Speaking in Tounges

What do you believe and why? Here's the place to discuss anything relating to church and God.
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

DUdeeeeeeeeeeee I said It can be a sign. @Ben.C Sweet!!! A BELIEVER jk :lol:
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Well, what do you mean by "a sign" then, if you didn't mean any of the things I wrote?

Don't act like my entire post was misdirected and then not give any further clarification.
Formerly Christian A. :)
Jeremiah 13:23
Ezekiel 36:26-27
Ephesians 2:4-10

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

Christian A. wrote:Well, what do you mean by "a sign" then, if you didn't mean any of the things I wrote?

Don't act like my entire post was misdirected and then not give any further clarification.
No No No No. Sorry if u got anoyed by my post, I was just trying to say that I meant It can be a sign. And what I mean by a sign is that it is a way we can tell if someone has been baptized in the Holy Spirt. I have been babtized in the Holy Spirit, and been albe to speak in tongues. And times we feel the preasents of God, some people break out in tongues.
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

How do you know that people breaking out in tongues is evidence of the presence of God? It could be the result of false teaching that tells them that when they've been "baptized in the Spirit" they should be able to speak in tongues. Thus, because they want people to know that they've been "baptized in the Spirit," they put on this act of speaking in tongues.

Like I said before, there is no biblical evidence that speaking in tongues is this extemporaneous thing that happens when one is filled with the Spirit to a special degree. And where, by the way, do we get this idea of being "baptized in the Holy Spirit"? As far as I can tell, there are only two passages in the new testament that speak of being baptized by the Holy Spirit; and in those areas, it is used in contrast to the baptism of John by water.

I believe that the baptism of the Holy Spirit happens when someone is converted. They get saved, and the Holy Spirit cleanses them and brings them into the body of Christ, the Church, through spiritual baptism. There is no evidence in Scripture to support anything else--especially because it's only mentioned in those 2 passages.

So, you may believe differently, but again, there's no Scripture to back up your belief. I think you need to take a look at what your church practices and see if it lines up with the Bible's teaching, or if it's merely the result of traditions and the teachings of man, which Jesus warned against in Matthew 15.

God has done the impossible! He has, in effect, changed a leopard's spots into stripes! He turned me, one who was accustomed to do evil, into one who can walk in good works! He brought me to life from the dead and gave me His Spirit, in order to cause me to walk in His statutes! He has totally changed me, and it is all for His glory!
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

I'm going to naturally assume you two don't agree with each other! Haha!!
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Yes, I don't think we agree. But I would hope my opinion is more believable, because I've used nothing but Scripture to back it up, while he has used no Scripture. ;)

Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

I completely agree with what Christian A. is saying. The passage from which I think he was getting his backup is 1 Corinthians 14:14 Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue[a] does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. 3 But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[c] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified. What I understand from this passage is that speaking in tounges is something you do by yourself, in your private time with the Lord. What if a nonChristian were to walk into your church right when this was going on? I for one would think the church had gone berserk and everyone was crazy(no offense to the Pentecostals here). As the passage (and as Christian A.) so wisely put it, speaking in tounges is not something that will edify the entire church and definetly not an unChristian happening to be visiting your church. It is also my belief that if no one is able to translate your "message" than this is not a truly the Holy Spirit entering you. I think what really is happening here is something like halucination. The strain and pressure upon you (and as one commenter said, "the sweat in his palm") causes the believer to blabber some unintelligible words. This though does not mean that I completely disregard speaking in tounges. If one is able to speak in a true language or one is able to be translated than go for it. But if not... than I say keep your "tounges" at home so as not to confuse a service meant for edification. (: I hope no one has been offended by this short speech, universally I believe that both Pentecostals and Baptists are a part of Body of Christ even though we may disagree on some points(:
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Smile Awhile
Cookies & Creme

sheltiez wrote:At Pentecost, tongues meant languages (for example, Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Aramaic, Syriac, etc.). In this kind of tongues, it is a non-understandable language that only God supposedly knows. I believe in the gift of tongues, just not like this.
Actually, a missionary I know had one of their people speak in tongues. One of the people they were with said it was their language. They actually translated the tongues! Guess that gets you!
What do you want here? You can move along to the next post now; nothing fun here in my signature.
brittany k
Peanut Butter Cup

i'm pentecostal too, so i defintly believe in it! it's awesome!
I'm a crazy gal! :)
I love life! :)
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

To all of those who are posting in this topic just to say "I believe this is true" but now showing any Biblical evidence as to why you believe it, shame on you. I'd like to challenge each of you to make sure you don't just take the things you learn at church at face value, make sure that everything you believe lines up with the Bible, so if people oppose what you believe, you can tell them why you believe it, instead of just that you believe it. I haven't posted on here yet, because I'm still working on what and why I believe regarding this subject.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

brittany k wrote:i'm pentecostal too, so i defintly believe in it! it's awesome!

