Does the SS need a chat?

Anything important goes on the bulletin board, including the rules and guidelines.

Chat?

Yes!
70%
No.
9%
Don't really care either way. >_<
22%

Total votes: 69

Metal15
Peanut Butter Cup

I voted yes, that chat rocked. :D
I'm the leader of the KRE, the group dedicated to countering ERK the Emily-centered cult. Join either team, you'll have a blast.

My Youtube channel --> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8Nt7 ... ILthNNlUww

Feminism is cray.

FREEDOM!!!

Music FB page: https://www.facebook.com/louismusicdefinitelyofficial/
dolphinlovr4ever
Caramel Crunch

Oliver No I really want to
Bethany Shepard
Moose Tracks

I think chat would be great! But as Ben said, "The only problem I have with a chat on the board is the drama."

So I guess I feel the same. I'll be happy if it comes back, but if it doesn't... I'm not gonna die of heart break.
"I am not a demon. I am a lizard, a shark, a heat-seeking panther.
I want to be Bob Denver on acid playing the accordion."
-Nicolas Cage
Stella C.
Peach Cobbler

I would have to agree with pretty much everyone ('cept *coughs* PF). I miss the chat, but I'll have to agree with Beth and Ben as well. Drama wasn't to fun :p But I do miss the chats we had. Goodness, it's been forever since I've talked to Fodo! But, ya, I'm not gonna DIE if it never comes back.
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring. -Proverbs 27:1
Sam: Up on our mountain, where the muffins stink, the boys aren't, and we play music all day long.. xD
Stella: Sounds AWESOME!
NateVONgreat
Cookies & Creme

I know SS stands for soda shoppe, or shop ,,
and i know im not a member, but i really dont like the name "SS"
that is the name of the Nazi secret service, maybe its just me (the jewish - Israeli) but, I dont like it

Sandwiches are wonderful
Sandwiches are fine!
I like sandwiches, I eat them all the time!
Tea Ess
Pineapple Whip

That's been mentioned before. :? It is unfortunate that SS would have other undesirable implications, but I would like to point out that the Nazi secret service is only one of several meanings. Some of the other things it stands for are Social Security and steamship.

As for the Soda Shop chat, I would encourage everyone reading this topic to not only vote, but give a detailed explanation for their opinion. It's difficult to get a good feel for the whole board's views if we only go by a simple poll.

As for my opinion, I would like to try reinstating an official chat. I feel that:

1. We already spend a lot of time on the ToO chat. Multiple ToO members have expressed their happiness with the activity, and many members, including myself, have made many fun memories there. Soda Shop members are already spending time in various chats, so I am inclined to think that having an official chat would not take any more attention away from the rest of the boards. Thus, I don't believe that the argument that board activity will go down is a reliable one.

2. I still have many, many fond memories of the old Soda Shop chat. It provided an opportunity to get to know many people in a way I couldn't have otherwise.

3. If possible, I would personally prefer a chat not on the main index, and one that would require a Soda Shop membership to join/chat. If anyone wishes, I can expand on these points.

I'm not experienced enough in the different options available to us, so it would be beneficial to me and probably for the rest of the board if anyone could suggest some chat options for the board.

Three people have voted no so far, but what are the reasons? (glances towards PF)

Thank you very much for creating the topic, Wren.
"Happy Birthday to Hot Leaf Water Ess!" - Belle
Whitfan
Strawberry

I say bring it back. I like chatting with different people. Would be good to meet some of you and see how your day is gong.
"Don't give up on your faith. Love comes to those who believe it. And that's the way it is."
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

I was also thinking that maybe if you guys brought the chat back when new people can more of them would hang around if they saw the chat. idk just my thereoy. cause that's how it was for me if when I came there had been no chat I probably wouldn't have stayed.cuz I wanted to talk to people. so ya my thereoy =D

Aslo I can't spell....
LOTR IS AWESOME
dolphinlovr4ever
Caramel Crunch

Oliver I stayed because I thought The ss was so awsome but a chat would be awesome I would really want to know more people
godisawesomeness99
Raspberry Ripple

well, it's not a matter of need, it's a matter of want.......

but HECK YES! I mean, bring it back!
here from time to time....

Psalm 73:24
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

T.S. (myself) wrote:2. I still have many, many fond memories of the old Soda Shop chat. It provided an opportunity to get to know many people in a way I couldn't have otherwise.
EXACTAMUNDO!

You've said it!! *gives T.S. a hearty slap of the back*
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Arkán Dreamwalker
Pistachio

I was just hit on the head by, if I do say so myself, a brilliant idea. (Ouch.)
I believe the main issues are:
A. Chat distracts from board, and people can miss posts in the chat as opposed to the board.
B. It's nice to talk to people live.
Suppose the Chat was available for a couple hours a week?
Say Wednesdays from 5:00 to 7:00 for example. Then the board would not be neglected, and people could still talk to each other live now and then. And having only one time a week means everyone who wanted to chat would be on at once and could chat with everyone they want to.
It sounds like a brilliant compromise to me. 8)
~ Walker in Dreams
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Good point, Arkan. That could work.
TS, well, as you asked an opinion form little me...

assertion:The Soda Shop needs a chat. The number of posts goes down without it. The chat attracts people to the site, that can only be good for it.
reality: First off, we've had so little time without the chat since it was obliterated that it's too early to tell. Second, we've always gotten hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of posts. Further, have you actually checked those numbers? Before the chat ever existed, the SS had a healthy number of posts. And after the chat was eliminated, we experienced an almost unprecedented upswing in posts. The. Chat. Was. A. Failed. Experiment. Plus, while we had the chat, we had unusually long periods with little no no posting.

assertion: But what about all the users who have become more comfortable with SS through the chat?

reality: Some of them never really became big contributors, because they just wanted to chat. Torie, for instance, was a huge proponent of the chat and insisted it stay whenever anyone opposed it. Yet, she rarely posted, and even more rarely outside of General Discussion in the actual Odyssey board. Once the chat was gone, some users who were almost entirely chatters became huge contributors to the Odyssey Board. Such as Waldo, who made many posts and topics once the chat vanished, as the distraction was no longer present.

assertion: That still doesn't mean chat users never become good Soda Shoppers.

In reality, the chat rarely helps users become familiar with the Soda Shop, it helps them become familiar with the chat.
The chat is one place to break the ice, but we already have places, such as introduce yourself. What's wrong with them? Those are places that are actually part of SS, and those who join us there have no danger of becoming trapped in the chat itself.

But the chat was so fun. Think of all the good times we had in it.

Yes, and we also have good times on the board.

The chat is the best way to connect to each other. We can talk about whatever we please. We can interact instantly. Have actual conversations. It's a wonderful opportunity for us to just enjoy each others' company and be goofy.
this is not a social site. There are millions of spots for just chatting, you could do it anywhere. There is nothing special about a chat for talking about anything.The ss doesn't need one.

That's inconvenient.

Yes, and if you really cared about interacting with the people here, you'd be willing to put up with a tiny bit of inconvenience. Before the chat, we took it for granted we would get to know the people we truly wanted to connect with through pm. Yet, without the chat, many people make little use to connect. "Goodness, I haven't talked to Fodo in forever." If you actually care about talking, make an effort and (gasp) send a pm.

You talk as if the chat is somehow terrible. It's just fun. It hasn't harmed the Soda Shop or anyone in it.

Would someone make a Flirting topic or announce in a topic that someone had committed suicide? No. No one has, no one will. Why do I bring this up?
In the chat, such a thing is easy, as the chat is random anyway. some users constantly flirted in the chat, which nearly caused us to be shut down.
As in permanently.
Kaput.
No more SS.
That's right, the chat nearly got SS obliterated. Shortly after, another user told some untruths in the chat concerning drugs and suicide. Would this have happened without the chat?
So yes, the chat can be said to be somewhat harmful.

But we all enjoy it. We talk about all kinds of things. It's a friendly, wonderful, unique environment. It's a shame to lose that.

Again, this can be done in any ol' chat room. And the conversations in the chat were often rather pointless. It's fine if you enjoy that kind of thing, but that's not what SS is for. Plus, even some of the people who like it most would be better off without it. Remeber? Remember? You could come on at any time of day, and someone would be there. Some people would be on nearly all day, regularly. Wooton, Froggy, Suzy even me all too often... many productive users wasted countless hours, daily. So, in summary, that chat has...

Lessened posts, is unneeded, and has actually, if indirectly, led to deception and online (sometimes nearly sexual) flirtation and almost got the whole Soda Shop obliterated.

Look, I just have this deep desire to make small talk with people I'v never laid eyes on!

Tough.

The Soda Shop is a wonderful place. Intended to talk about Odyssey. That's something most of us can't do with our friends in real life. That is our bond. That is what this place is.
For people who care about Adventures in Odyssey. A place of wonder, excitement, and discovery.
That's not what it was when the chat was here. When we brought the chat in, we started to lost so much of that.
Look at the basic facts:
The Soda Shop is to talk about Odyssey. The chat isn't.
Please. Please.
Don't bring the chat back. I love this place. Let's not do that to it.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
yelsew
Fudge Marble
Location: Some "Grand" state. near "Arizona's Christmas City".

Ok I've been meaning to post in this. As much as I would still love to see it come back... PF has some good points. Umm... If you guys decide to bring it back, I would be thrilled. But I do think that it should be limited in some way. But if you guys decide to not bring it back, I would try to accept that. I do see that without the chat I do post a little more. And it seems others try to a little more also. The way it is now isn't SO bad, and I guess I could live with that. ;) anyway. In fewer words, I would love to see it come back. Just limited in some way. But I wouldn't die if you didn't bring it back. ;)
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Pound Foolish wrote: In the chat, such a thing is easy, as the chat is random anyway. some users constantly flirted in the chat, which nearly caused us to be shut down.
*ahem*
Some members? Such as a particular Emily-loving, chat-hating opposite of Penny Wise? I understand the rest of your points, but I really don't think you have the grounds to complain about this...
And I still think having the chat back would be great.
@Arkan- The only problem with that idea would be that an admin would have to be one everyday at that specific time to put it up and take it down again. Other than that it's a great idea.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Renae
Fudge Marble

underseasie wrote:
Pound Foolish wrote: In the chat, such a thing is easy, as the chat is random anyway. some users constantly flirted in the chat, which nearly caused us to be shut down.
*ahem*
Some members? Such as a particular Emily-loving, chat-hating opposite of Penny Wise? I understand the rest of your points, but I really don't think you have the grounds to complain about this...
Yes, Rosy. I was going to comment on this as well.

Frankly, I was a little peeved by that part in your post, Pound Foolish. I do not want to point fingers however I don't think I even need to as I believe your reputation is already a little tainted by your activity on the chat. Flirting was always a major issue on the chat, but more often that not it was you yourself who were the guilty party in this.
I do not disagree with all of your arguments (and many of them have made me rethink my position), however I completely object to your using the problem of said flirts to defend your case because you would be the only one left on the SS who would fall into this category.

I respect you Pound Foolish, and if this post was offensive to you, I will gladly delete it.
fodo14
Raspberry Ripple

I like Chocolate Milk.....and sure...bring it back.
Renae
Fudge Marble

fodo14 wrote:I like Chocolate Milk
Yes, I can see how this would affect the presence of chat on the boards. :geek:
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Renae wrote:Frankly, I was a little peeved by that part in your post, Pound Foolish. I do not want to point fingers however I don't think I even need to as I believe your reputation is already a little tainted by your activity on the chat. Flirting was always a major issue on the chat, but more often that not it was you yourself who were the guilty party in this.
I do not disagree with all of your arguments (and many of them have made me rethink my position), however I completely object to your using the problem of said flirts to defend your case because you would be the only one left on the SS who would fall into this category.
Thank you for pointing that out, Renae. You are absolutely right. I tried to avoid making my post personal, I wanted it to be as universal as possible so that it was clear these are actual facts rather than opinion.
However, you are owed an apology as far as the flirting issue. Yes, I did it quite a bit with Suzy, but that was, as we all know, a joke. The mods were mostly, and all the admins, fine with it. Sweetie Lou and I have many ways of expressing our long deep and innocent friendship.
However, it was out of hand it is fortunate it had to stop. I was very wrong.
It is worth saying, however, a certain girl many of us will remember, also was rather flirtatious. Granted, I tended to flirt back. I humbly agologize again. It was quite terrible, especially since she's so young. She literally asked to, and would say she felt, "left out" when I "flirted" with Suzy Lou Foolish. I had no idea, for the longest time, how seriously she took it.
It is worth noting that none of this would have happened without the chat.
Now that that is all out of the way, remember, you only addressed that one point. That point remains intact (especially as many other flirted as well) and that was only a passing mention in the list of reasons.
Again, please accept my apologies. Please don't let's bring the chat back simply because I am as guilty (if not more) as anyone.
The fact remains the chat is not necessarily a good thing. That I or anyone flirted in it hardly helps the chat's favor.
“I absolutely demand of you and everyone I know that they be widely read in every [censored] field there is: in every religion and every art form and don’t tell me you haven’t got time! There’s plenty of time.”~ Ray Bradbury
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

why do u people keep saying that the chat disracts people from the board? cuz it isn't true...people actually posted MORE when the chat was here....
LOTR IS AWESOME