Does the SS need a chat?

Anything important goes on the bulletin board, including the rules and guidelines.

Chat?

Yes!
70%
No.
9%
Don't really care either way. >_<
22%

Total votes: 69

arwen
Caramel Crunch

Oh,that really stinks....
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

@Bren when are you bringing the chat back?
I miss chating on here :(
LOTR IS AWESOME
Rosy
Cookie Dough

Oliver wrote:@Bren when are you bringing the chat back?
I miss chating on here :(
Bren wrote:Actually, there probably won't be a chat any time soon.
God's Girl wrote:
Renae wrote:May ask why? Is it still down, or do you guys find that the SS gets on better without it?
We haven't decided exactly what we are going to do with it yet. :)
Here is your answer.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

WHAT????!!!!
The SS totally needs the chat!!!!!!
LOTR IS AWESOME
Bren
Cookie Dough
Cookie Dough

At this time I'd say move on without it. We did it before and can do it again. Besides, people might actually post for a change.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

As you know, the chat's been down for a few days. Because of certain changes that have occured in the board, we've decided not to bring it back at all.

Woah now, what? Not at ALL?!

Well, kinda. We're just not bringing it back the way it was, sitting right there on the front page. We feel like the chat was distracting from the main board when it was sitting there, and thus, destroying purpose for the board even existing at all. Since the chat's been down, activity on the board itself has improved.

So now, instead of bringing back the chat we originally had, we're working on setting up something similar, but likely off site. It'll still be linked with the SS, but possibly not hosted right here (probably something like the ToO chat). Sorry to all those who enjoyed the way things were set up before, but this just seems like the right course of action for keeping the board focused on what it was made for.

We'll keep you up to date on this topic with future updates on what'll happen with the chat. As soon as we have a working chat room, we'll be sure to let you guys know ASAP.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
Renae
Fudge Marble
Location: ....I'll be in a different place every time you read this....

Can I ask a question?
If yes: Will one have to be a member of the SS in order to access this chat?
Renae: Faithful companion of Drama King, aka Jimmy Barclay.
Aaron Wiley
Pistachio

Not sure yet, but probably not. We've looked into different clients, and most of them don't work the way the last one did, requiring you to be logged in on the main board in order to access the chat.
"I strive to be an Elephant" - Odyssey Fan Wiley
DanP740
Chocolate Chip

As always, everybody is welcome on the ToO chat.
Renae
Fudge Marble

Ok, this suggestion is based on the assumption that it would be preferable for only members to be able to access this chat. If not, then you can disregard this post.

That said, maybe you could create a profile for the chat in which the link for the chat is given (since only members can view profiles). Of course this would require the rule that members do not share this link. Just a thought.
arwen
Caramel Crunch

That's stupid!!!!

It seemed like there were more people on and posting with the chat.
Liz'alike
Cookie Dough

To back up Renau's post: I would feel safer, as would my parents, if it was closed to SS members. Other wise, who know's what kind of creep could come on...

Though I am glad that it is going to be separate :D I also feel the activity on the board has been much more affluent since our dear 'chat' left.
Oliver
Cookies & Creme

Totally right, Arwen.
LOTR IS AWESOME
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

I'm not sure it that's true, Arwen. I have noticed it there is a lot more discussion everywhere else. You can actually have a lot of fun on just the board. That's how it was in the beginning. We all got to know each other everywhere but the chat. I think it's a good change. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the chat, and do miss it, but I think that it's good we all have a break :D
Rosy
Cookie Dough

arwen wrote:That's stupid!!!!

It seemed like there were more people on and posting with the chat.
More people on and posting...on the chat, maybe.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally excited that the chat is gone, but I do believe that it's for the best. The admins and mods on this board are only interested in the good for this board and it's members, they're not doing this just to be mean.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Rosy
Cookie Dough

arwen wrote:It's still stupid...
Why is it stupid? I'm not trying to be mean, I'd jut like to know why you think it's stupid.
꿈. 희망. 전진.
Pound Foolish
Coffee Biscotti

Zip a dee doo DAH! Zip a dee-AY. My oh my, what a wonderful day!
  • "Pound Foolish, I just adoreee arguing with you! Here, have an eyeball."
~Suzy Lou Foolish

As the founder of the E.R.K., may I say: Emily RULES!
Renae
Fudge Marble

@Arwen
This is a quote from Jacob Isom's topic about the purpose of the SS boards:
'The Soda Shop Message Boards have been provided mainly to discuss Adventures in Odyssey―a more narrowed down message board pertaining to Focus on the Family's popular audio series for "tweens." '

^^I believe this is what the Admins are trying to achieve through this new change. This board was created to discuss AiO, and once the chat becomes the main reason that people join this site and starts being the main focus of our members, everything starts going downhill from there. We begin to gradually lose sight of our purpose here on the SS, and swerve from being " A Gathering Place for Adventures in Odyssey Fans Everywhere", to basically being "A Gathering Place for Chat Fans Everywhere".

So please try to understand that this change is all for the good. The Admins are not simply trying to be cruel tyrants (in fact they were gracious enough to still leave us a chat, only in a different from). Instead of being angry or upset, lets accept these facts and realize that this change is for the betterment of the Soda Shop Message Boards, a gathering place for Adventures in Odyssey fans everywhere.
Kaida
Fudge Marble

Liz'alike wrote:To back up Renau's post: I would feel safer, as would my parents, if it was closed to SS members. Other wise, who know's what kind of creep could come on...
We can probably try to make the link to the chat only able to be seen by members of the board and not guests. So pretty much only members can access it..
Isaiah 40:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31
Connie_Kendall
Peanut Butter Cup

Okay, that's good. I was a bit uncomfortable with it being open to everyone. Thanks! :D