming off as unkind :)

At my church, we don't really care if girls wear pants or skirts. Of course, no one wears bikinis or the like, and if anyone did, there would be an outrage. We've had discussions on modesty and stuff, but no one has said that girls should just wear skirts. It's more of a heart issue.
arwen
Caramel Crunch

Haha,PF, does it hurt you to agree with me?
Also,why? Did we ever have a fight or something?
Last edited by arwen on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.