It sure is. I can't agree with you anymore. Unless I say its Epic which it is..
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Renae
Fudge Marble

Smile Awhile wrote:
sheltiez wrote:At Pentecost, tongues meant languages (for example, Greek, Hebrew, Latin, Aramaic, Syriac, etc.). In this kind of tongues, it is a non-understandable language that only God supposedly knows. I believe in the gift of tongues, just not like this.
Actually, a missionary I know had one of their people speak in tongues. One of the people they were with said it was their language. They actually translated the tongues! Guess that gets you!

yes!!! i can't agree with you more!! this type of speaking in tongues is sooo helpful!! and definitely amazing!
my problem tho is that some ( I repeat, ONLY SOME!!!) Pentecostal churches put way to much stress and emphasis on the type of speaking in tongues in which no one can comprehend what you are saying, instead of putting emphasis on reaching the nonChristians with the message of faith! if the entire Pentecostal church would speak in intelligible tongues and languages that one could understand, imagine what a light and an amazing witness they could be in foreign countries!!!!! :)
HannahJ.
Mocha Jamocha

Speaking in tongues is meant to be a language between you and Jesus! It's not supposed to be a WHOLE world knows what I'm saying thing at all. Is learning say Hebrew really making a difference in your life? Like I have literally felt God hugging me. NO JOKE. It is cause I'm filled with his spirit and I speak in tongues. I understand where y'all are coming from. Most of my life I thought it was ridiculous and people that spoke in tongues were ungodly..
Why do nothing when you can Dance?
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

HannahJ. wrote:Speaking in tongues is meant to be a language between you and Jesus! It's not supposed to be a WHOLE world knows what I'm saying thing at all. Is learning say Hebrew really making a difference in your life? Like I have literally felt God hugging me. NO JOKE. It is cause I'm filled with his spirit and I speak in tongues. I understand where y'all are coming from. Most of my life I thought it was ridiculous and people that spoke in tongues were ungodly..
And, where do you find this in the Bible? I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but unless you can post your opinions on here accompanied with why you believe that way, it's really pretty useless to the conversation.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Renae
Fudge Marble

HannahJ. wrote:Speaking in tongues is meant to be a language between you and Jesus! It's not supposed to be a WHOLE world knows what I'm saying thing at all. Is learning say Hebrew really making a difference in your life? Like I have literally felt God hugging me. NO JOKE. It is cause I'm filled with his spirit and I speak in tongues. I understand where y'all are coming from. Most of my life I thought it was ridiculous and people that spoke in tongues were ungodly..

yes... Hannah but if you would have read my first post on here you also would understand where I'M coming from. What I am saying is that this type of 'speaking in tounges' (in which you have your own language) should not be done at church merely because (and I quote from Scripture itself) "it does not edify the Church". This is such a valid reason, and is one that should be taken into consideration! In my second post I was also very clear when I stated that the type of "speaking in tounges" in which a person speaks in an identifible language is the only kind that should be done during the service or in ministry (and this is also drawn from the Bible). Let me also clarify that I never said " it was ridiculous and people that spoke in tongues were ungodly.." I would never ever presume to say such a thing. again no offense to anyone (:
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

I would echo what Aaron Wiley said. Why do you come on here and declare that all I and others have been saying is incorrect, when we have been giving all the Bible references, and you have been giving none? Don't just go by your feelings and experiences and what you've always been taught. Go by what the Bible says.

gabbygirl17
Mint Chocolate Chip

At my church I heard last Sunday not October 7th but the week before God was really IN the service. The presence of God was there! Isn't that such a great thing to have!! God IN your Church, not beside it or outside looking, but Attending it! The Holy Spirit moving and coming to the service.
"Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts." - Jeremiah 15:16
Striped Leopard
Cookies & Creme

Umm... isn't the Holy Spirit always in "church"? He indwells every believer, so if there are believers in your church (which, there would have to be, otherwise it wouldn't be a church), then the Holy Spirit is always there. God is always present with His people--especially when they assemble together on His Day in His house. As Revelation says, Jesus is walking in the midst of His lampstands, the churches, on the Lord's Day.

Renae
Fudge Marble

Aaron Wiley wrote:
And, where do you find this in the Bible? I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you, but unless you can post your opinions on here accompanied with why you believe that way, it's really pretty useless to the conversation.
yes.. Hannah, could you please show me where you find this in the Bible? I would really like to know.