Once Saved always Saved?

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

Eleventh Doctor wrote:But if it's a work and makes your salvation dependent on others shouldn't we not do it?
Not if baptism doesn't save you.

Baptism, to me, is important because it is a public profession of who you are in Christ in the tradition of what Jesus did prior to the start of His ministry. I do not, however, believe it to be part of justification, because that undermines the verses about "not as a result of works, so that no one may boast".
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

Miss Friendship wrote:
Sorry. I don't see that in scripture. Actually I see the opposite. 2 Peter 2:21
For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them
Actually, looking at the context, that verse is talking about false teachers, who were never saved in the first place.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Although the verse says that they had known the way at one time....which means they fell away. This verse in 1 Timothy says the same thing. "Some shall depart from the faith" indicacting they once knew it.
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~
AKA Countess Concordia of the Chat, Regalia, and the Queen of Sarcasm

I am a personal quirk. --Adrian Dreamwalker
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

@Tiger I just don't see this idea of it being a symbol, to me the verse about works is saying the works themselves are not the cause of justification I would say though that God works through baptism. God uses physical earthly things after all, otherwise why would Christ need to come down and actually be here if all was needed was symbol?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Ashley
Raspberry Ripple

I did a bit of research, and "know", or "knew" in that context is epiginōskō (ἐπιγινώσκω) actually means 1) to know accurately, know well. 2) to know. 3) to recognize, etc; as apposed to knowledge of the heart, hearing with the heart, or, having saving knowledge.
Source:
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Rev. 2:4-5 Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. 5 Consider how far you have fallen! Repent and do the things you did at first. If you do not repent, I will come to you and remove your lampstand from its place
How do you explain away this?
~Lady Friendship Knight of the Order of Chrysostom in the Court of the Debate Vampires~

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

I think we can safely say you can and likely will still sin after being saved, because we are still human.
Miss Friendship
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Yes, but if it isn't followed by a continued life of repentance, we will fall away and our names will be blotted from the Book of life.

Mr. Yorp
Cookies & Creme

That may be true. It would probably be best to take the stance that you can lose your salvation than to think it will not matter if you sin.