Debating Catholicism

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Debating Catholicism

What is your opinions on Catholics and how they differ from Christians. Do you believe Catholic is just another denomination or a whole other religion? This topic was not meant to offend Catholics. I just want to know you opinions on them.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

Catholicism is just another denomination, as far as I'm concerned. As far as I know, we agree on all major tennants of Christianity, we just get lost in the semantics. We both believe Jesus died for our sins, and thus, we're saved by grace. We both believe in the trinity, God in three persons. Isn't that the foundations for what you believe as an Arminian as well?
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Batgirl
Cookies & Creme

Aaron Wiley wrote:Catholicism is just another denomination, as far as I'm concerned. As far as I know, we agree on all major tennants of Christianity, we just get lost in the semantics. We both believe Jesus died for our sins, and thus, we're saved by grace. We both believe in the trinity, God in three persons. Isn't that the foundations for what you believe as an Arminian as well?
I agree with Aaron.
"Sometimes the best book has the dustiest jacket, and sometimes the best tea cup is chipped."
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Im sorry, but I disagree with both of you. I believe Catholicism is another religion completely. They believe in Jesus, but they're views are on Christianity are basically twisted t a point that it is the complete opposite of Christianity. I believe that unless a Catholic becomes a Christian he/she will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.
Batgirl
Cookies & Creme

So what about a Mormon,what are your views on them?
"Sometimes the best book has the dustiest jacket, and sometimes the best tea cup is chipped."
Lizzywriter
Chocolate Chip

I belive that Catholic is not a deffernt denomination, or a different religion. They both belive in God and Jesus, but from there, things get different. I have a friend who is a Catholic, and my sister has a friend who is Mormon.
Let no one despise your youth, but be an example in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, and in purity.
1 Timmothy 4:12
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

Figured I'd quote what I posted in the debating thread:
God's Girl wrote:So, what do you guys think about what Mormon's believe? (I just want to say that I have absolutely nothing against anyone who is Mormon, just that it is different for what I believe)

Mormons and Christians believe many of the same things, but the big difference between their beliefs and mine is the fact that they believe that doing good gets you into heaven. The bible says specifically in Ephesians 2:8 & 9:
"For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it is the free gift of God, not of works, lest any man should boast."

So, what do you guys think? If there are any Mormons on here, I would love to discuss things like this with you! :)
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

Wooton Bassett wrote:Im sorry, but I disagree with both of you. I believe Catholicism is another religion completely. They believe in Jesus, but they're views are on Christianity are basically twisted t a point that it is the complete opposite of Christianity. I believe that unless a Catholic becomes a Christian he/she will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.
A HO HO HO HA HA HE! <- (I apologize, but that was my reaction. A more intelligent post to come. Don't be offended. [He he.])
~ Walker in Dreams
Doll
Rainbow Sherbet

So, for those of you who are Catholics, I am interested in what you believe different from Christians and why.
~Queen Belle of Altanovia, Knight of Montreal & Order of Aristotle, Benevolent Dictator, Catspaw of the SS, & Dan's couch troll~
~"I’ve always found you to be a good person to disagree with." - Eleventh Doctor~
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

Well first of all, both Catholic and Protestant are sub-divisions of Christian.
~ Walker in Dreams
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Wooton Bassett wrote:Im sorry, but I disagree with both of you. I believe Catholicism is another religion completely. They believe in Jesus, but they're views are on Christianity are basically twisted t a point that it is the complete opposite of Christianity. I believe that unless a Catholic becomes a Christian he/she will not enter the kingdom of Heaven.
HA HA HA HA, HO HO... Oh WOW! That was marvelous. <Ahem. Sorry, guys, more intelligent remarks shall be forhcoming from me as well... Ahem... but, (gasp) I'm afraid I can't even talk about it now! :lol:
Sorry for basically copying your amazing post, bro, but how could I not? ;)
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Pound Foolish wrote:
HA HA HA HA, HO HO... Oh WOW! That was marvelous. <Ahem. Sorry, guys, more intelligent remarks shall be forhcoming from me as well... Ahem... but, (gasp) I'm afraid I can't even talk about it now! :lol:
:roll: oh please guys, stop acting like children. That's my opinion and making fun of it won't change it.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

I think that Catholic is okay, as long as they believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross, and that he is the son of God, they will go to heaven.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

Well Cathilocs believe Mary was holy when she wasn't They have to pray for the saints (St.Mark) To ask God for something.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Suzy Lou Foolish
Peanut Butter Cup

Pound Foolish wrote:HA HA HA HA, HO HO... Oh WOW! That was marvelous. <Ahem. Sorry, guys, more intelligent remarks shall be forhcoming from me as well... Ahem... but, (gasp) I'm afraid I can't even talk about it now! :lol:
Gee! Tell the devil I said hey, bud. Just kidding. This is a tad ridiculous...nobody can say/or has the right to judge and condemn people. (James 4:11-12) As for how I view Catholics, I just think of another denominations...no devils, or that sort of thing. I like some of things they believe in, other bits- I'm not sure of. But goodness, I could view pretty much any denomination that way! Sayyy, oh...baptist---nevermind, I won't get started on that....
Last edited by Suzy Lou Foolish on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

gabbygirl17 wrote:Well Cathilocs believe Mary was holy when she wasn't They have to pray for the saints (St.Mark) To ask God for something.
Sure, that and a bunch of other aspects of Catholicism, are wrong. But if they are saved, then they will go to heaven.
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

gablerbage8 wrote:
gabbygirl17 wrote:Well Cathilocs believe Mary was holy when she wasn't They have to pray for the saints (St.Mark) To ask God for something.
Sure, that and a bunch of other aspects of Catholicism, are wrong. But if they are saved, then they will go to heaven.
But God did say also to have no other Gods before Him thats breaking a commandment
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
jehoshaphat
Cookies & Creme

Mary is holy, have you heard of Luke 1:28? It says "Hail Mary full of grace." Grace is the opposite of sin if something is full of grace then there is no sin there. also Catholics do not pray TO saints we ask them to intercede on our behalf it is just like asking friends and family to pray for us... that is my two cents if you have any questions ask.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

gablerbage8 wrote:I think that Catholic is okay, as long as they believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross, and that he is the son of God, they will go to heaven.
Is that all it takes to get to heaven? If so, I guess we'll be seeing a lot of demons up there too.
New Living Translation (©2007)

James 2:19
You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.
The deciding factor of whether or not someone goes to heaven (according to the Bible) is not if they believe God exists or not, but rather, it is based on whether they choose to put their faith in the fact that Jesus died on the cross for their sins, and that they can't get to heaven on their own merit - salvation by works doesn't exist.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
~Ephesians 4:4-6

Thoughts on this verse?
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle