Does the SS need a chat?

Anything important goes on the bulletin board, including the rules and guidelines.

Chat?

Yes!
70%
No.
9%
Don't really care either way. >_<
22%

Total votes: 69

shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Woah. PF's post just- *poof*- disapeared!

-- Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 am --

Ya know, a bright idea might be, for those who want the chat back, to maybe make a petition or something... I don't know. Emma's stupid idea of the day.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

Does the fact we have a three page topic dedicated to the subject mean we need a chat? *heh heh*
I still think the "Arkán Compromise" I proffered is a good solution. I think the Admins are leaving the question hanging to enjoy watching the members bash heads with each other.
~ Walker in Dreams
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

But I do like talking live. And the SS chat was the nicest one. I still consider the notion (admittedly mine) of having the chat about once a week the best one.
~ Walker in Dreams
Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:But I do like talking live. And the SS chat was the nicest one. I still consider the notion (admittedly mine) of having the chat about once a week the best one.
I personally disagree with that idea because what if someone(Or lots of people) couldn't ever make it on that day? I'm with the "leave the chat open all the time" crowd.
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

For those of you who want the chat, maybe you could make a petition. Look at my post on the other discussion on the chat.
High wellborn Lady shnoodlec Knight of the Order of Augustine, formally known as Queen of the Monkeys. Q&A thread HERE. "SHNOOD IS THE OLDBIE NEWBIE AND SHE IS THE ONLY ONE WHO GETS THAT TITLE" - Belle
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

Metal15 wrote:
Arkán Dreamwalker wrote:But I do like talking live. And the SS chat was the nicest one. I still consider the notion (admittedly mine) of having the chat about once a week the best one.
I personally disagree with that idea because what if someone(Or lots of people) couldn't ever make it on that day? I'm with the "leave the chat open all the time" crowd.
That's why when I originally put the idea forward, I suggested having it say, every three days, so it at different times and on different days.
~ Walker in Dreams
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

Honestly, I say BRING THE CHAT BACK! For those who don't want the chat, don't use it. Perhaps we could try it out, and if people don't like it being back again, then we can send it away.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

The title of this thread is, "Does the SS Need a Chat?" Not, "Do People Want a Chat?" Obviously, a lot of people do. But if you join the boyscouts, even if you want to go to the movies every day instead of camping, they're not going to install a theater. Feel free to go to the movies, but do it someplace else. We can talk about the obscurities of this question till we're blue in the face, but the answer to "Does the SS Need a Chat" is a resounding no. We have a healthy number of posts without the chat. With the chat, posts tended to slowly but surely go down, with periods of no posts whatsoever. You can say the SS had more posts back when we had the chat, but if you actually checked the numbers, you know that's simply not true. Statistically speaking, if the mods and admins bring back the chat, they'll be shooting themselves in the supportive walking mechanism, to borrow the colloquialism.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

But, many members left when we closed the chat on here. And call me insane, but sometimes I come on here and don't post anything and just kind of lurk around in the shadows. I think other people do that. At least, I hope not some sort of strange mutant creature who does everything that it's not supposed to. O.o
Helios
Butter Pecan

Lurking...that sounds like a creeper... :)

But could someone explain to me, briefly, what chat was on here before it got removed? I thought there already WAS a chat room. :?
shnoodlec.
Fudge Marble

No, there was one just for the SS. Like, on-site.
Wakko
Pistachio

shnoodlec wrote:But, many members left when we closed the chat on here. And call me insane, but sometimes I come on here and don't post anything and just kind of lurk around in the shadows. I think other people do that. At least, I hope not some sort of strange mutant creature who does everything that it's not supposed to. O.o
I do that a lot. I'm on here daily just reading the posts.
SirWhit
Banana Fudge

Yeah, I don't really care if we have a chat or not, since I probably won't use it.
Nelson S.
Mint Chocolate Chip

@Helios,

The chat that was here originally was near the bottom of the page on the Board index. So right when you sign in, it was right there; making it very accessible. Which is probably the main reason posts decreased significantly and came to almost a complete stop.

The chat was removed near the beginning of 2013 because no one posted on the board and a few other things. So people have been wanting the chat back since then.

ToO Chat was added to the board menu bar because the good people from Town of Odyssey said that Soda Shoppers were welcome to join their chat room. And many Soda Shoppers spend their time there. I rather enjoy being there. I've even met three of my friends from the ToO Chat in real life that I probably wouldn't have met otherwise.

Hope your question was answered.
Helios
Butter Pecan

Thanks, Benja--er, Nelson. ;) That explains everything.

I saw your pictures from when you met those guys. Very interesting. :P
Jimmy Barclay
Caramel Crunch

And the days continue to click by....almost a year with no chat. I've come to the conclusion that it really doesn't make a difference either way. Our activity hasn't gone up that much, if any without it...so why not bring it back. In being on here for the first time in months....it honestly looks pretty dead. Almost all the topics are the same...with maybe a few new posts on some of them...but othet than that...no exciting debates, discussions, or games that used to frequent this board. I think a chat would help our new members gain an identity...which would give them the confidence to start posting on the main board. Just a thought, but as I said...right now it appears a little stale in here.

Jimmy Barclay: Faithful companion of Drama Queen, aka Renae.

"And besides, it's salmon patty and broccoli night.......yulghth"
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

Nelson S. wrote:@Helios,

The chat that was here originally was near the bottom of the page on the Board index. So right when you sign in, it was right there; making it very accessible. Which is probably the main reason posts decreased significantly and came to almost a complete stop.

The chat was removed near the beginning of 2013 because no one posted on the board and a few other things. So people have been wanting the chat back since then.

ToO Chat was added to the board menu bar because the good people from Town of Odyssey said that Soda Shoppers were welcome to join their chat room. And many Soda Shoppers spend their time there. I rather enjoy being there. I've even met three of my friends from the ToO Chat in real life that I probably wouldn't have met otherwise.

Hope your question was answered.
wait I thought that Bren accidently got rid of it...
LOTR IS AWESOME
Wakko
Pistachio

Jimmy Barclay wrote:no exciting debates,
I'd say that's pretty debatable. XD I'd still love the chat back. Whenever it was around I didn't frequent here often so I never got to use the chat, I would if it came back.
EDIT:
What's keeping the chat away? According to the poll only 5 out of 51 people don't want the chat to come back. Is it the mods? Excessive flirting in the chat? PF?
arwen
Caramel Crunch

Hey why did they take away the chat anyway?
Helios
Butter Pecan

Someone accidentally deleted it during maintenance (I think). One of those annoying yet impossible-to-avoid computer thingies that happen sometimes after you spill coffee over the keyboard.

Okay, that last part was just a joke. But it really was an accident.