Once Saved always Saved?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

Wakko,
Read Matthew 6:1. It talks about not giving rewards.
Eleventh Doctor, God didn't create man to sin. But it was our choice, so we kind of became like dirt.
Wakko, I have no idea if Hitler was a Christian or not. He certainly wasn't acting like it, though. No one knows, only that person, if they are saved or not, Wakko.
Girls just wanna have fun!
Wakko
Pistachio

Wodfamchocsod wrote: Wakko, I have no idea if Hitler was a Christian or not. He certainly wasn't acting like it, though. No one knows, only that person, if they are saved or not, Wakko.
But the murderer isn't acting like a Christian either. What's the difference between the two?
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

IF the murderer is a Christian, that's the difference (if that's what you're talking about).
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

There isn't a difference between a Christian murderor and an atheist murderor. They both have greviously sinned and if they do not repent they will probably not end up in heaven. From what I have gathered that you said, if one professes Jesus as Lord they can do anything they want without any consequences. If that is what you mean then I will pray for the enlightenment of your mind and the salvation of your soul.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

jehoshaphat wrote:There isn't a difference between a Christian murderor and an atheist murderor. They both have greviously sinned and if they do not repent they will probably not end up in heaven. From what I have gathered that you said, if one professes Jesus as Lord they can do anything they want without any consequences. If that is what you mean then I will pray for the enlightenment of your mind and the salvation of your soul.
There is a difference. That Christian murderer will go to heaven. The atheist wont unless he accepts Christ as his Savior later.
I believe you will lose rewards, but not salvation.
Thank you for caring about me. :)
It is completely impossible to live the Christian life without sinning. That's why Christ died for us. I have believed in Christ as my Savior and have been placed into Christ. You don't need to pray for my soul but you can pray for me in other ways. Thanks tho...
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Wodfamchocsod wrote: It is completely impossible to live the Christian life without sinning. That's why Christ died for us. I have believed in Christ as my Savior and have been placed into Christ.
But, God is perfect. He can't even be around sin, even the tiniest sins.

And yes, Christ died for us, and we need to confess our sins, but it isn't just a one time deal, we need to constantly repent our sins. Plus, the more we are walking with the Lord, the more we become like Him. But this is only accomplished by a constant attitude of prayer and repentance, not just an attitude of "been there, done that, got the stamp, and now I'll go to Heaven no matter what I do."
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

The reward for salavtion is heaven. If we sin we lose our reward which is heaven.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Belle wrote:But, God is perfect. He can't even be around sin, even the tiniest sins.
I've always heard this but where is that from? Also how was Christ incarnate and living with sinners if He can't be around sin?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Eleventh Doctor wrote:
Belle wrote:But, God is perfect. He can't even be around sin, even the tiniest sins.
I've always heard this but where is that from? Also how was Christ incarnate and living with sinners if He can't be around sin?
Looking it up, I don't know, so let me reword what I said with another argument:

God is a just God, and therefore must give us what we deserve for our sins, even little sins.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

But we deserve death for every sin, so how do we avoid that?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Eleventh Doctor wrote:But we deserve death for every sin, so how do we avoid that?
We accept Christ as our personal savoir, repent of our sins, put our trust in Him, and start living a life in Him, which includes repentance for all the sins we continue to commit.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

We're back then to the question of can we do whatever we want then since the repentance covers all the sins we continue to commit?

And again, how did Christ eat with sinners who hadn't repented?

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Eleventh Doctor wrote:We're back then to the question of can we do whatever we want then since the repentance covers all the sins we continue to commit?
Romans 6:1-2 wrote:What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
Because we have been reborn in Christ, our attitude changes.
Romans 6:11 wrote:2 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
So, no, we can't do whatever we want.
Eleventh Doctor wrote:And again, how did Christ eat with sinners who hadn't repented?
I said I didn't hold to that argument anymore. :P
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So you've dropped the argument that God can't be around sin?

So this change just happens to us? There's no effort on our part?

Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So you've dropped the argument that God can't be around sin?
At this point, yes. What do you think of it, by the way, since you've only asked about it without asserting your opinion?
Eleventh Doctor wrote: So this change just happens to us? There's no effort on our part?
No, we have to make an effort, and it certainly won't be easy, because the Devil will try to tempt us to give it up. We make an effort for this change through practicing spiritual disciplines, such as prayer, meditation, and study of the word.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I agree with you now that you've restated your points in a more precise way.

Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

I guess no ones going to heaven then. We all know it's impossible to be continually repenting. THAT WAS BEFORE THE CROSS. We are under grace now, guys!!! You've all missed the point of Christ dying for us!
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So what is the purpose of the Christian life?

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

I believe a lot of people are in heaven even with my belief. We don't have to be continually repenting because we aren't continually sinning. I haven't missed the point at all. I think that the point is being over exaggerated, Christ died so we might have life, sin is what Christ frees us from, but we still sin. And sin seperates us from God. 1 John 3:15 "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

That proves my point, nothing else needs to be said. It says clearly that a murderer doesn't have eternal life in him. It doesn't say that a Christian murderer will still go to heaven. No, he must repent and be forgiven again. Catholics have the wonderul gift a confession for this very reason. We recognize that we are not perfect and that we sin, and that we need God's forgiveness over and over again.

I also found this website that is very pertanaint to our discussion.
http://www.preparingforeternity.com/oncesave.htm
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So what is the purpose of the Christian life?
My point exactly. I was being sarcastic.
Jehosophat, that's why Christ died for sinners.