Once Saved always Saved?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
FlyingRider
Strawberry

NateVONgreat wrote:I don't want to get into this argument/debate, I just wanted to give my opinion. :D
I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure that it is possible to fall away, I say this because sadly, I know lots of people who fell away or turned from the faith, now I don't know for sure, because I never saw their hearts, I don't know how serious their faith was beforehand.
And also, the Bible mentions having a name erased from the book of life, and in addition, when we are saved, Jesus' blood covers and erases our sins so that we can come before God, and there is no forgiveness to blaspheming the holy spirit, so if you are not forgiven, you cannot come before God, and I guess that is the same as not being saved. But like I said, I am not sure, at the end of the day God is the righteous judge who is the only one to see our hearts and intentions.

I completely agree. Jesus said that because the church was luke warm he was gonna spit them out of his mouth.
The cold never bothered me anyway!!!!! ( just kidding i hate snow)
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

jehoshaphat wrote:I believe a lot of people are in heaven even with my belief. We don't have to be continually repenting because we aren't continually sinning. I haven't missed the point at all. I think that the point is being over exaggerated, Christ died so we might have life, sin is what Christ frees us from, but we still sin. And sin seperates us from God. 1 John 3:15 "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him."

That proves my point, nothing else needs to be said. It says clearly that a murderer doesn't have eternal life in him. It doesn't say that a Christian murderer will still go to heaven. No, he must repent and be forgiven again. Catholics have the wonderul gift a confession for this very reason. We recognize that we are not perfect and that we sin, and that we need God's forgiveness over and over again.

I also found this website that is very pertanaint to our discussion.
http://www.preparingforeternity.com/oncesave.htm
We are no longer in the Old Testament. If you must repent and believe "again" every time you sin, we are all doomed. Sin is anything we say do or think that breaks God's law. It's impossible.
Also you made a comment earlier that if I believe in what I do I won't be saved. I have placed my trust in Christ Alone for my salvation. I don't need to be baptized or anything.
Girls just wanna have fun!
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

We have to repent when we sin yes. We don't have to believe again because we have already done that. It's not impossible for nothing is impossible with God. If we don't have to be baptized why did Jesus tell the disciples to go out and be baptised in his name? And why does it say in Acts:2:38
"Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
It seems to me that baptism is pretty neccesary for salvation. Also please respond to all my points especially the verse I posted. It is very pertinant to this discussion.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

jehoshaphat wrote:We have to repent when we sin yes. We don't have to believe again because we have already done that. It's not impossible for nothing is impossible with God. If we don't have to be baptized why did Jesus tell the disciples to go out and be baptised in his name? And why does it say in Acts:2:38
"Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit."
It seems to me that baptism is pretty neccesary for salvation. Also please respond to all my points especially the verse I posted. It is very pertinant to this discussion.
Everything is possible with God but it is impossible without which is the reason why are we discussing this. If what you are saying is true everyone of us is doomed. It is impossible to not sin. Remember how Christ died for us?
It is a great thing to be baptized, and Christians should. However if you read John 316 it says nothing about baptism. Ephesians 2:8-9 says that we are saved by grace and not works. Grace does not mean baptism. Works do, though.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So what's the point of getting baptized then?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

Eleventh Doctor wrote:So what's the point of getting baptized then?
The point is to show everyone around you that you're following Christ. It's a great thing to do. John the Baptist was baptized by Jesus, and he baptized Jesus himself. It's kind of like an announcement, or statement he was making.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So the Baptism of Jesus was just an announcement? Nothing special happened?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Audrey
Cookies & Creme

So you're saying baptism is just a public statement of faith? If that's true, why can't I just go out into the street and scream "I'M A CHRISTIAN AND I LOVE JESUS!"? Besides, we should be showing our faith through our actions, not just being dunked under water.
An owl and a squirrel are sitting in a tree, watching a farmer go by. The owl turns to the squirrel and says nothing, because owls can't talk. The owl then eats the squirrel because it is a bird of prey.
Wodfamchocsod
Cookies & Creme

Audrey wrote:So you're saying baptism is just a public statement of faith? If that's true, why can't I just go out into the street and scream "I'M A CHRISTIAN AND I LOVE JESUS!"? Besides, we should be showing our faith through our actions, not just being dunked under water.
11th Doctor: yes. Being baptized is extremely special, though!! Why did John baptize Jesus then, if Jesus didn't need to be saved?
If you'd like to go out in the street and shout that, that's awesome.
Baptism is not required for salvation, because we are saved through grace, and grace alone. Nothing we do can save us: Ephesians 2:8-9.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

But wasn't Jesus being an example for us? If we are to follow His will, He desires all of us to be baptized. Baptism is a work of true salvation that follows repentance and belief in Jesus. If we refuse to be baptized, I'd say somethings wrong, and we should check our hearts to see if we are truly saved.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

There's a difference between doing something out of obedience and doing something because it will save you, though.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I believe baptism is part of the salvation process... that was what I was trying to say.
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

So do you believe then that baptism is a part of justification?
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Yes.

(no longer a one-word post)
Last edited by Miss Friendship on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KeyBladeWarrior
Cookies & Creme

I'm not exactly sure where you guys are in this debate. Too lazy to read through 8 pages.
MaryBeth_13 wrote:Umm well, I believe even if they give up God they are still saved, also I believe that once God is done with that person and they give up on him he takes them home, if God cant use us then there's no point of us being on earth.
I agree with this 100%. I believe if you are truly saved, no matter what you do, it is impossible to lose your salvation. I also believe if you are saved, and God can't use, He'll take you.
That's what I think on this subject.
Last edited by KeyBladeWarrior on Tue May 19, 2015 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

@ MF: If Baptism is part of your salvation that means it is a work. Also that makes another human responsible for if you go to heaven or hell. By no means do I wish to put down Baptism, but if someone never gets a baptism after recving salvation and repenting, they are not going to hell.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

But if it's a work and makes your salvation dependent on others shouldn't we not do it?

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

We are to do holy works.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

KeyBladeWarrior wrote: I believe if you are truly saved, no matter what you do, it is impossible to lose your salvation. I also believe if you are saved, and God can't use, He'll take you.
That's what I think on this subject.
Sorry. I don't see that in scripture. Actually I see the opposite. 2 Peter 2:21
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them