Once Saved always Saved?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
HomeschoolCowgirl
Peach Cobbler

Does it say in the Bible that Jesus didn't die for a sin until we have confessed it? There's probably a better way to word this, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but....
"Musical training is a more potent instrument than any other, for rhythm and harmony find their way into the inner places of the soul... making the soul of one who is rightly educated, graceful" -- Socrates
Wakko
Pistachio

@WodFamChocSod Do you think that we can commit any sins we want to on Earth, and have no consequences other than having "no rewards" in Heaven?
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

Did you even read my post? Your not convincing me or anyone by saying this over and over again. Unless you can find some solid evidence and an infallible church to back you up, you are wrong.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

jehoshaphat wrote:Did you even read my post? Your not convincing me or anyone by saying this over and over again. Unless you can find some solid evidence and an infallible church to back you up, you are wrong.
I have solid evidence. The Bible. Look up john 10:29.
There are several churches that believe what I do. Even a denomination. Baptist.
Even if I didn't have a church, I wouldn't have been proven wrong. Just because a bunch of people belief something doesn't mean it's true.
Yes, Wakko.
Girls just wanna have fun!
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

I already refuted John 10:29. And I said an infallible church. Not just any old denomination started by who knows who, but the Catholic Church started by Jesus Christ himself.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

-pops head in-

Wodfamchocsod does not appear to be Catholic, and as a result he/she has no reason to accept the Catholic Church as anything somehow more intrinsically trustworthy than his/her own. Just because Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is infallible doesn't mean that every other Christian does, and therefore not everyone is going to feel the need to match up to the Catholic Church's teachings with some "infallible" doctrine of their own.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

TigerShadow wrote:-pops head in-

Wodfamchocsod does not appear to be Catholic, and as a result he/she has no reason to accept the Catholic Church as anything somehow more intrinsically trustworthy than his/her own. Just because Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is infallible doesn't mean that every other Christian does, and therefore not everyone is going to feel the need to match up to the Catholic Church's teachings with some "infallible" doctrine of their own.
Thanks, Tigershadow.
Yeah, what she said. :)
Couldn't have said it better.
And I wanted to share this verse with you guys. Hebrews 6:4-6
For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
Wakko
Pistachio

Wodfamchocsod wrote: There are several churches that believe what I do. Even a denomination. Baptist.
Baptist is a very big denomination, I think that maybe a few denominations might agree with you. But, not the whole denomination. :-
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Wodfamchocsod wrote:Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
So this seems to be saying that those who have had the Holy Spirit can fall away. I thought you were arguing against this?

Wakko is right not all Baptist believe in once saved, always saved. In fact I believe most don't. The Reformed denominations would agree with you but they are a minority of Christians.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

TigerShadow wrote:-pops head in-

My point was that no Church except the Church started by Jesus himself can be infallible. And just because you don't believe it is doesn't make it not. Also @Wodfamchocsod the verse seems to be saying the opposite of what you mean.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

As I understand it, the Apolistic church was the Catholic Church. They started to do weird stuff with the indulgences and the like, so the Protestants split off.

All churches have their roots in Jesus.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Well before that weird stuff they started doing other weird stuff and left the Catholic Church which came to be called the Orthodox Church.

How far do you take that? Does the Church of Later Day Saints have their roots in Jesus?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

The wierd stuff with indulgences was very isolated. Also you could say the Orthodox split off from us.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

You could say that but you could also say you split off from us.

jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

True true. It just depends on how you look at it.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:
Wodfamchocsod wrote:Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
So this seems to be saying that those who have had the Holy Spirit can fall away. I thought you were arguing against this?

Wakko is right not all Baptist believe in once saved, always saved. In fact I believe most don't. The Reformed denominations would agree with you but they are a minority of Christians.

The verse is saying that those who are saved cannot fall away, not the Holy Spirit himself.
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

Actually it says that those who leave cannot come back. Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

jehoshaphat wrote:Actually it says that those who leave cannot come back. Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt.
It says it is impossible for people to fall away and restore them to repentance.
And then again, what DO you think of John 10:29? I still haven't got a clear answer from you?
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So what are they falling away from?

Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So what are they falling away from?
From Christ.
But, the verse says it's impossible.