Gambling

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.

Is gambling wrong?

Yes, all the time.
59%
Not if it is used in moderation.
26%
It depends on the person and how they use it.
15%

Total votes: 27

brittany k
Peanut Butter Cup

well i feel alittle ashamed i used to play zynga poker on facebook but not anymore cause personally i think it's wrong! and joy really i don't know i can't tell u! cause i'm not sure! haha i know i'm not making any since! lol
I'm a crazy gal! :)
I love life! :)
Samantha14
Mint Chocolate Chip

Personally, I don't think it is wrong if it is used sparingly, And in moderation.
Many people try to use the verse that says "A fool and his money shall soon be parted."
But, Think about this verse...
A FOOL and his money. I find, That, This is referring to the person who uses his money for
nothing other than the 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000 chance that he might win any where between
a few dollars to millions of dollars. Who does everything he can to gain money, Just to turn around
and spend it on more tickets. An example? Selling your belongings and borrowing money from all of
your friends just to spend on tickets. It takes over your life, And you remain in pathetic hopelessness...
Scary, Right?

HOWEVER...

If a person just buys a ticket or plays a game every once in a while, Or, Sets a certain
amount of money to use for it, Instead of using money meant for bills, food, clothing, And such,
It is perfectly fine. Moderation is key. The Bible does not say "Thou shalt not gamble".
Even in the Bible they cast lots, Which is sort of a gamble.

If you feel God telling you not to gamble, Do not gamble. If He isn't, And you feel it's fine,
Then, that's okay too. My grandmother and aunt set aside money, My Great grandparents used to as well, I honestly feel it's fine as long as it's used sparingly, As I said.
However, If you feel it's not, That's your opinion and your entitled to it. :)

Sorry about my rambling on and on. :)

Sammy :)
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

I think that of course gambling is wrong, but the not to mark our body's thing in the bible, does that make ear piercing wrong? I mean lip, tongue and cheek piercing is a bit much, but one small ear pierce?
"What-ever."- Pound Foolish

E.R.K.

"Why are you cutting a table with a chainsaw...?"
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

@Gablerb where do you find that in the Bible?

I personally enjoy a good game of Texas Hold 'em with my buddies, although we only play with poker chips rather than actual money.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Joy
Raspberry Ripple

Aaron Wiley wrote:
I personally enjoy a good game of Texas Hold 'em with my buddies, although we only play with poker chips rather than actual money.
Same here! I've only played once. I won against my uncle, my brother, maybe my other brother. My oldest sister won it. It was surprising, considering it was her first time playing, just like me.

offtopic
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

sure, Playing with stuff that isn't money is just for fun!

E.R.K.

Wretched Sinner
Lemon Meringue

Liz'alike wrote:To Aaron's question (because I wanted to answer it- though you weren't talking to me), it is in Leviticus 19:28. It is under the old covenant, and does not necessarily apply anymore (Since we are under the new covenant through Jesus).
Though, personally I don't care for or approve of tattoo's (like gambling, I find it unnecessary), I wouldn't consider it a "sin".
So if a brother or sister -in Christ- got a tattoo, I would think it was tacky and not care for it, but I wouldn't consider it "sinning".
I'm gonna get a Bible verse tattooed on my chest
MaryBeth_13
Cookies & Creme

wooten, if u did that i will never speak to u again
Image"Charm is deceptive,and beauty it fleeting,but a women who fears the Lord shall be praised." Proverbs 30:31
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

Wooton Bassett wrote:
Liz'alike wrote:To Aaron's question (because I wanted to answer it- though you weren't talking to me), it is in Leviticus 19:28. It is under the old covenant, and does not necessarily apply anymore (Since we are under the new covenant through Jesus).
Though, personally I don't care for or approve of tattoo's (like gambling, I find it unnecessary), I wouldn't consider it a "sin".
So if a brother or sister -in Christ- got a tattoo, I would think it was tacky and not care for it, but I wouldn't consider it "sinning".
Noah, you are to weird! I might not like you as much if you do that ;) rofl
GabrielleFandomGirl
Fudge Marble

Wooton Bassett wrote:
marybeth_13 wrote: Wooten, if you did that I would never speak to you again!
You had better not Wooton!

E.R.K.

John Henry
Peach Cobbler

I SECOND THAT! As for Gambling - I don't think so-called 'clean gambling' is OK. This can lead to Dirty Gambling - my thoughts.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

What? John Henry is against something? I am flabbergasted.

Gambling is just paying money to play a game at which you could win that money back. Are you against any entertainment you have to pay for too? I mean I pay money to go to a movie with no chance of getting that money back, is going to the movies wrong?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

Flabbergasted? What does that mean? Gamble? We should work for money (why even AIO goes against the lottery) Also, I don't go to the movies at all. The movies & television have a lot of bad stuff - not that video equipment is evil (it CAN be used for good).
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

It means greatly astonished.

So we should never get any money we didn't work for? Are you against receiving birthday or Christmas gifts then?

AIO goes against Dungeons and Dragons but I still play, AIO can *gasp* be wrong about things ;)

The internet has a lot of bad stuff, what are you doing here?

Also, what do you do for fun?
King of The Lands of Rhetoric, Lord Ruler of the Debate Vampires, and Duke of Quebec

"It's particularly ignorant to assume malicious or ignorant intentions behind an opinion with which one disagrees." ~Connie
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

The Movies are worse!

What do I do for fun? I love books - yes, you'll call me a nerd.
Eleventh Doctor
Chocolate Bacon Drizzle

So we should never get any money we didn't work for? Are you against receiving birthday or Christmas gifts then?

The internet has a lot of bad stuff, what are you doing here?

I love books too, I read all the time. But there are bad books, shouldn't we avoid books all together because good books might lead to bad books? Better safe than sorry.

Wakko
Pistachio

John Henry wrote:The Movies are worse!
You could argue that the internet is much much worse.
John Henry
Peach Cobbler

At least the internet has some good websites. Movies? I object - animation character swearing, drinking alcohol, violence (such as kicking a doll). There are Internet websites that don't have filthiness - yet, I don't here of a 'clean' movie. I think all those 'Bible' movies are mockery of God.

Lets get back to topic
I know the source is not good, but in a tape I have the Evangelist was preaching, and he mentioned about him doing some jail ministry - and one of the young men there had said to him "My Sunday-School Teacher taught me to gamble" - which was 'clean' gambling.

Besides, I think we should work to get money - not the lottery or chance games, etc.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

What in the world is wrong with animation, and how is kicking a doll violent? And what about movies likeThe Passion of Christ where it's accurate to the Bible?
Spoon
Cookies & Creme

I'm not sure Passion of the Christ is really beneficial. It seems like it just tugs at people's heartstrings without anything deeper.