Gambling

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Is gambling wrong?

Yes, all the time.
59%
Not if it is used in moderation.
26%
It depends on the person and how they use it.
15%

Total votes: 27

Rosy
Cookie Dough

John Henry, I genuinely want to know why you think animation is against God.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

I ask again then, please answer this time. Do you believe gifts are wrong then? Like no birthdays or Christmas presents since you didn't earn those?
I know the source is not good
THEN WHY DID YOU USE IT?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

What I meant by 'not good' was that it was not a quote. Do you kick at dolls? I guess you have to kick Belle. Besides, a person can get used to evil. For example, a lot of violence or cursing in television - at first it can horrify a person, then the person gets used to it, then the person does it himself. Gifts are OK, but I don't want to get $1,000,000
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

Then don't use it if it's not a quote.

No, who kicks at dolls?

Have no fear, I will not be gifting you $1,000,000. But why is that unearned money okay and money from gambling isn't?

There is plenty of violence and cursing on the internet.
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

There are methods of gambling that involve small wins - scratch-offs that earn $1-20 for winning numbers. Are these more acceptable?
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Eleventh Doctor wrote:Then don't use it if it's not a quote.

No, who kicks at dolls?

Have no fear, I will not be gifting you $1,000,000. But why is that unearned money okay and money from gambling isn't?

There is plenty of violence and cursing on the internet.
1. OK
2. Animation Characters. Also, one seven-year-old boy watched a cartoon in which the character said "Fire is fun". "He believed it and set his house on fire." The source is from TEPS.
3. Gifts are given occasionally. If gambling would be permitted - I'd say people would not work.
4. Yes, that's why my parents give restrictions on it. We don't have a TV at our home. Nothing wrong with the equipment itself - but, just watch it - filthy. Also, I remember that we did see the news in the TV in Anyang Station when the Sewol Ship sank...
5. Spoon, how much is the limit? $100? $50 $1? $0.01? $75? $20?
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

John Henry wrote:2. Animation Characters. Also, one seven-year-old boy watched a cartoon in which the character said "Fire is fun". "He believed it and set his house on fire." The source is from TEPS.
One seven-year-old out of the several hundred thousand that have watched animated movies isn't much of an indicator. Extreme cases are not the norm.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

That's what I'm asking *you*, since you seem to think all forms of gambling are wrong. Is there a limit that would make it acceptable? More akin to a gift?

Also, gambling is 'permitted', it's not illegal. People don't win often enough (or at least not large amounts) to support themselves, or else no one would work.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

John Henry wrote: 2. Animation Characters. Also, one seven-year-old boy watched a cartoon in which the character said "Fire is fun". "He believed it and set his house on fire." The source is from TEPS.
This is one animated character out of hundreds, and that's one kid out of millions. You can't judge animation on this one instance. If this kid was that un-bright and most likely not being watched by a parent at the time, he could have heard that from anywhere. I mean, there's a ton of stuff on the radio that's bad, but I don't say, "Well, this one thing I heard on the radio once was bad, so therefore Adventures in Odyssey must be just as bad." You can't generalize like that without being incredibly biased.
Though I must (partially) agree with you on cable TV. 985% of the channels you can get aren't worth watching for a minute, but there are some shows and movies that I do like.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Have you heard of the Simpsons?
Rosy
Cookie Dough

John Henry wrote:Have you heard of the Simpsons?
Yes, I have. But again, just because one animated show is awful doesn't mean they all are or that animation is evil.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Wakko
Pistachio

underseasie wrote:John Henry, I genuinely want to know why you think animation is against God.
There goes my dream job as animator...
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Yeah, as I understand that Simpson boy swears a lot.
Wakko
Pistachio

John Henry wrote:Yeah, as I understand that Simpson boy swears a lot.
Again just because there's a show that curses a lot on TV, does not mean that all TV shows/movies are bad.
TigerShadow
Mocha Jamocha

John Henry wrote:Yeah, as I understand that Simpson boy swears a lot.
And Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Princess Belle, T.J. Detweiler, Buster Bunny, Avatar Aang, Avatar Korra, SpongeBob SquarePants, Twilight Sparkle, Hiccup, Jack Frost, Merida, and Princess Rapunzel do not. I have named thirteen out of hundreds of animated characters that do not swear or do anything worse than cartoon violence (with the exception of SpongeBob, who kills off viewers' brain cells). You have named one in an adult-oriented cartoon that airs on primetime who swears.
it's not about 'deserve'. it's about what you believe. and i believe in love
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

*points to all the Christian cartoons out there, including AIO's cartoons*
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Bugs Bunny is the Devil's Invention (I might be wrong or using STRONG language). Don't you know "Easter"?
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Excuse me? do you even know what bugs bunny is? "Ahhhh, what's up, doc?" I think you're thinking of the Easter bunny...=|
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Isn't Bugs Bunny the Easter Bunny?
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

*facepalm*

Bugs Bunny is an iconic Looney Toons character. He's grey and white and is always eating a carrot, and teases a hunter named Elmer Fudd who is always trying to hunt him down, but is really dumb. =p