Can you speak in Tongues and not be a Christian?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Can you speak in Tongues and not be a Christian?

Okay, so I was wondering if there are any answers to my question: Can you speak in tongues but not be a Christian?
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

That's a good question Gabby!
My thoughts on this is that, No, you cannot speak in tounges and be unsaved. My reasons for believing this are found in the first few chapters of Acts, which speak of how the disciples recieved this gift. I would like to begin though with a passage that says "There appeared on them tongues, as of fire, an one sat upon each of them. And they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterence." It is obvious here that speaking in tongues is a gift that comes with the Holy Spirit.
My reason for making this point clear is because of Acts 2:38 where it says, "Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." To me, this verse implies that one must first repent and only then will he receive the gift that is spoken of (which we established earlier as being speaking in tongues and not anything else).
If we were to follow this, though, the verse would also imply that you must be baptized before recieving the gift of the Holy Spirit. i'm not entirely sure if that is correct. Your thoughts?

After rereading my post, I realize that it sounds highly confusing, and I'm really sorry for my lack in good writing skills!
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Renae wrote:That's a good question Gabby!
My thoughts on this is that, No, you cannot speak in tounges and be unsaved. My reasons for believing this are found in the first few chapters of Acts, which speak of how the disciples recieved this gift. I would like to begin though with a passage that says "There appeared on them tongues, as of fire, an one sat upon each of them. And they were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterence." It is obvious here that speaking in tongues is a gift that comes with the Holy Spirit.
My reason for making this point clear is because of Acts 2:38 where it says, "Repent and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." To me, this verse implies that one must first repent and only then will he receive the gift that is spoken of (which we established earlier as being speaking in tongues and not anything else).
If we were to follow this, though, the verse would also imply that you must be baptized before recieving the gift of the Holy Spirit. i'm not entirely sure if that is correct. Your thoughts?

After rereading my post, I realize that it sounds highly confusing, and I'm really sorry for my lack in good writing skills!
Thanks for your answer! And don't worry bought your writing skills! Mine aren't the greatest ;) Yes, it makes sense you need to be saved to get it! I understand what you said by that thanks again :) Hmm....about Acts 2:38 Could be implying since it says the gift it means speaking in tongues? Or the Holy Spirit?
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

So does this mean that Christians who don't speak in tongues don't have the Holy Spirit? What about passages that say that if you don't have the Spirit of God, you're not saved?
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
The Old Judge
Mint Chocolate Chip

Christian's right, Gabby. I can't speak in tongues, but I know for a fact I am saved, and I challenge anyone who disputes that. Also, Pentecost was a real event, and they did speak in tongues then, but the modern idea of "speaking in tongues" is quite different. For instance, Google "How to Speak in Tongues". There are websites, videos and pieces of literature teaching people how to speak in tongues. Now, if it was a gift of God that He bestows upon us at will, why do you have to be taught it like you would arithmetic, history, or grammar?
Do you think you know music? Guess the hints at the end of each of my posts in A Musical Journey. (The name's a link. You can click it.)
Renae
Fudge Marble

i don't think Gabby was saying that you can't be a Christian without speaking in tongues....I think she saying that you can't speak in tongues and not be a Christian... Do you see the difference?
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

I wasn't saying if you don't speak in tongues your not a Christian...I'm not Pentecostal anyway though, but I don't speak in tongues. I mean I am saved but dont speak in tongues.
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Okay. So now my question would be, do you believe that you have the Holy Spirit in a greater way than I do, because I don't speak in tongues?

(Any Pentecostal can answer.)
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Renae
Fudge Marble

I'm not Pentecostal....but I want to answer and say that I do not believe those who speak in tongues have the Holy Spirit in a greater way than those who don't.
I would still like to hear a Pentecostal answer though!
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

To answer Gabbby No you can't. To answer Christian A. No.
Sage
Caramel Crunch

Renae wrote:That's a good question Gabby!

Renae, you actually put that very well. No negative talk about yourself, you're a good writer. Someone asked me this question recently, so I will have to tell them what you said.
“It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh.”

Emily Rules!
Renae
Fudge Marble

Sage wrote:Renae, you actually put that very well. No negative talk about yourself, you're a good writer. Someone asked me this question recently, so I will have to tell them what you said.
(: Thanks Sage! That's really very encouraging! I'm honored that you would use what I would say!!! :D
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

What do you think of tongues?
Last edited by John Henry on Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

As in Speaking In?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Of course.
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

This is already a topic...
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I can't delete this topic grrr.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Anyway...I don't think the modern definition of what we call speaking in tounges is biblical.

Let's look at Acts 2:1-12.
2 When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord[a] in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. 6 And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language. 7 Then they were all amazed and marveled, saying to one another, “Look, are not all these who speak Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each in our own language in which we were born? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites, those dwelling in Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya adjoining Cyrene, visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretans and Arabs—we hear them speaking in our own tongues the wonderful works of God.”
The speaking in tongues the Bible talks about is sort of like a universal translator where when the apostles spoke, everyone could understand them no matter what languages they spoke.

If I understand correctly, the Pentecostal definition of speaking in tongues is glossolalia, or vocalizing random syllables with no discernible meaning. That doesn't match with what is stated in Acts as speaking in tounges, does it?

Anyway, that was just what I think about it.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

When it comes to tongues. It depends on what you're talking about. If it is language, then it can happen when only necessary. I think tongues of the Pentecostal & Charismatic Churches is not the right thing - correct?